AuthorContent

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9329707

I have all my plants in for the winter. They are all fighting for light. Looks like I might have to add on next year, LOL.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Click an image for an enlarged view.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

November 10, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9329711

That's a lot of plants! What are the temps like? I am always worried mine will die due to lack of light but yours look good. Do they do better in darker conditions if its cooler? Mine are in the main part of the house so temps don't drop below 69 too often.
C

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9329734

You are outta control, mister! LOL! There's a fine line between a collector and a hoarder, a line I'm trying to straddle myself.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 10, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9329873

Gary your house reminds me of mine! Your plants all look great!
Here are some pictures when I was in the process of moving stuff inside. Since then I have moved in many more but no pictures yet.
GermanStar, no doubt I am an addict but I am fine with the situation. Do collectors only keep their plants outside and hoarders bring them all in for the winter?

Thumbnail by helenchild   Thumbnail by helenchild         

helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 10, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9329874

I forgot a picture.
GS - what distinguishes a collector from a hoarder? I need to know. ^_^

Thumbnail by helenchild
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9329878

I used to know, but as I descend deeper and deeper into neurosis, I'm all but certain reason has surrendered to rationalization.
cactusloverlady
Menasha, WI

November 10, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9329912

Can I join your group? My house is the same! cll

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9329938

[quote="helenchild"]I forgot a picture.
GS - what distinguishes a collector from a hoarder? I need to know. ^_^[/quote]

When bringing your plants in means you no longer have a useful kitchen, bathroom, and living room, it may be time to reassess. ;-)

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9329963

[quote="GermanStar"]

When bringing your plants in means you no longer have a useful kitchen, bathroom, and living room, it may be time to reassess. ;-)[/quote]

Not if you have two kitchens, bathrooms, and living rooms, LOL.

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9329980

Good for you, yes that helps!

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9329985

NTl, the temps in my basement don't drop below 55. I have duct work from my furnace that I turn on when it gets real cold. I do have a grow light that I am going to have to use this year (because of the increase in plants and their size).
GS, A hoarder?? What makes you think that? LOL. Amoung the dozens of plants I've bought this year, people are starting to give me plants. I had three in my driveway one day with a note asking me to care for them (no name).
Here is one I bought last week. Crown of Thorns "Creme Supreme". The second picture shows the real color. This goes with my red, yellow and pink ones I already have, not to mention the larger "Cherry Cobler" and "Lemon Meringue".

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus         

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9330185

Here I am complaining about having to cover mine a few times in the winter with frost cloth. I'm not going to complain anymore. I'll think of you and know I am lucky!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

November 11, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9330212

smashedcactus, LOL! Your house looks like mine! Plants ALL OVER the place! 3 stands full in the west picture window, one west facing bedroom window with a 4 tier rack. My south facing kitchen table will be half full of plants soon too!
Not many succulents but still!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

November 11, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9330215

I feel plant deprived! I still have a few large euphorbias and aloes outside but those will come in tonight. My plants are all confined to a small area most under fl. lights. and I still find it a chore to check on and water them. You guys are dedicated.
C
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

November 11, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9330220

We're mostly nuts. Well, at least I am!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

November 11, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9330309

Tommy,
One thing I am lucky about is the fact that I can keep my carnivores outside all year. I don't have any except a couple Nepanthes that I have to bring in. So at least the only ones I have to worry over are the cactus and succulants. I think I am much too lazy to move that many plants!
C
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9339177

Looks a slightly hazardous household with so many cacti in close proximity to living areas!
On subject of light for overwintering cacti, they can be safely kept in complete darkness, as long as totally dry and should be on the cool side. I had a cardboad box full of cacti in a self storage centre for about 3 months one winter after a house move, they were all fine except a couple that had shrivelled up. Even some pots of tiny seedlings came through OK.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9352847

Would you by any chance be willing to spare a piece of the yellow Christmas for postage or a possible trade? I have been looking for one for awhile. Thanks.

Larkie
helenchild
Decatur, GA

December 9, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9353870

More on winter quarters. What the heck is going on with flowers in Dec??

Thumbnail by helenchild   Thumbnail by helenchild         

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

December 9, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9353928

I have some Too!

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9355564

Here's my blooming Mammillaria huitzilopochtli

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

helenchild
Decatur, GA

December 11, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9355590

These crazy plants!! Is it global warming?? lol

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

December 11, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9355656

Funny, I always think of December as prime flowering time for succulents, or at least the start of it. Looking at it that way (which makes sense given our climate), Mammillaria plumosa is usually the first of the Mamms to go. Pictured late November and still going strong.

Even though we haven't had proper rain for 8 months, a lot of plants are waking up. The jades are budding like crazy. The Echeverias are active (about 15 in bud or bloom at the moment). 8 of those are propagations from October I was hoping would skip a season. The aloes are going at it too. Aeonium Cyclops has started. All things considered I'm amazed they're able to do it. It's very dry out there.

Speaking of which, the last two pictures show Aloe congolensis before and 24 hours after watering. The plant continues to plump up and recovers about 80% of its green color over the next 2-3 days. By the end of a month it's back to the brown, shriveled state again. Natural cycle, all good. Succulents are amazing that way.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero      

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9355825

Your aloe looks like it has a nice fat bud even in the dry conditions. It is extremely dry here in Phoenix also. No rain in so long. However, they are predicting rain here in the next few days. I really how so!

Aren't the rocks to plant in fun? I have a few. Here's a photo I planted with an Aloe 'Pepe'.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

December 13, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9357597

If I imagine correctly, you'll know it's all going according to plan when little Pepitos pop up around the sides. That is a nice little plant.

The pumice pots dry out very fast (faster than clay)... great for a rot-susceptible plant, so I can leave the Mammillaria out in the winter rain and there's no problem.

Speaking of which, the rainy season officially began last night and it's still going. I'm totally transfixed. Rain is pretty cool. I guess you're getting that same storm your way too.

The only two plants in my "winter quarters" (thread topic) at the moment are a Cyphostemma and a Pachypodium, both dormant. They get the protection of an overhang. Everybody else is out there getting scrubbed clean for the first time in a long while.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9359934

Yes, it's the same here. Yesterday we had a great soaking rain that was so badly needed. Now I hope it doesn't get too cold because I have some cacti that are not protected from the rain and it they get too cold that will be rotting environment for sure! There is always something to worry about!

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

December 19, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9362610

No kidding. Hail, for example. The softer skinned plants are scarred from an episode we had the other day. Agave attenuata pictured with pitted leaves.

Second picture here completes the congolensis series, showing a plump happy plant after the rain. If you look carefully around the edges, you can see weed seedlings sprouting. The last shot shows Aloe Hercules, which just endured an 8 month drought with no irrigation.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero      

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9364622

Well, A. Hercules looks happy now! They are amazing plants.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America