Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Houseplants: Growing wheatgrass in Wash basin

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 8, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 11, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9330230

Hi friends please see this pic where I decided to grow Wheatgrass in old Cement/Mosaic Sink.

I have filled the bottom of sink(about 2 inches) with Red soil and then I added abit of Superphosphate+Neem cake+Vermicompost. Then again added 1 inch layer of Red soil mixed in 1:1 with Coco-peat.

Finally I added a handful of Wheat seeds and nicely covered them with 1:1 mix of Coco-peat+Vermicompost.

Now just waiting for the Wheat to sprout.

Thumbnail by burraganesh
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
12:57 AM

Post #9339618

Hi Burraganesh, have the the wheat seeds sprouted yet? That is a nice big sink to use for growing plants in!

Could you tell us more about the Neem cake? I don't think I've ever heard of that before. Thanks!
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 22, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9339853

Yes Ladypearl they have already sprouted and tomorrow I am going to post a pic of it here. By the way Neem cake is the residue left after the Neem seeds are pressed and oil is extracted, here they sell crushed pieces of it.

As you are aware Neem (Azadarichta Indica) is a native plant of India which is often prayed to as Divine mother, even research has show Neem to have many Anti-Bacterial/Anti-fungal properties. Thus Neem seed cake can be used to control harmful Nematodes in the soil.
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 22, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9340278

Hey see these pics of my Wheatgrass which has grown.As you have seen from Top-view it's dense but not too dense so that some air can flow and prevent any harmful fungus from sticking to this plant.
Third pic is just a closeup of the same so you can't see that sink.

Sorry for any poor quality of pic because I don't have Digital cam(these pics were taken from my mobile)

This message was edited Nov 22, 2012 8:02 PM

Thumbnail by burraganesh   Thumbnail by burraganesh   Thumbnail by burraganesh      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9340587

Your wheatgrass is beautiful (very healthy looking). The pictures are good so don't worry about that - phones take good pictures really.

Thank you for the information about the neem cakes. I never thought about what happened to the residue after the oil is extracted but I see it can be put to good use in the garden.

When you juice the wheat grass do you mix it with other kinds of juice to drink?
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 23, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9340883

Yes Lady, last sunday I juiced Wheatgrass in Orange and added about 4-5 Basil leaves and it was much better than the raw taste.

This wheatgrass that's grown in Sink though, I am going to feed it to a cow (sentiment), it's like offering our first harvest to god.

Next time (after sowing seeds again) I am planning to add a bit of Honey to the juice and see how it tastes.

Actually the first yield is highly nutritious and the next yield can be used as feed to animals.It's always preferable to add a bit of coco-peat every time and add fresh seeds, rather than consuming juice made of second / third yields.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9340916

I will try adding some orange (juice) to wheat grass juice too. It is sure to be better than just plain wheat. Honey sounds like a good idea too.
By coco-peat do you mean shredded coconut hulls?
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

November 23, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9340962

yeah coco-peat is readily sold here at 10 Rs/kg , means 1 USD for 5 kgs.

you can google for its dealers in your area.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9341706

Okay, thank you burraganesh.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America