Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cacti and Succulents: ID please

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 13, Views: 197
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 10, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9329751

Two plants here starting to outgrow their 6 inch pots... the aloe has prickles (is that the word?) on the top and bottom of the leaves and offsets. No flower pics (yet). The agave has very strong bud imprints, especially on the underside of the leaf. Thanks for taking a look.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9329766

2. Agave montana

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9330009

Looks a lot like my A. brevifolia, but the leaves are not curled like yours.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 9:55 PM

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9330171

I think the Aloe is A spinosissima (A hybrid 'species')
helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 11, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9330784

Nice plants. Since I would rather put off till tomorrow what I could do today, I would say your plants look fine in their pots. Hmmm... let me see... maybe thats part of the reason your plants always look so good!!!

Thumbnail by helenchild
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 11, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9330791

Yes, those names look right to me. Thank you. It will be nice to see the aloe flower, and I will be duly watchful for the aloe mite.

Helen, about the pots... when I repotted the agave last month I had to break the pot it was in because it was so compacted with roots. It was the pot or the plant. That bummed me out because it was a nice pot. Anyway, that's not going to be a small agave, which is good to know up front (final size 4-5 feet). Not a lot of space left in the ground for big spiny plants... will have to get more creative.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 12, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9330886

I see what you mean about the plant size. It can become a predicament when potted plants are growing to their potential. Especially when resources are limited. And when aren't they? A final size of 5 feet is quite large for a container without the space.
My picture shows a pot that started out with one each of I think 3 types of aloe/gasterias. It has gotten out of hand and what to do with it is now the question for me. It was attractive. I am debating whether to chucking them all or pulling it all apart and replanting again with a couple of each type. Then there is the problem of where to place it once its redone.
48flash
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 12, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9331076

I tend to keep some large growing species in 16 to 20 inch pots to limit their size. The large pots allow for a good size plant to develop without becoming the monsters they could become. The pots have the drawback of requiring the plants to be supplied nutrients by a dose of tomato plant food once to twice a year and receive some supplemental water. But it's a tradeoff I am willing to make plus i do have several inground plants, mostly Sonoran desert natives, that are free grow as they please.
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

November 12, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9331164

48flash when you plant the larger agaves in smaller pots to reduce size do you do significant root pruning each time you repot? I've seen people do that with other cacti/succulents but not agaves.

I mostly have agaves in pots that will stay at 8-10" or smaller as I don't have room for large or even medium sized pokey ones, but I've purchased several that get a bit larger in the hopes that keeping them in pots would dwarf them some. However, several that are in 6" pots grew out over the sides pretty quickly. I didn't root prune at their first potting since they were so young. I really want to get a Mr. Ripples, but it really gets too large for my space, so I was hoping my idea would work.

Baja I agree with you about breaking pots. I don't mind when it's a 6 or 8" terra cotta as they are pretty cheap, but I have a euphorbia in a $25 pot that I've let go to long and it's going to be a challenge to get it out without having to break the pot.

The photo is of Mr. Ripples. Be still my beating heart!

Thumbnail by Anniesfollies

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 12, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9331439

That agave is going in the ground, somewhere. I might be able to make some space by clearing brush at the very back of the garden. I've been hesitant to work up there because it's on a steep rocky slope right above a mean prickle-bush. Maybe I will first install a safe place to stand and then think about it from an improved perspective. Nice thing is that A. montana is solitary, so there won't be much maintenance to worry about later.

Helen, your overflowing pot reminds me a little of the Gasteria bed I installed here 3 years ago. In that time it settled about 2" below where it should be (my bad) and the rock-ringed central area is packed wall to wall with offsets. It looks pretty cool when they're all in flower but that's about it. I think maybe this winter I will yank the whole colony and reinstall a new-improved version with 3 or 4 big plants at ground level where they aren't half-buried. It will look better and fill in again in no time.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9331521

This is my Agave 'blue glow'. I've planted it in the ground during the summer and in pots during the winter. The second picture is when I bought it in May of 09. It is getting too big to plant in the ground again. I know it would not have grown half this size if I had left it in a pot. I think the pot I have it in is too small, but it is all I had at the time. I will repot it for the last time in the spring. So Baja, yours is going in the ground and mine is staying in a pot, LOL.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Illig1
Redwood City, CA

November 12, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9331615

Deborah Baldwin's succulent book recommends that to keep potted agaves in check, one should simply whack off the bottom half of the rootball. I have done massive root pruning on them with no signs of ill effect.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9332891

Yes, root pruning is not a problem and will certainly help keep agaves in a pot. Gary: I know people here who would kill for that plant. It is gorgeous! You've done a great job with it.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9333410

Thanks Nancy!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America