Smitty doesn't "do" rain, sleet, or snow!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

He does do this pose while I eat dinner, just waiting for me to give him some forbidden fruit.

All through Sandy and the latest storm, Athena, he barely would leave the garage for fear of getting wet feet.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Oh my he is just too cute! I'm so glad the storms are behind us. I've had enough. Thanks for the new thread Arlene.

Madison, AL

Pirl - he apparently does not like to get wet. But you say he goes to shower with you. Does he get in the shower with you? Maybe, if so, that is different in his mind from a cold rain.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

He is just so adorable, happy to see your on your new laptop Arlene. Have a Happy Day and enjoy the nice weather coming our way, time to break out the short sleeve blouses and this is how everyone gets sick.
Have a great weekend everyone !!!!!
Christine

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

What a cutie! Wet feet? No one likes wet feet. How dare you make him go out in wet weather! Poor little fella! You'll have to get him some rubber boots! LOL

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

Boy, that Smitty is just as adorable as ever. Betty

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

It looks like Smitty will have several days of dry weather - good for him!

Thanks, everyone, for the sweet comments about Smitty. I am 100% sure he was raised in a condo or apartment and never went outdoors unless he was going for a ride. He does love both the car and the truck.

He doesn't come with me willingly when it's shower time. I bribe him with one of his Prescription Diet snacks and scoop him up in my arms as I already have the tub filling with nice warm water. (If I were a cruel person I'd turn on the jets but then any resulting blood would be my own fault.) Then comes the moment when we enter the bathroom and it's "Foiled again, Batman". He looks so vulnerable in the tub but doesn't make a sound or misbehave. When he is done with the whole routine he looks like a very clean drowned black & white rat but he dries himself off because he doesn't want me wrapping him in a towel. His face in the first photo (after a bath) doesn't exactly portray his love for me but I can't blame him. I hesitated to post the second picture because it's so blurry (since I wasn't dressed and didn't have a towel around me) but it shows how pathetic he looks when he's trapped in the top praying for really long legs.

Butterfly Chaser - the scene at Petco was so hysterical when we tried to get boots to fit his wide (and fluffy) paws. I laughed so hard I thought I'd wet the floor! Anyhow, it just didn't work out for him or for us. To fit his feet he needed boots fit for a St. Bernard and that's probably the one Smitty was praying to in order to escape the ordeal.

He will walk about 10 steps on wet grass but pavement is still the issue with him. I guess three years of never touching pavement left a bad lasting impression. He still greets the outdoors with a sense of wonder about this great new wonderful world but getting him to move takes unbelievable patience. He checks out every tree, every passing car or person, every flower - it takes great patience (and about ten minutes) to get him to the end of the driveway (no, it's not a 900' driveway!) whether he walks on the driveway or on the grass.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone. As Christine said, many of us will be wearing summer clothing we haven't worn in quite some time so be careful...and Smitty adds, "Don't get your feet wet".

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Adorable Arlene. Our dogs get very little rain to walk in and they do not like it. Dogs are such a joy. I cannot imagine a life without one.

We have a little chill in the air but I have promised myself I will never complain about the weather after watching what all you went through.

Have a great day, stay safe and warm. Hugs, Sharon

I love dogs' reactions to things. The 6 month old pup across the street is Primo, a chocolate lab. Here I was thinking I'm strong but no match for him when he jumped on me today. I finally got him to lie down for a good belly rub and then escaped!

We're due for some nice warm weather (high 60's) so you can bet I'll be in the garden. Smitty won't come with me and has no interest in plants or gardening but neither did Harry.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Poor Smitty! If Sam were here, he'd agree with him--baths are not for dogs! NO way, NO how! He wouldn't even willingly enter the "torture chamber". If I made the mistake of mentioning a bath, his hair would stand up as he looked for a place to hide. He would be 90 lbs of stubborn determination when I'd drag him to the bathroom. Yet, the ornery cuss would happily wade in the muddy ditch behind our house!

Nikko too avoids the "torture chamber". Nothing good happens there, he's certain. So Nikko sends his sympathies to Smitty. He said he'd share his bone with Smitty to help him get over the horrible ordeal.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Nikko is also adorable. Love those blue eyes.

Pirl, I had the same encounter with a chocolate lab puppy that lives on the street behind us across the greenbelt. He was hopping around and so happy to see me but I was moving away. His owner told me he was harmless. I told her I knew that but he could knock me down very easily with his happiness.

This is our cat Izzy's first winter with wind and leaves falling. She is driving herself nuts. She goes out in the landscape with me and she thinks every flying leaf is an insect. She bouncing all over the landscape capturing every leaf that flies by. She is absolutely hilarious but confused.

Nikko is so beautiful, BC. Dogs treat the tub as torture but they seem so happy when they're clean and dry.

That's funny about you and the Lab puppy, Sharon! They are so strong! Love the cat story! Get some photos of Izzy catching leaves. Too funny!

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

How I enjoy reading all the wonderful stories everyone posts, Smitty is even cuter wet and Nikko is beautiful.

The pet stories are great fun and such a relief from the storm horrors on TV.

Smitty was put on steroids last week and an antibiotic (again) for his problems. Now he takes more medicines than can be believed. This morning I forgot his allergy pill but realized it just as he returned from his morning walk. He got so excited when he saw me take out the dog food can but it was only to give him a bit of the food with the allergy pill inside of it. He has this automatic refrigerator alarm bell and neither of us can open it without seeing Smitty suddenly appear with his hopeful face. Pathetic!

On my own I decided to try Amalactin (not a Rx) on Smitty's very dry skin on his back. My dermatologist had recommended it for my upper arms (known as wingspans at a certain age) and it worked for me so I thought it was worth a try for Smitty since he rolled on his back so often to try and get relief and no medicine helped it. I am NOT telling anyone to go against doctor's orders but this stuff worked miracles for him and he very seldom rolls around trying to scratch his own back anymore.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Arlene, thanks for that tip, I will tell my friend about it, her poor baby suffers so and the meds the vet has given her just dont seem to be helping a whole lot, this is Maggie Mae & Dutchess

Looks like Dutch's eyes are going to pop out of her head LOL

This message was edited Nov 11, 2012 8:02 AM

Thumbnail by jasminesmom Thumbnail by jasminesmom

TOO sweet for words. They are both so adorable and so huggable!

I checked Smitty's back earlier today and there is no flaking so I'll keep on using the AMLACTIN. I may have misspelled it in a previous post. I just read the ingredients, cautions and directions. Your friend can go to amlactin.com for more information. I never got any itching, peeling, redness, swelling, etc. from it and really wondered if it was even working for me...and then I felt my arm after my shower (alone) after I used the towel and it was silky smooth. Smitty hasn't had any problems with it and he is one super-allergic dog!

Here's the link: http://amlactin.com/

The Amlactin site was interesting and I viewed their other products as well. Then I realized I hadn't given the full name of the product so here it is:
http://amlactin.com/product/amlactin-moisturizing-body-lotion

It's the "moisturizing body lotion" that Smitty and I share.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much Arlene, I forwarded all the info to my friend..

Even as of this morning, Smitty's skin is not flaking and he's not rolling around on his back. He must feel great relief so I'll keep using it after every bath. I prefer something like that to the many medications he is currently taking.

He really is a very funny dog. He finds Jack each morning (I keep the door shut until I know Jack is awake) and then it becomes this grand reunion site as though Jack has been away for a month. Then Jack gets into the shower and Smitty takes off! He must think Jack is crazy to willingly and happily get into the shower. It's so funny to see him run out of the bathroom and run back to safety in the kitchen.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

LOL, they are such characters, I can never understand a house being a home without a dog or cats in spite of the hair, I think it sometimes adds a bit of flavor to food, it cant be helped and I warn everyone that comes over to dine LOL I say its good for the digestive system a little bit of roughage is good.

If a person can't stand to see a bit of hair or fur then they should not come to my home. Smitty is more important to my life than the nitpickers could ever be.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I feel that way about my furbabies too, Arlene. And non-animal lovers just don't get it. I personally don't think a house is a home without a little fur flying.

My babies get van rides too, and humans snarl their noses at the hair left on the leather seat covers and carpet. It's just hair! It's not a roach or a rat; it won't bite! People forget that they themselves shed...sometimes in the food we're eating!

We enjoy having Smitty along for rides just as we did with Harry. Pets don't argue, don't fuss, don't ask, "Are we there yet?", don't snap gum, don't wear perfume or after shave and they don't text! Many people have worse manners than any pets.

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

Amen. I don't know how I'd live without my hounds. They are so loving and easy going.

It's probably the unconditional love, total devotion and the 100% trust they place in us that makes me a pet lover.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

My mother told me as a kid that if a person doesnt like dogs or animals there's something wrong with them and to stay away from them, BOY were you right Mom...

I agree!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Quote from pirl :
We enjoy having Smitty along for rides just as we did with Harry. Pets don't argue, don't fuss, don't ask, "Are we there yet?", don't snap gum, don't wear perfume or after shave and they don't text! Many people have worse manners than any pets.

Gotta argue with you on that one, Arlene. My Nikko argues. I tell him he can't go this time and he INSISTS. He blocks the door so I can't get out unless he gets out first. More than once he has snuck past me and then took off thru the neighborhood, just to prove that he IS going.

Today, he saw a cat on my side of the van and nearly punctured one of my lungs trying to crawl over me and out the driver's window WHILE I was driving.

And at McDonalds, he insists that the lady in the window forgot his ice cream. "She did too. Everytime we come here, Mom orders me an ice cream and you're supposed to hand it out the window. So where's my ice cream?? Go back and get my ice cream; I'll wait right here. Well...where is it???" He tries to stare her down, but she closes the window in his face. Shhhhhh, don't tell him that "Mom" forgot to order his ice cream today! We'll just let him think that the lady in the window forgot.

And bad manners...Nikko has one terrible manner--he's too nosy--putting that nose in places it was never meant to go. Anyone coming thru the door has to pass the sniff test. My roommate learned to knee him down when he comes toward her. So he got smart and beat her at her own game. He let her pass by him and then rammed her from behind. The surprise about knocked her over. So now she just thinks he's a nosy brat. LOL

I'm blessed to have Smitty. We never get an argument from him and he doesn't do sniff tests. He does love fat free frozen yogurt but only on vacation.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Hey Arlene, how are things on your end of the Island? I hope & pray for all of you that someone does something with LIPA, sinful what they have gotten away with. What are your plans for Thanksgiving? I'm going over to a friends and doing alot of the cooking, I'll be maiking my pecan & pumpkin pies on Tuesday to get them out of the way.... I cant wait !!!! P.S. Dutchess will be coming with me :>)

What are everyone's plans?

Christine

Thanks for asking, Christine. We're fine but so many are still without power, probably due to downed trees. Yesterday we were out working on the raspberry patch and the smell of gas from the chain saws was in the air. It felt like if someone went to light their grill the whole neighborhood would go up in flames.

If you really want that pecan pie to "get them out of the way" you can send it down here! Enjoy the day and the pies.

We're going out for Thanksgiving - no cooking or cleaning but no leftovers to enjoy either.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Vern, my DH had eye surgery for a detached retina in Friday. He is suppose to be face down for at least 5 more days. We were going to our daughters but we have decided it is best and easier to stay home.

Vern's daughter has been here for two days and is leaving in the morning. Just a fluke she was on her way here when the emergency showed up hours before she landed.

Our older schnauzer, Jordan, died last Sunday evening. He was 14 1/2 and will be missed immensely by me. I gave the puppies their bath today and it was the first time Jordan was not here to enjoy his bath. He loved his bath and our walks.

Two granddaughter are coming home from college Wednesday for the weekend. They will come over and cheer grandmother up.

Have a great week and hug each other. Sharon

I'm so very sorry about Jordan, Sharon. The death of a beloved pet is so hard to take and only time helps heal the wound. You have my sympathy.

Poor Vern! I hope he recovers with great speed. Jack has the same problem but it isn't serious enough yet to warrant surgery. I can't imagine being face down for five days.

Enjoy the granddaughters and your Thanksgiving, no matter where or how you spend it. You can be thankful for all the years of companionship Jordan gave you, among other things.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

So, how was your Thanksgiving Arlene?? Mine was delicious and a good time with good friends..
This is the turkey my friend made, I'll be making soup today YUMMY !!!!

Thumbnail by jasminesmom

That looks heavenly. Turkey soup is good but the smell of it cooking is so wonderful.

We went out for dinner but I gardened in the morning and after we got home. I worked so hard that I slept 11.5 hours. It's a wonder Smitty didn't come in to wake me up today.

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving Day. The weather was so gorgeous!

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

I spoke to my friends on the Island yesterday morning and they were out raking leaves, today it was 55 up here, crazy weather. Glad you had a great day :>) Smitty was tired too !!!

It's been so glorious. From Sunday through today I've worked in the garden for 35.5 hours and loved it.

Smitty is a foodie. Just opening the refrigerator door sends off an alarm to him to see what I'm doing. He is so adorable.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Today is the last day living in the bedroom. Vern is suppose to stay quiet so I have been the mean nurse since Friday a week ago today telling him what to do. Except for leaving the bedroom to take the dogs for their walks, or make him something to eat I have been in the over stuffed chair. Way to much football and my back is not happy. I have not sat this still ever in my life. He can get up and move around starting tomorrow.

We have been in the 70s and I have not been near my garden.

This is a turkey breast with chicken legs/thighs on each side. Dressing (stuffing) was underneath. Dressing was magnificent because it basically fried in the turkey fat.

My puppies do the same thing with the refrigerator but they only get carrots or small red, yellow & orange peppers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.