Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

November 9, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9328959

Any suggestions for edging the 'parkway' area (between street and sidewalk)? Should I use the green metal stuff, the black vinyl (?) stuff, or any other ideas? I don't want soil spilling onto the sidewalk or into the street. Please help. Thanks.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9330988

For an area that borders "public property" you would be best off using the most durable material available to you. In this case, I would suggest either metal edging or the prefab concrete/masonry borders...

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7943929_common-garden-edging.html

http://www.gardenguides.com/121666-garden-edging-options.html

http://www.diynetwork.com/outdoors/tips-on-garden-border-materials/index.html
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9331406

Is excavating excess soil a possibility?

When I lived in a house that had this strip of grass, I wanted to garden it also but then I realized the city could come along any time and need to dig the whole thing up for maintenance/repairs. There may be HOA or city regulations against part or all of this plan, especially in regard to blocking the view for drivers. I would also be worried about being sued for altering the edging near the sidewalk or street if it could cause someone to trip. Then there's thoughtless people who might park there and step right onto your garden.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 18, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9336412

I use old Telephone poles that are about 10-20 feet in length, here in UK they are wooden, been treated in there early life when telephone company first puts them into the ground but the treatment has been long gone by the time I have got hold of them. they are strong, round, and layed on the ground with wooden pegs hammered in either side they have been in place over 20 years and retain wood chips, so they have been the best we could find.
Other hard waring long lasting is railway sleepers but again, dont use any that have been treated as it will seep into the soil and may kill off plants or worce, stick to your shoes IF you stand on them. you may have to pay a delivery and per telephone / rail sleeper but believe me, where I live and the weather conditions we have, these are cheep at the price as we have waisted much money or so called hard wearing bought from garden store, these are never hardy enough for permanent situations like I have or you are talking about. so do a research first, look on like at reclaim yards where these companies go into industrial companies and do a clearance then sell off the goods they have decided are worth something to people like us. Lastly, do you know any place felling storm trees as they would be as good as tall telephone poles and the actual job is the same,
Hope this gives you some ideas to look at or find.
WeeNel.
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

November 20, 2012
12:45 AM

Post #9337780

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America