Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Heirloom Vegetables: Diggin' those roots

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9330561

Just scraped away the two inches of snow on top of my root veggie bed in search of looking for parsnips for dinner and discovered more than I planned on finding. Planted 20 parsnips, variety Hollow Crown from around 1850, received all 20 for a total weight of 46.3 pounds. Over 2.3 pounds apiece. Score!!! Same garden bed earlier this year, American Purple top Rutabagas from around 1920, as big as softballs.
Please show some of your roots.

Thumbnail by DougBert   Thumbnail by DougBert
Click an image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
10:58 PM

Post #9476929

I have no roots to show but what did you do with all of those?
DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9502037

I cut up a parsnip and boil with potatoes for a nice surprise of mashed potatoes. Makes the guests go hummmm what is that flavor. With the leftover mashed potatoes, and parsnip, make a delightful potato soup. The other thing I like to do is roast root vegetables, various root vegetables cut into similar size, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt in a 350 degree oven until fork tender. (Roasted Root Vegetable Side Dish) Roast parsnips and beets as above that are cut up in bite size pieces; let them cool to room temperature. Drizzle with your favorite vinaigrette and place them on a plate of greens S&P to taste. (Roasted Root Salad) That's a few things that I like to do with those roots. There are still three parsnips left from last year in the basement in a box covered with sand.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9502448

A few days ago I cooked down a chicken carcass for stock, and threw in 2 somewhat withering parsnips along with the onions and onion skins. Smells delish!
DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9506830

Darius, I have never put a parsnip into a chicken stock. But I will now! Thanks for the tip.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9507108

I don't know what the parsnips did to the flavor, as I merely froze it to pressure-can later when I have enough jars to fill the canner.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9659486

I should have added that I grew Belgian endive roots during last summer, dug them and stored the roots in a bucket of slightly damp sand in the root cellar over winter. By January I had fresh Belgian endive roots for salads!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2014
6:40 PM

Post #9738429

Belgian endive roots for greens. hmmmm, wouldnt have thought of that one, wonder what other roots I can convert to my tender greens salads?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 23 Sep 2, 2014 6:00 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America