Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Garden Visitor: The Downy Woodpecker: Woodpeckers

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Visitor: The Downy Woodpecker
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Visitor: The Downy WoodpeckerReplies: 4, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardengirl86
Middleboro, MA

November 12, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9330839

My husband and I have been feeding the woodpeckers for years now. I buy my suet at the supermarket and put it into a metal cage. Just remember to only give them beef suet. This summer we were fortunate enough to see downy woodpecker babies. They sat in the tree next to our deck while the 'father' brought them suet and fed them. I did not know until then that the parent brings them to the feeder and feeds them. This was very exciting for us. Throughout the years we have watched the feeding activity of young bluebirds, hummingbirds, orioles and other various birds, but this is the first year that we have seen the babies of downy woodpeckers come to the feeder.
Thank you for your lovely and informative article.
ShadyLady2
Nashville, TN

November 12, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9330962

I enjoyed the article on Downy Woodpeckers. I've lived in this home in Nashville for 20 years and have always fed the woodpeckers, mostly Downy's and Hairy's. Is so much fun to watch them teach the young to go to the suet feeders. Ours stay around all winter but we always have plenty of peanuts, suet and black oil sunflower for them. My Mother lives with me and she keeps the feeders full. Since she is now retired at 80, she really enjoys watching the birds from the sun room in the mornings. We love our birds. Thanks again for the nice, informative article.
reil
huntingdon
United States

November 12, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9331074

Do any of you have some ideas for keeping these cute little downies from pecking holes in the side of the house?

We hung some netting a bit above where they pecked last time, but short of covering the entire house, they only seem to climb higher!

Thanks!

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9331232

Gardengirl and Shadylady, thanks for sharing info and tips on woodpecker watching and feeding!

Reil, perhaps these websites will help you:

http://www.wildlifedamagecontrol.net/woodpeckers.php
http://birding.about.com/od/birdbehavior/a/Stop-Woodpecker-Damage.htm
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/roundrobin/2011/06/21/can-woodpecker-deterrents-safeguard-my-house/

holly85749
Tucson, AZ

November 12, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9331498

Gwen21,

Thanks for the references! Mylar tape seems like a good bet.

My friend attached a plastic owl to her roof. The next day she found it on the ground, eyes pecked out. It was like the (gila) woodpeckers were saying "Don't mess with us!"

Holly

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Visitor: The Downy Woodpecker Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Article birder17 5 Nov 20, 2012 4:01 PM
Downy Babies Sceloporous 2 Nov 16, 2012 2:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America