Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Herbs: How mulch outdoor herb plants during the winter?

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 1, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rick7
West Newton, MA

November 10, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9329443

I'm here in eastern Massachusetts in Zone 6b. I have a few thyme, oregano and marjoram plants outside that I'd like to keep harvesting from occasionally during the winter. I've heard that I have the best chance of making that happen if I cover the plants with a thick layer of mulch, so I now have some salt marsh hay for that purpose.

But I'm wondering exactly how they should be covered. if I cover the plants completely with several inches of hay, I'm sure it would be warmer for them, but I'm worried that it would totally block out any winter sunlight that I would imagine they would need to keep the leaves green. I can't imagine that photosynthesis completely stops during the winter. Or does it? It seems that being exposed to as much winter sun as possible is one of the ways that the plant would manage to keep its leaves green during the winter, no?

Any thoughts or advice on this? Thanks.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 9:12 AM

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 9:35 AM

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9342988

Protect from wind and frost burn, they are going to be growing so slowly you won't see them have time to turn white, cover and uncover if you have any worries, but these plants may freeze to roots even with covering- but return in warmer weather. Good luck

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America