-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9328236

Gwen, thanks for taking the time to write about the little Downy. We have them year around, and they have been here for years. I so enjoy learning more about the backyard songbirds.

We used to have the Hairy and the Flicker. The Red Headed woodpecker would stop by occasionally. I miss them. We actually see the Flicker more in the winter time.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9328306

Hi birder! I adore the little downy who visits my suet feeder periodically in the summer and regularly in the winter. I'm a zone north of you but see the same kinds. We also have visits from the red-headed woodpecker and a flicker -- but they are much more shy than the downy. I just stocked up on suet for the winter! Thanks for writing.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9329241

Gwen,
Our Flicker comes frequently to the feeders in the winter.
I make a winter suet mix for our winter birds. I make it all winter long.
I always have difficulty finding raw peanuts. Today, I called five or six places and finally found some raw peanut "bits" at a farm supply store. Now, I won't have to put them through my food processor! I was thrilled to find them. What kind of suet do you use? Special brand?
Although, I love flowers etc., I wish DG would have more articles on the backyard songbirds--or maybe I have missed them.
Do you have a bird book that gives information about the backyards songbirds? I am not too interested in the gulls, on the coast, or the myna bird in the tropics, but I would enjoy learning more about the songbirds.

My Carolina Wren was yakking this evening while I was picking pods off of my hyacinth bean vine.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9329538

I admire you for making your own suet -- I'm sure it's more economical. But I just buy the blocks of suet -- I found a box of 10 at Menards. It should be more than enough for the winter and it's less packaging than buying them singly. This is our suet feeder. It holds two cakes and is so sturdy that we've been using it for going on 20 years.

Two books I've enjoyed and learned a lot from: "Backyard Birds" by Kit and George Harrison, and "The Bird Feeder Book" by Donald and Lillian Stokes. They're older, but you library will likely have them or something like them. Glad you like reading about birds -- I plan to write more "back yard" bird articles in the future.

I think our little wrens are gone south, but we have visits from our usual sparrows. I'm also seeing (and hearing) lots of chickadees.

Thumbnail by gwen21
Click the image for an enlarged view.

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9338397

I will look into the books.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9338406

That looks a really nice suet feeder.
I am thinking about getting one of those that are vertical with a board extending down from the feeder so the woodpecker/s can use their tails for balance.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Visitor: The Downy Woodpecker Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodpeckers gardengirl86 4 Nov 12, 2012 4:13 PM
Downy Babies Sceloporous 2 Nov 16, 2012 2:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America