We will have a tech upgrade today between 1pm and 2pm EST.

STARTING OUR 2012 FALL/WINTER VEGGIE GARDENS - PT. 4

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

We came from here:
(Part 1) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263349/
(Part 2) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272354/
(Part 3) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278675/

The FALL/WINTER VEGGIE gardens are ramping up! The seeds have been (or, are being) sowed, and the transplanting continues.

So, jump on in to give us an update on the progress of YOUR Fall/Winter 2012-2013 veggie garden. Posting the veggie variety lists you're growing and pictorial updates of what's growing now would be very helpful to other growers getting ready to start!

Linda ^^_^^

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

Got 40 bales of organic wheat straw bales today for the new chicken house for winter. If there are any left over, I'll move those into the greenhouse and set pots on them to make it easier to tend to the plants. We're expecting a low of 2 degrees on Sun. night, so I'll strew wood shavings over the floor and under the water drums for insulation. West of here, it's already snowing in the higher country. I do hope we get some rain out of this...after the chicken house is done, lol. I have about 3 cubit feet of shredded leaves mixed with chicken manure and wood shavings to add to the already started compost pile in the greenhouse. The corn, tomatoes, squash, okra, and green beans are doing well, despite the 10-, 20- 30-degree temps at night, with the little milk house heater and a fan. Will probably have to add another heater in there before long. Pic shows a couple of the barrels (total 6) and the plastic on the end lifted up to vent and access (still have to build the end half-wall and doorway). Cosmos and Corn are in the raised bed area.

Thumbnail by Solace

Ooooo Solace,

You just reminded me I need to start collecting milk jugs to winter sow my spring flowers! Nice setup you have there!

Linda

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Linda, I've also started saving my milk jugs.

And I set up my temporary "greenhouse" for my tender adeniums. The collection has grown so big I don't have enough room in the house any more. My setup is a scrap 6'x6' chain link gate set atop 2 sawhorses, and covered all over with 6 mil clear plastic. This is set up in the sunniest sport in the yard and has concrete pavers at the base, hopefully the pavers will absorb heat during the day & release it at night. The sides can be lifted up if it gets too hot in there, and I can supply supplemental heat on the nights when it drops below freezing. This is the first year I'll be leaving the adeniums outdoors, so I;ll be keeping a close watch on them.

Jo-Ann

Winston Salem, NC

I am going to try row covers this year. I have one raised bed where I am using pex tubing for hoops; I have another bed where I will just let the fabric float. Just ordered fabric from johnny's seeds.

Currently, I have romaine lettuce, bok choi, herbs, arugula, mustard, beets and radishes. Planted seeds for various lettuces today. Don't know if they will germinate, but we had 69 degree weather today. Although it's supposed to get a little colder, I think it's still possible to get some germination.

Anyone out there use row covers or hoop tunnels?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Finally feel like I've accomplished something this week. Transplanted broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and more tomatoes. Planted squash and cucumbers and am trying an experiment with more broccoli and cauliflower. Planted more bok choi, beets, purple carrots and 1000 garlic bulbs.I bought red and silver plastic film mulch. I love it.

I've made an interesting discovery about myself -- when it comes to growing plants, I'm NOT in control -- and I wanna be!

I've got all these neat little rows of beet and turnip seedlings coming up, and my first awakening was having to actually thin them. After trying to reposition about 21 tiny seedlings, it became less painful to just rip out the rest to get some decent spacing. But, they look so pitiful. I'm not used to not being able to manipulate growth factors like light and temperature.

Same thing with those neat rows of turnips...

I side dressed everything with either a high nitro or high phosphorus mix.

I've got beautiful Broccs and caulis growing in one bed, and terribly worm hole laden brassicas in another. Can not find that darn worm!

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Linda, good that you have realized that in the world of gardening, we humans are definitely in control! We may fudge a little here and there, but in the big picture, Mother Nature is the one calling the shots! We just have to deal with it!

Talihina, OK

Nice rain here yesterday will really help all of the mustard I have planted ,Brussel Sprouts are looking good just not a hint of a sprout yet ,looks like the Collards are going to steal the show for this fall..the kale is also looking good ,have already begun to eat some mixed greens but now have enough that are large enough to have a cooking of individual ones...Along with the rain came a sudden drop in the temps went from 72 down to 53 in a matter of 20 minutes and kept going down till the over night temp was 30

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

The temps are dropping here, not going anywhere near 30, but will be in the 50's. Winds had been out of the southeast at 20mph sustained with gusts of 45, now it has switched from the north, still 20-30 with gusts of 40-45. Brrrrrrrrrr,need a sweat shirt and cap to work in this!
I direct seeded primed broccoli and cauliflower, cucumber and squash seeds. They came up in 24 hours! Planted fingerlings and red and white potatoes. I'm behind on planting those.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

We're having such a lovely rain here. It started in the night and is still going -- nice and gentle with no storming. The gauge says 2" so far.

We have really had a mild weather year for us. Not much in the way of big damaging storms or other severe weather. There was that bad dry spell in the spring, but even then it wasn't nearly as bad as the midwest. "They" say it's going to be a rough, snowy winter. We'll see.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Just lettuces and kale-everything else croaked or succumbed to the bugs and worms! I did plant a bunch of garlic for next season-first time-I'm excited. But my fingers about froze trying to get it in on a windy, grey, cold day!

Talihina, OK

Peggy I too planted some more garlic today ,i kinda got the hang of a nice easy way to plant bulbs I just remove all the soil down to the depth I want the bulbs to be then spread the bulbs on top of the area from which you have removed the soil ,return the soil to it's original location and you are done works in a row as well as a planter ..BTW this works well on flower bulbs as well ..Joe

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for that Joe, sounds like a better way than the way I did it! BTW-about how far apart did you plant your garlic? I did mine 6" apart and rows 10" apart

Talihina, OK

I planted mine in a planteractually 1/3 of a barrel and they are only a few inches apart ,i have watched the commercial grows plant in rows and they were very thick ,they were using a large (8 row planter ) huge tractor and didn't seem to waste much time on the planting ...When it came it was very thick so they must have really fertilized it heavy their yields are in tons per acre ..but I can see that garlic does not seem to need a lot of room

Everyone's gathered around the stove cooking THANKSGIVING DINNER!

I pray that everyone has a wonderful time with friends and family, give thanks for the bounty, and, remember -- "hug a veggie before you eat it"!

Linda

See Ya'll after Thanksgiving!

My onions are here!

4 days!

My onions are here -- four days!

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Got my broccoli planted today. Starting with 15 plants each of Green Magic and Bonanza. I'll save the rest of the flat and plant more in a week or two. I need to get the rows ready for my onions. My order from Dixondale should arrive December 10.

So far, I have radish and turnips sprouting. Lettuce, spinach, beets and carrots still aren't showing anything. Still also have about half the main garden area to till and prep for winter. I think I am going to plant that half with annual ryegrass for cover.

D,
Post some pics!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

My winter garden was growing great - lots of broccoli, cauliflower, peas, garlic, green onions. Then the chickens got out for several hours. Broccoli - newly forming heads just pecked off. The same with cauliflower. Peas - completely torn out of the ground. At least the left the green onions & garlic alone. The cauliflower is a total loss. I my get the side shoots from the broccoli. And the peas are just a pile to put in the compost.
Jo-Ann

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Sounds like someone may be wringing a few necks to have chicken for Thanksgiving! Or maybe a bit more chicken gumbo and chicken creole.

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

Lol, wringing a few necks. Terrible news though Jo-Ann.

I received my onions as well a few days ago and I planted 50 of them- 16x each of red creole, yellow and white from the Dixondale short-day sampler. Lots more bulbs to plant.

Still battling the worms on my Bok Choy...seems that there was a big fat worm at the center of several of my plants today but I had already sprayed twice with Bt over the past couple of days. I did not pick them because I want to see how effective my treatments will be. I've had lots of yummy outer leaves so its cool....regardless, eeewww at the worms lurking in the center. Mental note, spray early and often next time. Or use hoops!

Oh, and 17 of my 20 garlic cloves are up! Still have more to plant. Also, and most importantly, I finally got my drip irrigation system up and running. It still needs some tweaking but wow, what a difference it makes.

John,
Tell me about that difference.

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

Love my drip system. No more watering in the dark with a flashlight when I get home from work. I was even sitting on a chair watching the kids play & talking to my wife yesterday when the system turned on. That was nice, just kicking back and relaxing :) . Trust me, I've botched enough crops over the years due to uneven or otherwise insufficient watering so hopefully this will do the trick.

Right now it is set to run from 7-7:30am and 5-5:30pm. Does that sound reasonable for my brassicas, carrots and lettuce?

Vista, CA

John,
You will need to become acquainted with how the soil handles the water. If your soil is sandy or very loose, the low volume of water may soak deep before it has time to spread out, or vice versa. It tood me some experimenting here. I started off with too wide a spacing between emitters and had to narrow down, and one place i had to place two 12" spacing tubes side by side with the emitters staggered 6", in order to get the horizontal spread i needed.

Each combination of soil type and emitter spacing needs to be worked out.

Ernie

So, John,
Which drip system are you using? Cause I'm still using a flashlight.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Linda,

Is it one of those new-fangled, high-technology hydro flashlights? How much water does it produce? :)

I still water by flashlight myself, but it is only a lowly 2-cell D battery model. That and a hose-end sprinkler, I should say.

David

LOL!!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL David!

My garlic has all sprouted and doing well. I might go ahead and plant some more.

Hubby's tomatillos are still going strong. I'm not sure they're going to actually mature before we get our first freeze, so we might have to pick them and let them ripen on the windowsill.

My one and only broc so far.

My final harvest of black eyed peas, a few okra pods, some jalapenos, and some okra seeds.

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Talihina, OK

some of my Brussel sprouts have some damage from the recent cold mornings (23) so don't look as if they will survive a cold okie winter everything else is looking pretty good Kale,turnips,and collards are some tough dudes...

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the tip, Ernie. You are right, and I have been observing how the system works, mostly on the weekends when I am home. I have some work to do as far as optimizing the spacing. What's worse is that I received some lousy soil from my yard guy and it is really compact. The water tends to pool in one large area so that is one teensy little problem. I will have to figure out a way to replace as much of the soil as I can and amend the rest later in the winter as I rotate crops out of the beds.

Linda- I can't recall the name of the vendor I used but I will post that later. Good product all around, but it was a little challenging at times to set up for this newbie. The hoses are rolled-up and it can get tricky to lay out the 1/2" tubing due to the tubing wanting to "recoil." But it is managable and certainly not a deal-breaker.

Vista, CA

John,
The best way to control the tubes is with the wire staples sold for either that or for pinning down weed barrier cloth. You will need them as the tube shrinks and shortens in cold weather and expands when it is hot so it will crawl away from the straight lines you lay out.

Netafim is an excellent brand to use as it has emitters that individually regulate the pressure for more even watering.

Ernie

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info, Ernie. I'll check that out. Glad you mentioned the weather; it will be interesting to see how the tubing reacts to the extreme temperatures especially now that we are about to enter the winter months. I will probably have to flush the water out somehow when there are freezes, but hopefully that will be rare. I need to keep that owner manual handy.

My system utilizes generic 1/4" tubing with built-in emitters that drip 1 gph, but I did see emitters for sale that were adjustable. I also have 5 maybe 10 emitters that I have yet to use- these can be piped to potted plants. I think at this point it is "wait and see" as I slowly figure out how the system is performing.

The alfalfa pellets I sprinkled in the compost to heat it up have sprouted...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL!!

Vista, CA

Gymgirl,

you should patent those pellet sprouts. If you can grow the pellets ready made, that will save the pellet mills a fortune.

ernie

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Good one Ernie.

Gymgirl, just dig them under. They will deliver great nitrogen.

John, dig some holes on each side of your plantings. Put in some kitchen vegetable cuttings and chopped up leaves and cover. The worms will discover each hole and move back and forth across the planted area and at the same time loosen your crap soil and add worm castings. Sharon

I cannot believe ya'll are laughing at me! But, I'm laughing, too!!!

LOL!!!!

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

Great idea Sharon, I'll do that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.