Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daylilies: Subject of the L.A.

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 19, Views: 303
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9328439

Well the bug bit my thumb!! or I should say my entire hand!!! lol I was wondering if any of you might like to talk or share your experiences from the auction , How well the seeds were or weren't , how some of them worked out or grew or bloomed for you. Just a little light chat without using up other threads.
I have about a dozen growing so far and looking forward to more,always hoping their near but not exactly like parents, Now it sounds like I am talking about the youngsters!lol

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9328557

I got good germination from some and not so good from others. I am guessing that not all the seed are from the current growing season. The harvesting and storage method, along with the weather might have something to do with it. Mike
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9328584

I don't buy much seed from LA but do buy plants and have not had any real bad ones. Most sellers are fairly decent and send generous roots.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9329390

I am a little better with the plants myself , The seeds, Daylily seeds in particular either ""POOF"" and grow for me or they take two up to 6 or 7 months . A couple of months most of the time.
Very finicky sometimes , always worth attempting though.
Thank you for answers ,

I believe this brings us to the conclusion that it is not a bad place to shop and browse
HazelCrestMikeB; How about your blooms from seed crosses obtained at the LA?

I still get to excited! caffeine and waiting!! Every time I browse here DG and there LA I feel like a kid in a candy store, lol
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9329451

With my own seeds that I harvest, I find tetraploids take a bit more time to germinate and sometimes they don't germinate at all. I tried a little trick this past summer. I read somewhere to take a nail file and scape some of the black outer coating off the seed and then plant it. I believe that worked for me. Seemed to have more germination with tets this year than I normally get.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9330658

Juhur7, I am expecting my first ever bloom from seeds purchased on the LA next season if all goes well this winter. Mike

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9333515

I haven't purchased any seeds on the LA before, but pretty much most of the plants I've gotten from various sellers on there have all been good quality plants.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9335713

A couple of the crosses have gotten are for already tried and named plants(Daylilles) I know a couple are Willa Mae Thornton and peaches in bloom or a possible Bermuda peach ?
May or may not happen,yes experiment, seeds. and possibility...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9354214

HERE'S a few seedlings keeping my addiction in control ; pics from me rarely are all that good . still:-)

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9354408

Juhur7, happy for you and the sdlgs. Keep working at the pics. Just play around with the camera, it will get better.
Mike

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9354630

I have a seed buying problem. I keep forgetting they need work after you get them ;-). I actually have gotten to where I like my seedlings better than most new plants. Always something new, as with everyone, the hardest part is culling and its a must. I grow my seedlings in parks sponges and have excellent luck.
I found I saved myself alot of time and money, when I stopped buying crosses with flowers I liked, and looked at the colors first. Most of the time, for instance, a yellow and a pink are going to make brown. Actually alot of stuff makes brown, and I really got bummed with so many mungy colored flowers. If I see a cross and like one of the flowers, lots of time I just go look up the cultivar and just buy it. It can be cheaper than the seeds. This happened the other day. I saw a cross with spacecoast irish illumination and when I read about its plant habits I really wanted those seeds. Bidding got up to where it was cheaper to just buy the plant...and that I did.
I was looking up closed auctions that day and was shocked ( even tho Ive seen it 100 times), at how much of a variance there are in what people pay. One I was looking at, 5 seeds went for 14.00, the very next week, the same five seeds from the same seller went for 48.00. There in lies the problem with seed bidding, it can get away from you. Just always checked the closed auctions first. Another thing about seeds...there is always more where those came from, just look and wait.
I do tend to buy alot of my seeds from Rich, he grows in a greenhouse and is seeds are usually the first seeds of the new year out on the auction. I only have june and july to buy and maybe some of aug., if I want to get them planted so they will bloom that next spring. There are lots of great sellers of seeds tho. Ive been trying to get some of Jamie Gossards, but Im not paying 50$ and up for 5 seeds. The bidding has been nuts. Since I wont see a flower now till spring 2014, I can lay in the weeds on those.

Mike, its going to be fun to see your first seedlings.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9354679

The first ones I bought were a $1.00 the most I went for were 5 seeds for 16.00 I can do a yellow peach from some I have had for a few years. Even if browns or muddled colors the other colors are still there to try for ,hybridizers did not learn what the know overnight. like DNA and physiology understanding can take a while ,it is the other meaning of all this requiring patience..
A couple that were planted this Oct, are still doing just fine outside ,,,it is Feb. that will tell ,and to be of my mind I doubt this winter is going to bother the seedlings at all.These in here with me ,some a little stringy , some like they should be, some are huge, some are small., I bruised a couple moving them and should have waited and will in the future,More than anything though the number of plants you get from seeds are still always a good value for your dollar ,the six plants I get from some of those $1 seeds can't be beat as to that., even if the colors aren't what is expected .
Any that I get near color that cost hundreds are just gravy, only there is a reason that some cost that, you all get it ,i am sure!lol

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9354774

This upcoming season I am going to concentrate on the seeds that I harvested from my garden. If you try to do too much you can get overwhelmed especially if you don't have any help to plant and take care of them. If you are retired, good for you! In most cases you have more time to play with seeds, etc. BTW, I do have some seeds to share. DW is not thrilled that these seeds are taking up one of her fridge drawer.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9354855

I know family gets frustrated at me also , imagine a number of these for winter time!!lol

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      

Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9357276

I plant my seeds in paper towels, I put my seeds in a paper towel SLIGHTY damp & Fold the towell over & thenI put them in a plastic bag & close the bag all but 1" & blow air in the bag then close. Put the bag in the refridgerator & in a few days the seeds will sprout. Some seeds will stick to the paper towell & if they do cut a circle around the seed & plant seed & paper (The paper will rot away) After your seeds are 4"tall you can give them fertilizer ( a very weak amount not to burn the seedlings ) I have seeds that I planted 2 months ago that are 15" tall but I use a 400 watt grow light that people use to grow pot & the plants grow like wildfire. My seedling should bloom in 7 months.
Jerry.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9357291

The first year I had seeds I did the cup thing. It was fun...once, been then someone on Daves, Leslie I think, asked why??? I didnt have an answer, so from that point forward I just plant in the sponges. There are 60 cells per block, you dont have to mess with them except to plant out. These were about 5 weeks old, you can see the block floats so the roots can grow out the bottom and frolic happily in the water. If I dont have them in the sponges by august, they wont bloom in the spring. Ive never had a 7 month seedling bloom, not really heard of that. I bet you could in a greenhouse maybe.

Frustrating to me is, if a seedling doesnt have a scape or bloom by march/april, it wont get one, say in june july or august. I dont know whats up with that.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9357292

tryng again

Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory      

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9357326

Looking Good!!!! I wish I had the room to do that many.. (little humor) Usually all I have had in the past will bloom if they have had time to crown up. (redundant).
Not as yellow as the pic and good roots need covered ,they are thinking about going for a walk?(humor)?

Seedlings are all right , Still tomorrows ,,results that count

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9357331

I plant them in earth boxes after this, twelve to a box, that is where they bloom, then I pot up the good ones, If they didnt bloom I sometimes cull, sometimes pot up. Depends how jazzed I still am about the cross.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9357336

I have the habit(mental) of of always wanting to keep ,(a plant from the same clump of a cross) The ones I don't like ,I grind them up for mulch...
Sometimes that's a lot of work and patience in the mulch pile,As one gets older one knows better than to get to mentally excited or hope beyond expectations. I suppose that's why I feel the mood to dance like snoopy from a charlie brown cartoon when I get a really nice plant and a bloom that stands out over and above.!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America