-
AuthorContent
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9327627

I tried Jimmy Nardello and Giant Szegedi last year. Both tasted ok, not too productive, not as big as expected.
Any thoughts on a good sweet non-bell pepper either for eating raw or roasted?

I was considering Sweet Banana, Aconcagua or Quadrato d'Asti for next year, but am interested to hear what others think.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 8, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9327693

We use Bounty Banana from Tomato Growers Supply & Boris Banana from Totally Tomatoes & customers always rave about how good they are. Also produce tons of peppers.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9327695

Don,

"Critterologist", Jill Nicolaus, wrote an article here about non-bell sweets. It's in the Articles section of the "Guides & Information section. Here's a link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/630/

I have had great luck with the hybrids Carmen and Gypsy. Either one, when ripe, has a sweet delicious flavor to compete with any bell pepper. The green flavor isn't exactly the same as a bell, but still does nicely in a salad or cooked up.

David

Edited to add the link rather than just mention that the article exists.

This message was edited Nov 8, 2012 7:43 AM
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9327769

Jill's article is excellent. In general I find the non bells more productive than the regular bells, altho I don't have major problems with bells. It depends somewhat on your desired use. The frying peppers are the most productive, but many are not a good size and shape for stuffing. The old Melrose is one the more productive, but bull horn types like Italia are also productive and are large enough to stuff. Sweet Banana types are good for many purposes and are productive. Best alternative to traditional bells are the Cubanelle types. More productive than a traditional bell, but the elongated shape is not as desirable to many folks for stuffing.

This message was edited Nov 8, 2012 10:09 AM

Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9328392

I highly recommend Red Cheese and Sweet Yellow Stuffing, two open-pollinated varieties from Baker Creek. Excellent taste and great production. Neither are very large, though. Doux d' Espagne, also from Baker Creek, has good size, just not as productive. That seems to be the rule. You have to choose between either size or quantity.

This message was edited Nov 8, 2012 8:43 PM

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 4:23 PM
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9328636

Already I can see that I need more than one sweet non-bell type. I think I'll have to grow fewer bells and more of the one's you recommended. Thanks all, I've got them on my list!

Dave, Jill's article was just what I needed. I tried her suggested 'Carmen' (from a seed swap) several years ago, but it was a bad summer for lots of crops and probably wasn't a fair test. I'll have to try it again with commercial seed.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9330056

Don, the Quadrato d'asti also comes in Red but it's a Bell Pepper. I like how it tastes but it's not as productive as non-bells. I would recommend Marconi as a non bell. It's a little later to ripen but it can really produce. It is O/P and comes in red, yellow and purple, but can be used green, I get seeds from Baker Creek but I've seen them in many catalogs. They are frying peppers, like Farmerdill described above, but they are great fresh too. They are so productive that my plants normally need to be stalked.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9330223

1: (if I may use your nickname)
Thanks for the correction. I must have checked the wrong column in my spreadsheet for Q d'A. I think I'll have to make room for a banana (haven't decided which, yet), Carmen, and a Marconi pepper. I see that suppliers list both red, yellow and purple Marconis and also a Giant Marconi and Super Marconi so I'll have to check the differences between them. Which one do you recommend?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9331596

Jeez, you are so polite. You can call me whatever you want, just not to my face. Lol Lisa is fine, I THINK the Gaint and Super Marconis are hybrid but I'm not sure. I just grow the regular ones bc they are O/P. I don't have anything against hybrids I just have to stop somewhere. I also like them bc of the various colors they make cooking fun, and they look nice when used raw.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9343489

I grew five plants of Corno di Toro this year, and I thought they were great. They're a big, thick-walled, bulls-horn shaped non-bell and I allowed them to ripen red before picking. They were very productive and the flavor was the best we've had in salsas, for frying, and all uses.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9344625

lipstick pepper is a great tasting prolific pepper for me.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9641568

Just wanted to let you know how things turned out.
Sweet Banana was the most productive, tons of fruit on each plant.
Carmen had good looking (and tasting) peppers, but not very many of them.
I tried some others (Quadrato, Corno), but because of a problem with my seed growing medium, none made it to maturity. I'll try them again next year, and maybe the Baker Creek varieties also.
Thanks a lot for the recommendations.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9642870

Glad you had some good peppers. Hopefully you'll do even better next year.
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9644297

My absolute favorite is Red Cheese from Baker Creek (rareseeds.com).

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2014
1:03 PM

Post #9879224

Franchii offers many Italian sweet peppers including roasting and frying peppers. Several are "bull's-horn-shaped" or other non-Bell types.

http://www.growitalian.com/categories/Vegetables/Peppers/

e.g.
Pepper Marconi Rosso
Pepper Rosso Dolce Appendere
Pepper Dulce Italiano
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2014
3:33 PM

Post #9879388

Doux d' Espagne (Spanish Mammoth), Red Cheese, Giant Aconcagua, and Buran. Of these, Buran and Red Cheese are the sweetest. Fat n' Sassy is a bell that does well in our ridiculously hot summers, though.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2014 5:21 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America