Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: Garlic planting

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 117
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
urbanveggies412
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9328149

Hello all. I want to plant some garlic again this fall. Can anyone recommend a good and reasonably priced site with different varieties? Usually I just go to the local store and buy some and then plant them but it would be nice to have a different variety this year.

Thanks,
Jake

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9328165

I was looking online at several sites earlier today. All the garlic was sold out! It may be that the cloudiness and grocery is your only option.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9330327

www.groworganic.com still has some garlic varieties available. They are having a clearance sale on them, so some are sold out already (as of yesterday). www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com is another site where you might still find some. That one is set up like an online farmer's market, representing about 50 growers from all over the US. Garlic planting season in the north is pretty much over, since it's good to plant the cloves a few weeks before the ground will freeze, so I guess northern growers bought a lot of it. Mine went into the ground Oct 12-15. Planting now would still be better than waiting until spring. If you have a mild winter, they will grow good roots before you see growth in the spring, and as a result you will get larger bulbs. Both of those sites have good information about growing garlic.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9330799

Jake,
I grew grocery store softneck garlic last year with very good results. I've just planted this year's plot a week ago. Several of us in Mid Atlantic forum have planted a variety we bought from a local farmer. For our small plots it was a better deal than having to buy from online and pay shipping. But of course at this time the farmers market with the local grower has closed for the season.
He was selling Oregon Blue, Chesnok Red, Music, German White, and Willamette which he grows in this county (Anne Arundel MD near Annapolis) You are a full zone colder than we are though.

Just looked at that first link. 2 dollars a pound is a GREAT price!

This message was edited Nov 12, 2012 1:38 AM
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #9331715

I planted my garlic last weekend, and that is about the latest I have ever planted it in the Fall. I have heard hardneck garlic has to be planted in the Fall or it will not form a bulb properly. Softnecks can be planted either in the Fall or in the late Winter. I have done both successfully. I got my first planting stock from the grocery store, but then I became interested in some experimenting with other varieties and got some different kinds from Filaree Farm. They are rather expensive, but have a huge selection. I figured I'd get a little bit, then save it for planting the following year.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9332815

I received an newsletter from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and they have a limited amount of garlic available:

http://www.southernexposure.com/garlic-c-25.html

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America