Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Berengaria
Salt Point, NY

November 9, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9329027

We cut down two large maple trees early this spring. The ground underneath had been covered for years with thick leaves. The ground was scraped clean with a dozer and this low growing plant appeared and spread over a 15 foot square area during the summer. I don't remember any flowers. It seems to spread by runners. It has a very peculiar musty odor when crushed. It would make a great ground cover on this steep rough area but I want to be sure it isn't poisonous to people or animals.

Zone 5

Thumbnail by Berengaria   Thumbnail by Berengaria
Click an image for an enlarged view.

bryan3
Brunswick, GA

November 9, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9329056

Could be Gound Ivy (Glechoma hederacea). Not poisonous. In the mint family.
marksgrdn
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2012
1:06 AM

Post #9330077

looks like the same plant that my friend had growing around his pond. I believe he called it Pennywort. Was very invasive in his garden. looked good around the pond and the way it traveled.
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 11, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9330238

It might be Centella Asiatica, compare this with the plant I am growing which actually is Centella.

Thumbnail by burraganesh
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

November 12, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9330918

Sure looks like Creeping Charlie to me. It is a great ground cover but good luck keeping it under control! Can take years to get rid of.
izzysgran
stratford ontario
Canada

November 12, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9331006

For sure this is creeping Charlie.I moved House 3 years ago and my new Garden was covered with this,it looks pretty but kills off all the grass and gets into the Flower beds.I used a solution of Borax and my Yard is now clear,of Charlie and I now have a beautiful Lawn.

RECIPE:-
Borax Solution for Creeping Charlie Control:
Dissolve 10 oz. Twenty Mule Team Borax in 4 oz. ( cup) warm water.
Dilute in 2.5 gallons of water.
Apply to areas affected with Charlie. Be careful not to overdo it or it will cause Hot Spots in your lawn where nothing will grow.

This will cover 1,000 square feet. If you have a smaller area to treat, cut the "recipe" accordingly
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

November 12, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9331008

Although I used a chemical solution I've heard your recipe does work well. Am I correct that one should only use it once? Any more would seriously damage the soil? I could be way wrong on that.
izzysgran
stratford ontario
Canada

January 21, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9392186

[quote="ghopper"]Although I used a chemical solution I've heard your recipe does work well. Am I correct that one should only use it once? Any more would seriously damage the soil? I could be way wrong on that.[/quote]

sorry ,did not see this until now. I have used the Borax a total of 3 times because I had so much creeping charlie.I added some topsoil to fill the bare spots and overseeded.My lawn looks fantastic now. I was aware that overuse of Borax can damage the soil but fortunately mine is okay and it has been worth the effort .If any stray bits pop up I can easily pull them out by hand.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America