Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Mid-South Gardening: November: Traditions and Turkey!

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 179, Views: 998
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9327433

Time for a new thread for November. We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282901/#new

Please join us with your news and daily chat.

I will start with a photo of a flower arrangement I have had for years. The cornucopia is one that belonged to my mother way back in the 1960's. She always had a silk flower arrangement--actually in those days most artificial flowers were plastic-- in the cornucopia for the Thanksgiving holiday. The current arrangement is made from silk flowers and artificial nuts, etc, which I made 10-15 years ago. I think next year I will have to rework it! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9327540

Thanks Marilyn!! I have been so busy I am glad to see the new month. Maybe I'll stay caught up better this month. (Haha!!)

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving this year. I'm gonna try to do it up big. It's gonna be just family so far but you know how that can change. Of course our immediate family is now 15. It is total chaos! What is everyone else doing?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #9327625

Sandra. I'm glad pat is ok. I know how scarey that can be .
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9327692

Good morning, ladies. Hope all is well with each of you!

Jeri: Al and I are leaving on the 17th to drive out to Page, AZ to spend Thanksgiving week with Al's younger brother and his wife. They actually live in San Diego, CA but they have a vacation home in Page. I have not met Al's brother yet but I have talked with him on the phone. Al's sister and her husband from Thousand Oaks, CA will be joining us in Page as well. I've never been to that part of the country although I have driven through AZ on I-40 many times. Page is on the southern end of Lake Powell, which is mainly in Utah. I am looking forward to not only meeting Al's brother and his wife but to seeing some of the sights in the area. I met Al's two sisters and their husbands when they came for our wedding. Al's family has been very gracious to me and have welcomed me into the family. :o) They even invited Laddy (my dog), which made me happy. Both Al's brother and sister have dogs and they will be bringing them so Laddy will have some company, too. :o)
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9327696

Good morning to you too Marilyn and to everyone. Thanks for starting the new November thread! It was needed!

Your trip sounds wonderful, Marilyn. That is a great part of the country to see. If the water isn't down due to all the droughts, Lake Powell is beautiful. Glad you get to take Laddy too. ;~)

My brother and SIL here in town are hosting the Thanksgiving bash this year! I'm secretly sort of happy they are doing it instead of me this time. I think we're up to 18 at last count, due to a marriage, a boyfriend (nieces), and in-laws being invited too. Which is fine and dandy, but our expanding family makes for a house full no matter where we have it. And when you add the grand-kids it makes for organized chaos! We have the biggest outdoor space which is always fun, and I hope I get to show off our new landscape with a visit by some of the folks if they get a chance to swing by out house. This brother doesn't have any kids, so they don't quite know how to handle all the energy (and dirt, spills, etc) in the house at one time.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 8, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9327699

October went by so fast, now Nov is sailing by too. We will have the Mills family supper at our fellowship hall on Thanksgiving night. Now that I am baby sitting, I won't cook as much as usual, just a wash tub of dressing and I a, going to do the turkey this year in an electric roaster I got after Christmas last year on sale.
I cooked a breast in it last week for practice and it turned out great.

Marilyn, what fun going on a thanksgiving trip !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9327747

Our Thanksgiving day will be quiet. We don't usually celebrate Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving day. One day during the weekend we will be celebrating Thanksgiving and Richard's granddaughter's birthday. Her birthday is actually on Thanksgiving this year. Christmas I will be going to CA again. Already have my airline ticket.

Marilyn Utah is a pretty state. We drove the length of it this summer as I met everyone in Las Vegas and we rented a van and drove from there. They went on up to the Grand Tentons, etc and dropped me off at the Salt Lake City airport so we drove from the southern end of Utah all the way up to the northern part.

I've been spending lots of time on my antique booths. I've created another business again and I am having lots of fun as well as working lots with it. I have three large spaces now and probably need to quit at that. Furniture is the main thing I'm selling which requires lots of lifting and moving but I figure it will just keep me in shape! I'll probably be like the little old lady I see at one of the auctions I go to. She is up in her eighties and can barely walk (she uses a walker). But she is still buying and selling.

Debra is the one that got me back into all this again!!! Her fault! She kept trying to get me to open a little small booth. It didn't take me long to get back in the groove again!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 8, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9327754

How is Debra doing now? I know the holidays coming will be rough on them

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9327761

They are both doing fine. His other son finished graduate school and he and his wife have moved back here and they spend lots of time with them.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9327866

Marilyn you are gonna really love that area. Lake Powell is so pretty and then they have so many other sites to see also. We stayed just across Glen Dam in the national park RV grounds right on Lake Powell. I know that Al's family is gonna love you without a doubt, how could they not!!! When do you leave? Yall have fun!!!

How is Pat doing today, Sandra. Does the new meds seem to be helping?

Elaine can't wait for the pictures of the finished project. You are always doing something. I think you got an extra dose of energy!!

I still need to order the fried turkey. My son doesn't want to do it this year. He said you can buy them just as cheap. (Wonder what we are gonna do with the 2 not 1 regular turkey friers and the electric frier?)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 8, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9327926

Pat is still feeling tired and weak, but no chest pains

I just found out they have done a code blue on Judy's hubby Wayne this morning, they got him breathing, but don't know any more

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9328130

I hadn't heard that Wayne was having trouble again. Will remember the entire family in prayer.

gen2026
Camden, AR

November 8, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9328141

Has Wayne been in the hospital ALL this time Sandra?? or has he been home? I don't think I have seen him mentioned lately... Prayers for Judy - I know that is so hard for her.

Marilyn, I love the cornucopia - I looked for one of those for a long time because I wanted one for a decoration similar to what you have. Never did find one and finally got something else for my thanksgiving decor. Unfortunately, I haven't even gotten it put out - and at this point, I think I will move straight into Christmas! I hope to wrap my first Christmas presents tonight ... I keep having this dream that SOME DAY I will have all my shopping done early, gifts wrapped, tree up and actually be able to ENJOY December. Hasn't happened yet - but if I wrap a few gifts it will get me started anyway! ^_^ Sounds like you will have a wonderful trip for Thanksgiving. Don't have a clue what we are doing or when...Alex's bday is the 24th so we have to fit that in there as well, and with this being the first year of them being married - they have to work out all the visiting between families...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 8, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9328192

No, Wayne went back into the hospital about 10 days ago, I just got a call that he is gone.
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

November 8, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9328224

So sorry for you bad news Sandra. We'll all be thinking of you and yours.

Thanksgiving is just week after next!!!! I am luckily going to my DIL's parents house here in LR and I have to bring the fruit salad my grandmother always made, and serve it in the emerald green glass "fruit salad bowl". And . . . I have to make the dressing too. I LOVE dressing, so that won't be any inconvenience for me.

Do all of you put eggs in your dressing? My mom didn't that I can remember. I have used a can of either chicken or mushroom soup instead.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9328246

So sorry to hear about Wayne!!! Thoughts and prayers with you all!

Sarah I put 6 raw eggs in my dressing. I make it the same way my grandmother made it (my mother's mother). I make a pan of cornbread and then crumble it along with some white bread. I sauteed an onion and an some celery in a stick of butter and add that to the bread mixture along with salt, pepper and sage. Then I add chicken broth until it floats. I also like to add some turkey or chicken to the dressing if I have it. I probably will make some dressing and cook a turkey breast Thanksgiving. We both really like it and I only cook it about one time a year. I just don't like what you buy as well as my own.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 8, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9328256

Thanks

Sarah I would like your fruit salad recipe. I love fruit salad, I make my dressing with raw eggs also, since I have to make it in a dishpan, I use about a dozen in mine. My Gunny used to put boiled eggs in hers, I don't care for that now, just got out of the habit of eating it that way.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9328288

Sandra I am so sorry!!! Please give Judy our condolences!!! I hadn't heard that Wayne wasn't doing well.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9328294

Sandra, sorry to hear about Wayne.

Sarah, I don't use eggs in my dressing, and I don't use chicken or mushroom soup, just chicken broth or part of the broth from the turkey. I think my mother and Grandmother used eggs and I know my aunt did. And they did sometimes put chopped egg in the giblet gravy. But no one used soup. Everyone makes it a different way.

Now for the big reveal -
1. It all started with us wanting to move this Japanese Maple from the front bed. We had to decide where to put it so out guy recommended here. We agreed after discussing about 3 other options. He also suggested tying 2 existing beds together, enlarging the back beds a good big. Basically the old bed stopped about where the stepping stones are now. We also ripped out some old shrubs where the hydrangeas are on the left. Transplanted some hostas under the JM. There is also a dward gardenia and mondo grass and a smaller rock.

2. A view from the other side. The pond bed ended about where the other stepping stones are on this side. Added another gardenia and 3 'Rainbow' Leucothoe and the stone edging to match up with what was already around the pond. There is a row of 'Little Princess' spirea in the border. Oh yeah...and another big rock. We had several...When we built, we just left them in the yard, not knowing how deep they were. We were so focused on getting in the house we never thought to have the builder try to get them out and have lived with mowing around them or putting the beds around them in some fashion all this time.

3. Going back to the front, which is where we really where we ripped out a bunch of old yaupons. This BFR (big friendly rock) came out of the back yard. DH and my landscape guy decided it would be a great focal point. I agree. Love it. This is where the JM came from. We chose encore azaleas, 'Purple Diamond' lorapetalum, a much smaller variety of JM (Orangeola) which you can barely see behind the rock), and Spreading Japanese Plum Yew in the foreground. There is another row of Encore Azaleas ('Autumn Royalty') down the walk.

4. This is toward the other side of the front entry. More azaleas, lorapetalum, and back in the corner, some cryptomeria that I had. The bump out by the entry he left for me to put some annual color or whatever I want to play with. Then there are some Pieris (Mtn Fire I think) and 'Moonbeam' nandina. We left the Crepe Myrtle and the tall Sky Pencil Holly on the corners.

5. Going on around the corner of the house...He divided a 'Limelight' hydrangea into 3 and those will provide a screen for the A/C-Heat Pump. It's a fast grower so no doubt it will fill in soon I hope.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying   Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying   Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying   Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying   Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Click an image for an enlarged view.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9328305

A couple more and I'm through boring you...

1. This is a broader view of the front with the row of azaleas that replaced the ugly yaupons that were formerly in these beds. Now it's azaleas and in the 'football' bed there are also gardenias (dwarf).

2. He took out a few things and tweaked one end of our driveway entry. I had some carex (sedge) and a couple of arbovitae I didn't want to just trash, and also had to dig up some black-eyed susans so he trimmed some things and put them out here. And 3 more big rocks. These rocks came from our neighbors property and he was getting rid of them. We think they once were the foundation of a log cabin. We took the pile of them as he didn't want them and I've been using them for borders in my beds.

3. View from the patio. I almost forgot...we moved some things from this bed against the porch. He planted 'Densiformis Spreading Yew' (behind the bench). Now I want to get a new fire pit. This one is about rusted out anyway. The whole yard makes me smile everytime I look at it.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying   Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying   Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying      

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9328353

Elaine the beds look great. Your JM are gorgeous. How old is the yellow one? I have never used the Leucothoe before can you tell me anything about them? I love your edging is that new too?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9328370

Love your beds Elaine! I really like your big rock. I think they really do make a great focal point. That is a beautiful Japanese Maple.
My windows are long like yours (almost to the floor) and my foundation plants are old and have gotten too tall. I keep cutting them back but what I really need to do some time is just rip it all out and plant some new ones. You're inspiring me but I'm not that there yet!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9328420

Jeri, that JM is about 15 years old. It has been trimmed back once and that was about 5-6 years ago. He did trim a little off the bottom when they moved it. I hope it doesn't shock it too badly but so far it isn't showing any damage. If we have a 'normal' winter, I'm hopeful it will be ok. They are actually pretty hardy. I had another one moved about 5 years ago and you couldn't tell it was moved either.

I have no familiarity with the leucothoe either. This is a first, but they are supposed to be easy, slow growing and deer resistant. We'll see. I'll try to get a picture this weekend. I love the foliage as it's really nicely variegated.

Charlotte, I hear you about trying to keep things trimmed back. I was so tired of keeping things trimmed back. I didn't think about that with the long windows but you do have to work on it more. I didn't think the yaupons would get as big as they did. I grew to dislike them immensely.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9328432

I have azaleas in the back and yaupons in the front of them. The azaleas have grown so much they have just about taken over the yaupons which is fine with me. My shrubs are from 1971 when the house was built! Who ever did the planting did a really nice job to begin with and they were really pretty and well thought out 30 years ago when I moved in. I had some tall evergreens at the corners of the house I had to take out a number of years ago due to ice storm damage and also took out that really sticky low growing holly. I've been saying for the last several years I need to take it all out and just start over but I know it's going to be a monumental task! The one thing I've found with yaupons is you can't kill them! I cut mine way back - to the point there are no leaves left and they look horrible. But in a few weeks they are sprouting their leaves again.

Variegated foliage is my new love! Variegated or bright green! It breaks up the landscape and really adds interest.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9328581

I feel so much sorrow for Judy. Prayers for the family.

Elaine, everything looks so nice!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9328602

Sandra: so sad about Judy's DH's passing! Please give her a big hug from me. (((((((((((((((((Judy))))))))))))))))))

Charlotte: you are a work-aholic---LOL-- but that is nothing new! I am sure you are enjoying your new business. It's a good thing I don't live close to you or I would be exploring your booths on a weekly basis! :D

Elaine: your flowerbeds look wonderful! I love the "BFR". :o) Do the deer nibble on your JM's? I brought two small JM's back from Jim's place. I put them out under some big oak trees and I have discovered that the deer have been nibbling on them. :o( I may have to have Al build some kind of barrier around them. We have deer that visit our property almost daily, much to Al's delight (deer season, you know) but I am going to have to start picking plants that are deer-resistant.

I am really looking forward to our trip to Page, AZ--especially after reading the comments you ladies have made about visiting the area. :o) We leave on the 17th and will return on the 25th.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9328634

Marilyn I had a feeling you were going to have problems with the deer eating your plants. I took 4 or 5 acuba's out to wildwood and the deer just want leave them alone. A couple of them they ate almost to the ground! I don't know if they will make it. We had to replace some camelia's they ate so much on them they looked pitiful. So far they are leaving the new ones alone. We planted lots of hostas in two places and they ate EVERY one of them down to the ground and succeeded in killing them! Other things they seem to leave alone. We have lots of Japanese maples and so far they have left them alone. They just seem to choose certain things and decide that's want they want to eat.

Yes I'm a work-a-alcoholic! Always have been - always will be! I love doing new things, meeting different people, etc.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9328674

I haven't had a problem with deer and my JMs, but they are close/next to the house. I made the mistake with an acuba when we first moved to the country and I had not educated myself about deer proof and deer resistant shrubs/plants yet. Acuba is one of their favorites. Deer resistant doesn't mean they won't eat it, but they might leave it alone if there is something else to eat. Come January when everything else is gone in the woods, you'd better look out. I've also had them eat some of my DL foliage in spring and late winter, camelias, azaleas that are in my beds far from the house, and some other things I thought were ok. My neighbor, on the other hand, has some huge camelias between her house and their detached garage. Apparently the deer have left those alone. I may get up the nerve to try again with those one day. So far, no luck.

Thanks all for the nicecompliments! If DH and I had to do all that work, we'd still be out there working on it next spring!! I'm glad we did it.
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 9, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9328846

Elaine the beds are beautiful! I love the edging too! Is that bricks? I bet you do smile every time you look at it. Love that JM, and the big rocks!!

Sandra, so sorry to hear about Wayne. Hugs to Judy! I know this has been a long hard battle for them.

Marilyn, I have trouble with deer sometimes too. They ate almost all my rose bushes down to the ground, that is how I lost my gunny's rose. Then they ate my camellias one winter - stripped them bare... but last winter they didn't bother them. I have camellias up close to the house that they don't bother... guess they aren't brave enough to come right up to the house. Or at least, I hope they don't decide to!

Kyle will be having his gall bladder removed on 11/19 - we don't know a time yet. But I would definitely appreciate ya'll keeping him in your prayers. Hopefully by thanksgiving he will be able to eat whatever he wants...

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9329165

Thanks, Genna. The front beds are brick edging, the back beds around the pond and around the new bed are stones. We sorts mixed them, but when we had the flagstone patio done we built up some stacked stone beds and continued them around the pond. We had to marry-up with the existing stone and then with some of the existing brick in one spot so it's a bit of a mix on the side, but I didn't want to rip all of it out. I really like the brick paver edge. It's been there almost since we built (15 years now) and the guy must have done a fantastic job because nothing has grown up in my beds through it.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9329294

So far the only plants that I know the deer have eaten are the JM and the penstemon that Elaine gave me. They didn't totally eat the JM--just the tender leaves at the very top. I am going to have Al construct some kind of "cage" around it to keep the deer away from it. I have only one hosta and it is up against the house. So far they have not come all the way up to the flower beds against the house. I am going to have to study up on plants that deer don't eat and try to use just those.

Charlotte, I am glad you told me about the hostas. I was planning on putting some under the JM but I will not plan to do that now.

Deer gun season starts here in the morning. Al will be out before sunup getting to his deer stand. He usually only takes one deer because that is all he has needed in times gone by and I am sure it will be all we will need, too. We had a lot of errands to run today and were gone from home most of the day. Everywhere we went we saw guys in their pickup trucks pulling little trailers that held either 4-wheelers or mules. It was obvious where they were all headed!! :D

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9329342

Marilyn from what I understand hostas are one of deer's favorite foods!!! I've heard lots of other people that have a deer problem say they really have a like hostas and other tender leaf plants. Sounds like your just going to have to work around the deer. Doesn't sound like Al is going to be willing to do anything that will discourage them from coming into your yard and beds. He's got a long established pattern of how he does it.

I was in south AR the day before deer season opened several years ago. Hwy 167 was like one big long parade. They were not just hauling 4 wheelers but they had every imaginable contraption in the back of their pickups and on trailers. It was so fascinating that I finally just pulled into a church parking lot and just sat and watched them go by for a long time. I just sat and laughed! Makes me chuckle just thinking about it now! But then it doesn't take much to keep me entertained!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9329368

Marilyn this site has some very good information about what plants deer are prone to eat.
http://pender.ces.ncsu.edu/files/library/71/Deer%20Resistant%20Plants.pdf
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 9, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9329395

I know they don't eat daffodils...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9329457

I'm sorry for the Los of Judy's husband. That is so sad. Please tell her Sandra how sorry we all are. Praying for her.

Beautiful yard Elaine !! Your house is beautiful!!!

I had some nice bunches of zinnias this year. Hope to have more next year and maybe some poppies too. I just love poppies.

They put a hold on our refinance and appraisal the other day. Said we have to put down a floor in amber's room, it's just concrete right now. And we have to do a little siding on the outside of the house. We r refinancing. Dropping our interest from 6.8 to 2.5. Saving ourselves almost 40,000 on our payback. So we will be on the ball to finish up the house .

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9329470

Marilyn, I'm surprised they ate the penstemon...they have left mine alone, but mine is near the garage. Charlotte, yes, hostas are candy for deer. I have them next to the house and they have been ok, which is why I went with them again, under the JM, but putting them out by the woods won't work.

Kathy-ann, I love zinnias too, and mine re-seed so I haven't really had to re-plant in a while. I love poppies too but haven't had any luck getting them started. That's wonderful getting that lower interest rate! It's really a great time to do that with such low rates. Lower payments and great savings...Whoo Hoo!! And thanks!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9329559

Yes this is a great time to refinance! My house has been paid for for about 10 years now and I would sure hate to make house payments again!

Lots to do today! The big Christmas Open House for the antique mall is today. I'm taking a big fruit and cheese tray and have got to get it all assembled. I'll probably spend part of my day there.

I still haven't gotten all my tropicals put away for the winter. I need to work it that some more this weekend also.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9329895

I'm so tired that I can't hardly move. This is what I did today. Doesn't look like much but toward the end I couldn't even lift the loapers up to make another cut.

Thumbnail by jeri11   Thumbnail by jeri11   Thumbnail by jeri11   Thumbnail by jeri11   

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9329906

Are you going to put frost cloth over them now? I've decided I'm going to put some of mine in the ground this springs. I have enough that if they don't make it, no big deal!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9329915

If I can move tomorrow that is my plan. I normally cover by 11/15 and uncover by 3/15. This way it will be done and I don't get in the middle of Thanksgiving cooking and it turn cold. I'm cutting the Monster pink brug back tomorrow and sending LK some cuttings of that along with the Giant Red Turk's Cap and the Pink Turk's Cap, hopefully Mon.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9329929

Girl, you've been busy out there!! No wonder you're tired!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9329935

It's supposed to get to 36 here a couple of nights next week. I was really busy today but did get a few more things put away today. I plan to try and finish up tomorrow. I'm like you, I don't like to have to run around at the last minute trying to put things up or cover up. I can remember running around in the dark in the rain one year and don't want to have to do that again!!! Once was enough!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9329943

Our weather looks like it isn't gonna freeze next week but like you said who wants to be out in bad weather doing it. I'm having a problem with my electricity in the little G/H. It has blown 2 of those power stripes and I can't figure out why?

Thanks Elaine!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

November 12, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9330936

Elaine, your beds look great! I love those BFRs too! That JM has a beautiful color.

For once I have all of my winter stuff in early except my brugs. I left them out to enjoy those last blooms. It may have something to do with not having as much... lol

I don't have trouble with the deer eating my hostas but I have found that my ducks love them. The chew on the stems right at the base of the leaves.

Terrye

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9330958

Hi Terrye! Good to see you posting!
I've decided I'm going to put some of my plants in the ground in the spring and mulch them very heavy with leaves in the fall. I have enough brugs that if I lose some it's not big deal! I went crazy one year collecting brugs and now that they are getting big it's getting ridiculous!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9330981

Good to see you posting Terrye.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9331535

Hi Terrye!! Great to hear from you, and thanks! Glad you got all your stuff in. I didn't put out much that had to be brought in this year. Thankfully, I have mine in too!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9331547

I almost have all mine in!!! I happened to notice that we could get down to 33 tonight. So I scurried around and got all but 3 brugs in late this afternoon. They are in big pots and tall and in spots that are hard to get to. It got to dark too deal with it tonight. But they should be fine for just one cold night. Take that back! Just remembered I have a few things on the deck that need to go in. I actually need to take them out of the pot they are in and put in a new pot. Oh well they should be ok also for one night. The deck is covered.

Where did the year go!! Can't believe it will soon be 2013!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 12, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9331593

Me too Charlotte, it has really gone by fast.

I have a few things on the porch, I have covered with a quilt top the cold nights, but just don't want to bring them inside, we have so much baby stuff, walker, high chair, stroller that I don't really know where I will put them if I do bring them in.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9331627

You are so right!! I have been wondering where the year had gone!!

It's amazing Sandra how much one baby requires. I would have as much baby food at my house as the kids had at theirs. I never figured that one out.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 12, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9331644

It takes me half a day to get ready to go somewhere with him, like moving to go any where !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9331653

Your right! I remember those days! I remember taking the twins to the mall by my self one time when I was out there. I had watched Kristi fold and unfold the stroller very effortless. It was not effortless for me!!! I wrestled and twisted and pulled on that thing. Don't remember how I finally got it open! Imagine everything you have twice! She kept extra clothes and other supplies in the van all the time!! She still keeps sweat shirts and jackets in it.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9331660

Thanks, Charlotte, for that link. I will check it out. You are correct in saying that Al is not going to discourage the deer from visiting our property! :D

Good to see you posting, Terrye!

Jeri, you have been busy but then you usually are! LOL

I have all my plants inside in Al's man cave--made room for them there rather than using the glassed-in porch as a greenhouse. I just wasn't comfortable with using a heater in there to keep the plants warm enough. The man cave is heated so there won't be any problem with keeping them warm enough and Al really doesn't use that space for much except storing his hunting "stuff".

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9331699

We don't have deer but have our own set of animal problems! We've been having problems with some ferral cats. My next door neighbor has been talking to some group called FURR. He has trapped a couple of the small one and had them neutered. His wife is trying to make them pets. But we still keep seeing black cats. He has trapped two more and taken to them to FURR. He set another trap in my yard this afternoon trying to catch one particular cat. I just let Charlie and Samantha out for the last time tonight and they were having a fit. I discovered my neighbor has caught one very mad possum instead of a cat!! Sure glad it's in his trap (actually FURR's trap) and he is the one that is going to deal with getting rid of it!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9331819

Soooo, not to change the subject, What are we all cooking for Thanksgiving this year? I just realized it's NEXt WEEk!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 13, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9331839

Kathy Ann, it is like we said above, where has this year gone? I am not cooking as much as I usually do. I bought an electric turkey roaster after Christmas last year, so I am doing the turkey and of course a dishpan of dressing ! I might make some sweet potato pies, will have to see how things go.
I plan on taking the turkey and roaster over to the church about 1 and just let it cook there. We will eat about 6:30 so that should give it time to cook and to rest, I made a breast in it last week checking it out and it does a great job.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9331854

My brother and SIL are hosting this year and are cooking the turkey and dressing. She makes wonderful dressing so that's good. Everyone is bringing something. I am responsible for the deviled eggs and my green beans (not a casserole!). It's a healthy sauteed green bean. And if she comes up with something else at the last minute, I'll bring something else too. That doesn't sound like much but I know we'll have a table full of stuff...sweet potato casserole (DD's recipe - no marshmallows), dessert and sides from my brother in Montgomery - he's a wonderful cook, and who knows what else. That brother's MIL is also coming and so are my nieces and their SO's (new hubby and a BF of long time). We'll have a house full and a belly full by the end of the day.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9331856

I'm not cooking anything except maybe some pumpkin bread. We are going to Al's brother's house and his wife does all the cooking--she likes to do it and doesn't want anyone else to help. Sounds good to me!! ROFL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9331965

I'm cooking but only the dressing and a few sides that the number keeps growing every time I talk to Jim. We've ordered the turkey and a sandwich tray and a fruit tray. So that will at least take that much off of me. My sister is doing the yeast rolls and Terrie is doing a Sock it To Me cake.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9332201

Well. I need to find somewhere to go on thanksgiving. I seem to have to do all the cooking. And I don't mid sharing lol.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9332337

Well KA you can always grab your DH and come to La. There will always be room for you.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9332441

Awe! thanks Jeri! I'm beginning to feel like my Dh has left me permanently. he's been at the deer camp since last wed, and isn't coming home till this sunday! I have not been cooking at all! lol

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9332447

My family may faint. It has been so long since I cooked. I wish I could forget how.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 13, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9332502

Some days I like to cook and some days I hate it ! I hate having to figure out what to cook worse than the actual cooking

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9332510

I hate figuring out where to even go eat. Everyone just looks at each other with that duh look.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9332568

Ditto that, Sandra. And Jeri. Y'all are making me laugh and laugh!! Are we all alike or what??!! This is too funny!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9332666

I'm just telling you how we are here!!! It might be funny, if it wasn't so aggravating. We have that app on the phone Around Me and we sit and go thru an entire list of different restaurants. I could see trying to cook for everyones wants now.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9332695

Jeri you all sound like us!! As Richard says "well for the internal question - what are we going to eat tonight"? We can't even think of where we want to eat must less what we want to eat if I cooked it!!! I just don't cook much at all any more and I've learned to like it! It's more trouble to cook for two than to just go out. I'm a cook by mood kind of person anyway. I like to cook but I have to be in the mood and I'll have to say the mood doesn't strike me very often any more!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9332869

Tell Richard that I call it the "infernal question".
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 14, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9332984

LOL... well I am the ONLY one that cooks at my house - Leigh NEVER cooks! And I am the same way...sick of cooking, and worse yet, sick of deciding WHAT to cook. When I ask for suggestions, he is never any help. I am sure that will not be an issue tonight because Kyle has to come home to get his pre op workup done, and I am SURE he will have something he wants for supper! He has been wanting homemade chili really bad...but I am afraid it would really make his stomach hurt. Not sure what he will ask for, but at least i won't have to try to decide tonight.

I have been working a lot of afternoons in my yard until dark - which granted since the time changed is only about 1.5 hrs if I am lucky! But, after that, I am real tempted not to cook... we have had cereal or sandwiches some nights, but several nights I have still cooked.

Of course, if we are eating out in Camden there are not many options so it doesn't usually take long to decide! :)

Jeri, I know what you mean about working and working and working and it not looking like you have accomplished much. that is exactly how I feel with my foundation planting! I have been trying to get my cardboard and paper down between the new plants and the mulch in place. Been working on it for weeks and I still have not emptied the first pallet of mulch!

1. I worked for over 5 hrs on Sunday just to tie the work I had done in the end of my bed to where the mulch had stopped last spring at the end of the house... of course, it takes the longest time to get the cardboard and paper in place...the mulch itself goes really fast. i am HOPING that all the time and effort it is taking to put down the cardboard and paper will be worth it in the long run in helping to avoid weeds. I figure I have close to 20 hrs of work in just this ONE part of the bed! I cringe when I realize I have over 60' of bed on the opposite end to do!

2. Here is a small start on getting the far end of the bed done. My previous landscaping from the spring had ended at the end of my porch (on the front side) and had not gone around to the actual end of the porch. The camellia in this area had mulch around it because it has been there for several years - but I moved my hydrangeas that were in this area, and added another smaller type camellia, then started with the cardboard and paper... I have been working on this area in little spurts in the evenings when I can get home in time to do so. Just about 1.5 ft and I will be at the far end of the house! :)

3. I started out with three pallets of mulch - down to the last 19 bags on the first one... not sure why but i can't get the pic to load correctly...

I ran out of cardboard, and it won't be long before I will be out of newspaper. I have been hoarding newspaper and cardboard for over 2 yrs to try to get ready to do this huge foundation planting...and I can't believe I am already out ! I snatched some cardboard boxes at work yesterday, and even asked for some when I went thru the Andy's drive thru at lunch that the guy was about to throw away... so I have a little more that hopefully can go down this afternoon. Guess I need to swing by some of the businesses and see if I can get some more boxes!

Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026      

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9333086

I'd almost rather someone tell me what they want than me try to decide anymorel. I'm fresh out of ideas, and when I do decide to try something new, I sometimes get the stink-eye or eye-roll. Bleah!!! Who needs that?!?

Wow, Genna! You've been a busy little beaver too! I love how it's looking already! Don't give up. You can always just till, amend your soil and throw down the cardboard, newspaper and mulch over it, then plant later. It will get your bed in good shape. Would save you some work and having to look for the plant material now.

Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

November 14, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9333129

Thanks to everyone on the dressing recipes.

Elaine - my mom didn't use eggs either and it always tasted great. Your flower beds are wonderful - great job.

Sandra - I don't use raw eggs. Don't have the recipe in front of me, but you use an egg with pineapple juice (2/3 cup?) and 1 Tbsp.flour and pinch of salt and cook till very thick. I think that's all that's in it.

Don't know what else we'll be having except sweet potato casserole that Aunna's dad always makes, and probably green bean casserole that my son always makes. Don't you just love it when the men like to cook too? My sons will even do the dishes!!!!!!! Now that's a holiday!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9333187

Well my thoughts for Thanksgiving were Fried turkey, Ham, Dressing( I put 4-5 boiled eggs in mine, but I take a fork and shred the egg so you will never even see it in there) Purple Hull Peas, nice salad, bread pudding, chocolate chip cookies and maybe a pecan pie. Jim has added green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole already. Here we go!!!!
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

November 14, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9333237

Yum!!!! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9333389

Your beds are looking good Genna! Like Elaine said right now it's not important to get plants in place and everything just like you want it. The main thing is to just cover up your area with newspaper and cardboard and cover with some mulch. One of the purposes of the newspaper and cardboard is to help condition your soil as well as to help keep the weeds down. So in the spring it's easy to just dig a hole where you want to plant something.

Thanksgiving is too far away to be making any decisions about it! LOL But for dinner I had a bowl of chicken and dumplings and jalapeno cornbread with honey. Richard had chicken fried steak with LOTS of gravy and a double order of applesauce. No I didn't cook any of it!!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9333453

Ugh!!! the where to eat/what to eat question. MY DH is the WORST with figuring out where he wants to eat (I'm easy and could eat the same thing 20 times in a row) finally one day after 20 minutes of standing in the hot sun waiting for an answer I said 'really Wayne just pick a place - we are going to eat again you know, we'll be doing this all over in about 5 hours and you'll get another shot at it' so now when he is hem-hawing around and I give that look he always says 'I know I know we are going to eat again so just pick somewhere' I just hate that game and if I say a place he ALWAYS isn't feeling like eating there. Sometimes I'll say well I could eat at Corky's or at Dixie Cafe and then he can pick which one he wants - I don't know why that makes it easier but it does for him:)

Thanksgiving is a whole other story we'll have between 19 and 25 people here and DH does all the heavy cooking plus everyone brings a side dish. I absolutely dislike Thanksgiving and really haven't ever liked it - I don't know why except I'm not really a turkey and ham person plus it just makes me nervous and irritable and while I enjoy the company of my family I could do without the stacks and stacks of dirty dishes and leftovers galore to decide what to do with. But everyone expects it and DH loves it - it is his favorite holiday so the show must go on:(
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9333466

Well, My daughter is making me look bad, she is such a healthy eater, really just sticking to fish and chicken for her meats and alot of times, just veggies, the other night she fixed quinua mixed with sauted mushrooms, peas , corn and feta cheese. made my mouth water. I'd really like to move in with her and let her cook for me. I have fallen off the healthful eating wagon and I need to jump back on . I told Darren we were eating healthy tomorrow night and he just laughed at me lol.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9333472

Karen that sounds like us! I usually let Richard choose because when I do he says the same thing as Wayne - well I don't think I feel like eating that tonight! Me I can always find something to eat anywhere we go! Or I'll do like you and throw out a couple of suggestions for him to choose from. You know I just don't think people in general cook as much as we used to! There are so many easier options. I did make a shrimp pasta the other night. I really slaved over the stove to make it!LOL I had some precooked shrimp from Sam's. So I boiled some bow tie pasta and after the pasta had cooked threw the shrimp in the same water for a minute or so to let them get nice and hot then opened up a jar of Ragu sauce and heated some of it in the microwave. Put the pasta and shrimp in a couple of bowls and poured the sauce over it. And dinner was served!!!! LOL
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9333487

Charlotte I am glad to know I'm not alone. Wayne is so funny about eating he cannot eat the same thing twice in a row - if he had a hamburger for lunch then no way is he eating a hamburger for supper. Me I couldn't care less - besides a hamburger from Wendy's and one from Corky's are two completely different foods to me. The only thing he can eat day after day is tacos his mom was Spanish and tacos are a comfort food for him. But he usually won't even eat those back to back. When we get to the restaurant he'll peruse the menu for 10 minutes even though I already could tell you what he is going to eat before we get there. He eats the same thing every time in most restaurants and he's really a picky eater so not like he is going to change it up, but there we sit while he reads the whole menu front to back - I've usually got my mind made up in 2 seconds. I've learned to just sit quietly - the sooner he finishes reading the menu the sooner we get to order:) I feel quite sure that God has a purpose in matching up two people in this world, trouble is I'm not sure if he is trying to drive me or Wayne insane!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 15, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9333682

I guess I am the minority here, I have to cook. We are too far out from town torun and pick something up. Thursday-Sat, the little diner in Dumas is open, about once a month, maybe twice, Jerry and his Mom eat fish from there. I got a country fried steak this week end, and Cayla got a hamburger.
I have to work around Jerry's Moms health problems-high cholestrol , taking blood thinners and salt because her ankles are swelling all time now. Jerry and I both have the high cholestrol, Cayla is just not going to eat beans or cabbage. It is hard to find something we all like and can eat without too many health issues, Jerry's Mom also has trouble chewing, she still hasher own teeth, but very few of them left.
She likes the hot chicken sandwich from McDonalds, so if I get her something from town, that is usually what she wants-I don't want anything from McDonalds, except breakfast.
Jerry is not picky and will eat whatever I put in front of him, with the exception being tuna salad !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9333918

LOL!! Jerry must be kin to Jimmy. I loved tuna fish before I got pregnant and the day I got pregnant, I couldn't stand the smell of it. After, Jimmy was born I went back to loving tuna and Jimmy can't stand the smell.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 15, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9333945

That is his problem too,

Judy called last night and said she thought she was getting a kidney infection, said her side had been hurting like it usually does with infection or a stone. She went to church and of course there had to be a new treasurer elected, Wayne had been treasurer since 1973-she said she made it fine until then, but said Bro Howard just stopped and came to her and hugged her and told her it had to be done and he was so sorry.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9334012

Poor Judy that is so sad and that would be really hard to sit thru. Thinking of her:)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9334050

I knew it had to be something for her to call that late. Hugs to Judy and you too, Sandra!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 15, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9334084

Friends, I need your help... I have a very urgent and important prayer need. I am not at liberty to say what it is at this time, but I know that God knows... I would appreciate any prayers that you could lift up on my family's behalf. Also, Kyle is scheduled for surgery on Monday at 9 - if you will please keep him in your prayers I would appreciate it.

I will disclose more details as I know more and can do so ... just need to know that i have someone helping me in lifting up prayers. You all mean so much to me, I really appreciate each of you.

Genna
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9334110

Prayers for your family, Genna--whatever the need, God does know! Hugs all around!

Edited to say that it is 4:57 p.m. here at my house--I don't know why it is showing 5:55 p.m. over there on the left.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2012 5:57 PM
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9334219

Genna, you've got our prayers coming. Both for Kyle for guiding hands during his surgery and for whatever other needs you and your family have at this time. We love you and care about you, but you know that!! Love you! God will provide for your needs, so rest in that knowledge and be at peace.

Elaine

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9334235

Genna praying for your family whatever the need. Also praying God guides the surgeon's hand during Kyle's surgery.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9334310

I'm also there for you Genna!!! God hear our prayers!!! We clam these Victorys, my friend!!! Now rest in this knowledge!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 16, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9334757

Put your HOPE in The Lord, Genna

This is a prayer that you can pray for people when you don't know their needs and it comes straight from the Bible

Colossians 1:9-14
King James Version (KJV)
9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Love and hugs
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9334988

That's a great prayer, Sandra! I have prayed those verses on a regular basis for my family and friends for years. God's word does not return to him void!
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 17, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9335530

That is beautiful Sandra! THANK YOU so much for sharing that with me. I need continued prayers and LOTS of them! Leigh has been given notice that he will lose his job in January...unless he can find an opening in another part of the company to transfer into. His Central Office has been scheduled for a forced reduction and he has less seniority than the other guy who works in it. HAD we only known that this was how the system worked - he would never have transfered to Magnolia 9 yrs ago... IF he had remained in Hope, he would have had seniority there. We were clueless and assumed it went by overall seniority, but it doesn't. :( Anyway, with two in college, there will have to be some major changes in store if he loses his job. Our economy is pitiful with almost no jobs of any kind available... I am sure we will have to put our house up for sale because we can't cover it with my salary alone! My kids are scared, and so am I although we are trying hard to keep our faith...and I realize there are people that are in worse shape than we are. We should be able to sell our home for what we owe on it or more with little to no problem, and we have my Mom's old house and our rental properties so we wouldn't be out on the street. Plus, the kids have enough scholarships to cover their tuition/room and board, it is just the spending money, car payments, gas, cell phone, car insurance, etc that is soooo expensive! There has been a small glimmer of hope for the possibility of transfer, but it is a LONG shot, and the job would have to open and be filled BEFORE January for it to happen. Once he is terminated, there will be so going to another at&t job. :( We really had hoped he could get in about 3.5 - 5 more years of work before retiring. PLEASE continue to pray...

I only got a couple of hours sleep night before last, and 4 last night... I am trying hard not to worry for the Lord says that will not change anything, but it is super hard! I have fallen apart more than once already - and it probably won't be the last time! Pray that we have wisdom and clarity to see the steps that we need to take to be as ready as we can be for January... I can't even think straight -(lack of sleep no doubt) and I REALLY need to be able to think of viable options clearly.

To know that i have friends who are sincerely lifting my family up in prayer means more to me than I can express. I selfishly ask that you continue them!

Thank you! I love you all!
Genna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9335624

We will continue here!!! That really doesn't sound right on how they figure seniority!!

Genna there has been hard economic times lately for everyone. I know that doesn't make you feel any better but know that you aren't in this alone!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9335682

Genna, we will continue to pray for something to change with regard to this situation. It doesn't sound right in how they figure seniority!

Times have definitely been hard for many. I hope you'll find some peace (and some sleep!) and know that there are many of us praying for you that you'll come through this. Aren't you proud of your kids for having those scholarships?!! Let's all pray Leigh finds another job to transfer into!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 17, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9335836

Genna, it is looking very serious on the job situation all over the US. I would have though AT&T would not have to worry as big a company as they are. God is called Jehoviah Jireh , God, our provider, and He will provide for you !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9335862

Like others have said things are dire all over. Lots of people having to make lots of changes. But you never know what door is going to be opened next. Often one door closes and suddenly another door opens. God does provide!
My son used to work for AT&T. They spun his entire division off several years ago in a cost savings adjustment. Several thousand people. He still has his same job and does the same thing and is in the same office but actually works for an Israel company that contracts with AT&T. From what I understand AT&T's business is shrinking like so many others. Few young people have land lines anymore. More and more just use cell phones.
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 19, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9337387

Yeah, that is the problem with Leigh's job... his job is directly tied to land line phones. Although SOME of his lines involve back up type lines for critical cell communication - most have nothing to do with cells. Trying to find something he can swap into, and find out more about different options. They sent him a packet - it is over 80 pages long and looks like a congressional document in that it is filled with all kinds of legal jargon, and they might refer to a term on page 26 that might not be defined until page 57??? Apparently they still employ plenty of lawyers because it took a bunch of them to write something like this! ^_^

And, Leigh's CO where he worked was just "re-districted" at the end of August... and he him and the other guy in the CO were put under another boss. There were at least 2 people in the old 'district' under his former boss with less seniority. With what we understand he can bump anyone with less seniority that him IN HIS DISTRICT... so, now he apparently is the lowest man on the totem pole for the entire district, but that is impossible to know for sure since most of the people in the district are people he doesn't know. Just trying hard to remain positive and pro active...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9337497

My dad went through some of this with American Oil in El Dorado. They closed the entire refinery but gave those that wanted to remain with the company the option of transferring to another location which meant having to move out of state. My dad did not want to lose his benefits and the pay level he had with AMCO. He was 52 at the time. So he chose to transfer. He ended up at the Texas City refinery. They lived about 20 or so miles away in Dickinson (just south of Houston). It turned out to be a very good move for them although they didn't think so at the beginning.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9337576

How is Kyle doing?
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 20, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9337955

Kyle is doing pretty good - he is having some pain, but ironically most of his pain is coming from his shoulder. I think it is because of the position they put them in during surgery, but this morning he says it is hurting worse than yesterday which is not good. I have a call into the dr office - but doubt there is anything they can do about the shoulder. I might see if i can get him into the chiropractor and see if it is out of place. He says he feels like it is dislocated! I don't know WHY they always put your arms and shoulders in such weird positions during surgery! I always have problems with mine afterward too...
He has been on pain medicine of course since we came home from the hospital, but he seems to be doing fairly well except for the shoulder issue. The Dr said he can do whatever he wants after a week as long as it doesn't hurt. Sure a lot faster heal time than the traditional method for sure!

Yeah, Charlotte, he may have to move - the problem is trying to find a place to move where I can also change jobs too. Not an easy task - especially in today's economy. I HOPE we know a lot more once he go thru the phone conference with HR next week. from what we understand there will be multiple people on the call, so I am not sure how helpful that will be - but I am hoping they give more info. Leigh's former boss said he thought everyone got a severance package - a lump sum payment... but then there is a WIDE range in the figures he threw out and he doesn't know who gets what or why... then there was something in his book that indicated that the package if awarded might be paid out over 24 months? Who knows. It is SO confusing... and about the ONLY thing this book is clear on is that IF YOU DON'T do this correctly, it will be deemed that you QUIT the company instead of an involuntary severance... and he won't even be eligible for unemployment! PLEASE continue to pray that God will give us wisdom and understanding to make the right decisions and obtain all the facts. The way we understand the book also - he can chose up to 5 towns across the country for relocation...but they have blocked his access to the job listings so there is NO way for him to know WHICH towns across the country have jobs open! He can't just say - "I am willing to move anywhere" or "I am willing to move to Texas". HE has to PICK the right town out of thousands with AT&T employees... stressful to say the least!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9337989

I'm glad that Kyle is doing so well with the surgery! Sorry to hear about the shoulder!

Wait, Genna, they have blocked him from being able to obtain job listings? Why? This doesn't sound right!!!! Yall may need to go talk to someone in PR. This doesn't make sense to me!!! This is his paycheck!! Is he in a union?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9338080

Companies of that size always provide a serverance package. It is normally based on years of service. My son did not lose his job but was transferred to a different co. He went with the same seniority, benefits and pay. AT&T had a pension plan and the new co did not. I believe there was some adjustment to the match to their 401k because of that. He did receive all the money that was in his ension account and he was able to roll it into his 401k. You do have to follow their procedures exactly

With my dad he was guaranteed a job if he would relocate but it could have been anywhere in the USA. He was able to name the cities that were his top 3 preferences but not guaranteed he would be transferred to one of them. He got lucky and got one of his 3 choices.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9338081

So glad Kyle is through the surgery ok. Sorry about the shoulder and hope, since he's young, it will feel better in a couple of days too.

Genna, it almost sounds like you need a lawyer present when he has these 'conversations' on the phone!! More of protection for yourself/Leigh than anything. Good grief, things used to be so simple and straightforward. Now companies are so afraid they will be sued, they can't be open to anything. This doesn't sound right that he can't even view available jobs?! I'm with Jeri. I wouldn't say 'yes' to anything until you have a complete understanding of what you're signing up for. Including the fine print.

Good luck!
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 20, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9338141

Kyle has done some googling and it seems a lot of people have shoulder pain from gall bladder surgery. I have had problems with my shoulders several times after surgery, so I just assumed it was from the position they put him in - but he says on line he has found several sources saying it is common because of the location of the gall bladder...not sure why. A type of deferred pain so to speak. It was still hurting him really bad at lunch - dr office called me back while I was in the house and didn't have signal. :( Will have to call them again since I called them at 8:15 this morning...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 20, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9338555

Judy just called me sobbing, she had just found out her sister has colon cancer and they will do surgery on her at 8am. She was very upset and asked that I asked all of you to pray for her, her name is Frances
Jeri, she got your card yesterday, she called me last night and told me to tell you that you made her cry !
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9338557

Hey everyone. Haven't posted in a while but want you all to know I am thinking of you. So sorry to hear such sad news. Genna I know you worry but things will work out. Not always the way we want it to but God has a plan. I always admired Sandra when Jerry got laid off because her faith never failed her. I only wish I were such a strong warrior.

I have some good news to share. My son Josh was awarded the Title "Young Engineer of the Year" of the state Of Louisiana. We are very proud of his accomplishments but more proud of him as a family man. He is a really good husband and father. When we are at the camp he takes his whole family out hunting on the stand with him. He has two girls, 6 and 2 and a 4 yr old boy. I admire that his family time is important to him.

I have been busy redoing my small office into a bedroom for the granddaughters on their nights over. Since I have also 3 grandsons the other bedroom was getting a bit cramped for them all. I found some old odd furniture pieces and refinished them for a girly room. I am certainly not as young as I used to be. It took me about 2 months total to get it all rebuilt and refinished. Long gone are the days I would stay up all night working to get it done. I'm lucky now if I can work 4 or 5 hours at a really slow pace before giving out. Oh why does the mind not grow as old as the body? I still think I can do it all in my mind.

I hope you all have a Wonderful Thanksgiving doing whatever it is you wish to do, whether it is with family, friends or just quite solitude. We will have Thanksgiving at the camp with several other families.

the first pic is the bed before I added trim and painted it. The nightstand was plain before too. It all turned out pretty good after I painted it 3 times because I didn't like the effect, first time was distressed, second was antiqued white. Finally ended up with an off white with gold accents.

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9338561

Oh Sandra we cross posted so sorry to hear that. Please let Judy know we are all thinking of her.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 20, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9338569

I will Cindy, I was going to text you a Happy Thanksgiving, so happy to see you posting here again, seems sometimes we only have bad news to share, but I miss the ones who don't post as much anymore.

My faith is my life. I could not even draw a breath without the air that my God provides for me everyday. It was a very lean time in our lives, but I never lost one pound--we always had our needs, and truth be told we had most of our wants too. God has blessed us richly and I am very thankful for His Blessings !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9338743

Cindy so good to see you posting! Your furniture turned out so pretty! I know the girls are really enjoying it.
I know you are so proud of your son!!! But like you said the most important thing is what a good family man he is. He has his priorities right - God, family, job!

I also very strongly feel that God has a plan. His plan is not always our plan! But I've found over the years that he has reasons for his plan that we don't always see to begin with but see what he was doing as time goes on. We just have to put our faith in God and know he will take care of us.

I ended up in LR because my ex-husband lost his in job in a layoff where he worked. He had to expand his job search outside El Dorado and ended up getting a job in Jacksonville. We had just built a house in El Dorado and I had a good job that I really liked. But it all worked out actually for the best! God knew what he was doing. I could go on and on about how he has planned my life. A lot of times I thought God what are you doing??? But he had his reasons!

Sandra so sorry to hear about Judy's sister! I know Judy must be thinking now - God what are you doing?

This message was edited Nov 20, 2012 11:10 PM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9338751

I'm also a firm believer in "That he doesn't give us, more than we can bear." That thought gives me comfort as I'm facing a new trial in life. That and I thank my grandmother constantly for making sure that I know my friend, Jesus.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9338930

Such wonderful testimony from everyone today. We truly have a lot to be thankful for don't we?.

Early on in my life when I felt down and somewhat kicked to the curb, job-wise, because 'men should have those higher paying jobs' (ha!) and made the decision to get my engineering degree, I often wonder why it took such a smack in the head to do that. I guess, like everyone has said, it took the realization that God had his plan for me too that included family first and job next, lol! As someone put it recently, when one door closes, another opens, but sometimes it's heXX in the hallway. We sure feel like that sometimes, but hopefully that time in the hallway is short and often meaningful in ways we don't realize until later.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9338973

Elaine that time in the hallway is when our character is forged by fire and our faith strengthened. You are right we ALL have so much to be thankful for!!!

Prayers still going up for Kyle and Judy and all of NY, NJ and anywhere else damaged by Sandy.

Let the cooking begin!!! I'm doing my cornbread this AM. Hope everyone has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9339812

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 22, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9339841

Cindy, so good to see you posting!! We have missed you! Looks like you have been busy as usual - the bedroom set is beautiful! You transformed it for sure!

Sandra, so sorry to hear about Judy's sister... I know she is devastated and scared. May God wrap His loving arms around her and give her strength!

There is a family here in our small community who had a daughter who was born with Spinal bifida...the drs told them she wouldn't live past 3, would never walk, wouldn't go to school, etc. Well she defied the odds and did walk, did go to school, and was even employed at the school... she died Monday morning at 29. She was such a light to our community. I have known her since she was 2 yrs old and i have NEVER seen her when she wasn't smiling! She would light up a room ALL the time! Her name was Melanie, and they buried her yesterday. The rest of this family's story is that their 'healthy' child, Wayne, was injured in a 3 wheeler accident at the age of 19. For the past 11 yrs he has been mostly a vegetable... and he passed away about 2 months ago. So they have buried both of their children in two months!! Their family name is Greer - and I am sure they would welcome extra prayers.

I have a strong faith forged in that Hallway as well... and I try very hard not to worry. I will be honest and say that sometimes the worry is overwhelming, and sometimes I am calm. I just need to get some more info and be able to map out a game plan - as I do much better when I am proactive and feel like I am doing my part to handle it how God wants me to. Not sure if that makes sense, but I compare it to filling out every scholarship application we could find - YES, I believed that God could provide for their education, but I felt like I needed to do my part and not just sit on my laurels and expect it to fall from the sky! I will do the same with this task... do my best to follow His lead and do what I need to do. Right now, I just don't think we have enough info to KNOW what that will be. Hopefully, the meeting next week will provide us more information.

Kyle is doing better finally, although he was having problems again this morning with his diaphragm wanting to cramp again. Some of you know from FB that we had to take him back to the ER on Tuesday afternoon because his diaphragm was cramping and he didn't feel like he could breathe. They gave him toradol, demerol and phenegrin, valium and potassium before they eventually got it to let up! Then he was out for the night!! He ate supper, but said he could barely remember it the next day and it seemed more like a dream. :) Hopefully, he will continue to improve everyday and will be back to normal soon! Thank you so much for all your prayers! I sincerely appreciate them!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! We are blessed beyond measure in this country - even with our 'problems'... and I am so thankful that God allowed me to be born and raised here, and has blessed me with such a wonderful family and such an awesome group of friends! I love each of you like family! Have a great day!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 22, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9339871

Genna, as the old saying goes if everyone put their problems in a pile that we could see, we would probably go back and pick up our own, how trivial things seem when thinking about the family that lost both their children in so short a time. What courage Melanie showed, living the life that God gave her !
We could all learn a lesson from her life, and enjoy the life God gives us !

Love and God's Blessings wished for you all !

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 22, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9339873

Forgot to tell you about Judy's sister, Frances-they took an apple sized tumor from her colon, gave her a colostomy, when she recovers some from this surgery they will look for other cancers, this was considered an emergency surgery as she was completely blocked up. She was doing as well as expected when I talked to Judy yesterday afternoon

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9339890

Happy Thanksgiving!! Hope Yall have a wonderful day!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9339919

Sandra what I've always said is "when you think you have problems you don't have to look far to find someone that has problems far greater than yours". Whether it be health, job, etc I try to remind myself of that from time to time.

Technology is a great thing but it has drastically changed how companies do business. While it may not seem fair companies have to make decisions that benefit the stockholder and their bottom line and not necessarily the employee.

I was reading my son's resume that he has on Linked the other day and one of the things he had on the list was - developed a system that eliminated 200 jobs resulting in a cost savings of... I don't have it worded exactly right but you get the gist!

gen2026
Camden, AR

November 22, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9340138

You are so right Sandra... every day problems are so trivial compared to that family's grief. Then I read on line about the 100 car pile up in Texas today... praying for those families as I know that many of them were traveling for the holiday.

We went to my sister's today for Thanksgiving - and I didn't have to do ANY cooking! Made coffee this morning and that was it! ...

Headed out to do some Black Friday shopping on Thursday... guess we will finish up mid morning and then head home. Crazy that they have moved it to Thursday evening... kinda makes the schedule weird for those of us who live outside of LR. But we will have fun and enjoy each other's company... that is the main reason we go, and maybe get some bargains in the process. :)

Cindy, meant to congratulate you for your son's award. that sounds like a major honor! Congrats to you all!

I did get a little more mulch out this morning... slowly making process. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9340175

Cindy wonderful to see you posting!!! Love the furniture. It is totally awesome!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9340223

I have a funny story (at least it's funny to me) about one of my 16 year old twin grandsons. He told his mom he had to take something for band. He decided he was going to take meatloaf. He got a recipe, went to the store and bought all the ingredients and made it himself. His parents assumed they were having potluck and he was taking meatloaf. Well it turned out one of the girls was putting together goody bags for everyone and everyone was bringing something for the goody bag. They were bringing things like cookies, etc. Leave it to Justin to come up with meatloaf!! He just marches to his own drummer!! You would have to know him to really appreciate it but I've been laughing every since my son told me!

Another question. Do kids around your area have their wisdom teeth automatically taken out when they are 16? Both of them are having their wisdom teeth taken out Jan 3. Their older brother also had his out at 16. My son was saying it will cost 1,500 for each boy and the insurance only pays 500.00 so it will cost him 2,000.00 for them to have their wisdom teeth out. Sounds like a racket to me!! But maybe they do that everywhere now??

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 23, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9340750

All 7 grandkids were here today !

Thumbnail by slcdms

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9340755

Absolutely love the photo!!! You and Jerry look great and WOW have the kids ALL grown!! I never realized so many had red hair just seeing pictures of them here or there but with them all together it's really noticeable!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 23, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9340758

This one is a little better, Hardin is looking at the camera

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 23, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9340764

Jerry and I both were worn out, we had 40 last night at the fellowship hall and Molly and Ashe spent the night with us last night, then today we were all here except Heathers and Susan's hubbies.

Faith and Eli are the only true red heads, I have a yellow cast on pictures in our living room from the lamps, I always forget to turn them out before we make pictures. Justin is crawling now and he was so sweet trying to love on Eli

Thumbnail by slcdms

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9340777

Thanks for posting the pictures Sandra! It is fun to see all your grandkids together. Good looking group! Eli and Hardin will really have a good time together when they get a little older.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9340791

You shouldn't have any trouble sleeping tonight. I was like that last night.

Ashley has gone to spend the night with her dad at his new house that he has had since July. This is the 1st time they have invited her to come. I pray that he behaves himself and they have a good time. They are going to his mom's tomorrow.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 23, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9340840

I hope I sleep good, I didn't last night my legs cramped and hurt all night it was 1am before I was easy enough to go to sleep !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9341012

Jim found some Legatrim at Walmart and took 2 the other night. He wanted to sleep through Thanksgiving, but he said the leg cramps stopped.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9341481

slcdms, love those grand children.
I have 1 grandaughter who is 20 and 1 grandson who is 4 months. How fortunate you are!!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9341496

Hello plantsforpeg. I live not to far from you. Welcome to Mid South Forum.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 24, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9341573

Yes, Peg, I do feel very blessed, I had a Grandmother who I loved as much as I loved my own Mamma and I hope they all love me half as much as I loved her !

Went to see Pat today, we had a good visit, I am bringing her into the 2000's. I got her a 7" Internet tablet and downloaded the Kindle app, Nook app and Playbook was on it, it is an android operating system, also put some games on it that would work off line as she has no Internet. She used to stay busy quilting and crocheting, but she has so much arthritis in her hands now, it hurts too much, so she has taken up reading. She keeps running out of books, so I had over 300 downloaded on it with the promise of many more when she reads all of them. Most of them are free ones, I have been getting myself. She surprised me and went right to learning how to use it. I have had it about a month getting everything downloaded for her. Her birthday is Dec. 5 and she will be 65. I told her it was her birthday and Christmas together !
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9341615

Sandra the pictures are great! So good to see all your grandchildren!! Eli is growing so much! I'm sure you were all worn out.

For the first time in a long long time, we didn't have all of ours this year. One son and his family went to the beach. Our other son celebrated with his family on Thanksgiving day. My brother and SIL hosted the Thanksgiving meal so we went to their house. My daughter was there, but her daughter and her Dad went to Kansas City to visit his son So I guess we'll get everybody for Christmas, lol. My other brother and his family came up from Montgomery. His daughter, my niece, and her new husband announced that they are expecting next June, so that was exciting to hear. I figured they wouldn't wait long to have kids because they both talked about wanting to start a family right after they got married.

Charlotte, the story about your grandson is so funny. I'll bet you'll all be telling that story for a long time!

Cindy, I haven't posted in several days, but I meant to say I love what you did with the furniture. It is quite a transformation and I know the girls will love it!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9341646

What Sandra didn't tell you is she discovered you can now post pictures on Daves from an ipad. I also tried it with my iphone and it also worked. So we can now post pictures on Daves from an ipad and an iphone. I know Pat will enjoy her new "toy"!!

Yes Elaine, Justin is definitely not a follow the leader. He doesn't pay any attention to fads - wears what he wants - does what he wants. He has been that way since he was about 2 years old! He is not on FB and doesn't have any intentions of getting on it. Yet he is a very popular kid. Makes friends really easy and people always remember him. I asked my son if he had decided what he was going to major in in college (his brother has already decided). My son said if Justin knew he was telling. That it would probably be some very obscure profession you've never heard of and that he would do extremely well at it. So as usual if every one was taking cookies, he took meatloaf!

It seems that as the kids in a family get older and go different directions it's hard to get the whole family together at one time.

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9342201

well we are home from the camp. 5 wonderful days with both sons and their families. We are all tired and ready to be home again. Connor shot a big eight point. I took Ella out hunting with me and she missed a big eight point. I was proud of her for shooting and not choking. They are both 6. Luke the 9 year old choked the first afternoon on an eight point. We made wonderful memories together. Boy was it cold this morn. It was 19 degrees and the electricity had gone offaround 6am. It didn't take long for the trailer to lose it's heat. We are total electric. I went down to the big camp and got a couple loads of firewood. We do have a fireplace but no wood cut for it. It wasn't long before we were all warm again. Jimbo's been looking for a large generator like we have here at the house but hasn't been able to find one reasonably priced. He wants one that will run everything in the trailer. It is about 2100 square feet so it will need to be a large one. I imagine he will be hunting a little harder now.

Thank all of you for the nice compliments on the furniture and my son. Yes it is a big deal here in La. He didn't tell us he got the award though. His boss who knows how he is called to tell us he was named and it was a big deal. He will go to Lafayette in Jan for the awards ceremony.

Genna thinking of that family and their losses.. What a wonderful thing to live to 29 with such a tremendous handicap. . My son who had spinal bifida only lived to be 2.

Charlotte my youngest Josh always marched to the beat of a different drum too. Sometimes it was trying to be his mother though. LOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 25, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9342264

You are right Cindy, it was a blessing to have her for 29 years - and she was a positive influence to SOOO many people! Probably did more in her 29 years to influence people than a lot of people do with 70 or 80 years! Sorry to hear that you lost a child to SB...i didn't know about that. Hugs to you!

Kyle and I had to go BACK to the ER again last night. He had surgery on Monday, and we went back Tuesday afternoon with what we think is his diaphragm cramping or spasming... the Dr agreed that was probably what it was. He changed his pain meds just in case we needed something stronger - and he took one that Tuesday night at bedtime... hasn't had any more problems until 1 am this morning! He work me up saying he was hurting really bad and he was cramping so bad he couldn't stand up straight. I fixed him a packet of ecodrink - which is a powder that contains electrolytes and vitamins that you mix in water... I knew it contained potassium and magnesium and I was hoping it would relax that spasms. He also ate a banana. We seemed to get it under control and we went back to bed - only to have him wake up out of a dead sleep at 3:00 with spasms again! We repeated the process, but also tried to call the dr who did the surgery. Of course, he wasn't on call for the clinic last night - only a nurse. She called us back about 3:30 and didn't have any idea what was going on so she sent us back to the ER. He had another bad round of spasms while they were checking him in - then didn't have anymore. Kyle and I were in the ER until 9 this morning... They checked his bloodwork which was normal, they did an EKG which was normal, and did a CT scan of his chest checking for possible blood clots from the surgery - but said it was normal too thank goodness. The only thing they see is an airpocket under the diaphragm from the gas they use during surgery. The ER doc said there was nothing that could be done for it - that the gas would just have to be absorbed, but then wanted him to stay home from school until we could see the surgeon again. We opted to send him to school - he rode back with Jessica- because he has an anatomy test tomorrow, a spanish test on Wednesday, and a chemistry test on Friday. I sent him to school with a stack of bananas, a bottle of potassium pills, and about 10 packets of ecodrink. He has orders (from Dr Mom) to take two potassium pills when he gets to school, and two before he goes to bed, and to also eat two bananas during the evening. I am praying that he doesn't experience an episode like he has been having or he will be in trouble. I will call the surgeon's office as soon as they open in the morning.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 25, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9342294

Cindy, you need a vacation to get over your vacation? LOL. Jerry said he needed to go back to work to get some rest from all the actitivies, but he worked Sat and today and has changed his mind again !

Josh deserves to win, he has worked very hard to get where he is, I hope it comes with a big pay raise too since he has those 3 kids !
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9342518

Genna sorry to hear Kyle has had so many complications. Our first child was an definitely an Angel on Earth. I was blessed. Jamie would have been 43 in Oct.

This is a photo of Connor and his 8 point. He spends a good deal of time shooting his BB gun and it paid off. His dad handed him a rifle when this deer came out and he made a perfect shot on it. Brandon was so proud of him. Conner wasn't too keen on the bloodying part of getting your first deer though.

This message was edited Nov 25, 2012 10:28 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9342555

We just got through having a birthday party here for Richard's granddaughter. She was 9 yesterday.

Cindy I didn't know you had a son that had died at 2 either. I know that's something that stays with you forever!

Yes I know what you mean about it being trying as a mother. I don't know how many times I've heard Kristi say "is that what you're going to wear?", "you did what"! They are blessed! They are all good kids and they have given Justin space to do his own thing. Even through I hated to see him grow up and go away I always enjoyed watching Jeff become his own person (and still do).

Conner is so cute!! The blooding part I wouldn't be too keen on also!

Genna hope Kyle gets back to his normal self soon!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 25, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9342587

Genna I am sorry also for all the problems that Kyle is having? Did they suggest that he try walking? That helped Jim after a surgery.

Cindy I know that you and Jimbo are so proud of your son for his award!!! Tell Conner that I threw up when they did that to me and all they did was mark my face with the blood and tore my shirt. I've seen them be really mean to some of the guys.

I've caught a cold somehow. Tomorrow is Ashley's appointment back with the gastrologist I sure hope I'm able to take her. I feel awful right now.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9342612

Jeri hope you get over your cold soon!!

I just ordered my second Christmas present!! Love on line Christmas shopping!! I have my list from Kristi and Jake. Already have Sarah's list and have it ordered! They all know they better get me a list and a link if they want a present!!! LOL I don't go in stores during December unless absolutely necessary!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 26, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9342721

Charlotte, I have all my shopping done. I am only buying for the grands this year, we are going to do a 20 dollar dirty Santa with the adult kids this time. I still have to get those gifts for Jerry and I but have the hard stuff done ! I bought a few things at Toys R Us about a month ago, but I ordered most of my stuff too. I am looking forward to Eli being able to sit up in the shopping cart so I can go back to shopping through the week, going shopping on the week end is the pits!

Genna, maybe the gas bubble will go away with more movement when he gets to school today and all that will be over !
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9342730

Connor is so cute with his big 8-pointer! That is awesome that y'all have taught the kids to hunt! None of ours have had that opportunity, although our oldest grandson (13) has been clay target shooting with his shotgun and target shooting (pistol) for several years now and he is good at it. I would love for the girls to give it a try. It's a lot of fun and I think they would like it if they would just try it, and PawPaw would love to teach them.

Genna, I hope Kyle does ok now that he's back at school. Sorry he's had such a bad time. And Cindy, I meant to also offer a congratulations to Josh for being named Young Engineer of the year for the state! That is huge and I know y'all are proud!

Shopping - Ugh! I need to get mine done, but I have no idea on my sons and DIL's yet. They haven't given me a clue and I need to finish those and I'll be about done. DD has lost weight with all the exercise she's done so she's wanting a gift card so she can shop for new clothes. Suits me. We shopped together yesterday for about 3 hours, which we haven't had time to do in a long time, and really had fun. She was shopping for a couple of things for her daughter and also for something to wear to a hospital Christmas party. I enjoyed being with her and it was a beautiful day to be wandering around the shopping area. I'll probably be doing the rest on-line like you Charlotte.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9342760

Sandra I think that's smart. To me Christmas is for kids anyway. We don't have that many adults or kids so it's not too much for me to do for both. But my son and his family started drawing names several years ago. A good tradition to get started early I think. The kids used to buy each other a present and also something for their mother and dad. So each person was buying 4 presents and of course mom and dad were giving them the money to shop. Nothing expense but it still added up. So they decided to draw names (parents names are included) and put a dollar limit on the gift. It has worked much better for them. They have fun trying to keep the name they got a secret. They also have fun looking for that one special gift and put a lot of thought into it. So when they get married and the family starts expanding they will already have that tradition in place.

I ask for the list for two reasons. I don't like buying something just for the sake of buying a gift and it be something they really don't want.. I usually buy a pretty nice gift and I want it to be something they really want and not just something I think they would like. So they know that if there is something they would probably not just buy for themselves they can ask for it at Christmas.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

November 26, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9343433

I am ahead on my gift purchasing this year. This is not normal for me. I still need small gift to open for the adults and Luke's big gift. I have nothing for my husband but that is nothing unusual. If he wants something he buys it. It's extremely hard to come up with something for him. I don 't usually have anything I want but this year I do. I am going to Disney World's 20th anniversary tour of the gardens this spring. That trip is my Christmas and Mothers Day. I am also looking at getting another chocolate Lab. Hank has been gone I think 7 yrs so I am ready for another companion. I think I am going to get a female this time so I won't be comparing her to him .maybe even breed a litter or 2. I hate getting a new pup in the winter but that's really the best timing for a hunting dog. Josh's MIL just had a litter of 10 with good hunting bloodlines and easy dispositions. They will be ready at Christmas.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9343451

I got one more gift out of the way tonight (on the computer - just love it!).

Cindy what fun you're going to have on your trip to the gardens!!
Maybe I'll get to see some gardens when I'm in San Francisco for Christmas. They know I like gardens and are good to try to take me to one if there is something near someplace we are going. We went to the Japanese Gardens and the tea house last year.

I really like female dogs. We already had a female Maltese when we decided to get another one. My vet suggested we get a male as he said they would get along better. I love little Charlie but he is bad to want to mark his territory! From what I've read small dogs are worse about it than bigger dogs.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9343633

Cindy, you will love Disney World's flowers, and I'll bet they do something spectacular for the 20th anniversary! We happened to be there with the grandkids during the flower show a few years back and it was spectacular. I think I took at least as many photos of the flower displays as of the kids, lol! There was also a butterfly house in Epcot I think. I don't remember a tour, but didn't really investigate that either.

We had a female chocolate and now have a male. They have both been great dogs, but we don't hunt with either. We got the male when he was about a year old. We think he was supposed to be a gun dog but was dropped off because he didn't work out. He's a wee bit gun shy but we've shot around him and he's ok after a while. He loves to retrieve balls, but doesn't give back easily. A great big old sweet pleaser of a dog though. And so was our female.

We do the same with our grands Charlotte...ask them what they really want (or need) and between us and the parents and other grandparents, we get them what they have asked for rather than try to guess.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 27, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9343639

I already have my Christmas gift too, Jerry got me one of those leaf blower/vacuum/ mulcher things that I wanted. He took off early one afternoon to get the car serviced and brought it home. My back has not felt up to using it yet, but Cayla played with it one afternoon and it does a great job. I hope to feel like using it this coming Sat since we actually have no plans for this week end !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9343649

I'm it as far as grandparents go! So I try to do as much for them as I can. Kristi's mother died when Jake (oldest grandson) was a week old. Her dad died about 7 years ago and my ex-husband died this past spring. So I'm it!

My neighbor across the street has a lab he has trained as a hunting dog. He got it when it was just a small puppy. He really works with that dog. When the dog was a puppy he would come home every day a noon and let the dog out and work with him some. He still comes home a lot at noon. He takes the dog out in the street and has rubber ducks he has him retrieve. He uses a whistle and he has to stop and start according to when he blows the whistle. CJ is his name and if he is supposed to sit, he sits and doesn't move! He'll stop dead in his tracks if he blows the whistle to stop! We do live on a cul de sac!!! So there is not any traffic! He will not leave their yard. He got out of the backyard somehow some time back. I noticed he was out and was watching him. I called to let them know he was out and his mother came over to put him back up. But he never left their yard!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9343652

We did a cross post Sandra. Those vacuum blower things are great. My front yard is so small I just use the lawn mover with the bagger on it. I don't worry about the back yard. Whatever falls stays! I do have a bumper crop of pine needles this year for some reason. I will just rake them off the walkways and put in the beds.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9343653

Sandra you will have to let us know how you like it. I always wanted one of those stand up can type mulchers but always heard more cons than pros.

Elaine I don't think it is an organized tour just demos and talks that you have to make reservations for in advance. My DIL Rebecca is organizing it all so I don't even know what we are doing. I told her to just surprise me. Her mother is also going. I am really looking forward to it.

Charlotte I would think there were really some beautiful gardens in CA.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9343661

Cindy I know you all are going to have so much fun!!! I love those kind of trips where someone else plans and organizes things! That's one of the things I enjoy about traveling with Jeff and Kristi. She does all the planning, etc and I just show up!!
Yes there are some pretty gardens in CA. The prettiest one I've been to is the rose garden in San Jose. They took me to it a couple of years ago and it's spectacular!! I've never seen roses like those before. I think it must be the perfect climate. I also enjoy just walking around their neighborhood looking at yards. There are so many things that grow year round there.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9343979

Well Audrey and I went out to Ashley's mom's house this morning and picked out a female pup. Kinda hard to tell much since all are chocolate and not up doing much yet. Can't wait till later though because they are almost all sold. One guy called from Hawaii last night and reserved a pup and one is sold to a girl who lives in Florida. I think she has 3 females left including mine so I told her until someone buys the other 2 just keep watching them and choose which one she thinks has the best personality. They have the shorter beaver type tail which is excellent standard. Hank had a longer thick tail and he could be deadly with that thing. All of them have great confirmation so there is not much difference in the pups at this stage. The female I picked out had a really nice head but they probably all will look the same as they grow. My needs are more in the personality dept. I like a laid back but happy lab. Both mom and pop are that way so hopefully the pups will be too. They are already used to little kids so that is a plus. I will get her around the 14th so she will have time to get used to us before being around everybody at once at the camp. Good thing though with it being my grands other grandparents pups they will have been around them some already. I forgot to take a pic and Ashley's mom does not text or computer so will have to wait till I get her..

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9344022

How exciting Cindy!! A new pup is always such fun! I can just see the two of you out working in your gardens. I'm like you, personality is what's important to me.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9344186

Cindy you are gonna have so much fun at Disney. LOL!! I mean gardens. That is quite an opportunity and I've wanted to make it one year but can't get away from the kids.

I like Labs also!!! Lucky is just a mutt but we couldn't love her more since she has gotten older. She's gun shy also!!! Other than weighing so much and being so big, she wants to be a lap dog. The 1st year she would sit by my chair and wanted to hold hands constantly.

I have almost wore my nose out blowing it from this head cold. Could not even get into the Drs. office. TG he called in a z-pac yesterday and I am feeling better after getting the 3rd pill down. The COUGH has set in and my body aches.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 27, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9344228

Poor Jeri, hope you feel better soon ! It is that time of year to spread the love and "germs" ! Get all those people together and someonE will always be sick.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9344292

I know. Mine was mostly sinus and I have tried to stay away from everybody. TG!! I can kinda breath and my ears are only popping 1/2 as much.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9344296

Hope you have a very restful night Jeri and wake up to a clear head and chest tomorrow.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9344393

Jeri hope you are better soon! A cold can really make you feel bad! Knock on wood - I haven't had a cold in a long time. I have had itchy eyes. Seems I always have trouble with my eyes itching this time of year. That I can deal with! I have some pretty good eye drops.

Been on a roll tonight! I have two large lingerie type chests that need to be repainted. The original color is gold/yellow and needed a facelift! I finally got a primer all over both chests tonight. The rest should go must faster. It seems just getting started is the hardest part!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9344409

I know what you mean Charlotte about getting a project started. I have been working on another doll house . This one is for Audrey's Christmas. It is not a Victorian like the last one so should be quite sturdy for her to play with. I have also been building furniture from kits and from scratch. I lack one wall of wallpaper (ordered) to finish the house. I still need to make bedspreads and skirts but most of the big stuff is done. I can't wait to get everything in to see how it all comes together with the pictures on the walls, rugs, dishes etc.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 28, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9344524

That will be such a wonderful thing for Audry and it will last a lifetime. Do you remember Ann Marie? She does a lot of miniature things like doll houses and gardens.

Hope today finds you better Jeri, loved the video on FB !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9344528

Can't wait to see pictures of the doll house!! It is something Audrey will always treasure and remember that you made it for her. Something money can't buy!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9344644

No Sandra I don't remember Ann Marie but my hat is off to her. I would much rather refinish life size items than trying to do all this tedious stuff. This is my last one ever !!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9344656

I know Audrey is gonna spend many hours enjoying her doll house. I bought the Barbie house about 10 years ago for Ashley & Breanna. They enjoyed it for years and now Brooklyn & Peyton are having their turn.

I slept good until 3:30 AM and I was wide awake until 5:00 AM. I'm still in my PJ's now and that is unheard of, for me. I do feel better, just kinda limp if you know what I mean. No energy.

Sandra, Eli is so cute!!! I cried over that little video on FB and I hope everyone enjoyed it and it didn't offend anyone.
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 28, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9344793

Hello all... trying to catch up! Cindy, it sure sounds like you have been busy. Would love to see the pictures of the doll house. I know that is something she will treasure. I have never known anyone to actually make a doll house... how on earth do you get all the supplies for the tiny furniture, dishes, etc?? I guess there are sources - just never thought about it.

Jeri, hope you u are feeling better! Alex came down with a stomach virus on Sunday night and was sick thru last night... thankfully he was some better yesterday because he had a test at 1! He said he made it thru it but just barely...said it wasn't pretty! But he had been so sick and wasn't able to really study well because he was sick at his stomach and had a really horrible headache that he couldn't get rid of! Not very conducive to studying or test taking. I hate this time of year when everyone is trapped inside and sick !! I try hard to avoid everyone that is sick - and I told him to get a bottle of lysol and USE it ! :)

Well, we thought Leigh would have a lot more info today on his job situation because he had his "meeting" on the phone with human resources... it was a conference call and all they did was read the packet to them that they had already sent. Leigh said they did answer a few questions but not very many! Oh well, there is a possibility of him swapping jobs with a guy who is wanting to go out early on unemployment. Please say a prayer for us as we check this option out... I am trying so hard to remain calm! It isn't just the income, which is a substantial part of our household of course, but also the health insurance issues, the 2500 scholarship that Jess has from AT&T etc... when they all start piling up it is pretty scary for me, but i am trying hard to stay calm and focused!

I have a gardening question for you all... On Thanksgiving day I found a HUGE mound in my foundation planting that I have been working on. Leigh thinks it is moles - but I wasn't sure because it was SO big. It was probably 24" long X 16 - 18" wide and it was probably 8" tall !! Well, because it was Thanksigiving day and I saw it as I was leaving for my sisters house...I didn't get a chance to investigate what was underneath the mound. Then our new adopted dog dug up the mound the next day... so now I have a HOLE in my flower bed as large as the mound was. I am wondering if she dug up whatever creature was in there. I have had problems with gophers, but didn't know that I had ever had a mole problem. Is there any way that I can know what caused the mound?? and if the dog didn't get them...how do I get rid of it??

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9344956

It does sound like a mole, Genna. You'll know the dog didn't get it b/c there will be more mounds. I have no idea how to get rid of them.

I've taken it easy today and hope to be able to get back to my schedule tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers!! Yall are the best!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9345027

I don't know anything about holes in the yard. My critters all dig under my storage buildings or get under Richard's workshop. I have lattice covering all the opening under the workshop. A piece of it was loose so I screwed it all in really tight! The next day something had just torn one corner of it out!!! My neighbor has been setting traps in my yard trying to catch some ferral cats. He's caught 2 possums and one huge fat racoon so far in addition to 2 cats! I think I'm getting ready to start setting my own trap! The workshop is totally insulated - floor, walls and ceiling. Something has pulled some of the insulation down from the floor in the corner of the building they torn my lattice out of.

Genna if you had to can't you get family insurance coverage from AR Electric Coop. I would think they would have good coverage. I don't think many businesses have real live meetings any more. All the meetings my son has are via conference call. They all also do instant messaging. It's just how they communicate even when they are in the same building. I know it's hard not to worry but it will all work out.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 28, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9345044

You can also get help to pay for cobra coverage, we did that when Jerry was laid off, there is a program that pays 80% of it, or it was then
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 29, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9345553

We can get insurance coverage thru AECC but they have gone to a health savings account which basically translates to a very high deductible insurance coverage - the first 5,000 of expenses is on the insured. After that, they pay 90% up to a point, and then eventually pay at 100%. There is not a co-pay to go to the dr. - you pay the entire bill, or for the entire test or hospital stay. In the long run, you can actually save money with the HSA because they pay at 100% after a point and on co-pay insurance, the co-pay does not count towards max out of pocket and continues no matter what... but, on the front end, being responsible for that much out of pocket is pretty scary. IF you can go the first year or so and build up money in your HSA, then you have a cushion to fall back on if something happens. My boss, who happened to work his last day yesterday, (you can see me doing the happy dance) has been maxing out his HSA since AECC first started it 5 or 6 years ago, and he will use that money to pay medical premiums or medical bills in retirement.

Leigh's boss came down today and was optimistic about him being able to transfer - he is trying to help him find something. Your prayers seem to be helping - so PLEASE keep them coming!

Jeri, hope you are feeling better! How do I tell the Mole mounds from Gopher mounds?? anyone know? I know I have mounds every few feet apart all the time out in my yard, but I know at least some of those are caused by gophers because i have SEEN them! I was looking out the back window one day and had one pop up right outside my window and look straight at me... I am sure he really couldn't see me - but I felt like he was just laughing at me because he was messing up the yard! ^_^

Charlotte, sounds like you have a big something living in your shop! Hope you are able to eradicate it soon!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9346497

My cousin posted this on FB. Cindy thought you would get a kick out of it. The oldest Kate (8) has killed three deer this year. They are her grandchildren.

Both Kate and Sarah Margaret hunt with their dad, Justin, and have watched him kill deer and hogs and also helped process them. Last night they had steak for supper. Three year old Sarah asked if it was hog? No said Justin. Deer? No. What is it ? Beef said Justin. What is beef, asked Sarah. Cow, Justin told her. "Whoa!", says Sarah. "You shooted a cow?"

This message was edited Nov 30, 2012 6:29 PM
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9346875

Charlotte, that is hilarious! How did anyone keep from falling out of their chairs over that one??!!

Genna, we'll keep prayers coming from y'all. It sure sounds optimistic, and like Leigh's boss wants to keep him!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 1, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9347033

Thought I would show you my new toy Jerry got me for Christmas, I love it, it makes everything hurt, but not as much as using the rake and it also mulches. It is electric so it is not heavy, no pulling to start it, it is probably slower than raking, but you get the chopped up leaves too, which is the main reason I wanted it.

Thumbnail by slcdms

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9347557

You are gonna love this!!! You won't be able to move the next day if you do too much, but you will love the finished product.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9347569

That is nifty! That's why I use my lawn mover with a bagger to get the mulched leaves. But as you know I don't have a very big space in my front yard. That will be really good for getting leaves out of your bed in the spring!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

December 2, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9347717

Great gift, Sandra. You'll love that! You can just put the leaves back on the beds as you vacuum them up. Jerry did good!

Terrye

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 2, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9347732

Yes, he did do good ! I did not know such a thing existed and one day while I was in therapy with my arm a lady told me about buying one. I got up as easily as I ever do this morning, so no worse for the wear--LOL
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9347856

Sandra love your blower and I am glad you didn't hurt yourself.

Charlotte that was hilarious I told my family and they all laughed.!

Genna still keeping you and Leigh in our thoughts and prayers.

Well I am almost through with Audrey's dollhouse and it is only the 2nd of Dec Patting myself on the back LOL I am putting a link to some photos for those that would like to see it. The fourth photo show the mess and the Victorian dollhouse I got in an auction that was pretty badly unfinished and trashed that I have been restoring with paper, moulding, and real wood floors(in 2 rooms).
My house is a wreck with all the paint, wood, paper and junk. I hauled out Christmas decorations too so it kinda looks like a bomb went off.
https://picasaweb.google.com/111391199943857485774/AudreySDollhouse?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCO6pk5qKlffOKA&feat=directlink

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9348008

I am waaaaay behind here. Al and I went to Page, AZ over Thanksgiving to visit his brother and SIL who have a vacation home there. His sister and BIL were there, too. There were six adults and 5 dogs! LOL I took Laddy. Al's brother has two big dogs--an Alaskan husky and another really gentle dog who is actually part wolf. Al's sister has two Siberian huskies. Believe it or not, all of the dogs got along surprisingly well and we took them everywhere we went except the day we went to see Horseshoe Bend at the North end of the Grand Canyon.

I have been playing "catch-up" ever since we got home but the house is now decorated for Christmas so I can relax for a few days.

Sorry to hear about Kyle's difficulties and Jeri's cold. Hope they are both well soon.
Congrats to you Cindy on your son's achievement and also to you for that beautiful job on the furniture for the grands!
and for the doll house!!!
Charlotte, great story about "You shooted a cow?" ROFL
Sandra, good grief--that leaf thing is as big as you are! :0~ Enjoy it, though! :)

Al is giving me a pistol for my birthday next week and for Christmas. Believe it or not, it is what I asked for--and also for lessons on how to shoot it. LOL We live in the middle of the Ozark Mountains and although we do have a neighbor on either side, they are several hundred feet away and older than we are so if I ever needed to protect myself, God forbid, I would have to depend on myself if Al wasn't home. He has already talked to the local sheriff who advised him about the best type of pistol to get for me and also told him about a guy who is the best one to go to for a "right to carry" permit. My son can't believe that his mom is going to start packing a pistol soon! LOL

By the way, if any of you are on FB, you can see my vacation photos over there. There is some fantastic scenery in southern Utah as both Charlotte and Elaine can attest to and Jeri, too. I took over 700 pictures but I didn't post that many on FB. LOL

Somebody needs to start a December thread--hint, hint. :o)
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9348058

Marilyn I did see your photos on FB and they were beautful. Looks like Al is keeping you young.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9348059

NEW THREAD, NEW THREAD!!!!!!!!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289685/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America