Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: Late fall planting

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 6, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hansen01
Tahlequah, OK

November 9, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9328881

So I was at walmart yesterday looking at a barbie bike for my daughter. I noticed they were throwing away large quantities of annuals. I looked to see what else was out there and saw that just about everything was 50% off. So my question is: If I planted some ornamental grasses and other perrenials right now as we are headed towards winter, would they survive? We are potentially only in this location for a year but for the price of a few bucks and labor it may be worth it. We live in Broken Arrow OK (Tulsa). We just leased a house for the first time and we have been dying to do some gardening. If this were my home I would invest much more into it (both time and $).

I would also be interested in any ideas on how to do some cost effective winter vegetable gardening. Considering we will be moving at the end next summer we would like to do as much gardening as we can.

Also, one last question, I am wondering if anyone puts window boxes on full length windows.

Thanks a ton.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9328926

I found this article from the Tulsa garden center re ornamental grasses. It seems if they are really cheaply priced it would be worth a shot.

http://www.tulsagardencenter.com/htdocs/LGC/Plant_Profiles/Grasses/Ornamental Grasses.htm

Also for your area...winter veggies

http://www.gardenguides.com/104690-grow-winter-vegetables-zone-seven.html

As for window boxes, do you mean windows that are close to the ground, or really wide windows?

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/1465458/list/Window-Boxes-Captivate-on-the-Curb
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

November 9, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9328967

These are good ideas but have you checked with your landlord? S/he might not want renters 'messing around'. I'm also not sure why you would want to plant if you know you will be moving in about a year. Despite the low prices, I'd give it a little more thought.
hansen01
Tahlequah, OK

November 9, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9329078

The windows are really close to the ground (floor to ceiling). Traditional window boxes would most likely just be hidden behind the planters. I was thinking about building some narrow boxes to go on the sides of the windows.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9329409

That would probably work depending on how you attach them. I would absolutely check with the landlord on that. You mentioned planters, are there built in planting boxes in front of the house? If so, you probably won't have a problem with planting in them.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 18, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9336460

Hi Hensen could you send in a picture as like Themoonhowl, I'm also confused why you cant just replant the planters already in situ, but maybe I'm reading this wrong, pics are always great and gives idea of size, width and how deep so the right plants can be selected for good show / colour etc.
Good luck. WeeNel.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9336786

I just got done today planting more than 120 trees, shrubs, (33) peonies and shrub roses. All were planted in the previous 3 weeks. Fall is a great time for planting, the Pros do it all the time. Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America