Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cacti and Succulents: Need ID help with this cactus(?) or succulent

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 8, Views: 201
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

LazLo

LazLo
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9329821

Fella wants to sell me a couple of "ears" from this "Floppy Ear Cactus", as he calls it for want of an actual name for this plant.

1. what the heck is it really?
2. how to go about propogating it from leaves - - like a url i can go to and read up on it.

thanks for any help,

~ ŁazŁo

Thumbnail by LazLo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9329823

You're kidding. He expects money for that?
helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 10, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9329863

Don't pay him much. It looks like some kind of Opuntia. A cutting would probably be easy to root in dry soil. Give it plenty of sun and not much water.
If you do get a piece don't handle it with your bare hands. Use tongs of some kind. It can have small spines that are very annoying if you get them in your skin.
Have fun.
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9329946

Looks a lot like Opuntia cochenillifera to me, but I am not 100% sure. Should not be a problem to root from pads, but if you have to pay money make sure you get a few nice big fat ones, not one of the floppy thin ones, those will root too, but form a much less sturdy base.
I also think these might be a little frost tender - as it is a more (sub)tropical cactus. I got a box with about 20 pads on ebay from someone in Florida earlier this year, I forget what I paid, but it was not that much, less than a dollar/pad, I think.
Out of those 20 a few of the smaller (2-3 inches long) failed but the 3-4 really nice big fat pads rooted fine and a couple of them have shot up incredibly fast, the rest have rooted fine, but grown less fast. If the plant in the picture is indeed O. cochenillifera, it is supposed to be an arborescent Opuntia, so it can get really really big if given space. The pads are mostly thornless and apparently quite edible, it gets nice flowers and I think the fruits are edible too.
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9330642

More appropriate for material like this is a trade of modest value: cookies, your own plant material, a glass of homemade lemonade... It doesn't look like I'd pay more than $.50 per pad, which makes a trade more fun and fitting.
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9334649

I'm pretty sure it's Opuntia engelmannii var. linguiformis, commonly known as cow-tongue cactus. As mcvansoest said, it is easily propagated by simply by sticking a pad into the soil. This plant was originally found growing in the San Antonio, TX region but I've grown it in Fort Worth so I know that it's quite cold-tolerant. Around here, most of the native Opuntias are considered weeds. As far as the asking price of 5 dollars is concerned,I'll just say this. "One man' s weed is another man's treasure."

This message was edited Nov 16, 2012 1:01 PM

LazLo

LazLo
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9334658

Thanks everyone for your input . . . I'm gonna refer to it as Opuntia engelmannii var. linguiformis . . .
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.     ;--)

Do a dance of joy!

Thumbnail by LazLo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 16, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9334691

Cute baby.
Interesting the statue is naked and from what I can tell anatomically correct. ;-)

Xenomorf

Xenomorf
Valley of the Sun, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 18, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9336290

Definately not O. engelmannii v. linguiformis. Just compare the shape of the pads and the trunk style of this photo: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/44880/

Looks more like the common O. ficus-indica that's been kept on the dry side and would possibly do better in the ground. The shape of the pads, the spacing of the areoles & the trunk style all point towards this. Comparison photos: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/316211/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America