New London, NH(Zone 5a)

Any ideas what this is? Photo taken yesterday. The stalks are a purplish colour. There are thorns, spread far apart from each other. Shrub about 7-8 feet tall, in a field.

Thumbnail by mango61 Thumbnail by mango61
Brunswick, GA

Sounds like a young Honey Locust tree. Long thorns. Surprisingly weedy.

New London, NH(Zone 5a)

They formed a wide clump about 20 feet long, so I don't think it's a tree ...

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I don't see a single thorn in the images you provided.

It does look a lot like the invasive species that may go by the name Fallopia japonica now, and has been termed Japanese Knotweed and other common names. I don't believe this species is known for having thorns.

This plant can create huge masses via underground colonizing behavior, and especially likes riparian zones within which to spread - but doesn't necessarily require such conditions.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to Japanese Knotweed, definite. A seriously nasty invasive weed.

Resin

New London, NH(Zone 5a)

There are thorns -- I touched them. It's not Knotweed ... we have lots of that on our street, near a brook. Knotweed has a much sturdier stem than this did.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

The seed panicles have fairly sharp bristly bits which can easily be taken for thorns when dry in autumn. And the stems are starting to rot down for the winter now. Sorry, but this absolutely is Japanese Knotweed. I know it far too well.

Resin

New London, NH(Zone 5a)

All I can say is that it looks nothing like the rest of the knotweed in this area right now.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Possibly this area has been treated with herbicide giving it a totally different appearance.

Easy solution is to collect some of this obviously vigorous plant, and bring it back to a location where lots of closeup imagery can be procured.

Take a pic of the whole patch while you are out there, too.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

VV

Thumbnail by GardenGuyKin

Hi, Kin!

Nice thumbs, and appreciated. Just back from Savannah, and I've got my Bluegrass groove going - or Orchard Grass, as the case may be.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.