-
AuthorContent
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9330006

While I was gone for a month taking care of my Momma and laying her body to rest, my flock was killed. I think it was a skunk. They had feathered out so pretty after molting too. I am very sad. I put out a live trap but have caught nothing. I smelled a skunk nearby the day after so I am pretty sure that is what did it. Chewed the necks and ate the corn in the crops. It tunneled into the coop. I will have to start over in spring after I fortify the coop with rat wire.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9330181

Oh Cajun. I'm so very sorry. It's so hard that you lost them on top of the loss of your Momma. I hope spring will bring all good things for you.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

November 11, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9330371

So sorry,everytime I hear of something like this happening I just pray it dos`nt happen to me
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9330531

A skunk was killed in the road right by my coop so I pray it was the guilty party and a new flock will be safe. I have found a source for fresh eggs so that will take care of us until I can get set up again. I am at least glad we don't have to eat "store" eggs. I know I want EEs again and I'd like to have some BCMs I am thinking.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

November 11, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9330549

Cajun;
So sorry, I thought I was at a loss when I had coons out smarting me, when they were getting 2 at a time and wound up getting 16 before I got a live trap. and got 4 of them.

Were I closer I would share some of my red comets with you.
They are more than supplying our needs.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9330705

Oh Cajun, I am so sorry. :( Let us know if there is anything we can do.

Remember I lost one of my best hens not long ago? Well, I saw the fox a few nights ago. Not absolutely positive, but I saw him twice, once going through the yard next door and when I went around to the alley he was making his get away between the buildings. I caught a short glimpse of him twice. Looked like one of the foxes to me. So, he has my number and no doubt he'll be back. Still haven't set the trap yet.

Take care of yourself. My mother died in 2003.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9331401

very sorry for the loss of your flock during such a sad time in your life. My heart goes out to you
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9333031

Oh Cajun, so sorry for your loss on both mom and flock. Hope you have a better spring.
gardenpaw
Brownstown, IN

November 14, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9333115

Cajun, please accept my deepest condolences on your Mommas passing.
Im so sorry to hear that at this time you came home to find your flock is gone, I hope the skunk you saw in the
road is the culprit and you wont have to worry with a new flock after you get the wire down.
Your in my prayers,

Karen
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9336024

Hope you feel better soon.

When my mother died there were so many different emotions going on. Relief that she was no longer suffering. COPD is one of the worst ways to die, you just slowly smother to death. Other things went on I can't go into, but it was a very stressful time. Even now, nine years later there are parts of me still in shock and denial.

Maybe you should get just a few chickens now, to help you relax a bit?

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9346953

I got 2 rolls of rat wire at the feed guy's place to reinforce around the bottom of my coop. Some fella had bought it and didn't need it so he sent it up to the feed guy's place to resell it. I got it for just $8 a roll. Now I need to dig a trench around the coop and bury the wire about half way. Then I will feel safe to get more chickens. I'll just get a few so we can have eggs for ourselves.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9347541

You know I'm getting kind of a burned out feeling about my chickens lately. I don't know if it is all the work, or the fact they've killed my grass in my backyard or the heartache of the loss when they die or get sick, or maybe I had higher expectations than I should have had.

There is also this feeling I get "taken" a lot. Selling me birds they know are roosters and telling me they are hens. HA! I'm so gullible at times. I think I'm smart, but I'm not always wise. However, I was looking at my two new whites last night and they are really coming along. The baby white I got in Dallas is a little doll. Then there is another one I bought from a very reputable couple. For awhile I suspected it was also a male, but still not sure. Seems to be filling out to be a hen. I had to put them both in a dog crate because of the fox. I'm not letting them out until I feel they are safe.

I want to breed them, but then there is the "what do I do with the roosters" problem. For me, that is a big deal. My tender heart gets in the way of reality. I can't just keep adding roosters to my already large collection. If I raise more, I'll have to toughen up and sell or give them away somewhere.

God willing, I'm going to the poultry show in Shawnee this weekend. It should be fun.

Congrats on your wire, and I hope you get that fixed and they will be secure. It is a shame that happened at such a sensitive time. They say when it rains it pours. Good news is, it will get better with time. Pain always lessens in time. Doesn't completely go away, but it lessens each day. Someone told me that once on about the worst day of my life. It proved to be true.

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9347915

I'm so sorry for your losses, CajuninKY, thats a lot to deal with, take care of yourself!

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9348552

Nice deal on the rat wire. =)

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

December 7, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9352453

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother and now your chickens. You'll be in my prayers, and I think it's good that you can add extra precaution measures to your pens. I'm in the process of building a new coop for my 18, I will use a perimeter fence of cattle panel with snow fence on the outside, and an electric fence to surround it all. I have hay bales around the cattle panel/tunnel hoop coop, and will use hardware cloth on the lower section that meets the ground, inside the bales. If there's a metal fabrication place in your area, you could probably get expanded metal scraps to put flat on the ground around their coop.
Blessings,
Dianne
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 8, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9352916

I am so sorry for the loss of your chickens..and your mom know that feeling..good deal on rolls of rat wire!! hope next year will be better..
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9353256

I have been doing a little reading on different chicken breeds. Do you all know any hatcheries I can look up? I especially am looking for any that I can order just a few of each breed from. Thanks.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 8, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9353257

mypetchicken.com i dont know much about this one anybody know?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 8, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9353279

Murray MacMurray will let you order a few of each breed, but usually the total still needs to be 25 minimum so they keep each other warm in transit.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 8, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9353295

I've had good luck with Welp's but then it's still 25 min. also their in northern Ia. and I felt it was the cheapest for me. and it was free delivery.
Wish you well where ever you get them.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9353858

Meyer Hatcher will allow you to mix breeds. This time of year their minimum order is 15 for shipping.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9353941

Thanks, AnnieBBB. Going to check them out now.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 10, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9354347

OOooooooh Thank you. I've been thinking about getting a roo for my little flock, as well as more for the fry pan. I see they have a fry-pan special coming up. all mixed rosters. 25@ $0.57, if I remembered correctly Or a few less for a little more each.
Of course save the one I like best.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9354692

Great idea!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America