Tropical Garden #127

Blackshear, GA

Please share your pictures of your tropical plants with us or any other plants.Now that it is getting cold, seeing beautiful tropical flowers and plants helps to brighten a dreary day!

We came from here:http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281645/

Looking forward to Spring already......

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Are these Amaryllis blooming NOW?!

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for starting a new thread Paula!

Blackshear, GA

LOL...no..last year. Just posted those in my relation to' looking forward to spring'. We've had two days of cold weather and I am already tired of it. Supposed to be 37 tonight...yuck!! I just hate to see things all brown and ugly! Thank goodness for my GH or I think I would have severe depression not seeing anything bloom.

Hi Drew...got all your babies tucked away?? Where is AeAe?

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

love thos amarillis bulbs, I saw some really really nice ones at my local feed n seed, last year at ACE I got an Elvis for someone.. I have a lovely moonlight, she isn't blooming yet.

This message was edited Nov 8, 2012 6:22 AM

Thumbnail by homer1958

Sorry.... it's early with no coffee yet!

Thumbnail by homer1958
Blackshear, GA

Aww, Drew...you didn't!!!Couldn't get it in the house this year? Is that a pup next to it? Have you cut it back before? I would be worried to death it wouldn't come back. I bet that was hard to do!! All the others look great. I have Big Boy in my family room. Hope he'll like it there for the next four months.

Paula has some of her extra plants listed for sale:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287213/

I asked for the vanilla Orchid, but everything else is up for grabs at great prices!!!

Paula .. Those bananas in the Sweet Potato can next to the pseudostem, are from this plant. As you may know, once they flower they are toast. Now it's time to raise the little ones!

awwwwww does that happen with bananas too?

Blackshear, GA

That's right....forgot you posted that. I think I may have cut off the bloom...would that have prevented it from expiring? How old was it?

Blackshear, GA

Are all those little ones I see coming up around mama? Looks like 5 or 6.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Once a banana stem makes a flower it is done, no matter if you let the flower make fruit or not. The leaves may hang on for a while, but the whole stem will gradually fade and die out.

Drew, you've got a couple of nice looking pups growing there, and new ones coming in Mama's pot too!

Speaking of pups . . we have a new grand daughter - Mallory Jane born last Friday. I am confident she will grow and bloom.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Blackshear, GA

Awwwwwwww!!! Congratulations Elaine. She's beautiful!! Is this your first?

OMG!!! Congratulations to all, but especially Mallory - she is blessed with a WONDERFUL Gramma!!!!! Keep showing us pictures as this little stink weed grows up - we will be her 'Aunties/Uncle'!!!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That's pretty cool, to have online Aunties and Uncles. Thanks all, yes she is our first grandchild, and the first for the other grandparents, too. As you can imagine, it was a real Event for all of us.

Not much new in my garden - except !! My Brazilian Red Cloak that has been in bloom literally all summer lost its last flower head a week or two ago, and now there are new flower heads coming! Can't believe it. Either it is really happy, or it's saying sayonara. We shall see!
Red cloak new flowers
yellow milkweed
Blue Thunbergia blooming away

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Yes Paula, 5 all together. They haven't grown squat since last October (but I do have 2 more in the brood)! It was a pup about 2' tall when I bought it back on Dec.15th '10.

Elaine, That is the AeAe Flag leaf on those bananas that looks like another pup... The pup in the pot to the right, is a Ta Nee that I bought at the Aroid Show.

Thumbnail by homer1958

OK, Paula - plant, corms and seeds are on their way to you!

(Zone 9a)

Mallory Jane is beautiful, you must be floating on air, nothing better than a grand baby.

Do you believe what I found on this NOID nana? I am so bummed, it is November for goodness sakes!!!!!

Thumbnail by ardesia
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Uh oh, poor confused nanner. That's a cool picture, though. Maybe it will warm up again, long enough for it to flower. You'll have to rent a really huge greenhouse to keep it warm enough to get fruit, though.

Yes, I almost wish I lived closer, but . .. I'll see baby and her parents again at Christmas, and they are coming for a visit here in January. I forsee even more travel in my future.

Blackshear, GA

Gosh Drew...slow growers,huh? Maybe now that mama is cut back they will grow more. Can you eat those bananas?
My MIL has banana trees here and they've had actual bananas several times, but seems like they said they wasn't good to eat. We have one down at our house on the coast that has bananas, haven't checked on it lately. How long does it take them to mature?

Yes, They are quite good from what I hear Paula... 2.5-3.5 months depending on the variety to ripen. If it is near a freeze you can cut off the fruit stem and place in a bucket of water to finish them off.

Alice, I have had many that bloomed late in the season. Hate it, but might as well make compost with it! Babies making the WORLD go round!

Philodendron maximum

Schefflera amate

Philodendron giganteum inflorescence

Thumbnail by homer1958 Thumbnail by homer1958 Thumbnail by homer1958

congratulations, Elaine! nothing in the world better than being called Grandma.. ou are going to have fun helping hat beauty grow and bloom.
Drew.. Speechless here..

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Deb. I know it's going to be great. We're lucky that her parents like to go on vacation with us as we are all divers. Marsh and I will fight over who gets to stay dry and babysit on the beach!

So good for your health to have all those beautiful huge plants in the house over winter, Drew. Mm, clean air to breathe.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are some of my favorite tropical plants for winter - veggies in Earth Boxes! Tomato 'Momotaro' are in bloom already, grape tomatoes, eggplant 'Purple Rain', peppers and two kinds of broccoli are coming along like gangbusters. Basil 'Cardinal' will have great big red flower heads as well as tasty leaves. Trying for some celery this winter, didn't work last time I tried, though. We shall see! They used to grow it commercially in this area so it can be done, depends upon the weather I'm guessing.

Starting some seeds of nasturtiums this week to keep color going through the cool days. Maybe try some zinnias next spring to carry through until the tropical flowers take over again.

Heliconia 'Lady Di' still putting up flowers out front.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Must be nice growing veggies in the Winter. You guys deserve it though in that heat year round Elaine! Will that Heliconia live outside over here in the Piedmont?

Thanks Deb! All the credit goes to my wife for putting up with me and it!

(Zone 9a)

Sorry Drew, they are usually cooler than we are during the summer. It is just not fair is it!

I have a heliconia I got from PDN last year. It is living and seemingly healthy but it has not bloomed for me. It is supposed to be hardy in Raleigh so it should be fine by you. I forget which variety it is but PDN carries it.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

The heli's like lots of water and shade in the summer, although they are getting morning sun now, and loving it.

Heat year 'round?? Where?? I had to close the windows last night, it was so chilly. Perfect today, though. I am wearing long pants and will put on my sweatshirt before I go out again this evening.

I do have to cover the veggie plants if the nights get too cold, to keep them from going dormant. Last year we had tomatoes and peppers right through winter. Hoping for more this year. I'm helping with a school garden at the local elementary school, too. Wish us luck with the weather! We're trying for Stone Soup in December.

Thanks Alice!

Elaine, Stone Soup? Good luck with those temps!

If it gets as cold, here in Florida, as predicted for this Jan./Feb., you'll have to buy stones for your soup, 'cause that's all you'll have! LOL

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's the story on Stone Soup, Drew. Great kids story, and of course a morality tale for the rest of us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_soup

We really are blessed with great weather here, although the soupy nights in summer are a bit hard to take. It never got over 93 all this summer. Considering how hot it got elsewhere, we really can't complain. And it's so lovely the rest of the year . . .

My friend sent me this orchid division - Gerberara Snow Ballet - a month ago, and it is still blooming and beautiful. She just calls it "the weed".

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Good morning, everyone! Elaine, tell your friend we will all trade with her for her 'weed' Orchid!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

LoL, Kay she's given away so many divisions of that orchid, it's a wonder it's not in the Invasives list.

Where the heck is everybody gone? The weather must be really good and they're all out in their gardens. I guess that's where I've been, too. Although I have the excuse of visiting family, and beach/boating days to fall back on.

Here's an orchid growing in a "living wall" which I must admit I'd never have thought of, but it sure seems to be happy.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Beautiful plant wall!

Elaine, What is the name of the plant with the round leaves?

Blackshear, GA

ooo, let me guess....peperomia?

Blackshear, GA

I have been busy getting all my plants in...very tiresome job. I will take pictures when done. I am packing them in there like crazy...I do hope they do ok. I've just got to get some air circulation in there. I've got one blowing on my orchids, but need one at the front. My other one bit the dust, they are only good for about a year or two. Between the moisture and running 24/7, it wears them out.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

On that living wall, the shiny round leaves near the top on the right were on a begonia, and yes, Paula's right the ones lower down are peperomia, I think. There was an amazing array of plants on that one section of living wall, nice texture contrast.

It was at the Botanical Garden in Salt Lake and the plants were not labeled. Nice way to humidify your home (or large atrium, in this case) in that dry climate, I think.

Blackshear, GA

Aww, I thought that was yours Elaine. I was going to ask what was behind it for them to grow on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.