Photo by Melody

Pets: Smitty doesn't "do" rain, sleet, or snow!

Communities > Forums > Pets
bookmark
Forum: PetsReplies: 246, Views: 1,738
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9328185

He does do this pose while I eat dinner, just waiting for me to give him some forbidden fruit.

All through Sandy and the latest storm, Athena, he barely would leave the garage for fear of getting wet feet.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9328231

Oh my he is just too cute! I'm so glad the storms are behind us. I've had enough. Thanks for the new thread Arlene.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

November 8, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9328281

Pirl - he apparently does not like to get wet. But you say he goes to shower with you. Does he get in the shower with you? Maybe, if so, that is different in his mind from a cold rain.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9328553

He is just so adorable, happy to see your on your new laptop Arlene. Have a Happy Day and enjoy the nice weather coming our way, time to break out the short sleeve blouses and this is how everyone gets sick.
Have a great weekend everyone !!!!!
Christine
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9328679

What a cutie! Wet feet? No one likes wet feet. How dare you make him go out in wet weather! Poor little fella! You'll have to get him some rubber boots! LOL
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9328768

Boy, that Smitty is just as adorable as ever. Betty
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9328844

It looks like Smitty will have several days of dry weather - good for him!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9329012

Thanks, everyone, for the sweet comments about Smitty. I am 100% sure he was raised in a condo or apartment and never went outdoors unless he was going for a ride. He does love both the car and the truck.

He doesn't come with me willingly when it's shower time. I bribe him with one of his Prescription Diet snacks and scoop him up in my arms as I already have the tub filling with nice warm water. (If I were a cruel person I'd turn on the jets but then any resulting blood would be my own fault.) Then comes the moment when we enter the bathroom and it's "Foiled again, Batman". He looks so vulnerable in the tub but doesn't make a sound or misbehave. When he is done with the whole routine he looks like a very clean drowned black & white rat but he dries himself off because he doesn't want me wrapping him in a towel. His face in the first photo (after a bath) doesn't exactly portray his love for me but I can't blame him. I hesitated to post the second picture because it's so blurry (since I wasn't dressed and didn't have a towel around me) but it shows how pathetic he looks when he's trapped in the top praying for really long legs.

Butterfly Chaser - the scene at Petco was so hysterical when we tried to get boots to fit his wide (and fluffy) paws. I laughed so hard I thought I'd wet the floor! Anyhow, it just didn't work out for him or for us. To fit his feet he needed boots fit for a St. Bernard and that's probably the one Smitty was praying to in order to escape the ordeal.

He will walk about 10 steps on wet grass but pavement is still the issue with him. I guess three years of never touching pavement left a bad lasting impression. He still greets the outdoors with a sense of wonder about this great new wonderful world but getting him to move takes unbelievable patience. He checks out every tree, every passing car or person, every flower - it takes great patience (and about ten minutes) to get him to the end of the driveway (no, it's not a 900' driveway!) whether he walks on the driveway or on the grass.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone. As Christine said, many of us will be wearing summer clothing we haven't worn in quite some time so be careful...and Smitty adds, "Don't get your feet wet".

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 9, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9329030

Adorable Arlene. Our dogs get very little rain to walk in and they do not like it. Dogs are such a joy. I cannot imagine a life without one.

We have a little chill in the air but I have promised myself I will never complain about the weather after watching what all you went through.

Have a great day, stay safe and warm. Hugs, Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9329095

I love dogs' reactions to things. The 6 month old pup across the street is Primo, a chocolate lab. Here I was thinking I'm strong but no match for him when he jumped on me today. I finally got him to lie down for a good belly rub and then escaped!

We're due for some nice warm weather (high 60's) so you can bet I'll be in the garden. Smitty won't come with me and has no interest in plants or gardening but neither did Harry.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9329205

Poor Smitty! If Sam were here, he'd agree with him--baths are not for dogs! NO way, NO how! He wouldn't even willingly enter the "torture chamber". If I made the mistake of mentioning a bath, his hair would stand up as he looked for a place to hide. He would be 90 lbs of stubborn determination when I'd drag him to the bathroom. Yet, the ornery cuss would happily wade in the muddy ditch behind our house!

Nikko too avoids the "torture chamber". Nothing good happens there, he's certain. So Nikko sends his sympathies to Smitty. He said he'd share his bone with Smitty to help him get over the horrible ordeal.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 9, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9329245

Nikko is also adorable. Love those blue eyes.

Pirl, I had the same encounter with a chocolate lab puppy that lives on the street behind us across the greenbelt. He was hopping around and so happy to see me but I was moving away. His owner told me he was harmless. I told her I knew that but he could knock me down very easily with his happiness.

This is our cat Izzy's first winter with wind and leaves falling. She is driving herself nuts. She goes out in the landscape with me and she thinks every flying leaf is an insect. She bouncing all over the landscape capturing every leaf that flies by. She is absolutely hilarious but confused.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9329312

Nikko is so beautiful, BC. Dogs treat the tub as torture but they seem so happy when they're clean and dry.

That's funny about you and the Lab puppy, Sharon! They are so strong! Love the cat story! Get some photos of Izzy catching leaves. Too funny!

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9329479

How I enjoy reading all the wonderful stories everyone posts, Smitty is even cuter wet and Nikko is beautiful.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9329644

The pet stories are great fun and such a relief from the storm horrors on TV.

Smitty was put on steroids last week and an antibiotic (again) for his problems. Now he takes more medicines than can be believed. This morning I forgot his allergy pill but realized it just as he returned from his morning walk. He got so excited when he saw me take out the dog food can but it was only to give him a bit of the food with the allergy pill inside of it. He has this automatic refrigerator alarm bell and neither of us can open it without seeing Smitty suddenly appear with his hopeful face. Pathetic!

On my own I decided to try Amalactin (not a Rx) on Smitty's very dry skin on his back. My dermatologist had recommended it for my upper arms (known as wingspans at a certain age) and it worked for me so I thought it was worth a try for Smitty since he rolled on his back so often to try and get relief and no medicine helped it. I am NOT telling anyone to go against doctor's orders but this stuff worked miracles for him and he very seldom rolls around trying to scratch his own back anymore.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9330115

Arlene, thanks for that tip, I will tell my friend about it, her poor baby suffers so and the meds the vet has given her just dont seem to be helping a whole lot, this is Maggie Mae & Dutchess

Looks like Dutch's eyes are going to pop out of her head LOL

This message was edited Nov 11, 2012 8:02 AM

Thumbnail by jasminesmom   Thumbnail by jasminesmom         

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9330272

TOO sweet for words. They are both so adorable and so huggable!

I checked Smitty's back earlier today and there is no flaking so I'll keep on using the AMLACTIN. I may have misspelled it in a previous post. I just read the ingredients, cautions and directions. Your friend can go to amlactin.com for more information. I never got any itching, peeling, redness, swelling, etc. from it and really wondered if it was even working for me...and then I felt my arm after my shower (alone) after I used the towel and it was silky smooth. Smitty hasn't had any problems with it and he is one super-allergic dog!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9330273

Here's the link: http://amlactin.com/
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9330281

The Amlactin site was interesting and I viewed their other products as well. Then I realized I hadn't given the full name of the product so here it is:
http://amlactin.com/product/amlactin-moisturizing-body-lotion

It's the "moisturizing body lotion" that Smitty and I share.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9330877

Thank you so much Arlene, I forwarded all the info to my friend..
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9330896

Even as of this morning, Smitty's skin is not flaking and he's not rolling around on his back. He must feel great relief so I'll keep using it after every bath. I prefer something like that to the many medications he is currently taking.

He really is a very funny dog. He finds Jack each morning (I keep the door shut until I know Jack is awake) and then it becomes this grand reunion site as though Jack has been away for a month. Then Jack gets into the shower and Smitty takes off! He must think Jack is crazy to willingly and happily get into the shower. It's so funny to see him run out of the bathroom and run back to safety in the kitchen.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9331333

LOL, they are such characters, I can never understand a house being a home without a dog or cats in spite of the hair, I think it sometimes adds a bit of flavor to food, it cant be helped and I warn everyone that comes over to dine LOL I say its good for the digestive system a little bit of roughage is good.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9331433

If a person can't stand to see a bit of hair or fur then they should not come to my home. Smitty is more important to my life than the nitpickers could ever be.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9331488

I feel that way about my furbabies too, Arlene. And non-animal lovers just don't get it. I personally don't think a house is a home without a little fur flying.

My babies get van rides too, and humans snarl their noses at the hair left on the leather seat covers and carpet. It's just hair! It's not a roach or a rat; it won't bite! People forget that they themselves shed...sometimes in the food we're eating!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9331539

We enjoy having Smitty along for rides just as we did with Harry. Pets don't argue, don't fuss, don't ask, "Are we there yet?", don't snap gum, don't wear perfume or after shave and they don't text! Many people have worse manners than any pets.
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9331800

Amen. I don't know how I'd live without my hounds. They are so loving and easy going.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9331827

It's probably the unconditional love, total devotion and the 100% trust they place in us that makes me a pet lover.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9331847

My mother told me as a kid that if a person doesnt like dogs or animals there's something wrong with them and to stay away from them, BOY were you right Mom...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9331955

I agree!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9332482

pirl wrote:We enjoy having Smitty along for rides just as we did with Harry. Pets don't argue, don't fuss, don't ask, "Are we there yet?", don't snap gum, don't wear perfume or after shave and they don't text! Many people have worse manners than any pets.

Gotta argue with you on that one, Arlene. My Nikko argues. I tell him he can't go this time and he INSISTS. He blocks the door so I can't get out unless he gets out first. More than once he has snuck past me and then took off thru the neighborhood, just to prove that he IS going.

Today, he saw a cat on my side of the van and nearly punctured one of my lungs trying to crawl over me and out the driver's window WHILE I was driving.

And at McDonalds, he insists that the lady in the window forgot his ice cream. "She did too. Everytime we come here, Mom orders me an ice cream and you're supposed to hand it out the window. So where's my ice cream?? Go back and get my ice cream; I'll wait right here. Well...where is it???" He tries to stare her down, but she closes the window in his face. Shhhhhh, don't tell him that "Mom" forgot to order his ice cream today! We'll just let him think that the lady in the window forgot.

And bad manners...Nikko has one terrible manner--he's too nosy--putting that nose in places it was never meant to go. Anyone coming thru the door has to pass the sniff test. My roommate learned to knee him down when he comes toward her. So he got smart and beat her at her own game. He let her pass by him and then rammed her from behind. The surprise about knocked her over. So now she just thinks he's a nosy brat. LOL
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9332531

I'm blessed to have Smitty. We never get an argument from him and he doesn't do sniff tests. He does love fat free frozen yogurt but only on vacation.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9336047

Hey Arlene, how are things on your end of the Island? I hope & pray for all of you that someone does something with LIPA, sinful what they have gotten away with. What are your plans for Thanksgiving? I'm going over to a friends and doing alot of the cooking, I'll be maiking my pecan & pumpkin pies on Tuesday to get them out of the way... I cant wait !!!! P.S. Dutchess will be coming with me :>)

What are everyone's plans?

Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9336088

Thanks for asking, Christine. We're fine but so many are still without power, probably due to downed trees. Yesterday we were out working on the raspberry patch and the smell of gas from the chain saws was in the air. It felt like if someone went to light their grill the whole neighborhood would go up in flames.

If you really want that pecan pie to "get them out of the way" you can send it down here! Enjoy the day and the pies.

We're going out for Thanksgiving - no cooking or cleaning but no leftovers to enjoy either.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 18, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9336749

Vern, my DH had eye surgery for a detached retina in Friday. He is suppose to be face down for at least 5 more days. We were going to our daughters but we have decided it is best and easier to stay home.

Vern's daughter has been here for two days and is leaving in the morning. Just a fluke she was on her way here when the emergency showed up hours before she landed.

Our older schnauzer, Jordan, died last Sunday evening. He was 14 1/2 and will be missed immensely by me. I gave the puppies their bath today and it was the first time Jordan was not here to enjoy his bath. He loved his bath and our walks.

Two granddaughter are coming home from college Wednesday for the weekend. They will come over and cheer grandmother up.

Have a great week and hug each other. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9336898

I'm so very sorry about Jordan, Sharon. The death of a beloved pet is so hard to take and only time helps heal the wound. You have my sympathy.

Poor Vern! I hope he recovers with great speed. Jack has the same problem but it isn't serious enough yet to warrant surgery. I can't imagine being face down for five days.

Enjoy the granddaughters and your Thanksgiving, no matter where or how you spend it. You can be thankful for all the years of companionship Jordan gave you, among other things.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9340405

So, how was your Thanksgiving Arlene?? Mine was delicious and a good time with good friends..
This is the turkey my friend made, I'll be making soup today YUMMY !!!!

Thumbnail by jasminesmom

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9340432

That looks heavenly. Turkey soup is good but the smell of it cooking is so wonderful.

We went out for dinner but I gardened in the morning and after we got home. I worked so hard that I slept 11.5 hours. It's a wonder Smitty didn't come in to wake me up today.

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving Day. The weather was so gorgeous!

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9340650

I spoke to my friends on the Island yesterday morning and they were out raking leaves, today it was 55 up here, crazy weather. Glad you had a great day :>) Smitty was tired too !!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9340702

It's been so glorious. From Sunday through today I've worked in the garden for 35.5 hours and loved it.

Smitty is a foodie. Just opening the refrigerator door sends off an alarm to him to see what I'm doing. He is so adorable.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 23, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9340966

Today is the last day living in the bedroom. Vern is suppose to stay quiet so I have been the mean nurse since Friday a week ago today telling him what to do. Except for leaving the bedroom to take the dogs for their walks, or make him something to eat I have been in the over stuffed chair. Way to much football and my back is not happy. I have not sat this still ever in my life. He can get up and move around starting tomorrow.

We have been in the 70s and I have not been near my garden.

This is a turkey breast with chicken legs/thighs on each side. Dressing (stuffing) was underneath. Dressing was magnificent because it basically fried in the turkey fat.

My puppies do the same thing with the refrigerator but they only get carrots or small red, yellow & orange peppers.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9341135

My best wishes to Vern for a full recovery and my applause to you for being such a good mean nurse!

It's been gorgeous all week but today and tomorrow were designed for cooking or housework. Sunny and 40 degrees right now.

Dressing fried in turkey fat has to be fantastic. I'd love it.

No one ever told Smitty he's not a collie and his name is not Lassie. When I tell him, "Lassie - go find daddy", he gallops around until he does find daddy. If I don't use the Lassie word, he walks but doesn't gallop.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 24, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9341694

I forgot to post the photo. I will be back tomorrow. I got on her late.

The Lassie story is hilarious.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9341832

Sharon, your dinner looks fabulous, I mean mouth watering delicious !!!! I hope Vern is feeling better
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9341874

Now I have a craving for fried dressing! It does look terrific, Sharon.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 25, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9342474

I think if I planned it it would not have happened. I had the over at 400 degrees for 18 minutes to brown the turkey and then turned it down. I think that is what started the fried dressing.

I have never had s fried Twinkies. If I am going to have one I had better hurry up. If I do not eat Twinkies, why would I eat a fried one.
Have a great Monday. Puppies are getting groomed tomorrow. Sharon

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9365614

Smitty is missing his favorite lap.

Jack went into the hospital, on an emergency basis, last Thursday. He had extreme pains in his lower back and a pain in his belly. Finally a CT scan showed leakage from an AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm) that he had repaired in Sept. 2011. He was transferred to a university hospital more than an hour from here and they did operate and repaired it again. He's still in ICU and feeling better but thirsty and he wants to eat but isn't allowed to do so. He's now on oxygen full time but no one explains anything to him so he feels lost. Even the wonderful nurses can't give Jack the information the doctor's have and won't share with him.

Please say a prayer or two that Smitty gets his favorite lap back home again soon and that I get Jack back where he belongs. Thanks.

Thumbnail by pirl

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9365624

Oh Arlene, I am so sorry to hear this. I sure hope Jack starts to feel better and comes home soon. (((HUGS)))
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9365627

Thanks. Smitty and I feel the same way.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9365705

I'm sorry to hear that he's in the hospital, but I'm glad that he's recovering.

If I was in the hospital and couldn't get answers, I'd get one of my female friends that know how to impersonate a female canine to come and get them for me.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 23, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9365708

Arlene, that is terrible. I know how Jack loves being home with you and Smitty. Take care and he will be home soon.

Is there any explanation why the doctors will not tell him anything? Please keep us posted.

Poor Smitty is probably so confused. Hugs coming your way. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9365718

Doug and Sharon - I just spoke to him and he sounded so much better than he has over the last three days. At one point we were actually laughing and that felt great.

Smitty is super dejected. I had him in here with me but he returned to lie under Jack's chair. What a heartbreaking scene that is.

Stony Brook University is a teaching hospital. If I were in charge I would make sure all the students knew the great importance of talking with the patient. It relieves their stress to know everything that can be done for them is being done. Not a single doctor has called me other than the original surgeon who told me only 25% of patients survive the surgery. Well, he made it through the surgery just fine but I'll have to call the patient advocate in the morning to get the information that not a single doctor sees fit to give me. That is highly frustrating.

I am asking anyone and everyone who reads this thread, religious or not, to please pray for Jack. I want him home and so does Smitty.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 23, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9365723

I am already praying for him and you. I know how important you both are to each other.

OMG, 25% is not good odds. No one would touch that bet in Las Vegas. So glad Jack made it through the surgery. You should hold the phone up to Smitty's ear so he can listen to Jack.

God bless all three of you. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9365728

Thank you, Sharon. Hearing that 25% line by the doctor was no way to a restful sleep that night. He called twice and Jack had called first. It was good to hear all went well at 6:50 in the morning. The doctor also told Jack about the 25% chance when he spoke to him after surgery. To me, it could have waited until he was recovered and out of the hospital.

With the oxygen tubes I'm not sure Smitty would recognize Jack's voice but I will try it tomorrow if Smitty is in here with me as he is now. Next time I give him a bath he'll retreat to under Jack's chair.

God is listening so please keep praying.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9365875

Arlene, my thoughts & prayers are with you & Jack & Smitty. I am so very sad that your all having to go through this, I do believe in the power of prayer. God Bless you all and give you the strength to be strong. Hugs Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9365918

Thanks, Christine. I hope God hears all of our prayers.
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9365926

Dear Arlene, God definitely listens to our prayers and I just know He's hearing from lots of people on Dave's Garden. I pray that Jack is back home with you and Smitty very very soon.

God bless you all,

Betty
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9366047

Thank you, Betty. Jack is much better today though the doctors are still concerned with minor leakage at the site of the aneurysm repair and they are also concerned about his lungs but Jack doesn't know why. I'll speak to his nurse soon.

Smitty is at my side and I did put the phone to his ear and Jack did speak to him but Smitty didn't react.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 24, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9366290

I always get on here late. I am hoping you, Jack and Smitty had a great day. Our dogs only perk up their ears when they hear one of us on the phone.

I cannot believe these doctors are not keeping you and Jack advised. Everyone here is keeping you both in our prayers. God bless and Merry Christmas.

Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9366389

Smitty has made great strides in one day. Now he uses the dog's pen and that makes life easier for me.

A Dr. Shapiro showed up in Jack's room twice today, doling out orders and demanding food for Jack and the start of moving around. Bless his soul. He came at the direction of the nurse, who I spoke to and asked about the doctor actually speaking to Jack to tell him about his situation. So many people rave about this hospital and say it's the best: we don't.

Please keep praying.

Merry Christmas to all!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 24, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9366404

Finally. Moving around is a good thing for Jack. Now if he can just come home.

Smitty is using the dog pen because he does not have Jack's feet or lap. He is going to be one happy pup when he sees Jack.

Merry Christmas Arlene, Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9366588

It was an attempt to stand up, which failed. Even with the help of two people he couldn't stand up so I'm hoping they can start him on physical therapy or send him to a rehab place that offers it. For a man who walked four miles a day for five years, neither of us could believe how fast those muscles turned to jelly.

Smitty finished breakfast and must have felt Jack was home because he did his "run, Lassie, run" to Jack's room and came back so disappointed. What a heartbreaker. Now he's by my side.

Jack will be surprised to see me today but I can't allow our 24th Christmas to go by without being with him for awhile.

Merry Christmas, Sharon, to you and your family.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9366698

I wouldn't be surprised that the pain medicine Jack must be on may be having a bigger affect on him than either of you suspect. Have you thought about taking Smitty to see him as soon as they will let Jack outside in a wheel chair. I bet it would be good for both of them.

This message was edited Dec 25, 2012 2:45 PM
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9366786

Arlene, I sure hope that Jack is able to build up his strength and get home to you and Smitty soon. (((HUGS)))
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9366945

Doug - Both Jack and Smitty would love that but I haven't seen any patients in wheelchairs outside and the staff may worry about germs. I just can't wait for the grand reunion! I hope it comes soon.

Thanks, Elsie. It looks like prayers are being answered. I was there today and his color is terrific.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9367332

Thinking of you and Jack & Smitty, and lots of heavy praying for you all... Warm Hug's Christine & Dutchess
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9367520

To all of Smitty's fans -

Thank you for all your prayers - they have worked. Jack will be leaving his ICU room for a regular room today! His oxygen has been reduced and he's walking a little.

I am so appreciative of your prayers and so is Smitty...and Jack. Soon we'll all be together again!
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9367561

Arlene, that is the best news!! I am hoping that you all have a wonderfully healthy new year!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9367618

Elsie - my heart is so relieved. He does have a regular room now, no more ICU, no more oxygen and no more catheter. What a huge improvement in a short time.

The doctors told him IF they have to go back in to fix the still leaking aortic repair they will use glue! They can do anything as long as he ends up safe and sound here at home. Smitty will be crazed!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 26, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9367976

So here I am on here again late. I am so glad Jack is on the road to repair. So glad he is able to walk a little. I know he will work on that until he is back to his normal excellent self. Tell Jack to be careful when he comes home. Jordan was so happy to see us after a time away, he jumped up and just about broke Vern's nose.

How are they getting to the aorta to use the glue?

We had snow, then rain, then snow today. Not your kind of snow. It melted as soon as it hit the ground. Izzy, the cat, went outside several times but came right back in. Our high today was 52 and we were all cold. I know, we are wimps.

I am cheering for you, Jack and Smitty that Jack will be home soon. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9368022

I imagine Smitty will be using his squeaky toys to tell Jack how happy he is and doing his "Run, Lassie run" all around the house.

I have no idea how they'll get the glue where it has to go. I guess they'd use a vein as they did for the aneurysm repair but doubt if it would require a long hospital stay.

We didn't even have any snow but the wind sounds like an endless freight train and it has for the last five hours.

Thanks, Sharon. I just can't wait to have him home where he belongs. I've already told the oldest daughter, NO COMPANY, he needs his rest.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 26, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9368050

Oh do I have tales for you. Some time after the New Year I will write you the first chapter. LOL, Sharon

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9368063

Just doing some catch up here after Zuzu gave me the latest news, first with the thread announcing the arrival of that sweet new puppers Smitty, he is so adorable! I can see how you could fall in love with him!
Glad to read of Jack's improvement today, I am sure you are both relieved to get into a regular room. Hope he continues to improve and soon gets reunited with Smitty and hopefully home in time to celebrate your anniversary.
Take care of yourself too Arlene, as difficult as that may be during this stressful time. Your guys need you!

This message was edited Dec 26, 2012 9:39 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9368279

Thanks, Sue. It certainly is stressful. Today is the day he will have "the procedure". He doesn't know what, when, etc. and asks no questions. So I sit and wonder what's happening. I imagine it's the glue procedure. If it were to be anything major they'd never have given him food yesterday.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 27, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9368477

Well I got on here early just to check on you three. I will keep you in my thoughts today. Please keep us posted.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9368492

Now the procedure has been delayed until tomorrow but it is the glue and here's a short and interesting video that shows how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gD7Fdlqm48
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 27, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9368580

Those researchers do a wonderful job. Thanks for the info.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9368611

It's just one of the miracles of modern medicine and we never know when that video will bring relief to us about loved ones diagnosed with an aneurysm.
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9368722

Wow, that's amazing. Good to know. Prayers for all of you are being said.

Betty
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9368731

Thanks, Betty. Our combined prayers have to get him through tomorrow's procedure with flying colors or the alternative is the surgery my dad had 41 years ago and it was very rough - ICU for two weeks with constant calls that it would be his last day. He lived another 9 healthy years but his recuperation took months and he was in top physical shape.

Poor Smitty is in deep depression.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9368735

That is truly amazing. Thinking & praying for you & Jack & Smitty.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9368737

Thanks, Christine. Rain and major winds here tonight. That always keeps me awake, tossing and turning.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9368738

For Smitty

Thumbnail by jasminesmom

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9368947

How very sweet. Thank you...or does Dutchess get the credit?

Smitty played with his squeaky toy for about a minute, then decided there was no reason to be so joyful. We're hoping Jack will be home very soon - maybe Sunday or Monday but that's us doing the thinking and not the word of the doctors.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9369219

A huge thank you to all who prayed for Smitty's "daddy". Jack had the latest procedure to seal off the bleeding and that was followed by an ultra sound, which showed NO bleeding. Success!

Soon Smitty will have his favorite lap for resting!

Thank you all SO VERY MUCH!

Thumbnail by pirl

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9369338

Great news Arlene!! I hope DH will be home very soon.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9369342

Me, too, Elsie!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 28, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9369510

Wonderful news. All the angels in heaven are singing. Keep us posted. Sharon

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9369647

I just love that photo of Jack & Smitty, I too will continue to pray hard for Jack's homecoming, what a great way to start the new year. Yes, it was Dutchess that sent the thinking of you LOL...
I hope you dont get to much snow, for us they are talking 4" to 6" ending tomorrow morning.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9369656

Thanks, Sharon. I feel the angels are singing, too! He sounded very tired this morning and he wishes they'd get him moving around. I'll call the nursing station next to ask them to get him up and around. I want him home!

Thanks, Christine. I just knew it was Dutchess who was hard at work! It would be a great homecoming and make for a great 22nd anniversary for us on 1/1/13. Here the weather reports are for 1 to 3" but it may end up being just rain along the coast. That would suit me fine though I do love the look of a snowy day. It hasn't yet begun.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9369774

Monday, 12/31/12, will be Jack's release date. I'll be happy and relieved and Smitty will be overjoyed!

I'm good enough for feeding him, giving him his med's and ointments and vitamins and eye drops, but I use the evil vacuum and scary broom and I do not have a lap nearly as good as Jack does.

Thumbnail by pirl

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9369803

Great news Arlene!! It will surely be a Happy New Year and Happy Anniversary.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9369833

What awesome news !!!!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9369900

Jack and I are both so happy but Smitty doesn't know. I'm torn between bringing him or leaving him home. I thought they could both sit in the back seat but I'm not sure if it would be too much for Jack.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9369902

Arlene, you are the key to his heart, don't you forget it. Happy Anniversary to a loving couple, lots of love to all of you in the New Year. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9369938

Thanks, Etelka. I just want us to be together again.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 29, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9370256

Pirl, I am on here lat. Fantastic news. I used to take the dogs to the airport when Vern returned from a trip. The dogs got so excited, it was quite a sight. I think you will come up with the right idea. They probably will just want to sit in their chair and chill.

Does Jack like chocolate? I got some hand made chocolate marshmallows at Whole Foods. Added one to my coffee. Oh my goodness was it wonderful. Of course, I added a little bit of whipped cream. All I was missing was slowly falling snow.

Of course, if it is anything like when I was in the hospital, it takes forever to get released.

Pirl, ask those hospital people when will Jack be available for pick up. All the doctors need to sign off and then prescriptions have to be written. I could not believe how long it took and how unorganized it was.

You are all in my thoughts. Hugs, Sharon

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9370361

Thanks for your comments and thoughts, Sharon.

Jack has his favorite chocolates here but hasn't been able to enjoy them for a long time due to dental work.

Checking out in some hospitals is a breeze. It was for me in 2001 (no forms, no scripts), and it was for Jack both times he was in a nearby hospital. I'm not so sure about this place.

Jack's niece, in Florida, told me to get a script for physical rehab and home health care so Medicare can pay for those services. I'd never even have thought of it.

A neighbor will come over to help get Jack out of the car and up the two steps into the kitchen. All the kitchen chairs have wheels so I can wheel him wherever he needs to go. We'll rent or buy a wheeled walker. Jack knows the exact one he wants.

If anyone else has any helpful hints I'd love to hear them.

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9370378

Arlene, it sounds like you have things in order for Jack to come home and get better. If it were me - I would leave Smitty home. If there is a delay at the hospital you will be worrying about him in the car. I am sure Jack will need Smitty to be gentle and it will probably be easier at home. Just my 2 cents.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9370393

I great that he's going to be home soon. Have them write a script for the walker also. Durable medical equipment is covered under some plans. I'd also lock Smitty in the bedroom or somewhere until Jack can get into the house and seated.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9370494

Great thoughts, both Elsie and Doug. I won't bring Smitty. I told Jack this morning, since the hospital's scheduled CT scans are often many hours off schedule and it would still have to be read, to call me when they tell him he can go home. I can be there in 75 minutes.

Excellent idea, Doug. I'll add the script for the walker and maybe a shower seat. I doubt he can stand long enough to shower. I can keep the dog in the half bath with water and food until Jack is settled.

Thanks so much!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 30, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9370617

Many loving, caring ideas for you and Jack. DG has great people.

I think you idea of him calling when thy are ready is great. I just hope you do not have to drive after dark or in bad weather.

Take care. You will be in my thoughts all day. Pleasant thoughts and vibes coming your way.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9370703

I pray it won't be after the darkness has set in but we'll find out tomorrow.

Thanks, Sharon. Bless DG and all the very helpful people.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9371099

I pray all goes well for you today, I'm wishing you & Jack & Smitty a Healthy, & Happy New Year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of DG's there are so many wonderful people here :>)
Christine & Dutchess & J

Thumbnail by jasminesmom

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9371190

Thanks and the same wishes back to you, Dutchess and J.

I am so thankful for all the DG people who have been so supportive and so encouraging. We're looking forward to being together again...tonight and on Cape Cod for many more years.

Happy New Year to all, and may it be a healthy and happy one for all of us.

Thumbnail by pirl

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9371327

Happy New Year, Jack & Arlene! I hope Jack's homecoming goes smoothly today... so good to think of the two of you together to welcome in the New Year. May it be a year of health & joy!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 31, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9371396

On here early again. Just because of you Pirl. I just want to see that Jack is home and all is well.

Praying for angels to keep you safe on your trip to pick up Jack and your trip home. Take care and let us know. Happy New Year.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9371439

Thanks for all the good wishes. We appreciate them...however the hospital still has not done the final CT scan so here I sit just waiting for the phone call. It's disappointing.

I'll let you know how the angels performed once Jack is back here, Sharon. Love the good thoughts.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9371469

Arlene, I hope you don't have to go there once it gets dark. Would one of your neighbors go with you? I hope you are all home soon.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9371535

Darkness is soon approaching and I fear to think of all the drunks on the road - tonight of all nights!

Elsie, I'd love him to be home. Maybe we can arrange for an ambulance to drive him here tonight IF he actually gets discharged. I'm used to patients leaving before noon so this is all a shock to us.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9371595

If he hasn't had a cat scan by now I suspect it isn't going to happen today. The only reason I could think of that they would discharge him this late at night is to free up a bed. Good luck and I know what you mean about the drunks on the road.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9371640

They took him for the CT scan around 3 PM and returned him after 5 PM. He said the line was long when he arrived but much longer when he left. It still has to be read so we doubt he'll be discharged tonight. Tomorrow would be fine with us but we have no way of knowing if his doctor will be on duty to release him. They may be a great hospital but they fail so miserably at communicating with both the patient and the family.

I'd be a wreck on the road tonight anyhow so we just have to believe everything happens for the best.

Thumbnail by pirl

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9371641

Arlene, I hope you have contacted the hospital to find out what is happening. I hope tomorrow morning he gets discharged. I bet the day has just been way too long while you have been waiting.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9371643

Arlene we posted at the same time. Is there someone there to call about tomorrow?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 31, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9371729

Same experience I had. They told me I was going home at 10am and I finally got discharged around 5pm. If they had not said I was getting discharged I would have been fine. The doctor that signed me out was not my doctor but the one assigned to me when I was brought in by ambulance. And another hold up was the prescriptions he had to write. I already had the medication at home.

I think I would tell them, if they call you and say he is ready to come home, that you will be there in the morning. Absolutely no reason to drive 75 minutes in the dark to turn around and drive back.

They could have saved you and Jack a lot of stress by moving it tomorrow. Especially when the the C scan got delayed.

But look at it this way Arlene, what a way to start the New Year, bringing Jack home. Happy New Year.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9371735

The nurses can only tell me what they're told. They have all been so wonderful but I can't say the same for the doctors. The Patient Advocate's office is only open 9 to 5 weekdays, not holidays.

This all began on Dec. 20 and the shortest days of the year. They have all been incredibly long for me and for Jack. Now it's more like a nightmare.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9371739

We cross posted, Sharon. I've only been discharged in the morning, never after noon, so once 3 PM came I figured on a delay.

Thanks for the positive outlook, Sharon. Bringing him home on our anniversary will be a fantastic gift.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 31, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9371769

Arlene, when I was in the emergency room I, as usual, was quiet but observing everything. The majority of time I had my eyes closed. It is surprising what the personnel will say when thy think you are asleep. I did determine, but probably would not do, that the nastier and nosier they were, the faster they got attention. Maybe you are being to nice. Start in the morning and let them know you are on the way and then call them from your cell phone and give them an update every 10 minutes. LOL.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9371794

Sure thing! They'll send him back for another CT scan. As I said, the nurses are wonderful and we'd be lying if we said we had any complaints about them but the doctors are so laid back and so uninformative that the patient and the family are left in limbo. When I told Jack I'd call the nursing station he said: Please don't bother them, they have enough to do.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9372060

I'm so sorry Jack didnt come home yesterday, it's true everything does happen for a reason, I truly believe that God has a plan for everything. Keep up the great faith & positive outlook you are such a strong woman. I'm looking forward to hearing all about Jack & Smitty, you better have some wee wee pads down I bet Smitty will tinkle when he see's Jack. God Bless
Hugs
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9372136

It wouldn't shock me, Christine. He's eventually getting a bright orange, hard rubber squeaky for Christmas, which has been delayed for us. I'm sure he will give it a good work-out the first day Jack is back home.

Jack called this morning and one doctor has given him the okay to leave but he said he's at the bottom of the doctor ladder and it can only be signed off by the doctor in charge. We don't know if he is working today. What a pitiful situation.

Soon (we hope) Smitty can come out from under Jack's chair and learn to wag his tail again!

Thumbnail by pirl

bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9372246

Oooh, he's so sad and my heart breaks for all of you. I pray that it will be soon.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 1, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9372447

My son Todd is an internist and he has signing off on patients on holidays but my neighbor is a cardiologist and he is skiing with his family at Park City, Utah.

Why couldn't you call and ask if the lead doctor that needs to sign off on him today is expected so you can plan your day around a 150 mile trip. It is just about getting to late. But I am sure you know that.

Hugs and Happy New Year. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9372539

He's home. Joy to the world! Smitty is SO happy. He had to do a double take and then couldn't stop kissing Jack!
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9372556

Arlene - that is the greatest news!! Happy New Year to all of you! I'm sure DH will get some good rest at home.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9372557

Thanks, Elsie. He and Smitty are sitting together right now.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9372568

Oh, makes my heart happy too!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 1, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9372670

Wonderful news. But we will wait to hear all the stories after you guys celebrate Christmas, New Years, your anniversary and get some rest.

Hugs, Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9372679

Rest is #1 on the agenda. His last room mate spoke almost no English so he had to have his son sleep in the room and many people came to visit. They were loud so Jack got very little rest the last few days. Now he's sound asleep in his favorite chair and you can guess who is sleeping under the chair (not me).

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9372741

Big smile on my face, I'm so thrilled Jack is finally where he belongs. HAPPY EVERYTHING !!!!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9372764

You are such a nice person! Happy Everything to you, too, Christine.

I just got Jack tucked into bed and he loves being on his own mattress and in his room without all the monitors and cuffs and ports for needles and tape everywhere!

Does anyone know if it's retained water that has made his feet so swollen he can't even wear his slippers? They had IV's going for a long time and it looks like his feet will burst with the way they're so swollen and out of shape.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9372785

Arlene, I'm so glad Jack is getting some rest. I firmly believe that rest is banned at hospitals. I don't know about his swollen feet. I would call the hospital and ask or call his doctor.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9372801

We'll be seeing our own doctor on Thursday so I'm sure he can help. In the meantime I'm heading to Google it now. Thanks, Elsie. It's really quite frightening.

It just happens that I bought him a foot warmer for Christmas but he doesn't know it yet since we didn't get around to opening gifts. I did make him open one gift - a neck warmer for all of his long walks (that will now be from the bedroom to the kitchen) and a gadget that retrieves English muffins stuck in the toaster: $2.47 and he LOVES it.

Smitty is insane with his Christmas gift of a hard rubber orange squeaky toy. If I even look at the toy he gives me his phony growl while wagging his tail, which got a big work-out this afternoon!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9372807

Two possibilities from Google:

Pregnancy. I'm ruling that one out!

IV fluids. I bet that's it.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 1, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9372830

And not moving around also does it and too much sodium.
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9372957

What fantastic news. I can't stop smiling. God bless you all, Betty
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9372980

Sharon - we don't use salt and don't eat salty food. His feet were fine before going to the hospital. I think it has to be the IV fluids they were giving him and maybe (from what I've read online) too much potassium. They only started to get Jack sitting up and walking up and down the hall two days before he left! That's unacceptable.

Thanks, Betty. Jack is now awake, after 11.5 hours of sleep! Smitty is on the floor next to him, making sure he doesn't escape again.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9373182

I don't know if he's on any, but certain blood pressure meds will do it also. Most likely it's a combination of things. The most important part of getting out of a hospital is you can get some sleep.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9373191

Welcome home to Jack, yeah, I can just picture the excitement of Smitty seeing his daddy! And a belated Happy Anniversary to the both of you and may the rest of the year stay happy and healthy!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9373297

Doug - he took medicine for high blood pressure for a few years but hasn't needed it in the last three years since his BP is stable and on the low side. I'm sure this is all hospital induced. I just picked up the BP Rx the hospital wants him to take. You're 100% right about the sleeping.

Sue - thanks for all the good wishes. He's walking around the house instead of trying any fancy steps outside in this frigid weather. Smitty planted himself at Jack's feet as I was struggling to put Jack's socks on this morning and he (the dog, not Jack) went for me three times! I think he must have felt I was hurting Jack. We bought a few pair of socks for diabetics in the hopes they'd go on easier. I took Jack to the barber for a shave and now he looks human again.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9373526

It's great Jack got out for a little bit today, WOW about Smitty and he's only been with you for 6 months, he sure does love his Daddy, good thing he warned you and didnt get you. I think you better watch out Smitty doesn't try to start a conspiracy against you lol he wants Jack all to himself, kinda cute in a weird sort of way. Stay warm, it was 10 when I got up this morning. Soon we will be back with our flowers..
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9373580

Jack even enjoyed the ride home from the hospital yesterday. For once he was the passenger and enjoyed looking around and he didn't complain about my driving even once! Smitty was attached to Jack instantly, from the moment we got him, and nothing has changed. It was so cold when we were out! Thank goodness for heated cars!

Tonight is shower night for me and Smitty. He'll be all wound up when it's over. It's fun to watch.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9374435

How did Jack make out at the doctor? I hope all the news is good and he is feeling much better.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9374466

He is feeling much better, Elsie, except for a pain in the back and his swollen legs and feet. Tomorrow I take Jack for a blood test for his kidneys. If all is okay the doctor will put him on diuretics on Monday.

Smitty got his shower with me and he went to the vet today. He will be on Prednisone for life and by mid January we'll find out how long he'll be on antibiotics. He weighed in at 17.9 pounds and really looks good at that weight.

I am now Nurse Arlene!
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9374539

I am sure they are both happy to have you as a nurse. I hope Jack's tests come back okay and he can reduce the swelling.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9374589

Me, too. He listened to the doctor and is now in his favorite chair with his feet up atop a small table covered with a thick throw. After just two hours he said his back felt much better. Sweet relief.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 3, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9374808

What would these men do without us. Pirl, you are a great nurse.

So glad Jack is home. Now we need good news from the doctor tomorrow. Good news on Smitty. Why is Smitty on antibiotics?

I will try to get on here earlier tomorrow. Sharon

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2013
5:37 AM

Post #9374953

Happy to hear all's going well Nurse Arlene, just take care of yourself too. Keeping you all in my prayers.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9375168

Sharon - I think we just do for others in our lives as we wish they'd do for us if the circumstances warrant it. Now I'm serving three meals a day to Jack and two to Smitty. Glad it's not gardening time! The doctor should have the blood work within this noon hour so I hope he can phone in a prescription and we can get Jack on it pronto.

Smitty has a lot of skin issues and the antibiotics help enormously with scaly skin but so does Amlactin so I hope we can drop the drugs.

Thanks, Christine. Jack is making great progress with walking, talking and eating. Thank you for your prayers. Jack is totally convinced he'd never have made it through without all the prayers, especially by the wonderful DG people.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 8, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9379687

Pirl, to quiet there. What is going on in your neck of the woods?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9379882

On the road of progress Jack is in the slow lane but it's to be expected since he was on much too much blood pressure medicine. Our doctor has cut his dosage in half twice in four days. Jack is eating well and resting a lot with "toes above the nose" as required. The swelling is going down but the doctor didn't prescribe any diuretics due to some kidney issues. The good news was that his kidney function is now better than it was before surgery.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9379955

Good to hear from you, wishing you a beautiful day and hugs to Jack & Smitty
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 9, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9380103

Great. I guess I am just a worrier. I am so glad to hre things are getting better...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2013

Post #9380245

Thanks to both Christine and Sharon.

Yesterday I went to the local thrift shop and bought a bathrobe for the scarecrow. It's heavy and very well made and I thought she'd look splendid in the hooded robe. I draped it over Jack as he rested on the sofa. One guess who has custody of it now!

Attached is a collage showing some of my previous thrift shop finds. I returned to the shop today and bought a geisha girl type cover-up so she'll still be unique this year.

Thumbnail by pirl

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9380360

Arlene, you have got one stylin' scarecrow there. So glad to hear Jack is feeling better.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9380480

Thanks, Elsie. It's fun for me to dress her up each spring but now that we're in the midst of winter there are two holes in her dress and her black bra is showing rather conspicuously. She's so far back from the road that not many see her unless they're touring the gardens and not many do.

Thumbnail by pirl

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9380777

Your scarecrow lady is very cute. I volunteer at our local thrift store, it's called Happy Paw's and all the proceeds go to our local ASPCA and the stuff that people donate is mind blowing in a good way, so now I can see how you have so many dress's for your crow lady, however you must cover up her bra, shame shame, I hope you put undies on her !!!! So happy Jack is doing so well, you've done a great job taking care of him. Enjoy the nice weather...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9380890

Of course she has undies! She'd be so old fashioned not to have fancy "underthings".

It really is amazing when I stop at the thrift shop. Some of the vintage clothing and the crocheted pieces are fabulous. You couldn't have chosen a better cause to work for than a pet foundation. I'm applauding you even if you can't hear me!

Jack is doing much better, laughing and enjoying his pampering along with all the meals. He's lost a lot of weight but I am hoping he'll regain it all in time. I don't want a bony husband. The scarecrow is skinny enough for me.

Thumbnail by pirl

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9381122

Looks to be around a 34B, now we can call her Ms Fancypants LOL.. I thought I heard some clapping this afternoon,Thank You.. I really love going to the store 2x a week, I call it going to have fun, I work with a bunch of great ladies and we're all around the same age so we get along very well, I really enjoy when the customers bring in their dogs, last one in was a 10 week old black pug with puppy breath, I fell in love and the lady wouldnt let me hold it LOL they has just picked it up at the Albany Airport and stopped at our store to get him toys, Too Cute. Was Jack able to sit out in the sun for a little bit today? It was nice,the sun felt good. Have a happy night, best to Jack & Smitty :>)

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9381213

I can't be sure of the size since I have to tie the bra in knots to get it to fit! Her waist must be about 22" so that would still make for good proportions.

Puppy breath is the best! I wish they could make a spray for dogs like that.

Jack spent his five hours resting on the sofa but I was working in the rose garden. At this time of year I love how it looks when I'm done - so pristine and weed free but we all know it won't stay that way. The sun did feel good. I could feel the chill coming on at 4 PM and hurried to finish. Had to plant my black bananas around the roses!

You have a good night, too, and look forward to the weekend weather! This is heavenly for January.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 10, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9381471

Good luck on Jack's weight. Vern lost close to 25 pounds and has not been able to gain it back. He never was over weight.

We are in a high wind/freeze warning. They showed that your area is going to warmer than ours. Strange weather.

Take care of the caregiver. Hugs, Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9381474

Same with Jack. He wasn't overweight to start with so the loss of weight is a bit alarming.

I will not complain about our warm spell since we're bound to have snow at some point and then I can go back to working on my photo program to get all the photos in order.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9381774

Good Morning, I am enjoying the warmer temps even if it is for only a few days, I cant wait to get my hands dirty this spring. What type of black banana's are you referring to? Last summer I grew this banana and I cut it back in the fall for it to rest over the winter, I'm looking forward to seeing how it will do this year. Are we talking about the same plants?

Thumbnail by jasminesmom

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9381875

Yours is lovely, Christine, but mine were plain old bananas gone bad!

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9382039

LOL !!!!!!!!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 11, 2013
10:18 PM

Post #9382496

Yes, black bananas. It does not matter how many I purchase, I always have one go bad.

Bananas are suppose to be great for roses. I just did a small trench and slit open the banana and cover it with soil.

You guys are having a heat wave and we are having a freeze. Go figure.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2013
10:46 AM

Post #9382816

They told us about the heat but it's nasty, around 45 and we have misty rain. I only worked outside for about 2 hours before I gave up and came back inside.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

February 17, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9421774

How are Jack and Smitty doing? I read an article about the Havanese breed today and it was really interesting. Apparently most of them live to please their humans!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 17, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9421948

Yes Arlene, we need an update. Vern just celebrated his 80th birthday. We had a family brunch. We do better with brunch than we do with dinner. Our temperatures are rising. Was close to 70 degrees yesterday. Clean-up time is just around th corner. Is Smitty a good helper?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9422090

It's true, stillwood. He does live to please and his morning greetings are priceless as he leaps and bounds around Jack. I get more attention when preparing his meals but I did get a few kisses yesterday.

Belated happy birthday wishes to Vern, Sharon. I agree that brunches are easier than dinners, which can go on for much too long.

If I double our recent temperatures then we'd be close to 70 but we got more snow last night. The sun has eliminated that but we still have enough leftover from last weekend. It's the howling winds that are so endless that I find so annoying.

Jack and Smitty are in the living room and both asleep with Smitty in his usual lap spot. Actually they've both made remarkable progress. Jack is slowly gaining weight but did take a long walk on Thursday. Smitty is still not thrilled to walk but now he's down to a bath a week (still with me as we stand under the shower in the tub of warm water) and still has his special shampoo. His allergies seem to be gone so maybe it's seasonal. Anyhow, he now only has his Vitamin E pill, an allergy pill and half a Prednisone daily. Prednisone was the only thing that worked for his paw biting. He's happy and healthy and full of vim and vigor when he's not lap sitting. He still loves his many daily belly rubs, his combing and brushing and now I'm even cutting his hair since I think the tool the groomer used caused the extreme redness he had in December. Smitty is useless as a helper unless it means lap sitting to get us to relax but he does prefer Jack to me.

Smitty is so appreciative of all attention and so loving that it does make me furious that someone mistreated him for years and then just let him out in the street to be found by a shelter.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

February 17, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9422232

Pirl - you are right to be furious about the neglect of Smitty. It is truly a loss to the "person (aka "monster")" who shoved him out - probably because he was "too much trouble". Think what that person is missing - the devotion and companionship of a great little guy. I guess that person did not know that if you give love, you get so much more back in return (at least with dogs - does not always work with people). Well, his loss was your great gain (and Smitty's).

Sharon - I am jealous of your temperatures - we had snow two days in a row here in NC and it is in the 30's with a brisk wind. My Charlie (Toy Fox Terrier) does not like cold, but wants his walks anyway. He begs at the door to go out and then shivers badly and wants to come back in (even wearing a little coat). I guess he does not understand seasons. I dislike February (too many grey cold days), but March is coming! My daffodils are up and blooms are forming. A few warmish days and they will be blooming the end of the month - nothing means Spring to me like daffodils!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9435576

I just wanted to say "Smitty" is the best. Now I know a little more about him! The picture you shared with me of you and Jack in Cape cod was really liked by me a lot.

A little late to the draw on this older thread,... but that last picture sent of of you guys with Smitty could still be a fun addition for someone other then me too!

It is clear that Arlene knows how to start a good conversation?

Wishing you an early Spring!

David
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9435650

Thanks, David.

This afternoon Jack went for a dental visit so I dropped him off and went shopping for all things gardening related. It's such a good feeling. Smitty stayed home but his cute little face in the glass door to the garage was such a welcoming sight. He was more excited than a kid on Christmas morning. Then he grabbed his squeaky orange bone (toy) and we had to have a game of me trying to get it as he "growled" and ran. It's debatable who enjoys it more!

Smitty is doing so well and we're so happy for him. Jack is doing very well and Smitty and I are grateful for that!

David, here's the photo you liked. I may have posted it on a former Smitty thread since it's from last September.

Thumbnail by pirl

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9435662

I'll bet someone else will like seeing Smitty on this thread again too with you guys.

Starting to move some things in today before tommorrows freeze warnings come true. Coleus family first!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9435670

I hope so!

That must be a touch of angst. My coleuses are all indoors up here on the "frozen tundra" (as someone implied years ago, not on this thread). I took cuttings and potted them up over three days this week. I could spend another day doing more but somehow the steam runs out after three days!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9435704

Just snapped a pic of a few by the front door...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9435739

Arlene, I'm so glad to hear Jack is doing well. That is funny about Smitty and his toy. Teddy at work does that too. He loves to play chase me. Many days I want to take him home - he is just such a good boy.

I bought some herb seeds yesterday - I'm hoping to get them started in the kitchen window.

David, that is quite the picture! I hope your plants make it through the cold weather.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9435766

Lovely atmosphere, David. It all looks so serene and I do love your coleus bonsai specimens.

Thanks for letting me know that Teddy does it as well, Elsie. It's such fun. Almost like having another grandson without college tuition in his future! When he gets very serious about "catch me" (or maybe tired) he hides under Jack's chair. He's too cute! Note that he left his blue rubber bonie behind!

That photo was from last October because I don't have new ones only due to the fact that the computer and camera are at odds. If anyone knows what is meant by the second fullscreen photo here, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it. I know it can't mean the digital card is full since there are only about 50 photos on it and it holds over 200. I don't have a card reader and don't want one since it would be major work when late June arrives and I take about 900 photos of Japanese irises that week.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9435770

Actually the wrong picture and most of the coleus are in the garage Elsie. Herbs started in a kitchen window are fun...Just seeing the first pop up before coffee that morning!

(The picture I meant to send)

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9435785

Zounds! That reminds me of when Dale sent me a box of cuttings. It took me days to get them all planted.

Thumbnail by pirl

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9435806

David it is still amazing.

Arlene, Teddy will get under the small sofa in the office and he barely gets under there now but that's where he gets away. I wonder if your camera needs to be reinstalled to your computer. On the drop down menu at top - is your camera there? If you can't get it to work - ask over on the computer forum. They are very helpful.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9435876

Smitty had hit 18 pounds so then I cut back a little on his meals or he'd eventually be unable to fit under the chair.

The camera is on my system and I installed the program (again) today. I'll try the computer forum but generally the answer is to get a card reader and I don't want one. Thanks for the helping hand, Elsie.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 1, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9436037

We have been having beautiful weather. A week ago today I did something to my sacroiliac. I was getting fig vine roots out of a low large 42" pot. The pot was to heavy to lift so I was pulling and twisting the roots to get them out. I was sitting on the courtyard patio slate and it took close to 2 hours for me to finish the removal. I did not feel anything at that time or when I got up but about 2 hours later I could barely walk. And if I did, it was generally accompanied with a muffled pain moan. This whole thing set off my sciatica. It has been a long time since I have had sciatica pain and I had forgotten had painful it is and I want it to go away and never come back. I think I did not get my muscles warmed up enough and that is what caused the problem.

The puppies were alarmed with my moans. Getting off the couch or getting into bed was very painful. They would just stand somewhere close by and give me the "What's wrong mom" look. The pain came in spasms so there was not an easy way to hold back the sounds. So now we have had beautiful weather for a week and I have been here nursing my sacroiliac. Oh whoa is me...I did get both of my socks on today without any pain. Yahoo.

I ordered my coleus again this year from Rosy Dawn and they will be here the week of April 15th. I did not get Black Beauty because they were sold out.

Arlene, I am so glad all three of you are doing fine. I had the schnauzers groomed Wednesday and when they are groomed they are weighed. Cecil weighs 16 pounds and had lost 1/2 a pound. Emma, weighed 18 pounds and had gained close to a pound. I watched them eat yesterday.

Yes, Emma is a bully. She would eat about 1/2 of her food and then move over and she and Cecil would finish his. Then Cecil would walk away and then she would go back to her bowl. Shame on her.

Hugs to all of you, Sharon

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
3:56 AM

Post #9436230

Arlene,
You could have opened shop with all those cuttings Ha!
Great pick of Smitty under the chair and I wish I could help with that 2nd picture but can't...sorry!

Are you usually happy with the Coleus' from Rosy Dawn Sharon?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9436366

Sharon - so sorry to hear of your sciatic problem. Any nerve issue is horrific pain so I wish you the best of luck in getting rid of it. I've had two major incidents with it in the last 8 years and recovery, for me, was not swift...about two months. No medicine was of any value. Just rest and heat on the nerve will help. The advice I got from my PT was to never stay in one position for more than five minutes. He's a gardener and should know better: how can we work for five minutes, as you were doing, stop and then return for five minutes? We gardeners get crazed and determined to do a job and five minute limitations would be unthinkable.

Emma sounds like a terror with food while Cecil is docile - a perfect gentleman.

Hope you feel better soon and relieve the pups of their anxiety.

David - I've loved every Rosy Dawn order I've received and if I said I had any complaint at all, I'd be lying. They are perfect plants, sent in ideal packaging and as fresh as can be when they arrive.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9436536

That really is good news to me Arlene,...I've been looking to order some new stock and Rosy Dawn have a few that are really calling to me.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9436547

You'll love reading the reviews of DG people on Garden Watchdog and I'm sure you'll be equally delighted with your plants:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3609/#axzz2MPJgINmu
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 2, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9437010

i love Rosy Dawn. By the time there are any coleus to buy in Las Vegas it is already to hot and then there are none of the plants I want.

Arlene, I have been using heat today. A little better today so I think with another week I should be ready to go. And for my sake, we are having high winds and lower temperatures just to keep me out of the garden. I have been reading many articles on this problem and it sounds like I should have warmed up. I was in the courtyard which is cooler and sitting on cold slate. You all have a great Sunday.. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9437016

We all want sciatica to disappear faster than it arrived but it doesn't work that way. The nerve is irritated and we pay the price.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9439642

Pirl, did reinstalling the camera software help? For me, that message pops up any time there's a problem with the computer "talking" to the camera (or memory card or photo file via the network). Sometimes it's just that I don't have a good connection with the cable between the camera and the computer (is that how you get your photos to the computer?)... so if reinstalling the software didn't help, it could be there's something wrong with the connection (either the connector bits or the cable between them). It's not that helpful as "error messages" go, because I don't think it distinguishes between software & hardware issues.

I'm not sure why you think a card reader would be extra work, but maybe your current setup is different than mine. To get photos from the memory card when it's still in the camera, I can connect a cable between the camera & a USB port. I can just leave the cable connected to the computer and shove the other end into the camera as needed.

To get photos with a card reader, I plug the reader into the USB port, pop the memory card out of the camera, and shove it into the appropriate slot. Both our regular computer & my laptop actually have card reader slots right on them, making it even easier. I'm not sure there are more steps involved than in not using a card reader, although maybe you have one of the cameras with a little "docking station" connection?

Anyway, let's fix the problem so we get cute Smitty pictures this spring! :-)

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 5, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9439824

I was wondering that also. I have a new Apple laptop and I actually got a Memory card reader. I was having problems with my cord. I went to purchase a new one and the young "Nerd" there told me not to bother, just get a reader. I love it and it is so easy.

So I guess Pirl needs to explain why she wants to be tied down by the cord.

BTW, I was a Nerd. I actually think calling some one a "Nerd" is a compliment.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9439839

I am flatly a nerd...no question! Wish I could have helped Arlene...

Looking forward to new "Smitty" pics around your gardens should Spring ever get here for sure!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9439904

Thanks for the help, Crit, Sharon and David, who tries so hard and is always so encouraging.

Crit - no, installing the hardware just gave the same message. I am so happy to know you get the message as well. At least I don't feel so all alone with my problem. It's clear you know a lot more about how these things work but it's so frustrating right now...and for the last few months. The computer is new and I guess if I tried the same way as always but used my daughter's computer, I might find out it's not me but some other issue.

Thanks for the explanation of how a card reader works! I thought the card had to go in the computer and couldn't even find a port for it.

I don't want to have to remove the card continually. It would have me crazed on my busy photography days.

So, does either the Sun Disk or the 128-MB USB Micro-Thin Drive have any abilities to solve the problem? I don't know what they are, how I'd use them or where I got them.

"Docking station connection"? Sorry, I really don't know what that is.

Sharon - right now I wish I were a nerd! At least I'd know what I was doing. It's not that I want to be tied down but I just can't be removing and replacing the card as much as I would be during the heavy photography season.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9439977

One of the main camera companies, Kodak maybe, was/is making cameras they called "easyshare." I think it sat in a little cradle-like device (like your cordless phone does) that was connected to an outlet to recharge the battery and also connected to the computer.. instead of plugging in cables, you were supposed to just set the camera down on its cradle (aka "docking station").

With or without a card reader, I think you need a bigger memory card. They've come down in price remarkably in the last couple of years. My DH (definitely a nerd, and we're both geeks too, although I'd be hard pressed to explain why I consider myself more a geek than a nerd LOL)... anyway, he keeps an eye out for sales on the "fast" kind (quick working speed while I'm taking photos and the camera is storing them), and now I have a couple of 16 G cards. You won't believe how many photos those will hold! Suffice it to say, I can get around the Philly Flower Show and not have to switch cards. :-) More a problem for me now is being "good" about regularly uploading them from the camera to the computer.

Since you mentioned that the computer is new, I suspect it's a problem with the software and not the hardware (eg, not the camera/computer cable). See if you can find a version number on the software... the camera manufacturer should know if it's compatible with the operating system on your new computer. There have been *major* changes with the last couple of OS releases... the new version of Windows refuses to work with a good number of older programs. If that's the case, you can re-install and replace things until the cows come home, and you'll still get that message that basically means "eh?? what are you talking about? I don't 'see' any files like that!"

Sometimes manufacturers of cameras & other devices will have updated (downloadable) software (a new "version" or a new "release") so that your older camera and your newer computer can still connect meaningfully. Otherwise, you really are stuck with using a card reader... but trust me, you'll be flipping that card in & out just as quickly as you were connecting and disconnecting that cable. Check your new computer -- it may have a built-in card reader, in which case it's super easy to at least see if that would solve the problem. You're looking for a thin slot that you can shove your memory card into... gently... if it doesn't go easily, you've got the wrong slot or the card is upside down.

I would suggest getting a memory card reader ASAP (if your computer doesn't have one) just to make sure all your photo files are being recorded all right. It's always good to have more than one way to get your photos off your camera, in my experience!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9440040

Don't run off screaming in horror as I tell you we only have a land line and no cell phones. They don't work out here. We tried in storm Sandy, with our neighbor's phone, but couldn't get anything. Now I know what you mean by the docking station. I had one with my first digital.

My card is the second largest they make and stores around 300 - 350 photos before I have to put them on the computer.

A friend did send me a link to check the compatibility and it's fine for all Fuji cameras.

My issue with getting the card in and out, repeatedly, to check for the perfect lighting, etc., is that I have the tremors and I've had the card go flying on me before. My hands shake on a normal day but when I'm tense it's worse. I did check the computer and there are no slots nearly big enough to hold the card.

Next time my granddaughter comes out from the city I'll get her to help me out. She's a whiz at these things but seldom leaves her beloved NYC.

Thank you, so very much, for all of your help. It's all so massively confusing to me.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9440139

Major miracle!

I took this photo about 20 minutes ago and I thank critterologist, Sharon and David for your faith in me. It was the Sun Disk that I've had all along that was the answer. It was upside down on my desk and on the back it said "card reader". I could figure it out for myself but had to use a metal pick to get the card out, then didn't have a port to connect so I had to remove the one for the mouse.

Thank you - or thankyaverymuch In Elvis talk!

Thumbnail by pirl

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 5, 2013
10:00 PM

Post #9440258

Great news. All these great minds sent our vibes across the universe and Pirl picked them up and success. I am a Nerd. No way a Geek. I have to call the "Geek Squad or my 16 yer old grandson.

Smitty you look so handsome. Thank you so much for the card. Aunt Sharon and your cousins, Cecil & Emma.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
10:49 PM

Post #9440272

Hooray!

I do understand about handing those little cards! Sounds like the Sun Disc is only a temporary solution. I'm still not sure if it's a hardware or a software problem with connecting the camera directly to the computer... If you can get the camera & cable connected successfully to another computer, then you'll know it's not the cable, and you probably need a software update. Or, you can purchase a new cable (preferably returnable in case you don't need it), you can try again to connect to your computer -- if it works, the cable was the problem.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9440405

Thanks for the support. When it first happened the computer guy and I could see the machine starting to get the photos but then the dreaded message came up. I quickly hit the "print screen" to capture what I saw, figuring it did accept the camera and it has to accept it because it recognizes Google and Picasa is part of Google.

I'm adding the additional screen captures here in case anyone can assist. It seems I have to find the magic "My Computer" and even with the help of a 17 year old on DG, I couldn't find it.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl      

bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9440494

Great picture of Smitty. I've been longing to see a new one. Thanks so much. Betty
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9440546

Thanks, Betty. Now that I can use the camera again there will be more photos of our cutie pie.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013

Post #9440974

Arlene, try hitting your START then on the top right of the pop-up will be My Computer. Will that help?

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9440998

Just saying Hey!...and wishing you success in solving the problem along with all the good folk trying to help.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9441061

Thanks, Celia. Tried it and there are two columns. The right column begins with Owner, Document, Pictures, Music...
It's doing a great job of hiding on me!

Hi David. Computers are my grief, not weeds and certainly not Smitty.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9441097

Once Spring gets here and you can get back to growing, everything will seem brighter with or without the computer!
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9441128

Arlene, I have had my camera not show up as the device on picassa before too. Last night I unplugged the USB hub I have and plugged the cord from my camera directly into the USB on the computer - and there was my camera on the drop down menu on the picassa page. I plugged the cord into the computer and then turned the camera on - it recognized my camera then. have no idea why this happens.

When I open my computer I don't see what you would be looking for either. maybe your camera folder?

I hope you are able to figure this out.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9441294

David - it was my love of photography that led me to flowers and gardens so I doubt I could ever be content without my camera nearby. All seems well now with the card reader (though I still hate removing the card) but I found three more that I've received as gifts so I am coping. I can use the port on the computer for the external hard drive but then have to remember to plug it in again to continue to save my photos as a back-up.

The computer now recognizes the camera, Elsie, but only via the card reader. Maybe I should find the manual that came with the computer...never even thought of that! Thanks, Elsie.

Smitty didn't "do" snow when I started this thread...but he does now! These were taken the morning of the big snow. It took him all of one minute and 10 seconds to leave some yellow snow behind him.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl      

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2013
5:16 AM

Post #9441598

I'd be lost withou my camera too and know what you're saying...

"I've had enough of that" says Smitty! Great sequence pics and Wow the snow!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9441653

It's so much fun to capture a sight and keep it forever. I must have taken 40 or 50 shots of this icicle, determined to get one drop falling, and finally it happened. Many might call it "luck" but I call it perseverance.

Thumbnail by pirl

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 7, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9441763

Pirl, go into Google search and type in My Computer. Then you will get many areas to choose from. Just find your type of computer and it will tell you how to find it and where it is. I am on a Mac.

Great job on the icicle drop. And it is so great that we can now cancel and delete any photos we do not want or like.

Have a great day everyone. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9441767

Thanks, Sharon. I'll certainly give it a try.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9441790

I couldn't get it. I can get "Computer" but not the magic "MY Computer".

Thumbnail by pirl

bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9442108

Those pictures of Smitty just show the absolute healing power of love and trust. God bless you for what you two have done; it's so heartwarming to see his transformation.

Betty
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9442115

We both went with him to the garage door that leads to the dog's pen. When I opened the door I thought it would have to be shoveled or he couldn't make it outside but he plunged right in and knew exactly how to proceed. He's a gem, Betty. He actually did better in snow than if it had been rain.

Now he's eager to go for a ride and even goes to the dump in the truck. When we first brought him home he remained behind the passenger seat and wouldn't budge. He has come a long way.

Thumbnail by pirl

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9442280

Smitty would have licked those drops as they fell if he could Arlene...Great catch in that pic'!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9442295

He did very well with the leftovers of whipped cream tonight!

Thanks, David. It was a fun experience to catch the drop.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9442382

Love that picture in the car.

Have you gone to start and tried help and support to find my computer?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9442689

Thanks, Elsie.

I have and can't locate it through help and support. I'll call my computer guy today.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 8, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9443409

Well Pirl, how did your search go.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9443599

Hi Pirl,

How do your usually connect your camera to your computer? On that first image you posted - your camera needs to show up in the drop down menu at the top.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9443632

Still no luck, Sharon, and I forgot to call the computer guy!

Elsie - I connect with the cord. The camera still does not show up in that box but at least I can get it to work.

Due to Jack's hospitalization, we celebrated Christmas on January 25th and Smitty loved his new orange boney but isn't really thrilled with his rain jacket.

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9443653

Love those photos!

I checked my computer - where it lists -
shared documents, Loretta's documents
local disk (c:)
devices with removable storage
dvd drive (D:)
c drive (C:)
this is where the camera drive should be listed when you have the camera plugged in.

I think this is where one of your screen shots is asking you to go to. You posted a screen shots where it showed your removable storage. I wonder if your cord isn't working right. Have you tried unplugging it and trying it again - then turning your camera on?

I really think your have found where everything should be but your camera is not popping up. I would think you would get a new hardware message if your camera was not recognized by your computer.

I can't think of anything else.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9443680

Thanks! I never thought of plugging in the camera and then checking devices. I'll do it now and be right back to give a report.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9443687

Success! It shows up but I don't know if that means I can just use my camera, with the cord, to get photos or not. I'll have to give it a try.

Just tried it and it still won't work via the cord, only by the card reader.

Thumbnail by pirl

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9443696

Arlene, I guess I don't understand. What photos are you trying to get?
Back on the 6th you posted a screen shot - picture #3. These are the instructions where you were looking for the my computer - you can do that in this window today.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9443729

I'm trying to get the camera to work with the computer by using the cord as opposed to the card reader.

The message you mentioned (above, March 6th, 3rd one) tells me:

You might try this in Windows XP (but I have Windows 8) to reset the program that will launch when your camera is connected to your computer:

"To set the auto launch program when you plug in your camera follow these steps:

Open My Computer..."

That's where the problem comes in since I can't find "My Computer". I had it on the old computer and could find it fast but not on this one.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9443760

It's just not called My Computer. You had it where you had computer on March 7. I think your camera should show up under removable storage. You need to have your camera plugged into the computer and the camera turned on.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9443762

The camera did show up as the item on the bottom, shown in the post above at 11:04 this morning.

Thank you for telling me that Computer is the same on this machine as "My Computer" used to be. Now I can go forward with the rest of their directions. Thanks, Elsie!
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9443776

Arlene, I think you need to go back to march 7 11:23 - that is your computer.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9443823

The camera does show up. No matter how often I tried the camera just kept making noises I can't even imitate but then I get the same old screen giving me the same old message.

Elsie, I really do appreciate your trying to help me. This seems to be a job for my computer guy. He said to just use a card reader so maybe my talented granddaughter can figure this out. Thank you so much for your patience and trying so hard to help me.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

July 11, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9595669

I may be using the wrong thread to ask about Smitty and how he is doing (there may be a later one). but this is the one I found. I hope he is still doing well (along with his human family). I recently met a Havanese and was enchanted with the breed.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9595687

You're on the right thread! They are charming dogs but I find most dogs charming unless their teeth are chomping into my hand!

Tomorrow it will be exactly one year since Smitty arrived and we became fast friends with our wonderful vet.

I'll start a new Smitty thread tomorrow to celebrate.

Thanks for the interest in him.

To Elsie and all who helped with the computer and photos: I found I did have a never used card reader and though I find it annoying I do use it. Thanks so much for all your help. DG people are just the best!

Just look how he teases me. What an imp! If I dared to try and get that silly orange bonie he'd either run away with it or take it under Jack's chair.

Thumbnail by pirl

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9595721

Hi Arlene. I haven't forgotten you and am happy all is well.

David
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9595737

Thanks! All is well and the gardens have never looked better.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 11, 2013
9:01 PM

Post #9595897

Looks forward to Smitty's one year with my new family photos. Hugs, Sharon

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9596220

Yeah for Smitty and his human family!!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9596350

Forgot to say Smitty is looking as dapper as ever and that is a beeyouteeful rug to boot!
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9598009

I've so been missing news of Smitty. Glad to hear he's celebrating an anniversary in his forever home.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9598028

Thanks, Betty. There was a lot of gardening to do today while it was 70 degrees, mostly cloudy with some rain this morning, before the 90 degree days hit us (again) beginning tomorrow. Of course, Smitty couldn't care less. He loves the ceramic tile floors that stay nice and cool. That's where he rests from taking his naps. What a life!

He really is so funny. He has taken to barking for the last few nights when it's his bedtime and the door to the kitchen, where he sleeps, is closed. He had us thinking something strange was going on so we'd go in and check, turn on lights, look outside, find nothing but give him a reward for barking. He's no fool! So now he barks so he'll get a reward. Smart little imp!

I'll be able to resume the Smitty Saga tomorrow while enjoying the AC. See you all then.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

October 12, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9684458

It's October. Time for an update on Smitty - has he been on any more trips?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9684535

Yes, stillwood! He's been to Maine and he was on Cape Cod, again, in September.

He's also been at the vet's every other Wednesday for months now. He only missed two Wednesdays due to the vacations.

I'll update ASAP.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9707049

Our Smitty is still adorable but also still has his health issues and allergies.

Jack underwent emergency surgery early in the morning on 12/21/12 and was not expected to live, per the doctor. He was released on 1/1/2013, our 22nd wedding anniversary, and is in excellent health now. Smitty was one very lonely dog and missed Jack terribly. It was heartbreaking to see him at the door patiently waiting.

The joy of both Smitty and Jack, upon Jack's return from the hospital, was a tearjerker for all of us.

Jack walks Smitty every morning and Smitty is more agreeable to walking than ever before. We still go to the vet very frequently (every other week from July to October) and gradually his medicines are being reduced but he will remain on Prednisone daily for life. Now he is itch-free but still has two fungal issues that are being treated and dosages are minimal now.

He loved his ferry trips this summer, his car rides and his soft frozen yogurt and Jack's lap. He still sits under Jack's chair to be sure he never leaves for another 11 day hospital stay again!

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9707096

Great pictures Arlene!! I love his spot in the car. I'm glad Jack is well - he sure looks happy with his pup.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9707120

Thanks, Elsie. Once Jack starts the car Smitty knows he has to go in the back but he goes on the floor as close as he can get to being underneath Jack.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2013
3:45 AM

Post #9707278

Good to hear that all is well at your house. Smitty is such a good boy!
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2013
4:07 AM

Post #9707283

Hooray, news about Smitty. I've been missing hearing about him. Thanks for the update. Jack and Smitty are quite the team; it appears they really love each other. There's nothing like the love of a true and faithful companion.

Betty
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9707491

He is good and very faithful. I get the love and devotion every morning and night when it's time for food!

My daughter-in-law laughed when I announced it was "dinnertime" and Smitty was the first one to head to the dining room! He does it every night even though he has his dinner an hour before we have ours.
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2013
3:29 AM

Post #9708014

They sure do make us smile, don't they?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Does Anyone Show Dogs?? momcat 154 Jul 29, 2009 9:01 PM
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? gardenwife 20 Oct 2, 2009 7:10 PM
mourning DawnG 26 Jul 16, 2010 10:38 AM
Bertha got a hair cut!! MOLLYBEE 10 Aug 8, 2011 11:49 AM
Fritzie meets (& almost eats) Santa Claus Buttoneer 22 Sep 3, 2009 11:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America