Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tropical Plants: Tropical Garden #127

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 205, Views: 1,914
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 7, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9327226

Please share your pictures of your tropical plants with us or any other plants.Now that it is getting cold, seeing beautiful tropical flowers and plants helps to brighten a dreary day!

We came from here:http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281645/

Looking forward to Spring already...

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9327256

Are these Amaryllis blooming NOW?!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9327279

Thanks for starting a new thread Paula!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 7, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9327325

LOL...no..last year. Just posted those in my relation to' looking forward to spring'. We've had two days of cold weather and I am already tired of it. Supposed to be 37 tonight...yuck!! I just hate to see things all brown and ugly! Thank goodness for my GH or I think I would have severe depression not seeing anything bloom.

Hi Drew...got all your babies tucked away?? Where is AeAe?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9327564

love thos amarillis bulbs, I saw some really really nice ones at my local feed n seed, last year at ACE I got an Elvis for someone.. I have a lovely moonlight, she isn't blooming yet.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9327617

This message was edited Nov 8, 2012 6:22 AM

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9327618

Sorry... it's early with no coffee yet!

Thumbnail by homer1958

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 8, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9327624

Aww, Drew...you didn't!!!Couldn't get it in the house this year? Is that a pup next to it? Have you cut it back before? I would be worried to death it wouldn't come back. I bet that was hard to do!! All the others look great. I have Big Boy in my family room. Hope he'll like it there for the next four months.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9327654

Paula has some of her extra plants listed for sale:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287213/

I asked for the vanilla Orchid, but everything else is up for grabs at great prices!!!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9327663

Paula .. Those bananas in the Sweet Potato can next to the pseudostem, are from this plant. As you may know, once they flower they are toast. Now it's time to raise the little ones!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9327716

awwwwww does that happen with bananas too?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 8, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9327734

That's right...forgot you posted that. I think I may have cut off the bloom...would that have prevented it from expiring? How old was it?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 8, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9327736

Are all those little ones I see coming up around mama? Looks like 5 or 6.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9327814

Once a banana stem makes a flower it is done, no matter if you let the flower make fruit or not. The leaves may hang on for a while, but the whole stem will gradually fade and die out.

Drew, you've got a couple of nice looking pups growing there, and new ones coming in Mama's pot too!

Speaking of pups . . we have a new grand daughter - Mallory Jane born last Friday. I am confident she will grow and bloom.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 8, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9327868

Awwwwwwww!!! Congratulations Elaine. She's beautiful!! Is this your first?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9327905

OMG!!! Congratulations to all, but especially Mallory - she is blessed with a WONDERFUL Gramma!!!!! Keep showing us pictures as this little stink weed grows up - we will be her 'Aunties/Uncle'!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9327968

That's pretty cool, to have online Aunties and Uncles. Thanks all, yes she is our first grandchild, and the first for the other grandparents, too. As you can imagine, it was a real Event for all of us.

Not much new in my garden - except !! My Brazilian Red Cloak that has been in bloom literally all summer lost its last flower head a week or two ago, and now there are new flower heads coming! Can't believe it. Either it is really happy, or it's saying sayonara. We shall see!
Red cloak new flowers
yellow milkweed
Blue Thunbergia blooming away

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9328028

Yes Paula, 5 all together. They haven't grown squat since last October (but I do have 2 more in the brood)! It was a pup about 2' tall when I bought it back on Dec.15th '10.

Elaine, That is the AeAe Flag leaf on those bananas that looks like another pup... The pup in the pot to the right, is a Ta Nee that I bought at the Aroid Show.

Thumbnail by homer1958

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9328129

OK, Paula - plant, corms and seeds are on their way to you!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9328293

Mallory Jane is beautiful, you must be floating on air, nothing better than a grand baby.

Do you believe what I found on this NOID nana? I am so bummed, it is November for goodness sakes!!!!!

Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9328433

Uh oh, poor confused nanner. That's a cool picture, though. Maybe it will warm up again, long enough for it to flower. You'll have to rent a really huge greenhouse to keep it warm enough to get fruit, though.

Yes, I almost wish I lived closer, but . .. I'll see baby and her parents again at Christmas, and they are coming for a visit here in January. I forsee even more travel in my future.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 9, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9328545

Gosh Drew...slow growers,huh? Maybe now that mama is cut back they will grow more. Can you eat those bananas?
My MIL has banana trees here and they've had actual bananas several times, but seems like they said they wasn't good to eat. We have one down at our house on the coast that has bananas, haven't checked on it lately. How long does it take them to mature?
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9328555

Yes, They are quite good from what I hear Paula... 2.5-3.5 months depending on the variety to ripen. If it is near a freeze you can cut off the fruit stem and place in a bucket of water to finish them off.

Alice, I have had many that bloomed late in the season. Hate it, but might as well make compost with it! Babies making the WORLD go round!

Philodendron maximum

Schefflera amate

Philodendron giganteum inflorescence

Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958      

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9328731

congratulations, Elaine! nothing in the world better than being called Grandma.. ou are going to have fun helping hat beauty grow and bloom.
Drew.. Speechless here..

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9328924

Thanks, Deb. I know it's going to be great. We're lucky that her parents like to go on vacation with us as we are all divers. Marsh and I will fight over who gets to stay dry and babysit on the beach!

So good for your health to have all those beautiful huge plants in the house over winter, Drew. Mm, clean air to breathe.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9329041

Here are some of my favorite tropical plants for winter - veggies in Earth Boxes! Tomato 'Momotaro' are in bloom already, grape tomatoes, eggplant 'Purple Rain', peppers and two kinds of broccoli are coming along like gangbusters. Basil 'Cardinal' will have great big red flower heads as well as tasty leaves. Trying for some celery this winter, didn't work last time I tried, though. We shall see! They used to grow it commercially in this area so it can be done, depends upon the weather I'm guessing.

Starting some seeds of nasturtiums this week to keep color going through the cool days. Maybe try some zinnias next spring to carry through until the tropical flowers take over again.

Heliconia 'Lady Di' still putting up flowers out front.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9329060

Must be nice growing veggies in the Winter. You guys deserve it though in that heat year round Elaine! Will that Heliconia live outside over here in the Piedmont?

Thanks Deb! All the credit goes to my wife for putting up with me and it!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9329120

Sorry Drew, they are usually cooler than we are during the summer. It is just not fair is it!

I have a heliconia I got from PDN last year. It is living and seemingly healthy but it has not bloomed for me. It is supposed to be hardy in Raleigh so it should be fine by you. I forget which variety it is but PDN carries it.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9329132

The heli's like lots of water and shade in the summer, although they are getting morning sun now, and loving it.

Heat year 'round?? Where?? I had to close the windows last night, it was so chilly. Perfect today, though. I am wearing long pants and will put on my sweatshirt before I go out again this evening.

I do have to cover the veggie plants if the nights get too cold, to keep them from going dormant. Last year we had tomatoes and peppers right through winter. Hoping for more this year. I'm helping with a school garden at the local elementary school, too. Wish us luck with the weather! We're trying for Stone Soup in December.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9329257

Thanks Alice!

Elaine, Stone Soup? Good luck with those temps!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9329303

If it gets as cold, here in Florida, as predicted for this Jan./Feb., you'll have to buy stones for your soup, 'cause that's all you'll have! LOL

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9329362

Here's the story on Stone Soup, Drew. Great kids story, and of course a morality tale for the rest of us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_soup

We really are blessed with great weather here, although the soupy nights in summer are a bit hard to take. It never got over 93 all this summer. Considering how hot it got elsewhere, we really can't complain. And it's so lovely the rest of the year . . .

My friend sent me this orchid division - Gerberara Snow Ballet - a month ago, and it is still blooming and beautiful. She just calls it "the weed".

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9329450

Good morning, everyone! Elaine, tell your friend we will all trade with her for her 'weed' Orchid!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9333481

LoL, Kay she's given away so many divisions of that orchid, it's a wonder it's not in the Invasives list.

Where the heck is everybody gone? The weather must be really good and they're all out in their gardens. I guess that's where I've been, too. Although I have the excuse of visiting family, and beach/boating days to fall back on.

Here's an orchid growing in a "living wall" which I must admit I'd never have thought of, but it sure seems to be happy.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2012
3:15 AM

Post #9333606

Beautiful plant wall!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9333613

Elaine, What is the name of the plant with the round leaves?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 15, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9333617

ooo, let me guess...peperomia?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 15, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9333618

I have been busy getting all my plants in...very tiresome job. I will take pictures when done. I am packing them in there like crazy...I do hope they do ok. I've just got to get some air circulation in there. I've got one blowing on my orchids, but need one at the front. My other one bit the dust, they are only good for about a year or two. Between the moisture and running 24/7, it wears them out.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9333739

On that living wall, the shiny round leaves near the top on the right were on a begonia, and yes, Paula's right the ones lower down are peperomia, I think. There was an amazing array of plants on that one section of living wall, nice texture contrast.

It was at the Botanical Garden in Salt Lake and the plants were not labeled. Nice way to humidify your home (or large atrium, in this case) in that dry climate, I think.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 15, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9333786

Aww, I thought that was yours Elaine. I was going to ask what was behind it for them to grow on.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9333864

I saw one recently and they used an old pallet for the frame. They stapled weed block cloth over the back and bottom and layed it flat to fill with potting mix. While it was flat they planted it between the slats and as soon as the plants took root they hung it, they water it from the top which was left open. Such a fun project!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9333902

Ho, I wish, Paula. Google "living wall systems" and you will see there is a huge array of different living wall components you can buy. Or, as Alice points out you can make one of your own out of recycled materials. It's become the "nouveau" art form in recent years.

If you ever get down to Orlando, the display at Epcot is the most gorgeous living wall system I've ever seen. This link has the best pictures of it, and others. http://greenecowalls.com/ OF course the Epcot people spend an enormous amount of money on plants there and change their plants out all the time to keep it fresh and looking beautiful.

I have some interesting things I found in the garden this morning, including a bloom on my little "wild" Monk orchid. Spathoglottis orchids still blooming away, and putting up new spikes. Flowering maples, looking like little hibiscus flowers are loving the cooler weather.

After beefing about it's boring color all summer, my Colocasia 'Blue Hawaii' is making smaller leaves now with very vivid colors, and 'Dipt in Wine' coleus that I got as cuttings from Mj are coming on brilliantly.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9333933

Awesome plants!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9334195

beautiful, love the living wall, and love the blooms and well, I miss you all.

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife      

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9334461

Very nice, Elaine and Deb!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9335054

Heliconias are still appearing, although the nights have been pretty cool.
Red-leafed hibiscus is blooming, the flowers are not quite so purple as the picture shows.
Red-stemmed philo I got as a cutting from Cassie back in May is happily climbing this oak stump.
Lady Margaret passion vine blooms non-stop.
Tomatoes on the vine, our reward for suffering through the whole summer without tomatoes.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9335658

I brought my red leaf hibiscus in, was afraid to lose it..

Thumbnail by joeswife

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 18, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9336164

A few more interesting things in my garden this morning - the wildflowers are still coming along, Salvia 'Coral Nymph' and blue porterweed. Brug. Charles Grimaldi is putting out a few more blooms.

My new little fig tree 'Celeste' has 3 figs this year - that's triple the crop I got last spring. And one of my little orchids has 3 spikes, here's the first flower opening on B. Little Stars.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9338061

Well the sun is actually shining here in Central Florida today.

Brassavola nodosa Jiminy Cricket, Hoya imperalis ,Cape Honeysuckle and Mexican Sunflower Tree

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 20, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9338140

Beautiful MJ!! Is the cape honeysuckle a red or just the photo. Mine is more of a deep orange...just wondering if there is a red one. Very pretty anyway!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 20, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9338276

Love that brassavola, Mj. The hoya is really pretty, too, and those are big flowers - the buds are cool looking as well. I miss my Mex. Sunflowers, had to yank out the big clump I had back by the fence corner as it was competing with my dwarf Poinciana. It does seem to seed itself, though so I doubt it will be gone long.

Crinum blooms at Selby last weekend.
Some really neat plant hangers or mounts for orchids, tillandsias or bromeliads, made out of vine wreaths wired into tiers.
Screw pine cone, I think I'll make this my holiday card this year. The cones were huge, must be all the rain we had.
Pretty, large ground orchids - Spathoglottis- with stems at least 3ft long, and have been in bloom since I was there last - in May!

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9338301

Paula, I think red-orange is as red as Tecoma capensis gets.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9338381

Paula, Kay said it right. I wouldn't call this one Orange, but not in the sense of Red like a deep Red...more Orange Red.

Elaine, I think that would make a wonderful holiday card !
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9338444

I took this picture when we were on Longboat Key last year and I didn't have a clue what it was. Thanks Elaine. :-) My mother grew a huge pandanus in the house when I was a child but we never had any fruit on it.

Martha, how do you keep your Cape Honeysuckle so neat and shrub like. Mine wanders all over the place I am forever cutting it back so I rarely see enough flowers to make it worth my while.

Thumbnail by ardesia

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9338827

Alice it grows out in the middle of the yard. When we mow we just "edge" it with the mower round and round...it doesn't even have a support.

I don't fertilize it and rarely water it either.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2012 7:33 AM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9339699

my cape honeysuckle is blooming still downstairs. I love it.
70's here record high yesterday at 74, here we are with all the plants inside even tho they could have stayed out and braved the cold a few more weeks.

Have no clue why I am up, but My sister DROVE herself with her lil dog sadie, in the 96 buick park avenue I gave her two years ago. She brought sadie for us to get Used to her, since we will be inheriting her when sister is gone. SHe has lost 20 pounds, the chemo was making her sooo sick, the decided to give her a ten day break from it. She is now drinking the essiac tea and also taking soursop fruit caplets. She has eaten more here in one day ( last night( than she has all week. I had made a big ole pot of chicken and noodles, and some tuna cassrole and some linquini, and she ate a bowl of each. She also ate 5 of the two kinds of cookies joanna and joe made. I am so glad she made it here. I had to work yesterday and willl work tommorrow and saturday while she is here, but kids and hubby are doting over her well enough. Joanna made white bread and pumpkin bread and pumpkin cookies with chic chips, Joe made some kind of stuffing with cornbread and apples, sister and i made pecan pies and dressed a bone in ham with brown sugar, pineapple and cherries. We are going over to Joes lil brothers house this year. Kids are meeting us over there.
Sister told me last night she expects this to be her last thanksgiving and i started crying. then we were both crying. Today we will all be thankful for all of us standing.
I love you, my net friends. Happy Thanksgiving and take care.
PS: Joe and Sadie are getting along.. he knows we will be inheriting her some day and he is actually good with that. She is a cute lil boxer/beagle mix. 5 years old. Joanna took to her right away. Sadie gaurds Sherry like a fierce mama Bear. LOL
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9339728

Debra, I love you and Sherry - tons of hugs for both of you. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your lovely family!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9339776

Thank You, Lord, for all our bountiful blessings. So many of you children are in agony of one kind or another, make this a day of love and joy.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9339829

By far Elaine, Mallory Jane is the most incredible bloom in your garden...

Such incredible plants everyone has. I so enjoy seeing what is in everyones garden.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Jan
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9339867

Hey guys! Sorry I've been rather scarce around here, but as you know I've been having problems with buying my house and such... Well yesterday, my wife and I finally got the house (still need to see what's up with the heating system, but still we got it!), so we definitely have something to be thankful for!

Hopefully it's not too late to plant some of the plants I've had waiting to be moved... I'll probably keep the more borderline stuff in the garage until spring, but the Tamarisks (hardy to zone 4) and the lavender (hardy to zone 5) will be planted once we get everything else moved into the house.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9339938

congrats on the house.

Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9340296

Thanks! BTW, the previous owners seemed to have been fans of Spiderwort: They had the purple flowering variety planted all over the place... There is also some weird kind of plant along the back of the house that looks kind of like a calla lily, but it had to have been in the ground since LAST winter, so I'm sure that can't be it, and there is also a HUGE trumpet vine trellis in the back yard. There also is an abandoned and overgrown water garden that I'm thinking about converting into a Koi pond sometime next year as well.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2012

Post #9340359

Look up 'Aspidistra' aka cast iron plant, and see if that's what your Calla lily look-alike might be.
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9340410

I actually have aspidistra, and it doesn't look like that... For one thing, its leaves are a bit too thick and for another, all the leaves come out of a central stem rather than popping up at different spots individually. One thing I've seen on Dave's Garden that it MIGHT be is an "Italian Arum", but it came up at the wrong time of year.

If it comes back next spring, I'll post pictures, but it was rather puzzling, to say the least.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 26, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9343221

Ben, congrats on the new house. Those Arum leaves do look a lot like Calla, and I must admit mine do pop up at odd times of year.

It got pretty chilly here last night - had to cover u p some of my orchids. But weather's bouncing back tonight to normals.

First - a little Spathoglottis I nicknamed 'opal' because it has at least 4 colors white, pink, purple and yellow as the flowers mature.

Second, a Phal I rescued from Lowe's death rack.

Third, Brassavola 'Little Stars' with two little flowers it perfumes the whole pool cage at night.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9343516

congrats on the house and I hope you do have an arum.. i want one so bad LOL
lovely lil orchids, Elaine.

Sister made it home in one piece, can't wait for the tests and results. I think she gained the 20 plus pounds she had lost, while she was here..
I made all of her favorites.

here are some blooms in the basement gardens..
KayJones.. you should see the ZZ plant...it is going to bust out of it's pot.

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #9343577

Debra, I'm glad you had a great visit with Sherry! The blooms are beautiful, as always!!!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9343581

Hope to hear great things about your sister Deb!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 27, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9343705

The heck with the tests, just the fact she was eating well is a very good sign. Way to go, Deb.

I love those fluffy hibs - this one is at Selby, but I am determined to get one, just as soon as I figure out where to plant it!

Pretty tall Spathoglottis, same color as mine, but huge! Hope mine grow up to be these.

Some sort of pink brom I think.

Pirate face on an orchid! It's Captain Hook, right?

Beautiful big staghorn, mine is nearly this big, but it's hard to get a picture of it 'way up there in the oak tree.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9344268

LOL yes captain hook! I gave my shizo hibiscus away... I gotta get me another one LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife

RachelLF

RachelLF

November 27, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9344298

Nice photos everyone.
Debra, I am wishing your sister, better days ahead and may God bless you all.
Dyzzy, as of late, I've become a bit interested in purchasing an Orchid. Can you enlighten me on any in the genus of Dracula?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 27, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9344374

oh, Ho! Rachel, welcome to the club of orchid addicts! Once you get one, you can't stop collecting the darn things. I'm certainly no expert, but I'm having fun experimenting to find the ones that will grow outside in my yard here. If you take the plunge, get on the Orchids forum and you'll find lots of people more knowledgeable than me.

I don't have any Draculas myself, but my favorite orchid book has a page on Dracula and the (too cool!) picture they show has a flower with a face that looks exactly like a monkey = Dracula marsupialis or Dracula simia. Looks like you've pretty well got to hang them up to show them properly because the flowers hang down from the base of the leaves. They can grow in a pot, or on a mount, but might be somewhat high maintenance because it says "keep the medium moist at all times". Other than that, cool to medium temperatures, humidity and shade.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 29, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9345614

C'mon, I can't be the only one here who still has something blooming? Where's everybody gone?

Three colors of Abutilons loving the cooler weather, it seems.

Funny little NoID brassavola orchid I got at a Master Gardener plant sale a year ago. This is the third time it's bloomed so I'm not complaining, but this time it has spots on its lip which it's never had before! The red petals fade to orange, and the lip turns yellow so it's a fun one to watch.

ps. for Rachel, don't pay a lot for your first orchid - I went looking at Draculas and the one site I found with lots of them has very high prices! It's best to learn your orchid culture on a couple of inexpensive plants, so if you mess up you won't feel so bad. It's a whole different ball game from growing 'regular' plants.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9345659

If someone would send me a white and a black bat plant, I'd be glad to share pictures as it grows! LOL

Your flowers are beautiful, Elaine - keep them coming.

I have shown pictures of all the plants I had in bloom. Some are still blooming:

Passiflora 'Lady Margaret'
Passiflora Vitafolia
Confederate Rose
All the Clerodendrums - blue, red, shrubs and vines
The Daffodils are coming up
The Saffron Crocus have been up for a while, but no blooms
Thunbergias are all still blooming
Klanchoes are budding
Pink trumpet vine is blooming
A couple of the Brugmansias are blooming
Nothing in the greenhouse is blooming
Stictocardia is LOADED with buds - none open yet
Cassia - pop corn variety - is in full bloom
My new Grandaughter is in bud and will bloom on Dec. 4, via C-section!!!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 29, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9345751

Aww Kay, that's wonderful! That's my mom's birthday... so a good day. Keep us informed!

I have several things blooming, I will try to take pictures tomorrow. I have a beautiful amaryllis "Luna" blooming and honestly it has a green look to it. Very pretty!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9346004

Good morning to all my dear friends! None of my Amaryllis have headed up - don't know if I'll get any blooms this year. I will go to see my new Grandaughter from Dec. 13-18th = Can't WAIT!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9346010

I have one plant that is about to bloom and will show it soon...Probably first of the week.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9346070

OO, KayJones. Can't wait to see pictures of your Strictocardia when it opens, and of course your new baby girl!

I can't remember seeing a picture of your pink trumpet vine, would love to see that. We need to keep the spirits up for those unfortunate folks where it is cold now.

Here are my weedy orchids still blooming, and my Colo. Blue Hawaii still making really vivid purple stems, veins and edges. Finally!!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9346085

Congrats on the newest about tooo bloom, KayJones.
I love the eye candy here, please keep it going..
my sticto is in bud as well.. It usually blooms in december.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9346144

Awwwww...a Christmas baby. Happy for you, Kay.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9346260

Thanks, all you lovely Friends - she will be beautiful, no doubt!

Elaine, if you have 'weedy' Orchids, I'd like some!!!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9346262

Here is the picture of the pink trumpet vine aka Podranea ricasoliana :

Thumbnail by KayJones

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9346313

I know, you're top of my list for a division of this one.

But I just got this as a start from a lady in California. Might have to wait a few months to be sure it's going to grow.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9346325

Thanks, Lady Bug!

RachelLF

RachelLF

November 30, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9346599

Dyzzy, thanks for the information. I purchased one at a decent price and I hope I get a few of those unique blooms in the near future.

Paula, I'll look forward to seeing some pictures.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 1, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9346722

Here's what's blooming in Marco Island--
Hawaiian Sunset vine
Mexican Bleeding Heart
White bleeding heart
Heliconias (Okay so some of them came from Jesse Durko's in Davie, but they ARE blooming!)
Lots of orchids and I will send pix when I take a few more
Hybrid Hibiscus that was on the markdown rack at Lowe's
all of the other Hibiscus
Camellias
Azalea
Passion Flowers
Rangoon creeper
Hoyas
Night bloomimg jasmine(just a little)
Mandevillas
and of course the ixoras!
I may have missed some and will take some pictures this morning. I dug up shoots of a Florida Hydrangea at a house that is being demo-ed around the corner. I am also buying from them--at least I gave them the check yesterday and now they have to deliver-- 20 or more HUGE coral stone rocks.Even the sewer construction men don't want to tackle them, so hopefully when they bring in the "CLAW" to tear down the house they can bring them over. It's just on the next street over. A gorgeaous lot with a view out to the Gulf with a dreadful house-sold for $1.2Million. What a gorgeous lot--I hope they leave the spectacular Royal poinciana tree and don't rip it out.
Okay--off for breakfast and some pictures
Debi
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9346747

Debi, HI! It's been forever since we've heard from you. It seems you have a paradise in bloom - look forward to pictures!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 1, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9346783

Camera battery was dead, so I had to charge it. I'm heading out to go Christmas shopping so I'll post some later today.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 1, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9346918

Had the worst time loading pictures!
The Dutchmans's pipe is blooming away It gets the east sun and is on a chain link fence.
The lobster claw has yet to be planted--that's next week when we rip out the macho ferns and plant lobster claws and a ginger for full sun
The orchid has attached itself to the tree, and yes, in the background is the monster stag horn! One fell down and we cut it up and attached to lots of trees--we'll see how it does!
The next picture IS dark, but it's the Mexican bleeding heart growing on to my new trellis/pergola between the house and the outside garage.
Finally, the Hawaiian sunset. It just doesn't take a good picture, but it stretches about 75 feet now, and we hack away at it all summer. DO NOT plant unless you have a lot of space.
Debi

Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9346949

Beautiful, Debi!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 1, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9346999

Oh wow, next time you hack, send me some!! LOL Gorgeous pictures! Off to watch GA cream AL (I hope!!!) Going to be a nailbiter!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 2, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9347485

Aaargh! Definately a nail biter and lost in the last seconds!

OK here are some pictures:
Brug - blooming now despite a couple of freezes. Whacked it down and have lots of cuttings if anyone wants to trade??

A few orchids - lots of spikes appearing

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 2, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9347486

varigated ginger

Hoya kerrii varg. - one stem is all white

Rhipsalis blooming

Crown of thorns yellow

Begonia

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 2, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9347488

Christmas cactus starting to bloom

One of my favorites

False agave - LOVE this plant

Chocolate soldier plant - should have some babies next spring.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 2, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9347496

OK, here is a peek into my overstuffed GH.

As you can see, got them hanging, on shelves, and stuffed underneath.

I don't know if I can get another one in there.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 2, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9347500

But I am most excited about this...my Hoya macguillvarii has blooms on it...also my varg kerrii

one of my staghorns - takes up more than its space.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066      

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9347598

Holy cow, Paula! Your greenhouse looks like my back yard did in September! It's a jungle in there.

Are all those plants too tender to live out in your massive garden? Or are you going to plant them out next spring so they will establish over the summer?

Beautiful orange brug, I've never seen one that vivid a color, do you know its name?

RachelLF

RachelLF

December 2, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9347627

I will echo a "Wow" , Paula. All of your plants look so healthy and happy.

Nice Orchid , Elaine.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 2, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9347663

Elaine,
Yes, all those would not make it outside. They are all tropical...some may be borderline, but I wouldn't risk it. I also have probably 50 or 75 different plants in my house. Do I have an addiction???...Nah!

Hi Rachel...question for you...My anthurium has 2 or 3 old blooms on it (pic) what would the seeds look like and could I plant them or are they very particular like orchids?

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9347756

[quote="RachelLF"]I will echo a "Wow" , Paula. All of your plants look so healthy and happy.

Nice Orchid , Elaine.[/quote]

SAME HERE..
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 2, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9348044

All these I need to trade off..
with the exception of a few.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9348206

Paula, in the second picture, what is in the reddish hanging basket?

RachelLF

RachelLF

December 2, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9348263

Those do indeed look like ripe berries Paula. You can peel the fleshy part away along with the membrane and plant them to see if they are still viable. As far as them being picky to germinate, that would depend upon the particular Anthurium but in general it's the time frame that is important.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 3, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9348435

Hi Kay,
Those would be brunsfelia seedlings I dug up out of my yard. I need to repot them.

Thank you Rachel. I may try it...I have a heating pad for seed. It is Anthurium 'Red Bird's Nest"

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9350403

When my Aunt passed away this past summer I found this plant in her garden, very neglected. I hung it in a more filtered spot in my garden and it looks so much better now. My mom says she remembers it had beautiful flowers. Does anybody know what this is? I'm thinking some kind of orchid cactus . It is just in one of those three level wire hangers with no soil so it is a Epiphyte of some sort. But I've searched through so many photos and can't find anything that looks like this stemming. No flowers since I've had it.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 9:48 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed         

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9350451

Epidendrum radicans aka reed Orchid.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9350477

Thanks Kay, I have the Reed stem Crucifix orchids, but they have a much thinner stem than this does. However I do see how the leaves are quite similar. I took some more photos so you can see what I'm talking about...the first one is my Reed stem orchid and the last three are my Aunt's plant. It sure looks to be a Epidendrum, but don't think it is the reed stem radicans.

I'll be a bit disappointed if that is the case. ☺

This message was edited Dec 5, 2012 4:32 PM

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 9:31 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9350731

Sunkissed,
It's an Epidendrum, but I don't believe it's radicans, probably going to have to wait till it blooms. I have several that are similar, but with the thicker stems. They are out in the greenhouse, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to check the tags. One's a baby girl pink and the other is pale yellow with pink and white, and the blooms are very different fromradicans. Keep them in very bright light short of full sun, and allow to dry out, and FEED. ( I grow radicans here in full blazing sun here, which to me is another indicator that your's is not radicans if it's not happy in full sun.
I'll dig around my files to see if I can find a bloom pic.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2012 6:13 PM

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9350856

I appreciate you taking a look, but you're probably right about waiting for the flowers to bloom. It certainly appreciates the shadier spot I have it in now. My Aunt was a gardener and loved the unusual and unique plants, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it is something spectacular.

Thanks mj

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9350907

That's a cool story, that you rescued it from your Aunt's garden. You should pop over to the Orchids forum, and post your pictures. I'll bet one of the wonderful orchid geeks over there would know what it is.

I only have one Epidendrum, and it is radicans. Doesn't have those fat stems.

Get a pump sprayer and keep some very weak orchid fertilizer in it - mix about 1/4 strength - and spray it with that a few times a week, and every day in the summer. It will bloom, and we can't wait to see it!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9351157

Thanks dyzzy, I'll do just that...I did post in the plant ID forum and so far nothing. I'll get some orchid fertilizer and keep it sprayed.

I rescued a few things from my Aunt's garden and she was my mentor, so having pieces of her all around my garden is a real treasure. She lived until mid 90's all alone here in Florida and gardening was her passion...I always feel it kept her healthy and young.

Just for fun I posted some pictures of items from her garden to mine ☺

Chair and wood bucket, tin watering can (got a few of these), succulent in pot, zebra in strawberry pot, and heavy cement bird bath.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9351176

Well I received and ID and looking at the images on Google this is it... a Dendrobium Nobile (cane orchid). How exciting, and now I just need to not kill it. ☺

I'll certainly post photos if I ever get some blooms. Thanks to Kay, mjsponies, dyzzypyxxy for your help. And of course OCCAROL for the plant ID. Love love this website. Worth a million to me... oops, better be careful, they might raise the membership fees. ☺

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 10:36 AM
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9351280

Nice Hawthoria patch, Sunkissed!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9352207

I just love the zebras in the strawberry jar, too. Your Aunt sure had some neat plants, Sherri.

I have brugmansia Charles Grimaldi putting on another flush of bloom thanks to the wonderful weather we are having. Even though the rain barrels are empty, I'm afraid to wish for rain because it would mean a cold front and the end to this fabulous run of highs 80, lows 60 - perfect weather. I've even got full size tomatoes ready to ripen, and broccoli ready to pick.

Charles's blooms start out almost white, and slowly shade to orange over about 5 days. The scent in the evenings is just lovely.

Another of my brugs from Debra has a big cluster of buds, but I'll be out of town next week when they finally open. Hope my bro will remember to take pics of them for me. He'll be here cat-sitting for the week.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9352219

Elaine you are so fortunate... my wife would kill for those tomatoes right now.

Paula those Anthurium seeds will germinate very well in peat moss, just barely covered, in a Chinese type takeout container with the cover on under a warm light kept moist not wet. Punch pin size holes in the cover so It can breathe.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9352280

Drew! What about that upstairs bathroom with all the grow lights in the fixture where you had baby AeAe at first?

Start a tomato plant or two in August from seed, and grow them over winter in that bathroom of yours! You'd have to pollenate with a little paintbrush, but heck, for fresh tomatoes??

Also, doesn't that atrium of yours with the wonderful tall windows get sun? You could grow tomatoes there, too, with a little help from some grow lights to lengthen the "days" for them. Put them at the foot of the AeAe giant mama plant?

Just stirring, I know you love a challenge.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 7, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9352447

Just had 20 monstrous sized coral stone rocks delivered--dumped in the front yard to be put in in front of the monkey puzzle bed--monkey puzzle has crowded everything out so will have the boys start moving some of the daylilies etc that's in that spot. They were at a house that is being demo'd--people paid $1.2 million and don't even have the plans for the new one--on the next street over. Got a great deal and would love to hose them off, but am afraid they'll really sink into the grass even more!!!! The shells embedded in them are spectacular!

My macho ferns and old ixoras get yanked out tomorrow , to be replaced by gardenias and jasmine, lobster claws and ginger-- can't wait for the change!! My mast tree finally gets planted and the leather ferns also get yanked out.They are under my bathroom window and there are way too many noises in them at night!

Debi
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9352474

LOL, Debi - at the noises from the ferns - tree frogs?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9352523

OT, but went on line looking for "grow lights" for a small area where I am trying to protect my tropicals this winter. (80 today, forecast 27 by Sunday night). Was surprised to see that most of what was on-line specified that they were for marijuana plants. Someone told me that the NEA has sensors in helicopters to pick up "grow lights" for that very reason. I am sooooo sheltered.

Just got plain ole pfc at Home Depot.

Back to our regularly scheduled show.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9352572

Christi, when I was back in Missouri, I used 2 halogen lights in my basement - worked beautifully and added heat - the plants loved it. We don't want the popo pickin' you up!!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9352700

Bet the greenhouse and grow light biz will pick up in Washington state now that pot is legal there! Debi, would love to see pics of the new rocks in place there. We've missed seeing your orchid pictures, too.

I know this is a repeat, but I just love the color change on these funny little orchids, pink/white to yellow/orange in about a week.

I also have coral salvia and porterweed still blooming their hearts out with the fabulous weather we've had. Lucky for us, the cold fronts just have not come this far south, except for the very edges of the one that followed TS Sandy.

Some fun with foliage in the last pic, heliconia, coleus, hydrangea and Begonia 'Don Miller' putting on a little flower.

This message was edited Dec 8, 2012 12:10 AM

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9352797

Your flowers are always amazing, Elaine!

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 8, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9352812

If only they were frogs-- RATS!!!!! I am going to take pictures as we destruct and construct today.Should be fun.

Elaine I am going to Selby and Tropiflora with a group on Tuesday--have no business going as there is so much going on!!!

Happy Saturday everyone!
Debi
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9352839

Many of the stores that specialize in organics are really specializing in growers equipment. They have these cool pop up tent thingies that are black on the outside so they can't be detected through windows and silver on the inside for reflecting the halogen or gro lights. I would love one for my attic, it would make a great indoor GH. Seriously though, this is a lucrative business so these stores only carry the best supplies and fertilizers. They are not cheap but the quality and variety are great. My gardening buddies and I who are always looking for the perfect fertilizers or potting mediums joke that we are probably the only little old white haired ladies whose pictures are in the DEA files for frequenting these places.

I use 4' seedling heat mats under containers on my open porch and deck during the winter months. It seems to just raise the temp a few degrees and that is usually all I need. On really cold nights I can throw a blanket over the whole thing. Since the porch and deck floor is wood slats, I use one of those reflective foil emergency blankets under the heat mat so I don't lost any heat down through the boards. The blankets are inexpensive in the outdoor stores, usually around $3 and I can cut one in 3 pieces to use under 3 mats.

Great score on those coral rocks, they sound wonderful. I was shopping for new tile yesteday and noticed some very expensive tiles made from slices of natural coral rock, there were shells in them and they were drop dead gorgeous. We took a lot of old pampas grass out when we bought this house, There were rats nests in the centers and the snakes loved it, it was like a free buffet for them. When you live near the water it is always a challenge to keep the rats away.

Lots of camellias blooming right now, some roses are loving the cool weather and the beautiful salvia involucrata or Rosebud Sage. It will stay in bloom all winter now. Love it.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9353035

It's where I purchase all my Growing Supplies! I figured if they were good enough supplies for pot growers, they were definitely good enough for my Big Boy Tropicals!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9354163

please say a prayer for Sherry, she is in the hospital again..

this photo is especially for KayJones... I can't believe I havn't killed it yet.

Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2012
3:31 AM

Post #9354337

Deb, call me this morning!!!! The Bougie is beautiful!

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 10, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9354360

On the tiles-- we were shopping for tile this past month and found tile that looks like wood! Loved it years ago when it was SO expensive--downright cheap at Home Depot now--thank goodness as we need 1100 square feet for the living side of the house. And I love the pebble tile--that's going in a shower floor.

As far as rats-- I always will remember when we lived at a condo hiring the men to clean out the palm trees. One fellow said--you know there's rats in those trees--and I responded, and that's why we pay you do do that work! Back then it was $15 a tree--this year we paid $40 to $60 a tree/ Well worth it as the coral snakes love the palms as well.The people who bought my parents house down the street placed a dumpster in the driveway for the renovations and yard waste ONE YEAR AGO and it hasn't been cleaned out yet. Don't EVEN want to think what is in there!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9355311

No Sh%t Debbijaynes!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9357044

Debijaynes, so now I'm learning that rats live in Palms and because the coral snakes like rats that they are in the trees, and here all I thought lived in them was that monster palmetto bugs... so what is good about palm trees, please someone tell me before I decide to rip them all out of the yard?

Jan
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9357064

Nothing good about them, Jan! They are ugly, messy and harbor critters we don't like!!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9357263

My son has a mess of Queen palms at his home in JAX and I could listen to the gentle sound they make when the wind blows through their fronds all day. They are beaituful when they sway in the wind too. I don't know if Queens harbor critters or not. When they first bought that home they had lava rock in all the beds including the foundation plantings. The snakes liked to sun themselves on those warm rocks and they found many, many - all non venomous thankfully. They removed the rocks and have had few snake encounters since they did that.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 13, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9357347

Rocks or not, we have snakes! As long as you keep your trees and shrubbery trimmed and neat, I think for the most part you can keep the population down. No bird feeders that's for sure! Pine straw attracts not only snakes but fleas love all things pine! Marco Island mows on a regular basis all the vacant lots, carefully avoiding the gopher tortoise and owl nests(burrowing). I also find that keeping plants away from the foundation is a help.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9357546

Maybe I don't want to live in Florida after all.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9357621

We have bird feeders, about 6...and live on 11 acres, that backs up to 3500 acres of St. John's Wildlife management,We occasionally have snakes...sometimes venomous, but more often than not, just good old Black, Blue, or Rat snakes...you just need to know the difference. Do your research...

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 14, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9358511

Good on ya, Mj. Hey folks, you want a balance of nature in your garden. If you evict the snakes, you will have rodents until the snakes come back. I do have more rodents and snakes since I put out the bird feeders, but I also have a lot more birds that eat bugs and caterpillars that harm my plants. I welcome the snakes and never ever kill one on purpose. (ran over one with the car once, sadly) Never seen a venomous snake in Florida myself, but I do know they are around and know how to ID them, too.

Yes, we have or have imported, every bug and critter on the face of the earth in Florida, but well, mosquitoes are a bother, and raccoons - which are not indigenous - are a pain in the patootie but I'm not bothered by anything else in my garden, in general. They're all living here for the same reason we are, which is great weather. I can sure live with them, the trick is to just be aware. When I lived in Vancouver, Canada - a very large and sophisticated city - we had to be aware of black bears raiding our gardens, birdfeeders and garbage cans. What's more scary?? They have coyotes in the streets of NYC, not to mention dangerous people all over the place. There are scary things everywhere that you should be wary of.

Jan, if you rip out all your palms the critters will live in any other tree or shrub you plant. I have a few palms and they are beautiful, easy care and not messy. Mostly I have huge live oaks that harbor an amazing ecosystem. You make a beautiful garden for yourself, but because you nurture and water it, it's beautiful to all the other living things, too. Even if you make a desert out of your yard, you will have critters you don't want. Scorpions love it hot and dry. May as well have a lovely lush garden and learn to live with everybody you attract.

I've been here in Grand Cayman diving all week. Saw a hammerhead on Monday that swam by 20ft from me, scores of invasive poisonous lionfish, green moray eels, stingrays, sea urchins. Tons of things that could hurt me but didn't. The cars on the street are more of a threat to me than anything in the sea or my garden, I think. Statistics back me up, too.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9358596

Elaine... Coud not have said it better myself!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9358805

Same here. Even though corals, copperheads, diamondbacks and cotton mouths are indigenous to this area, I have never seen even one here at my home. I often wonder about my yankee neighbors who see them all the time, I suspect they don't stay around long enough to get a real ID. I do have bird feeders, quite a few of them actually, and they do invite the rodents but, to me, the birds are worth it.

One thing I have changed however is to remove pampas grass. This introduced plant harbors rats nests around here. As the plants age, they develop an opening in the center at the base, this turns out to be a toasty warm spot for the rats to nest. Short of dividing the grasses each year it is inevitable so we chose to remove the pampas. When we first moved here we could actually hear the baby rats at certain times of the year and we saw many more (non) venomous snakes prior to the removal.

I do keep all plant material and my pine straw well away from the foundation - at least 4' - and that helps with the palmetto bugs.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9358839

All that being said, I think the snakes are there and you just don't see them unless you go looking.

Yes, I forgot to say, agree about keeping plants and mulch away from the foundation and keeping irrigation away from the house, too. When the weather is dry we do have snakes and other critters like various frogs come into the pool cage after the water. I've taken to putting out a tub or two of water (c/w mosquito dunk) for the critters so they won't feel it necessary to visit the pool. We also have a little water garden in the front yard that I'm sure a lot of animals drink from.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9358846

I was checking out some "white stuff" on this fairly large croton this morning and look what I found. Who knew????

Remember that Hedychium horsefeldii I was so disappointed in a while ago. The flowers were so insignificant. But, check out these seeds, now I remember why I bought it.

We had some really high tides this week, that is my neighbor's house in the picture. Yikes, I am glad our house sits on higher ground.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia      

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 15, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9359181

As long as I know the snake is nonpoisonous, I have no problem with them.
at the other house there was always one that lived in my GH. We had to have a few 'conversations' about wraping around the hanging baskets (and scaring the daylights out of me). So far here, I don't have on in the GH, but plenty in the yard. I was finding one about every week or so for a while. Found the 'Mom' laying in the yard a couple of months ago, but I relocated her, because the cats kept circling her and wouldn't leave her alone.

Here is one that was at the front door. Almost grabbed him when I went to move the plant.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9359196

Whoa, Alice I wouldn't try out the hammock until the tide goes out, your patootie would be hanging in the water! Cool picture though.

Nice snake shot, Paula.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9359249

In this part of the country hammocks are for show only, the bugs would eat you alive if you tried to relax in one. LOL

This is the pic I meant to include.

Ardesia looks like it is decorated for the holidays.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia         

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9359704

I'm thinking the only reason I haven't seen the rats is because of my two collies who patrol the yard. However, I've seem more than enough snakes, I don't care how wonderful snakes are, I will never care for them! But those palmetta bugs are the worst thing (to me) about living in FL. The rental house has mulch all around the house (I am trying to educate the owner, to the fact this attracts those darn bugs) but he like the looks so we have to deal with those darn things. His solution to get rid of them is to keep spraying the chemicals. Why is it that folks think, spray the chemicals and everything will be alright, shaking head over this type of thinking.

So on with life here in my beautiful FL with all the snakes, palmetto bugs and what ever else makes it way into our home bubble...LOL

Jan

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9359752

all i have to worry about are tree rats ( squirrels)and flying rats( sparrows)

love the blooms on that croton, did not know they bloomed.. wow!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9360274

Home from our dive trip, to a very happy kitty cat and lush garden that got a couple of good rain showers while we were gone! Yay.

Dirty little raccoon paw prints all around the edge of the pool, too. I think this one likes the smell of my brugs. Charles Grimaldi is in full fragrance right now. If the cat is fighting with the 'coon tonight, he's getting trapped and removed tomorrow night!

A few pretties from the botanical garden in Gr. Cayman. Rainbow gum tree had the prettiest 'painted' bark. Begonia odorata alba still lush and blooming in a sunny spot over top of a hedge. Poinsettias - huge ones 7ft. tall with bracts 18in. across. Little orange butterflies loved them. Cool leaves and flower bud on a breadfruit tree. Lovely pink-flowered mandevilla (I think) vine climbing 35ft. up a column at a shopping mall.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9361013

Gotta love that rainbow gum. If I ever lived somewhere warm enough I would have a whole grove of them. I saw a huge one in HI on a mountain where it regularly dropped to the high 30's at night. Had to be the mild days and abundant water perfect growing conditions.

Debra, just wanted you to know you and your sister have been in my thoughts and prayers.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9361044

Beautiful Rainbow Gum love the foliage and flower of the Breadfruit tree Elaine.

10 full weeks from "bump' at petiole / trunk tie in, to opening of Philodendron giganteum inflorescence.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2012 6:58 AM

Thumbnail by homer1958

RachelLF

RachelLF

December 17, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9361132

Great growing Drew and Debra, you and your sister have been in my thoughts as well.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9362048

Good morning everyone - Merry Christmas! Here is my little Christmas Angel, Feona, born Dec. 4, 2012 - she's 9 days old in this picture:

Thumbnail by KayJones

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9362069

awwwwwww. congrats! She is a beautiful lil Angel.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9362078

Feona is the best Christmas gift of all.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 19, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9362182

Aww, how sweet! That's my mom's birthday. Congratulations
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9362216

Another beautiful child. Seems to be "going around" with my friends. I'm way past the grandchildren stage and have started GREATgrandchildren. Each new soul is such a blessing.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9362565

Thank you, everyone - she's definitely an angel!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012

Post #9362810

Sometimes, the mightiest things come in the smallest packages!
You are very blessed Kay!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 23, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9365493

Oo, sweet baby! I can't wait for my kids to come visit in January c/w my new granddaughter.

Found some pretty colors still hanging on in the garden:
- Matchstick brom I got as a start from Mj - so pretty, thanks again!
- crazy Brazilian Red Cloak blooming again, after being in bloom all summer and fall!
- faabulous colors on Coleus 'Dipt in Wine' another start from Mj
- purple firespike slowly reaching its full glory despite a low of 41 this morning

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 23, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9365499

Then we had to go to the Borg (big orange retail giant) and I snapped a couple of shots of their gorgeous array of broms there. Such a treat to see these beautiful colors at this time of year. Too bad they were so expensive, I would have bought a whole bed full!

My coleus "Florida Sun Rose" is never the same color twice.

I have seeds of my pale yellow Abutilon if anyone would like some.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9365509

All are SO PRETTY - a breath of fresh air - MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9365838

Elaine, great pics...we went down to 28 yesterday morning. Heavy frost coleus are for the most part mush now. Glad I saved cuttings !! Brugs are all wilted, as well as a lot of other tender leaved plants. Had a lot covered tho or up in the barn or greenhouse and those up in the Oak hammock area fared pretty well.
Hope all have a Great Holiday !!!
Hoya imperalis var. rauschii

Thumbnail by mjsponies

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 24, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9365886

A few amaryllis bulbs blooming...

Black Pearl - pic doesn't capture the true color

La Paz

Pappillo

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066      

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9365963

Awesome, Elaine! Mine are all in the ground and are leafed out, but no buds or blooms, yet.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9366021

Love those amaryllis, Paula. I have some Black Pearl too - they are a wonderful rich dark red. They were what I call a "two-way gift". I gave the bulbs to my daughter in Salt Lake three years ago, and she forced them at Christmas time. Then when they were done, she gave them back to me for my birthday (in March) and I planted them out in my garden. They bloom every spring in early April now, and have increased to a nice clump, too. Talk about a gift that keeps on giving, huh?

btw, some of the websites that sell premium amaryllis put them on sale after the holidays for up to 50% off. I've scored some great buys on huge bulbs that way, and they are perennials here. I've got my eye on some more of those Cybister hybrids like La Paz.

Here are my Bogotas, (picture from last spring).

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 24, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9366108

Let me know if you find some, I would love to have more of the named ones.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9366194

I went out to "learn" my fancy camera this morning. Got some interesting shots I couldn't get before (using my phone).

First and second, huge Begonia odorata alba from Alice, which I had to prune back to half the size before we left for our trip. It's still 5ft. high and wide. Still blooming, still fragrant in the mornings, what a great plant! I have lots of cuttings starting if anyone wants a start?
Third, Brug. Charles Grimaldi blooming away on the patio. I broke a little end off a branch when I was covering him against the cold, and the flower on that cutting has opened nicely in a vase.
Fourth, Begonia Don Miller (another from Alice) with its sweet little blooms hiding under the pretty leaves.
Last, my "pet" cardinal on the birdfeeder. He lets me get within 5ft. before he flits into the bamboo. Of course he showed up after I took off the telephoto and put on the macro lens.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

This message was edited Dec 26, 2012 1:47 PM

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9366201

All are lovely, Elaine!

I am looking to trade for both the black and the white Bat Plant - anyone have an extra to trade?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9366265

Just had to show you a picture of my beautiful Christmas Angel, now 3 weeks old, wearing an outfit I bought her:

Thumbnail by KayJones

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 25, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9366555

Elaine,
I would love some cuttings of the odorata...and I'll send you the 'Elaine'. Just let me know. Thanks
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 25, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9366559

MERRY cHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!! I can not believe my 'babies' (16 & 19) aren't up yet!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 25, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9366658

My goodness, Paula, they're teenagers! Let's plan to make a begonia trade when there's a warmer weather window, maybe in Feb. ?

KayJones, your Christmas Angel is just wonderful. Those bat plants are big and expensive! Didn't you put one on your wish list for your kids to buy as a gift? My kids love it when I keep a running list of plants they can give me - I just send them links. Easy, reasonable gifts for them, and plants that are a bit pricey for me. It's worked out very well for years now, and they love seeing the plants they give me when they come to visit. Nowadays, they are buying me orchids.

Happy Holidays to all, and we wish you many glorious blooms in the new year! Pic is Brassavola 'Little Stars'.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 25, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9366672

Elaine, thanks for the compliment on Fiona.

I did get a pitcher plant 'Miranda' from my son and his wife - the pitchers are HUGE!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 25, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9366831

How's about a picture of that pitcher?? (couldn't resist!)

Go for the bat plant for your birthday?? Florida Hill Nursery had the white bats for $6.99 but they're currently sold out.

http://www.floridahillnursery.com/foliage-n-flowers-c-15/tacca-integrifolia-exotic-white-bat-flower-live-plant-p-24?zenid=g7sbeu0n5svk5b9ji3rccledq3

Kind of like the Christmas-y look of my coleus these days.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9367338

Merry day after Christmas everyone, hope Santa was good to all.

I like to take pictures of what is blooming on Christmas day each year but the weather has been bad here, lots of rain and wind so there are only a few.

This bill is not quite open but soon...
Unusual impatiens still plugging along
Salvia Van Houteii
Ponkan tangelos are yummy this year
Salvia Involcrulata (?) Rosebud sage

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9367347

A few more

Ti Keeley's Gold - but it is more red this year.

This cute little geranium has been blooming outside for years, nothing stops it.

Seed heads from the H. Horsefeldii

Lots of Camellias right now.

Noid banana that i had been told was a fruiting (edible) variety is blooming and it sure looks like a M. Basjoo to me. Bummer, I have been babying this one thinking it would be real bananas. It iwill be compost soon.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 26, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9367467

Lovely, Alice. Sure doesn't look like you've had any freezing temps.

I love the color and flower on that yellow impatiens. Burpee used to carry those, and once I finally made up my mind to order some, they had sold out.

I have a few orchids in bloom, and more coming. The Brassavolas have a fabulous spicy scent at night. I've been obsessively rescuing Phals from the "death rack" at Lowe's and every one of them either has a new spike - or one even popped a flower for me!

This message was edited Dec 26, 2012 1:44 PM

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 26, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9367515

Wild weather going through today - hope Drew is OK up there in NC right now. Tornado warnings there!

We have a squall line on the tail end of the storm coming through here, but not expecting much except some rain, then cooler air. It's sunny and 80deg. right now, but the clouds are in sight to the north of us.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9367526

It's windy here 25 mph winds and cool - I don't LIKE COLD WEATHER!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9367779

Here are some things blooming for me:

1: Wind-beaten Stictocardia
2: another shot of the poor Sticto.
3: Fiona snoozing
4: CP Miranda
5: Sean, sleeping in sister's basinette

Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9367784

I'm ok Elaine! It was just rainy here (what I ordered). We were 10'' short for the year and have had about 2''. Little brother in Mobile was not as fortunate. They had a 2x4 from a neighbors house fly like a missile through the Living Room window...Thankfully they were in a bathroom closet. Mobile was fortunate for only the three blessed lives lost.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 26, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9367832

Dyzzy your photos from Gr. Cayman are great...makes me wish I lived there.

Kayjones, congrats on Fiona...how precious. ☺

Somehow I'm watching this thread now...not sure but think it was a question I asked...but glad I am...I'm in love with the tropical plants you are posting photos of.

-Sherri
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9367860

Sherri, we love to trade, too, so if you have a 'wants' and 'haves' list of plants, please post them.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9369642

Hi all, love all the photos and glad everyone is ok. Sure is cold here, I am about to hop a plane and move! LOL ( wishful thinking)
So excited, I have 4 bloom stalks on my ginger from KayJones. I am about to go crazy since I have yet to see ANY of my gingers bloom for me.
just all the hibiscus, sticto and mgs blooming here right now.. oh the lantanas are blooming, these seem commmon to yu all but so very special and tropical for me LOL

Love the Fiona and Sean blooms the most so far :)
Oh, love the yellow impatiens, too , tried to grow some of those out, they didn't take.
Did I say it was cold here? *shiver* If I am to be cold, I just want some SNOW!
Need water bad.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9369701

Don't know about living in Gr. Cayman, Sherri. It's lovely to visit, and we love to dive so there's no place better but . . . sort of a one-dimensional place with not a lot going on. Plus the soil is terrible, and very sparse. A lot of work to grow anything and they get a lot of hurricanes. (bet you can tell I've given it some thought)

I have a confused papaya with blossoms. Deb, did you get those pink salvia seeds to start for you? They are still blooming here, so should be giving you some joy about now. I still have a few flowers on Brug. Charles Grimaldi but having to protect him from the cold, he'll stop soon. Orchids are a joy in the winter - they start putting up flower spikes as soon as the first cold front comes through.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9369796

Well good to know about Grand Cayman...guess a nice place to visit... but...

I was over my mom and dad's yesterday and their angle trumpet is covered with blooms again. Crazy year this year for the tropical plants. Wished I had my camera with me to photograph it.

Hey are these going to be flowers on my Aunt's orchid? If you can see the little buds...I hope so. I've been taking into my makeshift green house on the real cold nights. It has these popping out all over the healthier looking stems.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9369799

Thanks, Debra - both of my Grandbabies are precious blooms in my Garden of Life! Here's Sean using the new broom I got him for Christmas - he loves to help his Mama sweep:

Elaine, my Papaya is blooming, too - poor, cold plant! My Passiflora 'Lady Margaret' and my Passiflora ' Vitafolia' are both blooming like crazy. My Senecio confusus (Mexican flame vine) has decided to start blooming - we are getting down to 31 degrees tonight, so it will go bye-bye!

Thumbnail by KayJones

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9369806

Awww...looks like a happy fellow.

My lady Margaret has gone to sleep, but there are still three Gulf Frit caterpillars chomping on what they can of it, but my Crimson passiflora is all over the place and blooming like crazy, we've dipped to 35 for well over five hours last week and I saw some damage but most still blooming. Those cold nights didn't faze my Senecio at all.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9369989

Love those red Passi's, Sherri. Yes, I think that is a bloom spike on your Aunt's orchid. Nice going!

I have a bunch more coming along, too. Orchids are a great fill-in for flowers at this time of year. New spikes coming along nicely, but I'm not likely to see flowers for at least 6 weeks. Durned orchids sure are slow!

These little Spathoglottis are so-called "ground orchids" and they've been blooming for months now!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9370418

Oh yea! I'm so glad.
The ground orchids are pretty, I have one that I've had form many years now, but it never bloomed again, I'm pretty sure it is white. However this year it has more foliage than it ever has, always freezes back to the ground...still no flowers or signs of any though. My Christmas cactus did very well this year.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed         

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 30, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9370506

hello everyone! I hope everyone had a great Christmas and will have a prosperous new year! I have been so busy I didn't even notice my subscription to daves expired. I took a few pictures this morning. I have quite a few bromeliads flowering. the angel trumpet is at least 12 ft. tall and loaded with flowers. they always seem to flower around the full moon.

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 30, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9370511

carambola and more bromeliads.

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 30, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9370585

I have this clerodendren flowering not sure of the name. the last one is for homer, it is the musa varigated 'tani' still alive.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9370678

So many pretty things, Cassie! That musa 'Tani' is going to be gorgeous.

Always love the brugs, don't they smell great? I had not put together the full moon/bloom connection before, but I think you're right. My yellow one was blooming this week, too. Just gave up from last nights cold wind. Let's hope the cold doesn't last . ..

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9370865

Alocasia longiloba "Watsoniana" Sport with inflorescence... I do believe. Oh so much different than my regular A. Watsoniana. I am glad so many of you guys live in the great State of Florida...keeping all those beautiful flower pictures heading our way. Saaaaluuuute!

Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958         

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 31, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9371086

Cassie,
I think that one is Clero. smithianum - light bulb clero. I would LOVE, LOVE to have a couple of cuttings from it or if it has babies like most of the others. I would gladly pay you for it.

Drew, love the alocasia.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and I wish you all a Happy New Year!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9371097

Happy New Year!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9371248

That is a beautiful Alo Drew. The flower looks like it is made of bronze in the first picture.

Love the kitty using his protective coloring under there, too.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9371279

Is it Spring yet?! I just came in from the greenhouse - poor, cramped plants!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9371325

39 here this morning, brrrr, I am ready for spring too. I have frost cloth covering everything even though we have not had any frost yet - but they keep calling for it, it is frustrating.

Drew, either your cat loves to have his (or her) picture taken or it is always busy guarding your plants.

Happy New Year everyone.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9371326

Thanks Elaine! Before you know it Kay! Way to go Cassie... great job...can't wait to see more pictures, nice variegation also! Alice, seems one of those three is always around wanting to be in the picture!

Happy New Year to everyone.

This message was edited Dec 31, 2012 12:48 PM
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9371464

Alice, same here - my yard looks like a grave yard for blankets and sheets!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9371649

I've been doing the "tent city" in my yard the last two nights as well even though we didn't get below 40 yet . Thank goodness it's warmer today, and supposed to stay above 55deg. for the next few days at least!

Not only protecting my orchids and tender tropicals, I have veggies going that will just go dormant if I let the cold air git 'em. Tomatoes ripening on the vines, crookneck squash coming along, peppers just getting started . . . If I can just keep them warm enough, they'll continue to ripen and produce. Two kinds of broccoli could care less about the cold, but it will slow them down a bit as well.

Last toot for Charles Grimaldi's trumpets. We'll see if the next full moon brings them along again - depends how warm it is, I'm guessing.

Poor old Brazilian flame wishes it was back in Brazil, I'll bet! The whole plant has flower heads getting started.

My one concession to Lantanas - this one is called "Butter & Sugar".

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9371715

Gorgeous, Elaine!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9371745

Forgot to say
!!~~^^** "Happy New Year"**^^~~!!

Neighbor's kids are already setting off fireworks in the street, and the cat is trembling under the bed . . . same old new year.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9372227

happy new year to all my friends here..
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9372304

Happy New Year to you and yours, too, Deb - I'm doing not much, just sitting here enjoying the 70-degree, cloudy day. Call if you get a chance. Love you!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9372319

Everybody up for a NEW THREAD for the New Year?? Make a resolution to post a picture with every comment?? We love pictures!

Go to here- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292473/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America