Photo by Melody

Article: Are Falls Getting Shorter?: Fall

Communities > Forums > Article: Are Falls Getting Shorter?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Are Falls Getting Shorter?Replies: 10, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ves522

ves522
Jim Falls, WI
(Zone 4a)

November 7, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9326802

Morning Adina

I thought our fall was a bit late. The leaves lingered nicely but when they went they went with a BANG! We got a normal frost and because it was so dry this summer everything was done early. I was also!

The weather we are having now is unusual. It is just too nice. Not that I am complaining but Will we be hit this winter? Time will tell.

This oak is one of the last to loose it's leaves and I think that was about mid Oct. or a bit later this year.

Thanks for the wonderful article.

Vicki

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 7, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9326955

Hi Vicki, thanks for the comments. I'm also wondering about the nice weather, but I already heard about the winter we're going to have and it's going to be harder than the last one. I'm already worried!
I have an apricot in my garden which hasn't lost its leaves yet. They're just starting to turn yellow, one or two of them. Weird! I heard that crocuses are popping out in the park and strawberries are blooming again in some places. Anyway, this won't last long, it's getting cold already. Let's pray for a mild winter for everyone!

Adina

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9326992

I'm with Adina. Let's all hope for a mild Winter!

LOVE the article! Such pretty photos. Thank you!

Our Fall has been very nice this year. Cool at night, warm in the daytime. Too bad it has to end.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 7, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9327108

Celia, thanks! I agree, fall should stay longer. In Romania it seems it has just started!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9327471

It's nice to see the beautiful colors of your Fall Adina. Looking forward to a nice winter for all of us. :-)

Tam
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 7, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9327479

Adina; When is your first expected Frost date?
Ours is suppose to be the second week of Oct, but mostly it comes at the end of Oct. This year it came early as far as I am concerned - the second week of Oct???

I still have a garden even though we have had not only heavy frost, but actually freezes too.
It is however just cold - fall crops like turnips, kale, cabbage, --hmmmm I do have lettuce though because; I built them a small cozy tent.

Loved your pictures. They are amazing. Romania must be a very, very beautiful country to have such trees in the fall. and thank you for taking the time to share them.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 8, 2012
1:39 AM

Post #9327597

Thank you Tam! We both had our share last winter so maybe we'll be spared this time!
Liquidambar, thank you! Good for you for having so many veggies! Our frost was at the end of October,, but then the temps went high again...higher than usual! They're coming down back to normal now.

Adina
fwromanian
Perkasie, PA

November 12, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9330972

Hi Adina,

Great article! Great pics! I'm happy you got to photograph the trees...
And do you know, my husband and I went for a 10 mile walk yesterday, beautiful and very pitoresque trail along the edge of the Delaware river, lots of trees and I was thinking exactly the same thing...most of the trees have lost their leaves already...as much as we loved the trail and river view, I was disappointed there weren't more colorful leaves...
We normally have the same amazing colors in the fall, as you do...
Oh, and I'm frightening to read you might have an even harder winter than you guys did last year...it surely can't be any harder than that...I hope to god that prediction won't come true!

Many hugs!
Monica

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 12, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9331283

Hi Monica,
I hope so too! So far the weather is nice for November, but we're expecting snow by the end of the month.
Our trees have beautiful colors now, but I didn't have time to take any pictures yet. I've been busy cleaning up the garden and digging...which is very exausting!LOL But I'm digging a bit every day and rest...I'll do as much as I can, but maybe my son will help digging too.
I'm sorry you couldn't see the trees turning. I'll try to take some pics on my way to the office and show it to you. Lots of oaks are turning so beautiful along the way to Casa Scanteii, near the Herastrau Park.
Thank you for your kind words!

Hugs,
Adina
fwromanian
Perkasie, PA

November 12, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9331426

Are you digging to kill the weeds again? See? I remember...I'm planning on doing the same this year...
I started by digging my cannas, dahlias and gladioli...I was thrilled to see that they made babies...next year I'll have more, that is if I don't kill them when I divide them...well, I already divided the canna roots but I'm not sure I did it right...
I'm not sure if I should mulch the soil in my raised bed or not...
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 13, 2012
12:43 AM

Post #9331738

Monica, you remembered! Yes, I still have lots of weeds and since I don't want to use a herbicide, this is the best method for killing some of them...and for working out!LOL
Hooray for your canna, gladioli and dahlia babies!
I don't know much about mulching, but they say it's good, especially if you have plants in there.

Adina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Are Falls Getting Shorter? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lovely candyinpok 1 Nov 12, 2012 5:05 AM
Wet Summer lortay 3 Nov 14, 2012 10:15 PM
Too true! What? We had fall? holly85749 1 Nov 13, 2012 12:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America