Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Where to buy pumice?

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
enith
Cottage Lake, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9329391

I started adding pumice to my potting soil. I prefer it from perlite or vermiculite. Does anyone know where to buy quantities larger than just 3 gallon bags, maybe even bulk? I live near Woodinville. Thanks for any help.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9329418

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I am interested to know why you find it preferable to the other two substances. I might be interested it trying your method also.
enith
Cottage Lake, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9329429

mauryhillfarm, thanks for your response. I don't like perlite and vermiculite, because they tend to float to the top of the pot while I'm watering my plants. They also quite quickly turn to powder and than the soil settles. Pumice is reusable, will not compact and has great porosity and ability to hold water. It also is great for topdressing alpine plants that don't tolerate organic muIches. I mix my regular potting soil from a good source with pumice to make potting soil draining even more easily, which is especially important for bulbs and other plants sensitive to wet soils especially during rainy season. Unfortunately pumice seems to be harder to find than perlite or vermiculite. So far I've been buying it on Amazon for about 7 dollars per gallon plus tax. I'd like to find cheaper source as I use a lot of it.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9329667

Hi enith, Just Google 'Where can I buy pumice in bulk. There are several placeslisted.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America