AuthorContent
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 11, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9330221

Please see the pics of Oregano I am growing in a rectangular plastic tub.Also one can note Acorus Calamus growing.

By the way my oregano tastes astringent, while some Yellow leaves don't taste good.Is overwatering a reason for yellowing of leaves?

Thumbnail by burraganesh   Thumbnail by burraganesh
Click an image for an enlarged view.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 16, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9334696

I would discard yellow leaves. They are old and have gone 'bad' so to speak.
Only use the new leaves, near the growing ends of the stems. They are the tastiest.
I don't know if overwatering would change the flavor but plants grown dry tend to concentrate their essence, so to speak, and have a stronger flavor.
Is this growing in a window sill? or outside?
I see you are in India. Not a growing environment I am familiar with.
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 19, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9337085

Hey helen, I'm growing this plant on Roof top. I love plants from Mints family (Lamiaceae). When I took a small stem cutting of this plant and put it laterally in a small container with Coco-peat, I couldn't believe it rooted and became this big in a matter of 4-5 months. Apart from this plant, I have Tulsi (which is sacred to Hindus) and Thai-Basil (which I believe is sacred to Christians as I read somewhere " basil plants sprang up from the ground under the Cross where drops of the Savior's blood fell").

I love Basil even more than Tulsi, it's fragrance is so amazing.Basil leaves garland is also offered to Lord Shiva infact a variety of Basil is called Rudra-jada in Telugu language.(Rudra literally means Lord shiva and Jada is ponytail,here it's sacred tuft of Lord shiva)

That's mythology for you, isn't it amazing how the religions lay emphasis on environment and growing Plants ?
helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 19, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9337632

Burraganesh,
It sounds like you have a tasty garden growing on the roof top. What a good place. Growing gardens is mystical really. And always inspirational. An exercise of the imagination. Keep on...

Thumbnail by helenchild
Click the image for an enlarged view.

burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 20, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9337976

Wow helen your Yellow Lotus looks great to my eyes
helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 20, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9338118

That is actually a water lillie. I love the color. I also have a pink lotus.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Click the image for an enlarged view.

burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 20, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9338745

That's great !
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

November 22, 2012
12:41 AM

Post #9339612

Burraganesh, your plant is not oregano (Origanum vulgare), but the substitute Plectranthus amboinicus, which is grown in tropical areas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_oregano
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 22, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9339857

Well is it ? I heard this name often as a synonym to Oregano. Thanks for letting me know though and by the way it is called Vaamaku (in Telugu)

Hey there's an interesting point I got from the Wiki link you gave me, see the Cultivation paragraph: It's mentioned that

"The Indian Borage ideally should be grown in a semi-shaded and moist location as the leaves will remain a beautiful jade-green colour. If it is getting too much sun, the leaves turn yellow, start curling and look unsightly; if not enough sun, the leaves turn a dark shade of green and spaced out"

Yest I am now getting the picture, it is not over-watering (as most would think) the reason behind yellowing of leaves, but must be too much sunshine (of course !, after all it's located on roof top)

I can trust that wiki page and take some action because long back when there was three days rain with not much sun I had the leaves becoming dark green.

And so the funny thing I can imagine is that the dark pigment Chlorophyll in leaves will increase (hence turn green) in an attempt to absorb sunlight more efficiently also they space out so that each leaf can do their job like an army unit and the plant would produce it's food.On the other-hand the leaves become Yellow (reducing chlorophyll) and moreover they curl saying the sunshine it's morethan enough for me !!

Well that's leaf dynamics for you
Never know it must be true
And leaf colour is a clue
Even leaves can change hue !!

This message was edited Nov 22, 2012 8:36 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America