Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

November 12, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9330878

Thought it might be time for a new thread since it's been so long.

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276462/

This message was edited Nov 12, 2012 8:00 AM

This message was edited Nov 12, 2012 8:15 AM
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9330916

Thanks for the new thread Janet.

I need to finish getting ready to head to Louisville. A wet and nasty day, but will soldier on through it.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

November 12, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9330939

I guess I'm going to have to move this laptop off the kitchen table when I type because once again I'd typed out a nice little post and poof! it's gone.

Anyway, I can't get in the mood to bake this morning. Pans are greased and the batches measured out and sifted. I think I'll just put that off until tomorrow. I guess that's what retirement does for you. Makes you procrastinate.

Lou, hate to hear that about Cummins. My nephew is an engineer up there for them. I haven't seen him for about a month so I hadn't heard that. We're hoping that they don't up and send him off somewhere far away in the future.

Sue, the price of feed has gone up tremendously to the point I don't see how anyone is making profit on anything. People think it's great to be in the cow business but if they'd see the feed bills that come in here every month they'd wonder just exactly why we do this. I don't see how people can keep 10-15 horses in the field or bunches of pet goats or pot belly pigs, all the animals that eat but don't pay their way, and manage to keep afloat.

Bonnie, the 15th sounds perfect to me. I've got to go tomorrow and have my crown put on so I should be eating just fine by then. Chinese on the west side? How about 11:30?

Herman, the iris is beautiful. Especially this time of year. I used to have some like that but they would usually send up a bloom stalk and it would get froze before it bloomed. I think the iris borers finally did away with it.

Pat, that was smart picking the alcohol free eatery. Everyone had a lovely time, especially you. And there's no wrong in helping to insure that a good time happens by planning ahead a little.

Chele, I do wish you all were down here close. There are folks looking for farm workers and can't find reliable ones. I know the pay wouldn't be the best but a couple that I know, (especially me) would tell you to bring Nolan along with you and would work out. But what is, is.

Think I'd better get over to the farm and at least pretend to be productive today. I'll check in later to see if anyone found the thread.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 12, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9331062

Here's the reason Cummins is cutting back. Fiat bought Case-IH & is putting their Fiat engines in the tractors & combines instead of Cummins engines.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

November 12, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9331139

Hrm. Had no idea Fiat bought them. Because Fiats are ultra-reliable?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9331211

rain today. just won't stop
got to TSC , two new jeans.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9331221

Sue, don't forget those 2 gals. of cider for my SIL!!

Hi everyone...made a batch of hypertufa mushrooms yesterday and today they HAVE to come out of the forms...it's POURING here and COLD!!!! Whine, whine, whine!!!!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9331264

I am so grateful for the warm weekend! I got help from a couple of thehalfway house guys on Saturday, so my porches are clean, pots dumped and cleaned out, they moved some rocks for me and tidied up the yard in general. I forgot to have them bring the storm windows for the screen doors upstairs, but I can get that done eventually. Yesterday I planted some daffs, tulips, and alliums: molly, unifolium, and cerulean. Not sure if I spelled any of that correctly. Then I started worked on edging my little temporary bed so that if we got a huge rain it wouldn't get washed away. It got so dark I could hardly see what I was doing, but it looks OK in the daylight.

Bonnie, I think that you should do whatever necessary to preserve your health and sanity! Seriously, it's your home, and you've certainly had plenty to deal with lately. Son's SO isn't living in an alley somewhere, is she? All of you living together might be just too much of a strain at this point. How long is DS staying? Maybe you should revisit the issue with your husband in a month or so, but be careful so that you have a window of peace for yourself. I'm not sure how Jesus feels about that, but as someone who grew up in a home where everybody dropped by and stayed-- and stayed, and stayed-- sometimes you need your place to yourself. I've let homeless friends stay with me. A friend who was looking for a pastorate stayed with Josh & I at seminary for about 6 months. She didn't have any money but she cooked and cleaned and kept Josh so happy that I was almost sorry when she did get a job! But then another friend who had open heart surgery came for two weeks and stayed for almost a year, and that was too much.
I even let one of Josh's girlfriends move in when he was in college. And I did it quite purposefully so that I could keep an eye on them and so that he wouldn't get talked into getting married before he was ready.
She stayed for quite some time, but they finally broke up, and I think my instincts were right.

I got a fun book for my birthday. It's a question for each day, for 5 years, so you can compare your answers over a period of time. I'm going to wait for January 1st to start, but I keep peeking at the questions. Today it's, "What song could be your self portrait?" Oh dear, I've already come up with about 10!

What a beautiful iris, Herman. I had one blooming at Thanksgiving a couple years ago so we had it to admire at the table. It could have been 3 dozen roses and it still would not have garnered as much attention as the turkey and the homemade rolls, tho, LOL.

Sue, I love the picture of your sweet pup, contemplating the universe. Maybe you should do a Lucy calendar?

Chele, do your kids have school today? Cincinnati public is off for a 3 day weekend.

Better go and start folding laundry and other exciting pursuits.
CHeers to everyone,
Pat

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9331485

did essay work wth the kids .
savannah is doing Virginia Hamiliton. I am going to get the book Zeely. sounds like a good book
austin is doing John quincy adams ward. not a lot of info on this person. so i m goingto track down the gravesite and take a picture . They also need to do a poster.
let me ask you this
they got their rough drafts back and all it had was a stamp " check grammar " ... ummm isn't that what the teacher does ? needless to say i m a bit irked about this teacher.
These teachers ( at our school ) have such attitudes . austin's grades have gone down. He is afraid to speak up in class for fear of getting a smart A$$ remark from the teacher and or yelled at ,These teachers seem to just have such tones in the class , i don't get it ?
we got a 15 min snow shower today. brrr its cold out.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

November 12, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9331598

Sue, I was truly glad when my kids got into high school so they wouldn't have so many stupid projects that I usually ended up having to help them do--like a model of the Titanic and pronoun and noun books. Just crap that they got nothing out of. And I'll be equally glad when the last one gets out of high school. Most of the time they had fairly decent teachers but there were a few. One in particular was an honors geometry class. The teacher was, plain and simple, an ape. Looked like one and was the south end of the north bound mule. Did absolutely nothing to help the kid and even when we went down there was an AH. She ended up getting help from two other teachers every morning before class. Now those two were teachers.

Pat, the weekend was a blessing to be thankful for for sure. Not many of them going to come our way between now and sping. Today was miserably cold and damp.

Joyce, I have a recipe for hypertufa but I've never gotten around to making any. Even bought the materials. I think the bag of concrete is still out there in the barn somewhere. Probably harder than a rock. I'd love to have some "stone" troughs. I think they're so neat.

Bernie, I hadn't heard that sale had been made. That should explain some things. How's the cabinet business? I got the Dixondale catalog yesterday so I guess spring will get here before I'm ready.

Bonnie, what'd the MD say? Hopefully you're released for just annual check ups. Funny we think we've sent our kids out into the world and they keep coming back. Mine haven't come back...a couple have never left. Not complaining...they're, most of the time reasonable adults. I just wish they'd help a little with the cleaning and picking up without having to be introduced to it each time. Hitting the laundry basket with the dirty socks would be nice.

Got some green tomatoes chopped up for three batches of relish. I think I'm down to 5 crates in the cooler. I'm also trying to get some pumpkins cooked down and in the freezer. Got them draining in the fridge so I can sack them up tomorrow. Bake some more tomorrow.

I think it's time to quit for tonight. I think I hear a book calling my name...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9331646

Well, it was a very miserable day today, especially since I was driving in it and heading to Louisville. We have a new SUV and I had never driven it to Louisville, and had the task of parking in a parking garage. It looks wide, but I do love the back up camera to help with figuring out how close I am to something. It goes wacko when it thinks you are not stopping when you should. I have done that 2 times, and it is just beeping it's little warning beeper really fast. Went to Sam's and stocked up on paper products and got a very nice looking ham for church Thanksgiving dinner this coming Sunday.

Any way, no I was not released. She says that there are 2 places that are 99 % healed, but I am to continue with the sitz baths and return in 3 weeks, and in all probability she will release me then.

Pat, thanks for your perspective on my situation. DS and his SO are not getting along, and DS says that he wants it to be over. Losing their place came at a good time for that, as he thought he could come here, and then it would be a good excuse to just stay. I think he needs to do lots of talking and leveling with her. Although, I have gotten along with her well, but have lately become quite put out with her on some decisions that she has made. I think she just automatically assumed that if he came here to stay then she was welcome too. I think that I need to sit down with her and just tell her that I certainly am sympathetic to the situation, but with the holidays coming, and DGD being out of school and will probably be here part of the time, that I just don't think my nerves will take that extra stress. Besides, she has family and until she can get another place, she needs to be with some of them.

Tomorrow I have a dentist appointment, and will get groceries while I am out, so that I can stay home on Wednesday. Will buy the church's turkey and start thawing and brining it for our dinner on Sunday.

Janet, you have dmail.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 12, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9331666

We have work for most of the winter, plus another job I have bid that I should hear back from soon.
Got most of the garden items on hand that we need next spring. Just have to order seeds. Might wait a bit with that.
Baby chicks coming Nov 29 from Ohio, Mt. Healthy Hatchery.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

November 13, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9331825

Bernie, is most of these jobs remodels or new construction? There seems to be very few new houses going up down here. Most folks are redoing what they have or maybe adding on. I saw two 12 X 90 greenhouse frames go up on Craigslist. They want $500 each. I'm thinking about calling on them. That sounds pretty reasonable.

Got to go to the dentist this morning and get a crown put on a tooth. I hope this one last longer than the other one. I swear, I've probably bought that dentist a very expensive car over the past few years with what I've paid them.

On kids and SO's. My parents let my brother and his whatever-you-want-to-call-her, (my parents got to calling her something I can't print here and never thought I'd hear them say) and it got to the point that she didn't do anything. Holed up in the back bedroom with her laptop, wouldn't lift a finger to do anything, would come in the kitchen after a meal and get something to eat and leave a mess, never cleaned the room. All she was good at was stirring up trouble, of which she did plenty. A lot of complicated mess there and my father wouldn't throw them both out because it upset my mother but thankfully about a month or go ago the computer broke and my brother said he wasn't going to fix it and she packed her bags and left. Apparently a week or go ago she called wanting to come back and my mother told them that she wasn't welcome back and my brother didn't push the issue. At least that's one stress that they don't have anymore. And one less mouth to feed.

Bonnie, we'll hope that the next time you go back they'll say they don't need to see you for a year.

Better get the kitchen cleaned up. Another thankless job...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 13, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9331834

Not really remodeling, just new kitchens. Then some have us put on new door & window trim to match cabinets.
Next job, people got a price on a new house, $260,000. Decided to redo their present house instead of going that far in debt. Our price to completely change their first floor will be around $18,000. That's new cabinets everywhere, new doors & trim to match. They are going with Alder wood, beautiful hardwood.
This is an Alder door.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9332304

Good afternoon.

Janet did we go to the same dentist? I went for a cleaning and on the xrays it showed an abscess on the roots of a tooth that has had a root canal done on it. Gonna have to have it fixed, but first a round of antibiotics. Said they would drill a nole in the tooth and put antibiotics around the root, then see what happens after that. Geez, I will be paying for that tooth 2 times. I go to Buecker & Long there in Shelbyville.

Went to Walmart, the pharmacy, and the grocery So that frees my day for tomorrow, all except I have to be present here at home for a telephone conference call at 1:00.

Bernie, makes more sense to remodel than to spend all that money building a new house. even adding another bedroom, and bath would be lots cheaper than doing that. Wish you were here, I am having laminate laid in all of my house. So tired of trying to deal with carpet and trying to keep it clean.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9332360

Bonnie that hurts just you telling us about it . yikes.
FIL needs prayers and well wishes. He has bladder cancer. and an inlarged prostate. he goes in for surgery on the 20th. he is on oxygen so i hope there are no complcations.
kinda tired
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

November 13, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9332498

Actually Bonnie, that's who I'm thinking about switching to at the first of the year. Buecker did a root canal and a cap on one of my teeth before I got married, over 32 years ago and I've not had a bit of trouble with that tooth since. I'm going to Burch in Frankfort and I've had several crowned in the back and two of them got cavities underneath and I had to have them redone. And all their help in the front office are real itches. The crown set me back well over $800. Just outrageous.

Bernie is alder the same as birch? That wood has a really nice look to it. I'm not big on a lot of grain running through my wood. I guess that's why I tend to move towards maple and walnut. It good to hear you're going to have plenty of work to keep everyone busy for the year. I'm supposed to be having one of the fellows that worked on the house that I'm STILL not in come by and see about leveling it up. I think when we went in there and drywalled the old girl it's caused her to settle some more. It originally had what my husband called beaver board on it and this drywall has really weighed it down.

Sue, I hope your FIL has as uncomplicated path to recovery as he possibly can. It sounds like he has his share of physical problems.

Went to look at a Jersey heifer this evening. I think I might buy her if the seller will have her preg checked. I don't need an open heifer to carry another nine months when she's coming up on 2 years old right now. I'm probably crazy but I wouldn't mind milking a few cows again. I know AnnaZ would say I'm crazy as a June bug but there ya go.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9332534

Well, Janet, let me just save Annaz the trouble. You are crazy as a june bug!

The crown that I am having trouble with was done by a dentist in Taylorsville, and for the life of me can't remember his name. Supposedly he was so much cheaper and I went and had that tooth done. Yep, he was lots cheaper, but guess you get what you pay for!

Sue, I am so sorry to hear about your DFIL. DH's DB who was killed in the accident had bladder cancer, and in a way, I think that he was spared some pain and suffering by being killed, instead of having to deal with the bladder cancer. They removed one testicle about 3 months before he was killed, so that told us that it wasn't confined to the bladder.

I am praying that your DFIL will remain pain free and that his problems that cause him to need oxygen will take him before the cancer gets that bad. ((Sending hugs and sincere thoughts and prayers))

Bernie, nice looking door. I guess I had never seen Alder finished. When I was looking for my dining room table and hutch, we were at a cabinet shop in Logootee, Indiana and we saw a table that was made from Hackberry. It was pretty, and had a hint of green to the color. We didn't buy that one, but just saying different trees sure do give a variety of finishes.

Have the church's turkey in brining. Bought it today, and it is so big that it will take it several days to thaw. I have it in the fridge in the garage. That is one thing that spare refrigerators are good for, keeping the kitchen one uncluttered around the holidays.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 13, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9332545

Alder takes stain where birch will not.
We did a Knotty Alder kitchen in a condo on Mille Lacs lake in northern MN.
Last picture is part of a kitchen in town near us.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9332754

Bernie nice work on the cabnets. I designed my kitchen area and i dearly regret it. i wanted the double oven ... i lost so much cabinet space and our island is a corner style... well it just is hard to work in my kitchen with very little counter space.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9332775

Sue, I designed mine too, and I should have left it to the professionals. I have virtually no counter space, and the island is just a catch all for anything that comes in the front door.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9332832

LOL yes Bonnie same problem here at my house. its a natural catastrophe every day. what was i thinking ?
if i could move the stove top to another part of the of the kitchen and that would be awesome but i doubt that will happen any time soon. LOL
off and running
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

November 14, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9332865

I've heard people say that you have to build at least 3 houses for yourself before you figure out what works for you best for you. I suspect I'm going to wish I'd moved the fridge down the wall at the other house to give me more counter space between it and the stove if I ever get up there. Right now it looks like a fairly dark corner. If the fellow that was selling me the cabinets would have just made a few gentle suggestions it'd sure been nice. He knew I didn't know what I was doing. I'm sure he could have sold some more extras if he'd just pointed them out or asked if I wanted them.

Bonnie, I wonder if that dentist in Taylorsville was the same one that several people in my office used to go to. Said he was really cheap. I was never one to jump from one to the other so I never tried him.

Bernie, those cabinets are all beautiful. It's clear you and your helpers have a way with wood. And changing the subject, I want to order some onions that will store for more than a couple of months. Have you gotten any from Dixondale that fit the bill? Are you doing chicks for fryers or layers?

Bonnie, I don't know how many onions you use but if you want to order some bundles they'll be pretty good onion as a good price. No sales tax and free shipping.

Anybody else up and moving this morning?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 14, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9332916

Chicks are for layers.
We've planted Red Zepplin last couple years. It is a nice onion & supposed to keep 6-8 months.
Otherwise for intermediate day onions, there not many that keep over a few months.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9332921

Janet, I am up and moving. Trying to get accomplished in one day what I put off for an entire 2 weeks! Ain't working.

At the time I went to that dentist in Taylorsville, I didn't have a regular dentist, so tried him, and honestly even with the lower prices, wasn't impressed. The waiting room floors were dusty, and never seemed to have had the opportunity to become acquainted with a dust mop. Maybe not hiring a cleaning crew was his secret to lower prices.

I got Dixondales catalog the other day too. DH says that our onions aren't keeping well in the crawl space under the house either. So I may not be ordering any onion plants from them or anybody else, and just depending on our onion sets to produce what we will use.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9333123

On the subject of kitchen design: When we moved into this house, I got a gas line installed and bought a gas cooktop (which I love). The orginal 1955 electric wall oven worked for the first couple years. Then I had to replace it, and I haven't been happy with it since. It's a small oven, and I'm always cussing because I can't get enough room for things to cook properly. Then the fridge died and I got a new fridge & not really happy with that, either. Should have torn that whole wall out so I could have gotten a french door fridge, and a regular sized wall oven. I have just enough space, but only if I tore it all out and replaced everything. I'm in the same fix as almost everyone else: too much money invested in this house to move, but still want improvements to make it really loveable. And remodeling costs seem a lot higher than in MN, Bernie!

SInce DS gave me his old i-phone for my birthday, it's been stubborn about sending texts, so I need to take it to the phone store & see if it's a fixable problem. I've decided that as much as I depend on it, all this technology is taking up too much of my life. Not sure how I'm going to cut down, but I'm going to start it one way or another. I've spent too much time already this week on trying to salvage the info I put up on the old Webshots site. Webshots got sold and the new owners decided they didn't want to preserve it as it was. They came up with anew desktop application for photos, but it has none of the old webshots features.Now you can't get your pictures out in the same format that you put them in---GRRRRRR. My advice: don't get SMILE. It will not leave you smiling.

Pat

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9334320

Gosh, guess everybody was busy today.

Pat, I am assuming that SMILE is a web hosting site where you can post your pictures? I wondered when you said you had/have a wall oven, do you like it? I always thought I would, but now I don't have any room for one. I have a hood over my stove, and wanted to take it out and put in a microwave over the stove, but I had a professional chef say that I wouldn't like it. So on his advice I didn't do it, but still wish I could have an opportunity to cook in a kitchen with one like that and see how I like it. I think that sometimes our kitchen designs don't meet our expectations because we are usually seeing it on paper and not having the opportunity to actually witness working in one with that design. Since I am limited in what I can do to upgrade my kitchen, I am thinking about getting my cabinets updated by having the large pantry cabinet retrofitted with the pull out shelves. As it is now, the shelves are so deep, that anything that gets pushed to the back is "lost", unless you are brave enough to take everything out of the front and really look in the back.

Janet and I had lunch out today. We both enjoy a Chinese Buffet, and I think we got caught up on all our family doings and her retirement etc that has happened since the spring when we last got together.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 15, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9334369

The kitchen we are starting on now will have a pantry 32" deep. Shelves roll out nearly all the way.
This is one we did years ago.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9334375

Bernie, that is what I have in mind. My pantry cabinet is 36", I think. Will measure that one tomorrow.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9334474

Bernie you killing me !

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

November 16, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9334523

Second set of trays for Invisalign, much more intense than the first one. As in, don't even THINK about biting into an apple. lol
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9334576

Ouch Celene. I had braces for about a year about 2 years ago, and dreaded the appointments that tightened them. So sore that it was difficult to eat for a few days.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9334976

i can't believe i need braces again ! hope you can get some relief soon Celene.
well apple cider jelly turned out pretty good. its not a clear jelly so i m wondering if it looks appetizing enough ?
second batch added some red hot candies.
got my garlic in the ground finely LOL only 1 month behind scheduale LOL
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

November 19, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9336902

Looks like there wasn't much going on here this weekend.

The Louisville market was extremely good Saturday for this time of year. Lexington about average and Frankfort, well, let's just say I'm glad it was the last week there. Now we're down to 2 markets. Money's going to start getting tight around here. We've sold every animal that's not carrying a calf, nursing a calf, eligible to be a bred heifer or to be used for market beef. I guess you can say we've pruned all the dead wood around here.

Went down to the cooler Saturday morning and had got concerned real fast. It was sitting on 29 degrees. We pulled out all the potatoes and got them to the basement. I'm praying that they didn't have time to freeze. That's the problem with having an outdoor cooler. When it gets cold outside it gets cold inside too. But now I have to find a place to put about 900 pounds of potatoes. The apples will be fine at that temp as long as it doesn't get any colder. I guess I'll take them to the basement at Harrisonville but I hate carting them up there. They'll have to go though because they can't stay in the farm basement once the wood stove gets going. Always something around here.

Bought a pressure washer and tried it out yesterday. Cleans market crates really well. The yard is full of clean crates to put up today after the frost dries off. Now I'm going to try it out on the porch and siding at Harrisonville. Kate now wants to try it out on her car. As long as she puts it away after she finishes, I don't care.

Went and picked up a fresh turkey yesterday at Erlanger. Miranda has a customer that has a turkey/chicken farm up there and she wanted to try one. He gave her a huge one last year but when we cooked it I told her to take it out of the over at 12 and she thought I said 2 so it was drier than a desert. We made dry turkey salad out of it. We got to watch them on the kill line. You know, I guess that's my farm raising because watching them work hasn't turned me off a good turkey dinner one bit! His wife told us that 75% or more of the farm's income will come in these last two months of the year. They'll be killing turkeys daily all day long until Christmas. I think I'll keep the cows and sheep thank you.

Better get moving. I got some pumpkin I cooked last night to scoop out of the shell and come relish to get in the jars and it ain't gettin' there by itself.

Hope you all have a good day.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9338755

Thought I'd best drop in and wish everyone a great Thanksgiving, before everybody gets on the road or gets crazy at the grocery. Baby sis is cooking for the nig day, so all I have to do is show up and make fruit salad and dressing. Friday I'm planning on heading to the craft fair in Covington. Plus I want to see the Lincoln movie before too long.
Concrete guy came to finish smoothing out the sides of the porch & ramp he put in well over a month ago. I asked him about the surface of the porch, whixh is so rough I don't think I could sit on it in the summer (my plan) because I think it would tear up any bathing suit. He claimed that the original porch had been rough troweled but it had worn down. I find that VERY hard to believe. He said it would be dangerous if it were not roughed up. I allowed that I had not yet slipped on the smooth part of the porch yet, so why should I expect to on the new part. He mumbled and grumbled and I think I'm going to have to look for a solution on my own. He did bring me a beautiful load of dirt, with not a lump in it, so it does look nicer out there. Maybe I'll have to find an old fashioned pair of roller skates to wear down the concrete!

Pat

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9338883

Pat just make sure to take pictures of you roller skating on the concrete LOL :)
wishing everyone safe and good energy for the holidays.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9339032

Happy Turkey day from me, too. I know I've a lot to be thankful for, and you my friends are definitely part of my thanks!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9339145

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Enjoy the day and enjoy being with family. I will enjoy being with family and eating a great meal, and enjoy leaving after a couple more hours. My family all get along pretty good as long as nobody is together too long. LOL Lou

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9339245

Tim is stopping by the hospital. Al has not been able to keep food down. But they are giving him real food ? not jello and or broth ? . They won't let him go until he has a ... well... you know... don't make me say it ... poop
I do think one more day in the hosp is a good idea . We can delay our dinner plans or what ever the need is. Grace is doing good. Honestly i thought she would drop dead from worry yesterday . It made me nervous wreck to watch her. I had to go in the nurses station several times to explain . THey were nice and understood . So they came out every 30 min or so to give an update.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

November 21, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9339447

Sue, I'm surprised too that they're giving him regular food. Especially if he's not keeping anything down. Personally the hospital is where he needs to be until he's doing all the necessary things.

Pat, I would think a somewhat slick finish would be a must for a porch. The only time we wanted a rough surface on concrete was when we were pouring concrete in the barns where cattle would be walking. Go figure.

I got a few things done today. We worked heifers with the vet and found that 2 were bred that weren't supposed to be. 4 months along. That went over well. But hey, if they'd gotten weaned on time they wouldn't have been near a bull and wouldn't have been bred. I think DH's going to let them go to term and hope for the best. Got some more green tomato relish salted down and some chopped tomatoes in the freezer for some jam. Me and my helper got a bunch of fabric mat pulled up out of the garden, folded up and in the barn. Also got the last of the daylilies planted. I was planning to plant a little of the garlic Bonnie sent home with me but got home and there it was still on the console of the SUV. Guess it'll have to wait until next time. Got some maple apple butter going right now. That should just about close the kitchen for tonight.

Sounds like everyone had their plans for Thanksgiving. We're going to my parents for lunch and then Sunday we'll do my MIL's. I think I'm going to end up cooking there since SIL had some plans already made for the day. Which is fine since I'm the one that chose the day so it wouldn't interfere with market.

Anyone who's traveling for Thanksgiving , have a safe trip. Enjoy your family and have a fine day tomorrow.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9339452

Janet, you still have time to get it planted before winter. And the WL are saying rain on Friday. Boo Hiss. I was going to try to dig some daylilies and get them moved to other places. DH was asked in spring to make a place for them and he still hasn't plowed a place for them yet. I think I have room in another flower bed to move a few of them.

Looks like we are going to two dinners tomorrow. One at lunch at his cousin's, and then for supper at a niece's house. Oh, joy, have to look like I am hungry at the last one.

To all who have to travel, be safe on the roads.

To everybody where ever you are, and whoever you are with. Happy Thanksgiving. We have much to be thankful for!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9339586

Hey, gang. I just read and caught up from 10/29 until today. I was getting ready for a flight to Las Vegas 11/2 for a conference, and I am still out west. It worked out for me to drive to mid-coast California and stay with DG's Stellapathic (Stella) for 8 days, then drive down the coast to San Diego and meet another friend I've known online for about 11 years. Then, I drove up to Long Beach and I'm at the home of DG's DaisyAvenue (Michelle). They're not on DG anymore, but we keep in touch on Facebook.

I'm spending Thanksgiving here with Michelle's family, then flying to Austin Friday afternoon to visit my good friends who moved there a couple months ago. I'll return home December 2. It's been the trip of a lifetime - my first time out west, ever. Howie has been swamped and couldn't get away. I miss him! I've worked some while out here and will work some in Austin.

Having surgery December 11, so when this opportunity came up, I was extra motivated to enjoy it!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9339785

Sounds like a fun trip, Kimberly... give Michelle a BIG hug from me!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9340152

yes Ky i m surprised too.
Lucy is limping today. i think she just had to much fun in the sun
our pie was a yukky mistake. I got a pumpkin pie from our bakery here in town and well... when she handed it to me , my first instinct was to ask her for another one not so burnt ... i should have went with that ... oh gawd it was awful ! I just can't believe they would give someone that pie ???? i would never have sold a pie that burnt if it were me.
Our turkey from Honey Baked ham store was well... just had no turkey flavor ... better luck next year. It was just a crazy holiday . LOL
get it right next year.
GW you sound like your a traveling queen. You sure are going some great places. Have a good trip .
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9340220

Kimberly, so jealous of your travels. No, have fun and enjoy.

Sue, aww sorry about the pie. I have bought ham from the Honey Baked Ham Store, but never a turkey. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Glad it is over. I am so stuffed and didn't need any of it. I think I could be just as thankful over a bowl of bean soup and corn bread! No the food doesn't matter, it is the company you keep that matters.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9340458

Have a long, 10AM-10PM, but Good Thanksgiving Day.

Dru had fun and WAS/IS Whipped! LOL!
By next year we should be able to leave him here.
(He's up to a bit over an hour on him own w/o causing any major problems at the house.)
This is the first time he has seen Mat since he gave Dru to us back in May.
He went nuts for a while then came running over to me. Saw Robyn and went flying to her...LOL!
When we left our second stop Mat went to stick his head into the truck window to pet Dru goodbye...
he growled and barked at him.
Stopped barking when Mat started talking to him but the throat rumble never stopped.
Started wagging his tail when I got in and nose bumping my arm.
So it's safe to say his Bonding is complete.

Off to Tractor Supply for Dog and Cat Food... and more than probably a new Sock Monkey Toy!!

Temps are dropping like a Stone!
52 at 7:30AM... 42 now at 10:30!

Thumbnail by henryr10   Thumbnail by henryr10         

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9342048

That's a great picture of Dru...and Robyn looks like she's been busy baking as always!! Hope you all had good and thankful Thanksgivings!

(Good to see you Darius and Kim!)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9342184

can you say " GOOOOOOOO BUCKEYES "
got jessica's garden half done today. had pics but can't find them ? lost in my comp somewhere.
hi cookie ! big ~~~~~ to you .

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9342410

here are some pics
i found them

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors      

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9342477

Sue that looks nice. DH went and bought a tree on Friday to put at his DB's grave. It is a good size tree, and he is going to put lights on it for Christmas. I showed him your picture, and he really liked the wrapped packages. Did you wrap them, or are they plastic? He was worried about them blowing away.

We had a very nice Thanksgiving. Went to DH's cousin's for a noon meal, then on to his DN's at supper time. Supposedly we were just going to visit there, but I ended up eating, and I was so full when we got home. She had a really great dessert. A red velvet cake, but the second layer was a cheese cake. Oh, Yum, two of my favorite desserts!

I am making a vow to start walking again, and to lose some weight. If I don't, I am not buying bigger clothes, so I will just buy material and wear it like a toga, wrapped around me. As clumsy as I am, I can imagine the falls that would cause!

Ric, the dog is a keeper. I am thinking you sounded like a proud papa talking and showing us the pictures. Yep, yours even if you wanted to do otherwise.

I got out candles for our 3 windows that face the front of the house, and that is the sum total of my Christmas decorations! I just don't have the energy to get them down from the attic, put everything up, and then after Christmas, take everything down and store it away again. There is a lady in our area that hires the local florist to come decorate for her. Maybe if I come in to an inheritance, I can get that done too!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9342713

the packages are the already made kind you find for Garden holiday decorations. i got them at Lowes. ? should be on sale by this point. You can find them at Menards, Home Depot places like that . I used garden staples to help keep them from blowing away.
By dumb luck i found some when cleaning out the barn. LOL woohooo best find ever ! I m also using some bamboo stakes for the taller ones for wind support.
boy today s cold ! brrrr in the 20's
Bonnie i have gained to much weight also. Emotional eating at its best uhg. I will walk with you .

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9345208

good morning
how is everyone doing ?
brrr its cold out this week.
we may get some rain ?
hope everyone is safe and warm
not much going on here :( gosh when your not working feel like i have nothing to talk about LOL
i may take Lucy for a walk
i did start back at the gym yesterday and i can feel it today.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9345222

I have nothing to talk about either, maybe because I've been sick for 3 weeks and haven't done anything. I actually felt decent yesterday and did a few household chores.

Today I hope to get some of the soup stock out of my freezer and get it canned. My freezer is so full I couldn't get a toaster struedel in it, not that I'd ever eat one of those. Bow hunting just opened and one of my self-employed friends is taking 2 weeks off to hunt. I usually get fresh venison from him so I need to make room for it in the freezer.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9345229

Good morning, since I am not expecting any new additions to the freezer, grin I can skip Darius' jobs, and Sue, since I didn't go back to the gym, can't tell you about my aches and pains, grin Sue, I guess I am just plain old boring. Nothing new here, but the colder weather.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9345355

darius hope you start to feel better soon . Good deal on the deer.
Hi Bonnie. ~~~ how is your Dh doing ?
still don't know what to do today ?
watching Alton Brown

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9345374

I had to make a trip to the bank with a fellow church member to get her on the signature card for the bank accounts. Washing a load of laundry, and got that when I stripped a bed making sure that my DTS has a nice comfy place to sleep tonight. Need to make some pimento cheese for a supper we are having at church on Friday night, and so it goes. Just piddly things, but all necessary.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9345612

i think this is the quiet before the storm ??
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9345806

Oh, no Sue, what storm do you think we are getting? A weather one? No, you are talking about Christmas aren't you? I have my decorations up. I have 3 windows that face the front of the house, and I have candles in them, and then I put a string of lights down in a very pretty vase, and turned them on, and that is my Christmas tree for this year! Very easy to put out and easy to get the decorations down and put away when it over.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9346058

yes Bonnie . the holidays i meant . :) sounds like your house is pretty.
our tree fell yesterday :( i guess lucy tried to grab something off of it ? savannah redecorated it.
so today i m off to town to pick up things. try to get some presents for the kids if there are any toys left LOL
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

November 30, 2012

Post #9346118

Well, I guess we're just a bunch of terribly boring individuals. Nothing exciting going on here either. I did manage to finally finish up all the green tomatoes either in the freezer for jam or in the jar as green tomato relish. Now for the apples. I've still got about 10 bushels in the cooler for market. I sure hope people get in a more buying mood for apples as this next month will probably be the last. Otherwise I get to do something with all those darned things. Right now I made a bunch of apple pie jam yesterday and brought a bunch of strawberries out and made them into jam. Didn't get much done yesterday. DH was in Louisville the past 2 days for lawyer classes so the girls and I have been doing the feeding at night so they wouldn't have to do it in the dark. Yesterday afternoon I ran back on the farm to check on some cows that haven't been getting fed and of course they were in a field where they weren't supposed to be. Fence broke in two places. Back to the house to get fencing supplies. By the time I got back they'd picked up and moved two fields over to where they thought the best grass was. Never mind they had plenty where they were.

We've seperated the ram from the ewes and I've been feeling sorry for him cooped up in the barn so I've been tying him out in the yard. As a result I now have a ram that's broke to lead. Funny how fast he came around when he figured out I was his ticket out of the barn each day. Now if he could just get me to let him back in with the flock. Not gonna happen.

Baking some cakes for market. They're having a holiday bazaar at the church where we have market and it's supposed to be nice tomorrow so I'm hoping that we'll do well. Lexington won't do as well because we have a home UK ballgame tomorrow and none of the regular buyers want to come out while that's going on. Oh well. You don't mess with basketball in this state.

Darius, hope you get to feeling better. 3 weeks is a long time to have the crud. As for exercise, since it's frosted and garden is no more I'm moving on to my winter clothes which are a bigger size. I'll be the broad side of a barn if this keeps up. DD wants a treadmill. She just might get it just so I can use it!

Better get hopping. Got to get the market veggies picked and cleaned up today. At least its a great day to be outside.

Y'all post more. Even if it's to say nothing!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9346229

Back from the hospital with older DS. Everything went fine, and we stopped by Cracker Barrel for breakfast after leaving the hospital. As usual older DS sent her food back, it is a given with her, so I wanted to tell the waitress to have another order ready, because that was going to happen. Embarrases me, but it is who she is.

Need to do some more stuff for tonight's church, so will check in later, or more probably tomorrow.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9346446

did some christmas shopping.
got some new things for jessica's garden
made two little hats for the guardians of her garden. Got the lights on the tree.
found a nice memorial ornament
found a 2 lbs candy cane LOL that is a must have .. don't cha know
tried Bean Burgers.. ( vegetarian burgers ). they are actually good with some added hot sauce LOL

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9350003

Hey to everybody. I've been down with a lousy bug, including fever dreams that make me more tired than if I hadn't slept. I hope I feel better soon because I really want to start some caramels and some baking, but the kitchen and I are not on friendly terms right now. I've talked to Michele the last couple of days. Nolan is usually chirping around in the background. She is still hoping that she can get a house closer to Mount Orab, and is looking for a job.
That's about all I know at the moment. Need to go eat some more jello.
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9350016

Pat, I hope that you are soon well, and up and about, feeling like your old self, or better if that is the case! Is it the horrible virus that has hit here, vomiting and the runs at the other end. Making it impossible to decide which end belongs over the commode first? My sympathies to you!

My family had their Christmas dinner on Sunday, and everybody but the college kids made it. Some I hadn't seen since the summer. It was good, but the food didn't look like there would be enough. I told DH to ask the blessing and whispered that maybe he needed to invoke the prayer that Jesus used when he fed the multitudes. He whispered back, what was that? Hehe, I just said that, and told him that it was all in the way that he uttered the words. Anyway there was enough, with leftovers, so guess his prayer worked! It was funny, we had 3 pecan pies and a lemon pound cake for desserts. Seems like everybody had pecans on the brain.

Had a Dr appointment on Monday, and got good news! She uttered the words that I had wanted to hear for a long time, "for now, you are cancer free". Meaning, and I already knew it, that it could come back at any time. Well, this is the best Christmas gift I could get. Thanks everybody for the prayers, now send a word of thanks for answered prayer.

Janet, how are the markets? Did you get the garlic in the ground, or are you trying to sell it? Just wondering if you had tested your market to see how it would do. I am thinking about adding some apple gourds and some ornamental gourds to a worthless piece of ground, and hope that there will be demand for it at the market this spring. I am going to try it, on a small scale to see how it goes.

Hope all are well and getting ready for Christmas. It will be here before we are ready, or I am ready for sure.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

December 5, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9350291

Pat, hope you get to feeling better soon. There's a bug going around down there, it takes a week to get moving from it and 3 weeks to feel like you did before you got the darned thing. Hope that's not what you have.

Darius, hope you're feeling better too.

Sue, the decorations are neat. I haven't put the first Christmas anything up. I have at least let my fingers do some shopping. The postlady, UPS man and Fedex man know the way up the drive now. One even brings treats for the dogs. They are in love with him. Still have some stuff to get. Might have to do a little more "finger shopping" this afternoon.

Bonnie, the markets always take a big dive after Thanksgiving. Right now they'll make gas and grocery money but not much else. I planted the garlic cloves from the bulbs that were damaged. Made a row maybe 20 ft. long. We'll see how that goes. The rest will probably slowly sell over the winter. I think you'd probably sell the apple gourds provided you don't have them out the wazoo and a few of the ornamental but don't go overboard. Also, probably need to make sure you pick every gourd out of the field. One of the other vendors didn't a few years ago and he still has volunteer gourds coming up. And of course if they're in with other vining crops you may not be able to see them or tell what they are until they start setting gourds.

Got two pots of salsa tomatoes thawed to go on the stove today. I also need to run over to the other house and water the plants. Need to hook up the gas to the house too before it gets really cold. I'd so hoped we'd be in there this year but that doens't appear to be happening. There's a beam in the floor that needs jacking up because it's settled and I've been trying to get in touch with one of the fellows that worked on it before but apparently he has plenty of work now and doesn't need little jobs because it's been a month and two phone calls and no show. I tried to call yesterday and got his answering machine so I imagine he's dodging my phone calls now. Don't know why they just don't have enough backbone to say, "can't do it" instead of dragging it on. Leaves a much better taste in my mouth.

Made some apple ginger jam last night. I've still got some apples in the fridge to do something with. They're the bruised apples or apples that had spots on them that no one wanted to buy. They'll just go back to the table in a different form.

Has anyone ever substituted powdered fruit pectin for liquid? The powder is much cheaper and I have plenty of that. I have an apple jalapeno jam that I want to try that calls for liquid.

Better get moving.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

December 5, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9350292

Bonnie, also, good news on the good news. That surely should be one less thing going through your mind as you fall asleep at night. I know it would be for me.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9350530

Janet since you have a DH like mine, (mindset) it will be his decision about what gets planted. I have been waiting for him to prepare some ground for my daylilies that need dividing, so judging how long it has taken for that, maybe the farmers market crops will get attention a couple of years from now.

I need to go to votech school and get a refresher course on using farm equipment. I did it all years ago, but probably couldn't start a tractor now. Catch his back turned, and I will have the whole 40 acres plowed and planted!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

December 5, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9350675

I've tried very hard to not learn how to operate some of the stuff. Don't want to drive the semi or the bulldozer but I'm waiting for ground to be plowed and a septic pit to be dug and the list goes on. Just flat out frustrating. I thought I'd have a high tunnel up by now and I'm still waiting on that too.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9350872

Well, there is merit to knowing how to use the machinery. Maybe I will just take over all the farm equipment, and he will have to ask me for permission to use any of it! Hehe. That will be the day.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

December 7, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9352015

Going to UK today to let Kate look at their AG program. She wasn't really impressed with the general campus tour so I thought I'd let her see part of what she's interested in before she makes up her mind. I picked market veggies yesterday so I wouldn't be so rushed today. This past week has made my broccoli finally head up. There are some heads about the size of a tennis ball forming. I don't know if they'll have a chance to get any bigger or not. The cauliflower is trying but there's a blue zillion aphids in it so I'm not looking for too much. The tiny heads of cabbage are trying to rot down near the bottom. It's safe to say I won't make back the price of the plants on this venture this year. They just got set out way too late and it was way too dry.

Got a double batch of salsa made yesterday. I'm making a little head way on cleaning out the freezers. I want to make some blackberry jam but I can't find which freezer I put them in. Guess I'll just have to make salsa until I find them.

Better get moving. Not making progress sitting here. y'all have a good day.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9352720

Congratulations, Bonnie! And I'm glad you had enough loaves and fishes to go around for Christmas dinner, LOL.
Today is the first day I haven't had a fever. I have just been pretty laid out with whatever this is. My house looks like a warehouse for the Salvation Army that exploded. The friend who lived here for a couple months when she was leaving her husband came over and cleaned the kitchen for me, and she's coming back Monday to help some more. With the infected hand and the feverish flu, it's been tough to get anything done. Then this morning I stubbed my little toe on a 30 lb. bag of cat food. I looked down and it was facing a different direction than usual. I felt it & realized I had dislocated my little toe! Good Lord! I popped it back in place, which didn't hurt at all, but now it's all swollen and complaining (just like me!). Apparently I am unable to get through a week without some new injury. This should make tree decorating and cleaning even more fun.

I'm trying to sort out what presents I got people at the craft fair after Thanksgiving. There was a new booth this year called The Celtic Cross. The couple that run it love to haunt cemeteries in the UK and Ireland. They do rubbings of the different styles of Celtic crosses. She then transfers the patterns to cloth and machine embroiders them. They are just gorgeous! I got two framed ones for myself, and some matted prints for others. I'll try & remember to take a picture of a couple of them before I wrap them up. I'm really delighted to have found them.

Well, the UC coach finally found the job that suited him. I feel bad for the players. This makes 3 coaches who have stayed for only 3 years each, all in a row.

EVerybody take care,
Pat
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9353908

Hi Everyone!

After a long break I'm just starting to get caught up on DG again. I'm so sorry to read that all hasn't been good for some, and happy for those who are doing well. Life, there's no explaining it sometimes.

My niece went back to live with her Mother. So once again my husband and I are free to come and go as we please. We got an RV and have done quite a bit of traveling this year. We're going to FL in January and will try to stay for a month. I get home sick easy, and it's hard for him to stay away from his business, but we're going to try. Our animals travel with us and we have a guy that takes care of the chickens while we're away.

It's so nice to see you all again!

Annie

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9354014

Hi Annie welcome back.
we are training Lucy our dog to respect 'personal space boundries " ...
it could happen !! ... really ?

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors         

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9354150

Sue, I can see that Lucy is "getting it". Hehe.

Good to see you Annie. Well, don't know if you are at loose ends without the DN, but the trip sounds good. What part of Florida are you visiting? Or will you be moving around?

Nothing going on here, except DH finished his DB's tobacco and will be taking it to market tomorrow. Hoorah for that. It has been a long year for him with all that extra work.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9354854

Got back from Texas on 12/2 and was busy last week. I'm having inpatient surgery tomorrow at 10am, just over at our local hospital, Licking Memorial. It's a total abdominal hysterectomy, along with my remaining ovary. Everything's likely benign - cyst, polyp and fibroid - just enough to make me miserable two weeks out of each month. Not looking forward to the recovery or the sudden onslaught of menopause, though. Hopefully they'll be able to get me on a good dose of hormones ASAP. This is my fourth surgery in as many years, but the most complicated. I'm really not wanting to do it, but the alternative is more years of the same pain and I don't want that every month, either. :P Not feeling very upbeat, just wish I could go to be and sleep it away.
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9355174

Hi Kim, I hope and pray everything goes smoothly for you. Menopause is not bad at all, not everyone gets the problems commonly associated with it. Personally. I think there is much to recommend it, and I am sure you will think the same shortly. You sound like you just had a wonderful trip.

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9355611

Good afternoon everyone!!! Big smiles here!!
Did anyone miss me besides Bonnie????? Thank you for the card Bonnie!
I had let my DG subscription lapse...don't ask me why...just got lazy I guess.? But my best and dearest internet friend just renewed it for me! He said he owed me cause I sent him plants for his new home..ha!
I am glad to be back...and will try to stay up with you all here.
I've been really busy going to Christmas programs and basketball games. My two grandkids that live close by seem to be into everything and more!! Yes...I'm glad they are...keeps them out of trouble and helps them develop into responsible adults.
Dawson played peewee football this fall, and Ashley was on the volleyball team. Now she is playing basketball for the 7th grade team. They are 4-0, with another game tonight! Fun to watch!
She is also in the band and the chorus...so very busy!
I am already waiting..impatiently, for Spring!!
I soo don't like winter!
Janet...I know I didnt get your hydrangea cuttings to you...and I apologize for that. I will try again this year, ok? I don't even have a good excuse...just didn't get to it. Seems I get slower all the time!!! And I dislike that even more than winter...LOL!!!
Ok...need to get busy here. Making vegetable soup for supper, to eat after the ball game at 5. It's a home game..so that's good!
Thanks again Don (Tropicman) for my renewal...I really do appreciate it!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9355729

Kim, I too am hoping that the surgery goes well and the recovery is without any problems. You will feel much better and if there are problems, just get the Dr to put you on some hormones for a bit. Mine wouldn't do it, as she is ultra conservative, but maybe you will get luckier than me!

Marcy, so glad to see you back. I thought the problem was your computer, and was getting ready to start a fund to buy you one! I know what you are saying about winter. Don't like it and we haven't even had any really bad weather yet. I guess that comes in Jan and Feb, just making us wish for spring all that much harder.

I have been through a very tough year, not able to garden much at all, but I am recovered and well, and looking forward to being able to get out and do lots come spring.

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9355864

Thanks Bonnie.
And I had some sad news from Tropicman right after I posted. He had a fire in his greenhouse last night. He and his wife are safe, but he lost one of his parrots to smoke...and some of his plants also. Not sure about his other birds yet. They lived in the greenhouse. It seems his woodrack was too close to his barrel stove. He had put logs in about 1 am or so...and at 3 am he woke to smell smoke. Thankfully, his son lives in front of him...and he called him to help.
This was a new greenhouse he had built onto his new house in Texas...don't know all the details yet, but he said he and Patti were ok...thank God!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9355951

Oh, Marcy, so sorry to hear that news about Tropicman. I know that it was enough of a loss if just what you reported is all. Hope that there was not damage to the house. Great that the DS lived so close. Fires are devastating. I am so afraid of them, as our first house burned and it happened so quickly.

Janet, are you all caught up on your canning and baking and everything else? Quite a bit of rain we had the last week wasn't it? It put the levels of the ponds and lakes over here up to about where they should be. Sounds like we are going to get a rerun of it this coming week.

DH has only about 11 tiers of tobacco left hanging. I can't imagine why it wasn't put down the last time that it was in case. Of course with all the rain, it was like a wet rag, so had to let it go out and then hope that it comes in so that he can get it down, stripped and sold. This will free lots of his time that he has devoted to his DB's crops. He has been going rabbit hunting, and has been bringing in at least a couple every time he goes. He has good dogs, and brags on them all the time.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9356103

Hi, Annie and welcome back. You, too, Marcy! Kim, I'm sending you a d-mail. I don't want to go into detailed medical stuff here, but I think you'll feel lots better in a short period of time.
I'm finally getting over the whatever I had. So now I'm rushing to try and get things ready for Christmas. We have the tree up in the living room, but only abt 75% of the ornaments are on it. The kitchen is finally cleared enough for baking and candy making. My first batch of carmels were icky: it was really too humid to be trying to make them, so "tomorrow is another day" applies to caramels as well as Rhett Butler. I'll have to make 2 double batches to get enough for everyone. I'll try and pay attention to how many the recipe makes. I'll probably have to run to the cake and candy store at some point to get some more boxes and petit four cups. I got some boxes at Bed Bath & Beyond, but it's beyond me (heh heh) how they lock together. They just fall apart on me. I did make a batch of butter cookie dough which is resting in the fridge at the moment. I also found a recipe for Mouse Cookies. These are a pecan cookie shaped like an oval. You put 2 slivered almonds on as ears and mini chocolate chips for eyes, and finally, a chow mein noodle for a tail. They're the only kind of mouse I like to eat! Fortunately, the cats don't try and catch the pecan mice. My DS is in charge of the chocolate chip and chocolate cookies, and we fight over who ends up making the peanut butter cookies or snickerdoodles. It's a good thing I was too sick to eat last week, because I know I'm going to put some Xmas pounds on.
Pat
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9356244

Hiiii Pat!
I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. I had heard there was a lot of that stuff going around!
I haven't done any baking yet...and not sure I'm going to do very much this year. No one around here needs it!!! Oh...I'll do a few things..but not like I used to do.
Wow it was COLD here this morning...20 degrees...brrrrrrrr!!
Well I best get busy and get something done.
Ohhh and Kimberley...hope you feel better real soon...hugggs!!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9356599

Hi to all!~

It's the lurker here again. I hope all of you with Medical issues are feeling better soon. Kimberly, I know you will be very glad in the future that you got the surgery over with and won't have to worry about it anymore.

Marcy, I missed you. I'm glad you are back. Don't do that again. LOL

Bonnie, I'm glad your DH is wrapping up the work at his brothers farm. It has been a bad year for you two and I'm praying that 2013 will be much better for us all.

My leg finally got better and I can now walk without pain, if I don't overdo it. I went to Ferninand Indiana's Kriskringle craft festival with my daughter and the whole town is full of craft booths. They supply buses to take people from one venue to another. Each venue has about 100 booths and they had 7 different venues and after 5 of them, I told her I was over it. I couldn't walk anymore and ,boy, was my leg hurting. The booths are great and different from a lot of our local craft fairs. 5 wineries had wine tasting( thank goodness), several men had very nice handmade furniture , and the handmade art and jewerly were fantastic. I really did enjoy it, but I paid for that enjoyment.LOL

My youngest DD can drive me nuts sometimes all the way from Texas. Her husband brought the kids up in June, but she didn't have vacation days, so she didn't come with them. She is very busy with work and the kids, and I understand that. However, I don't think she is so busy that she doesn't have time to call me or answer my e-mails. When we call, they don't often answer the phone . This alone drives me crazy! Her hubby is very good about sending pictures of the kids , and for this I am grateful. There is never any text with them, but I love the pictures anyway. In late Oct., we got a picture of their oldest, Ike ( age 8) and he was wearing a t-shirt with a circle on the front with "number 1 Thing" written on it. I didn't understand , but said nothing. The first week in November, we got a picture of Aggie,(age 6) with same type t-shirt and it said "Thing # 2 "on it. Not wanting to seem too dumb and out of touch, I said nothing. On Thanksgiving Morning, we got anE-mail with a picture attached ,and the heading on the e-mail said" One more thing for you to be thankful for!" Attached, was a picture of a onesie with "thing # 3" on it. We started calling them and tried all day to talk to them and in the evening Ike called us . We asked him about the picture and found out they had been keeping a big secret. They are expecting another baby boy any time now. Her due date is Sunday, but she thinks it might come earlier. I could wring her neck! Anticipation is one of the best parts of being a Grandparent, and we were deprived of 8 months worth!!!

We are going down to see them after Christmas and I can't wait to walller the baby.So, I will have a great Christmas ! I'm so excited, but I don't understand why they wouldn't tell us about the baby.

May you all have a good Christmas season and a better 2013. Lou

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9356824

Oh, Lou, that is strange to say the least. I agree anticipation is just so much a part of a pregnancy. Well at least you will get to see the new one before he is too old. Glad you are feeling better, but that craft affair sounded good, but too much.

Marcy, I am not making near the amount of candy or cookies this year that I normally do. I give peanut brittle to 2 neighbors, so I can't cut that out. I will ask the DH and DS to name their favorite cookie and candy, and that will be all I make. They eat enthusiastically while it is fresh, but then get tired of it and it is very tempting if it is sitting around.

Have a virus thing myself. Feel better than I did last night and early this morning, but have been drinking fluids and not eating much at all.

Pat glad that you are feeling better and you got that over with before Christmas. I am hoping that we both stay free of any serious colds, flu or viruses, until after the holidays. We may go to Florida after Christmas for a week or two. No date set, but DTS and her DH are leaving Friday to stay till the end of March.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9357324

Thanks, guys. I've spent two nights at the hospital, but should get to go home tonight. I've finally made the appropriate rude noises.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9357460

LOL Kimberley...I won't say what visual I got when I read that about the appropriate rude noises...LOL..still laffin..to myself of course!!!! And I AM glad you get to come home so soon!!!

Bonnie, my dear lil grandaughter...not so little anymore..almost 14 now...she used to help me with the baking n decorating. This year she is too busy. I understand..they grow up..but I really did miss her help. She is just too busy though. She plays basketball..is in band...is in chorus..church things..has lots of friends and they do overnights almost every weekend at someone's house!
Lou...big smiless @you!!!
Our kids can be something else sometimes...can't they?????? I know how you feel! But I'm glad you are going to go see the new little one after Christmas.
Well I did get a few things done today...but still have some to do..so best get at it!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9357683

Well, I thing that I may live afterall. This virus must have been the short variety, but this morning, my stomach was still iffy, and so I went light on the food all day. Did eat a bit for supper and it is sitting okay, so I am thinking that it is over.

Kimberly, I am so glad that the surgery is over and that you expect to get to go home. Take it easy and let Howie wait on you. Hehe, we have to give them something to do right?

Marcy, can you believe my DGD is 16 and has her driving permit? We are giving her our old car this next weekend when she comes down. She is looking for a job and hopes that she will be able to find something before summer. She will need a pretty good one to pay the insurance and gas!! She is about to enter (partially) the adult world and I am sure she is in for some pretty big shocks. Can't believe your "little girl" is 14 already. Yes they do get quite involved in activities and tend to start drawing away from their family and grandparents. It is natural, but I think my DH is still in shock about that part of it.

Well, it looks like we are going to Louisville tomorrow to finish Christmas shopping. DH wanted to go about 3:00 this afternoon, and I just don't like to start out that late to go to Louisville, besides I didn't feel the best.

Janet, what all has been happening at your house? Have the workers come and got the floor all fixed? Do the markets keep going all winter long? Take a break for Christmas? I have no experience except our little market in the county which is outside and goes from May- October.

Pat. are you making any new goodies this year? I have one new recipe (cookie) that I am going to try. Looks good and sounds fairly easy.

I am having my immediate family get together on Friday the 21st. Then on Saturday the 22nd, DH's immediate family is getting together. DH and I are standing in the living nativity in Bethlehem on Christmas night, so we try to clear our calendars for that. It is one of my favorite things to do at Christmas. We will be having dinner with his cousin at noon. So looks like that is all taken care of.

My Christmas we have just finger foods. Country ham & biscuit, sausage balls, bbq weiners, stuffed mushrooms, plenty of cookies, candy and cakes and pies. So can make a little of that in advance.

Well, off to read a few other threads, and then heading to bed shortly.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 14, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9357890

We need your Christmas Trees, go here;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1290910/
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9357904

I am not putting up a tree this year, too much trouble and no help doing it!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

December 14, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9358044

No tree here either. Will put it up at the MIL's since that seems to be where most of us are all the time anyway.

Some days it just seem like you'd be better off just sitting on the couch reading a book. I can't get motivated to begin with and after I finally got the baking done I realized I have no milk to make the icing and I have just enough margarine to make two batches of icing. No more. Well, opened a can of evaporated milk and got started. Thought I'd clean off the mixer and cabinets while it boiled and don't you know it, it scorched. Went ahead and made it to put on something here at home and put it in one of those plastic bowls. Do you think I could find the lid that matched it? Of course not! What's next?

Markets have been slow. Unfortunately the last two weeks and this weekend too, there's been UK home games and since we're just across from Rupp Arena none of our regulars come to shop because of the parking and the horrible traffic. Last weekend it rained in Louisville and people stayed home and of course it's supposed to rain again Saturday. Hope it waits until after 3 o'clock.

Kim, hope your surgery went well. Have heard lots of folks feel lots better after it.

Marcy, kids just seem to have too much to do. Mine is working on college scholarships in her free time, which is darned little. I would like to do just a few cookies before Christmas. One DD is trying to loose the weight she gained back during her back problems and she hates for me to bake because it's too much temptation. I don't want to make it any harder on her than it already is cause like me, she likes to eat.

DH was watching rodeo on TV last night and was laughing that the thought popped in his mind that he needs a horse. Actually, it came to him also while he was chasing cows up and down the hills the other day by himself and they wouldn't go in the barn. I've wanted one for years and will probably stay wanting one cause I'm sure he'll talk himself out of it.

Better get hopping. Got to pick greens and turnips for tomorrow and get stuff for more icing!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9358224

Well, my gosh, I think I have a tree of some sort in every room of the house except the bathroom--- and I may have one in there, too, by next week. I love the smell, the lights, the ornaments. Don't like putting the lights on, or taking the tree down, but I love just about everything else Christmasy. And it's SO much easier now that I don't have to worry about a sermon and a bulletin in addition to everything else. And then when I was assigned to church of the Nativity, that meant that I had the Bishop coming on Xmas Eve, including confirmation when there were people so inclined.
As far as cookies, we make chocolate chip, chocolate walnut, and either pecan or almond cookies dusted with powdered sugar. When I do make carmels, I make them for others as gifts. I'm kinda over it for eating them except to taste them to make sure I haven't screwed them up beyond salvaging. The little mouse cookies are something I make once every year or two.
I'm fretting for lots of folks on the list because it's a "first Christmas" for so many-- those who've lost a loved one in the past year, and it can be really hard to deal with. All I can say is, you're in my prayers, and I'm not just tossing that line out: I really pray, and I ask God to comfort all who mourn, and give them a glimpse of peace, too. (Amen.)

I went shopping for stocking gifts yesterday, since I was so fed up being at home waiting on someone. The plumber, a package, the guy that cuts our hair-- everybody is running late and then cancels. So I had my pre-Xmas mini temper tantrum and went to Kenwood. We now have a Microsoft store there in addition to the Apple store. I know this because I was scootering to a store in between Apple & Microsoft, and I saw a big bunch of guys wearing Microsoft shirts walking down the middle of the corridor, looking like some sort of Hell's Angels for nerds. They were probably just coming back from a dinner break, but they certainly took up a lot of room. I mentioned this to the clerk at the store I went to, and we had the same idea at the same moment: West Side Story at Kenwood Mall. We started snapping our fingers and humming the music, and then we had to try and decide which "gang" would be the better dancers. Sharks or Jets? Apple or Microsoft? It certainly helped my mood.

Lou: if you like the craft fairs, rent a scooter, or a wheelchair, or get one of those walkers that have a seat so you can sit down when you need to. Better than going and getting too tired. That's when you stiffen up to avoid hurting and end up falling. Of course, someone will say something stupid. WHen my mother had multiple myeloma, she shrunk about 3 inches, and had to walk with a cane. She took my friend Neil out for an ice cream at Elites, a now defunct Middletown store. My mother knew everyone im M'town, and they knew her. So she inches in to Elites and a another customer said, "Why, Lois! What happened to you? Why have you taken up a cane?" And my mother breezily replied, "I just thought I'd get cancer, that's all." Awkward silence. WHen they got back to the car, Neil said, "That lady was pretty weird-- I don't know if I would have said anyhting to her," to which Mom replied, "What else would you say to someone that stupid?"
So if you decide to do the scooter or wheelchair thing, just keep either a withering glance or snappy reply just in case someone is equally curious and inelegant about it!

Pat
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9358293

Thanks Pat, I'll remember that line. Your mother sounds like my kind of gal.

I heard about the tragedy in Conn. and I can't get it out of my mind. Let's pray for comfort and peace for all those poor families. I can't even imagine their grief. It will be such a horrible time for the whole community.
I pray for all of you and your's that the Lord will deliver us from evil in this world.

Lou
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9358480

Lou, Amen. Such a horrible thing. Sometimes I just can't fathom the hatred in this world, the kind that makes somebody do something like this. It is just as if the whole world has gone crazy, and there is no sanity anymore.

Pat, glad that you are getting out and about. DH and I drove to Louisville today, walked the mall, and bought a gift certificate for his DC, and came home. I just am not able to walk that far without it really bothering my hips. So guess there may be a few "$$, and an I'm sorry" in some cards!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9358907

oh man...my whole msg just disappeared...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. You know..that only happens here too..wonder why???????

Prayers for the survivors in Conn. Such a senseless tragedy. I can't even fathom what they are going through right now. The children are in God's hands...He will take care of them.

Ok...not going to retype everything..it was a long one..lol.
Have a good day everyone!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9358911

Ran some errands this morning, and back home trying to decide what to cook to take to a pot luck lunch tomorrow.

It is raining here, and DH is waiting to see if the tobacco is going to come in case so that he can get the rest of it down.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

December 15, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9359329

Other than the markets not much was done here today other than getting the stock fed.

Nothing good on TV and I'm not in the mood to address Christmas cards. These hands have been giving me fits at night for the last three months so I haven't been sleeping very good. I have a MD appt for the 9th to see about bilateral hand surgery. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Lou, the kids not tell me they had a baby coming? I suspect I'd be pretty ticked off but I'm sure I'd get over it fast enough.

Guess tomorrow after I get back from church I'll try addressing those cards and who knows, maybe make some cookies. I have to take youngest DD shopping but I think I'll wait until they're out of school and go later this week on a day when hopefully everyone else is at work. I don't need to fight mall crowds on the weekend.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9359482

Janet, hate to burst your bubble, but we were at the mall on Thursday, and the crowds looked like a weekend. Just horrible. I guess it will be that way till after Christmas, then everybody will be out trying to catch some after christmas sales. I always buy my Christmas cards on sale after Christmas, plus plates, napkins, etc. tissue paper, gift bags, boxes, ribbon name tags, etc.

I will be making some candy on Monday, as one of the neighbors is having a brunch on Tuesday, and I give her and another neighbor a big tin of peanut brittle. It will be a bit early, but just as well go ahead and get it done. I am making some other candies and cookies for my Christmas on Friday night. We are having finger foods. I get so sick and tired of turkey and the trimmings from Thanksgiving, and then early church meals, and my family Christmas. I am having country ham, on biscuits, sweedish meatballs, little smokies bbq, sausage balls, a cheese ball, veggie tray and a cake and pie. Don't think we will lack for anything to eat.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2012

Post #9359488

AnnieBBB!
Good to hear from you!

Marcy tell Don I hated to hear about his GH &Losses!
If he needs any tropicals...

We have a Tree in the Sewing Room... and about 7 outside!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9359747

Hey Rick!!
I'm sure he will see it here...but will tell him too.
I have trees everywhere this yr...lol.
Ok..big one in the living room...two small ones in the kitchen..one in bathroom...one in computer room..one in bedroom! and two live Alberta spruces outside!
All inside are small except for the living room one.
Also have a table decoration with a large snow globe made from a pickle jar...and have blue lights around it...battery kind. Its really pretty!!
Guess I kinda got carried away this year...lol!
Well guess we are going to try n finish up shopping today...not much to do.
Just mainly stocking stuffer stuff for kids..little ones that is.
I don't do malls ladies...just local stores...that's enough for me!
Huggs to all!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9359999

We went to church this morning, and then on to the other church for dinner. It was good, and we enjoyed it. DH went to the third church when we got home, so I am sure he is churched out.

Weather is warm and moist, no rain now, but had some earlier. DS got the rest of the tobacco down, and guess that will will be finished tomorrow.

Marcy, if I had local stores that really had anything to buy, I would shop there too!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

December 16, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9360233

Not much happening here today. They moved some cows home from the other farm. I went to church and put some clothes away. There always seems to be baskets to wash and baskets to put away. Unending hateful job. I did get my car vaccumed out. It surely needed it. Warm enough here to do it with just a sweatshirt on. Never got any cookies made. Maybe on Tuesday.

We're going tomorrow to Elizabethtown for a seminar on how to write grants. If we're going to fix up this building we'd better learn how to get some of that grant money that's floating around out there. That's about the only way I know to make the thing fly.

Bonnie, good to hear the tobacco came in case. I wish the BIL here would get his out of the barns so we can have them open for fresh cows in Feb. There's been a blow up here over the last year and I'm afraid that if the tobacco isn't out of the barns when the cows start freshening that they're going in the barns this year whether the tobacco is out or not and I know that'll raise a monumental stink...

Need to get my cards addressed and mailed. Just sit down and do it I guess...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9360254

Janet, what building project are you working on? I would love to know how to write grants, for what I don't know. You remember the job descriptions that we used to have to write at work? My boss always gave them to me to write and called me a fiction writer! I could make a silk purse out of a very few well placed words on that paper! Grant writing sounds much like that.

I am hoping that the tobacco is out of the barns there before February, or it may not get sold this year. Surely he will get it done.

Tomorrow, I am driving to Owenton, there is an Amish store that opened there, and I want to get some authentic food items to give as gifts. We stopped there about a month ago, and only had a short period of time to look, but I want to go back and look and actually buy some butter and some home made bread and some other things. Then on Tuesday, need to get some gifts in the mail, if they have any hope of getting to the recipents on time. Also have an invitation to brunch at a neighbor's house, which means that I need to make peanut brittle sometime on Monday, as I give that as a gift to that particular neighbor and another close neighbor.

All this week there is something penciled in on my calendar, so looks tobe a very busy week.

DH has a Dr appointment on Thursday about his shoulder. The Dr has asked him if he has considered shoulder replacement, so guess we will see where that is going.

Kimberly how are you feeling?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9361901

I haven't felt like being online very much. Can't concentrate and I'm restless. I'm doing okay, though. My staples come out tomorrow so I hope to feel better after that.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

December 20, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9362811

Internet at the farm has been out since last Thursday. So's the phone. The powers that are supposed to fix this sort of stuff came out on Thursday and declared it fixed. And it was for a short time and then went back to being broke. Good thing the cable isn't out because they'd have a little pint sized 91 years old lady on their case and she can'be formidable when she wants to be.

I've almost got the Christmas cards done. Good thing most of them are mailed locally. Seems like I am willing to do anything but that. Part of the problem is this carpal tunnel makes writing a real pain. Literally. Typing doesn't seem to significantly bother the ole hand but writing is another story.

Made some four pepper apple jam the other day. The stuff's pretty good. Hot but not too bad. DSIL took some and glazed pork chops and said it was good that way.

Kim, I think being cooped up and feeling restless probably means that you're getting better. And I'm sure when the staples come out it's bound to feel better. DH's surgeon laughed when we told him that the staples looked just like hog rings. Same type of applicator I bet.

Bonnie, the building that we're planning on renovating is at the intersection of US 60 and Hwy 151 on the Franklin/Shelby line. It's the old 2 story that used to be stucco and they put siding over it. It's a total mess inside and probably the only thing worth trying to save in the place is the wood floors in the living space upstairs. Otherwise it needs to be totally gutted. I'm not in the mood to get a huge loan for all the business plans and feasibility studies on making this thing a commercial kitchen and roadside market so I'm thinking DH had better be getting some grants for this stuff. About the only thing I learned from that grant writing session was that there's a better chance of getting a grant if a grant writer writes it and all DH learned is that "We" can write it. Most of the time I just flat out don't understand this man. They said it will usually take a grant writer 60-80 hours to write a grant and that people who are inexperienced will need double that amount of time. Now we never have any spare time anyway, or at least I don't and I'm not intending to write the darned thing. I don't know who he thinks he's going to con into writing the stupid things because I don't anticipate him doing it either. Oh well, I'm not making this my problem.

We did get the electrical inspector up to the house for a final inspection. That means that the electric is officially done and the temp pole can be taken down. That just took 12 years. DH told me I could move in tomorrow if I wanted to. Now the septic pit still isn't done and the wood furnace not hooked up but he said the gas heaters would keep it as warm as I wanted and we'd just pump the septic. I've got news for him. I'll hold off on this until the boy that's coming to jack up the house gets done, then I'm having him put a new roof on the house and if the back porch isn't on the house by then I'm going to have him build a wooden porch for that too. Then if he doesn't make movement towards a septic system by next summer I'm calling our friend that would have helped him anyway and telling him that the bulldozer is out behind the barn and he can pick up the backhoe on his way up there and come put the thing in.

Better get moving. I've got lunch in Shelbyville with some school friends and I need to get to the garden to pick veggies if it dries out. I'm hoping to not have to pick tomorrow in 30 degree weather. Of course the wind chill this afternoon will probably be just as bad...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9362862

Well, it is a soggy mess here today. Wind is whipping and blowing the rain sideways. Not a fit day for man or beast outside. Guess that is why I have 2 otherwise outside dogs still clinging to their rugs in the laundry room! Don't blame them.

Not sure what my day holds, maybe some cooking, finish bagging gifts, then ???
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9364852

Just stopped by to wish everyone MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9364991

Um, Sue, just forget it LOL, Lucy so pretty and looks like she would keep you warm!

I'm not ready for Christmas but if all goes well tomorrow I will be. Think the mall will be crowded?? The snow is beautiful, the wind not so much, but will take it! A very long year and much to be thankful for!

Merry Christmas to you all and a wonderful New Year!!!!!!!!

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9365103

Good evening. We went to DH's DS's house tonight for his family Christmas gathering. Instead of the traditional ham or turkey, she did beef vegetable soup, chili, pimento cheese, and chicken salad sandwiches, and 2 kinds of pie and a jam cake. it was good, and different. Getting tired of the turkey dinners.

We have nothing planned for Monday, but will go to DH's cousin's house on Tuesday Christmas Day. We had my immediate family Christmas last night. After saying we were not exchanging gifts, DH bought me a blouse, a linen/silk pair of pants, a pair of jeans, and a beautiful sweater, plus pink ice diamond earrings. I had gotten him some nice socks and several CD's of a singer that he enjoys. I told him I would never believe a word he said in the future, as the no gifts was his idea. DGD bought me a Kindle. I was surprised, and told her she shouldn't have spent her money on me like that. But she told me that it was something that she wanted to do for me.

DGD's gift from us was our old car (2005) with new tires, completely serviced, a full tank of gas and my TomTom GPS. She wanted a new car, but we finally bargained her down to this until she graduates.

If I don't get back here, wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

December 23, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9365290

Freshly made caramel corn. Breakfast of champions. I've been scarce, working and baking.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9365300

Hey everyone...hiiiiii!!!! and Hugssss!
I guess I am as ready as I'll ever be for Christmas...maybe just a little baking left to do...and wrapping too.
I can hardly wait to see grandkid's eyes when they see that basketball goal thingy!! Dawson told me yesterday at the game that was THE main thing he wanted for Christmas. Well...sorry but he is going to have to share it with his sissy too!! He doesn't even play basketball yet...and she does. But I'm sure he will too, in a couple of years.
I just hope it's warm enough for their dad n grampa to go outside and set it up for them...mmmm...maybe I better get Dave to move a few things first...lol!
Ok...got to get moving here...he wants to go to the hardware store today for something...and I have baking to do!
Merry Christmas to ALL..in case I dont happen to get back before!!!!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9365337

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I wish everyone a loving and peaceful Christmas week.

We got our new grandson on th 19th. 5 lbs 8oz and 20 inches long. He's named Zeke Elmore Konvicka and is healthy. That's our great Christmas present. We are heading to Texas on the 27th. I can't wait to see him and waller him. I'm anxious to see them all. Thinking of all my DG friends and sincerely hope for all of us that 2013 is a much better year. Lou
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9365341

I know some of you read a lot of forums , but I don't . Heres a post from Kathy you all may have missed.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289900/

This message was edited Dec 23, 2012 11:26 AM
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9365410

Thanks Lou for sharing that link. I didn't have any idea that Cathy was going through so much.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

December 23, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9365640

Good evening everyone. I have been lurking on the forum, but everything has been going smoothly and there isn't much to report. The garden has been put to bed. I picked the last chard and turnips last week and Thur we had about 3 inches of snow. Fri and Sat were fully cloudy, but this morning the sun shone brightly and I was able to get the car ready for the trip to #3DD and family tomorrow. I will be spending Christmas with them and returning on Thur. Most of the trip is on I-80, but the last few miles are up and down a steep mountain. I'm not sure what the weather will be there, but I've done it the past 2 years and I have new tires. At least the construction will be shut down in the interstates,
Have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Herman

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

December 24, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9366111

Happiest of holidays to everyone. I have one more batch of rugelach to turn out, and I am DONE baking. Finit. Even if someone decides at the last minute they simply MUST have another cookie or candy. Here's our Happy Christmas cookie menu: Macaroons, orange cardamom shortbreads, triple ginger cookies, spritz, banana pecan biscotti, anise almond biscotti, chocolate hazelnut biscotti, pumpkin biscotti, sugar cookies, berry shortbread dreams, almond burfi, dark chocolate brownies, cashew brittle, pistachio brittle, sea salt caramels, cappuccino crisps and rugelach with apricot, chocolate, or cinnamon sugar filling.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9366135

I just gained 5 pounds, Celene. Thanks a lot! LOL

I'm not as ambitious as you are. I've made spritz, benne wafers, Lemon cool whip cookies, p-nut butter/reece cups, cashew brittle, peanut brittle, toffee w/dark choc., toffee w/light choc. and caramels. Still have the no-bakes to do, and then I'm calling it quits, too. The brisket is in the oven and won't come out till 7:00 so no more baking for me!!!

If I don't make it on tomorrow, I wish you all joy and peace for Christmas and all through 2013!

Love you!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9366293

Sounds like between the three of us we have about bought up all the flour in Ohio! LOL!

Joyce we went by your place 4 times but were under the gun and couldn't stop..
Dru did bark out a greeting to Cayenne though!

I did AnnaZ's Knot Rolls...triple recipe so 9 dozen.
Robyn did 3 types of Sugar Cookies, 3 types of Cupcakes, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Oatmeal Raspberry Jam Cookies, Snicker Doodles, 2 types of Brownies, Cheese Cake Cake, Chocolate Chocolate Cookies, 6 Pumpkin Rolls and 6 Pumpkin Breads...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9366392

Oh, my goodness. I know that there are going to be many pleased people to have those goodies offered to them.

Since I had my Christmas last Friday night, all of my goodies are just about gone. DH is still working on some chocolate/peanut clusters and some peanut brittle. We have a dinner to attend tomorrow, and then it is back to normal every day living, and for sure a good strict DIET!

Merry Christmas, and a Happy Holiday season to all my DG friends.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 24, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9366438

Merry Christmas to all my Ohio area friends.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9366439

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9367013

MERRY Christmas!

And to those of you in the Blizzard Warning areas.
Good Luck!!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9367088

Ric, the WL's threatened us, but so far nothing. We are supposed to get the rain, turning to sleet. I would rather have the snow.

You all be careful if you have snow and have to go out. Old bones don't heal as fast.

We are just in from standing in the Living Nativity Scene. Wasn't too cold, so therefore not too bad this year. We stood one year that it was zero, and they cancelled the whole thing right after our shift. They have 3 shifts a night, for 4 nights. Each shift takes 12 people, so lots of people in the community are involved. it is a good time, with the quiet to just reflect on the year, my life, and to pray for those who are on my personal prayer list. Very peaceful. I got to sit tonight, as I played Mary. All the others stand for 45 minutes! Don't think my back would have taken that.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9367280

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Janet. Aww, you were one of those kids who got birthday and Christmas gifts all on Christmas Day, I bet. Anyway have a happy one.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9367310

Merry "day after" Christmas everyone!! Ho Ho Ho!!!
Well we are under a blizzard warning here...and it is snowing n blowing here a lot! Hoping power doesnt go out!!! But...if it does...I think we are prepared.
Got plenty of water...lanterns,flashlights...weather radio...wood for stove...food...snow blower...and a neighbor with a backhoe...LOL. Actually thats not so funny. Our driveway runs parallel between the house and garage..and its like a big wind tunnel...and when it snows...it dumps...right there! One year we had a five ft. drift there...and our neighbor came in with his backhoe to dig us out! Dave's big 8 hp snowblower wouldnt go thru it!! So thank God for good neighbors!
Hope you all had a wonderful time yesterday...we did.
Grandkids were sooo happy with their new basketball goal and also the volleyball set! I'm glad we were able to do it for them!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9367313

I am inside, as we are getting sleet and freezing rain. Not gonna catch me outside at all today. I survived Christmas, the living Nativity scene, but came home to Montazuma's revenge. Was up a couple of times during the night, and still running to the bathroom this morning. Sure hope this doesn't last long. Stomach is a bit queasy, but other than that and the runs, feel pretty good.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9367346

Ooooo feel better Bonnie..thats no fun!
And forgot to say Happy Birthday Janet!!! And many more!!!!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

December 26, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9367431

Well, I just lost my entire post. I have no idea how that happens but it's sure aggrevating.

Thanks for the birthday wishes folks. And yes, it always was Merry Christmas/Happy Birthday. I think I got one birthday party and two cakes seperate from Christmas when I was little.

Right now it appears we're just getting rain. I prefer that over snow but it's slicker than you know what out in the fields and I pray each time they feed that they don't loose a tractor or truck over the hillside. Or fall and break something. I hate cold but if it were below freezing the fields would firm up. Of course all this rain would be snow so you can't have everything.

Didn't do anything yesterday but cut wood. The family celebration was called off because everyone at my parent's house is sick and they didn't want to spread it around. Therefore, we cut wood yesterday. Just thrilled me to death but the porch did need it and there's enough there now for probably a month if it doesn't get bitterly cold.

Bonnie, hope you get to feeling better. Those stomach bugs are the pits.

Marcy, I hope you all don't get all the bad weather that they think may come your way. But it does sound like you're prepared. It never ceases to amaze me how people are told over and over that bad weather is coming and they make no plans in case it's really bad. Then they're the first ones to whine when things get uncomfortable because they did no prep.

Better get to doing something productive. I think I have to run some orange juice down to the sickies. I have two brothers and a sister than are within a mile of them but here I am driving 22 to get them stuff. Go figure.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9367517

Always the way Janet.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9367535

Happy Birthday, Janet!

Ric, :o( pouty face here...you could have at least dropped some of those goodies off!!!
^_^

Marcy, I can't believe how big your grandkids have gotten! Oh my they do have a way of doing that, don't they?

I survived. Now, I'm in looking out, and that's just where I plan to stay!!!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

December 26, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9367541

Good afternoon everyone. Saying Hello from Eastern PA. I plan on leaving tomorrow . I don't know what the weather will be. but most of the ride is on the interstate, so it shouldn't be too bad. It is just starting to snow here, but not much is forecast to stick.
Hope everyone is recovering from Christmas in time for the celebrating next week.

Herman
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9367670

Herman, our NYE celebration is about as exciting as watching paint dry... Now a few years ago, well, it was a a lot differrent!!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9367807

over 6 " here today
lucy and savannah as the silly girls they are
austin has a 2 lbs candy cane
and jessica's garden

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors      

salix_man
Barberton, OH

December 26, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9367929

Bonnie, Those were the days. Only memories left
Herman
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9368465

Cute pics Sue!! Now will Austin eat all that candy stick???? Dawson would I know...lol!
Joyce...haven;t they grown though?? Ash is almost as tall as me...shhh I know...lol. She will be 14 in March. Dawson just turned 9...can't even believe it myself!
Bonnie..hope you are feeling better too? Think I have a touch of that stomach thing too..hope it doesnt get any worse! I made veggie soup for Christmas eve supper...and put some in the freezer. Even though we still have leftovers...think I will thaw that out for our supper tonight..it's the only thing that really sounds good right now!
Well..my jeep is in the barn...but the snow drift is still there! Hubby was lazy yesterday...and didnt bother to keep up with the snow that was coming down! Instead he took a nap! LOL...I didn't blame him..it was that kind of day. And this morning he had to blow snow away from his truck so he could go to work! Guess he will finish tonight after supper. I hear more is coming in Saturday...grrrrrr.!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9369887

We got about 3 inches of new on top of what was left of the old! I've had enough to last me all winter now.

I got a new camera for Christmas and I've been snapping lots of pix, but I haven't figured out how to get them on the computer yet!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9370469

got my credit card number stolen. what an awful feeling that is. you have no control .
we got another inch last night maybe . ?
Marcy yes he is still working on that candy cane LOL
we are going to try and attempt the mall today. need to get and walk around . being inside for the last few days .. getting sluggish

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9370505

Cabin fever, anyone?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9370728

YES !!!!!! Cymbalta can help :)
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9370814

Ho, ho, ho to all! Happy belated birthday to Janet, Merry Xmas and Happy New year, etc. I got so caught up in the festivities that I didn't get on my puter! Horrors! I'm sure that will change with the coming of January and February malaise.
I'm going out for a drive tonight with DS so we can check out the holiday lights covered in snow...the ideal viewing condition, IMHO. We've also seen a couple of movies, Lincoln and Les Miserables. Both very long. Lincoln was excellent, and Les Mis was really disappointing, on the whole. The filming was done in such extreme close ups that you could check out people's tonsils and dental work while they sang. Now I want to see Life of Pi and maybe Skyfall before they're gone.
Got lots of fun little toys for Xmas, like wooden tops, and a tiny Lego-like Taj Mahal, plus a calendar of sea otters that is so cute it's ridiculous.
Supposed to get quite cold tonight. Wish I had more wood on the porch. Puppy doing well with her first snows, tho it's quite hard to spot her out in the snow! We should have called her Snowball.
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9370897

Hello all. I have claimed 2013 as illness free year for me, but first, I just finished a stomach virus, and now working on the honest to goodness flu! Miserable, guess I have a couple of days to go before I can actually claim the wellness.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9371142

Bonnie sure hope you get some relief soon from the flu .
Pat sounds good on the movies. I want to see Les Mis but was also reluctant due to some of the reviews from people. Life of PI sounds like a good movie.
not much here but weight gain LOL not doing much the last 10 days is the pits.
lumbers are still working on our woods.
cold cold out too
feeding the goats is the pits LOL what was i thinking ?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9371332

Cabin Fever... well OK!

Shot yesterday at the Cincinnati Nature Center.

Thumbnail by henryr10

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9371350

Looks like lots of fun!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9371430

let me out !! let me out !!!!
got emergency essentials today before snow started
wine
Baileys
bread
whip cream
going to watch Madagascar 2 and then Ice Age ...
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9371561

Sue, LOL: When I was in seminary, a professor told me, in all seriousness, that every good parish priest had a bottle of HArvey's Bristol Cream in a desk drawer. I had one for several years, but I think I was the only one who ever took a nip! Good to know that you have your priorities straight.

Ric, nice pictures. Our snow is looking a little pitiful right now. Maybe the dusting we're supposed to get will spruce it up.
Bonnie, hope you feel better soon. I think some new bugs have migrated to the midwest this year, and we are all going to have to spend some time building resistance to them.

Happy New Year!
Pat

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9371596

LOL Pat.
my grandfather was a Presbyterian minister and boy when he came to visit , mom would hide the vodka in a coffee mug . He would not alloy drinking of any kind. As i grew up and became of age. When he would visit and we both had our mug of wine LOL
not much snow here ? just a light dusting again buy boy its COLD brrrrrr
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9371862

It has started sleeting here, so looks like those who are out celebrating, may want to have two designated drivers to get them home. Sure am glad that I am not out there. I think the younger set calls that being old!

Our snow is looking sort of ragged too. However, I could have done without any new.

DH and two neighbors killed hogs today. DH called me about 3:00 to come help him cure the hams. So went and worked a couple of hours. Sugar cured 4 hams and 3 shoulders. One neighbor is going to slice a shoulder and use it like ham steak. Sugar cured the jowls and 4 bacons. We will see how that goes. Tomorrow we will take the sausage to be ground, and the men will work up the other meat, and start to render the lard. I guess my job is to go out in the garage and reorganize two freezers so that we can get the meat put in there.

Pat, the stomach ickies are gone, and now I have lost my voice, and have the sniffles. Nothing else, but I sound like a bullfrog that has a human foot right behind his head! I go to talk and may have 2 out of 5 words that actually have sound to them, everybody says what, well I know what I said, not my fault that the sound didn't get to some of the words.

Hope if you all are celebrating that it is at home, or that you have a designated driver to get you safely home. It is really hairy in the best of weather, and not even thinking about sleet, freezing rain and snow to drive in.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9372088

Bonnie so lucky on your ham . great deal. Hope you get some relief and are back to normal healthy self soon.
yep i m old too i guess. i stay home. safe .
i watch some of the rockin count down and the tribute to dick clark great old footage of yesteryear.
then i watch kathy griffin and anderson cooper count down on cnn.
Happy New Year everyone
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 1, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9372091

Bonnie, sorry to hear that you're under the weather. I think my cold has finally taken a hike. Sinuses are still giving me fits but that's no different than usual.

Christmas and New Years this year as far as celebrations were pretty much the pits. Christmas Eve my brother called to say Mom was cancelling because they were all sick so DH decided that we should cut wood all day for the nasty weather that was coming in. I know we needed wood so there wasn't much I could say. Oldest DD was coming in from OK so I had thought we'd open our own presents as soon as I could get her home and then DS up and decided he was going out of town until I guess tonight since he has to be back to work tomorrow. Just don't understand the boy. Since he's gotten his job he makes no movement to help do anything on the farm, including cut wood that keeps his butt warm. I think he's going to get a major surprise when we start to settle up his back farm wages and he finds that we're going to be charging him room and board for his stay with us. Anyway, no celebration today at my parents house either so youngest DD is a little down in the mouth about that too. Don't know why as she was going to have to spend the day reading a book that's due at school tomorrow.

Guess I'd better start washing a few dishes around here and straightening up.

Happy New Year everyone.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9372140

Happy New Year Dear Friends!

My wish is for health, happiness and safety for all of us this 2013!

Love you all!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9372223

Well my morning has consisted of going back to the venue where the hogs were butchered, and helping to cut up the meat. Took Mr. B with me, and now I will need to spend the afternoon giving him a bath. He is filthy, but he had fun.

We are not much into any kinds of celebrations, so it wasn't unusual for me to be in bed way before midnight last night. Wished DH a Happy New Year and a good night all in the same breath.

Need to go straighten a freezer so that we can get the meat in there.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9372291

kids are out in the the snow.
looks like fun i may be joining them
got hot soup and water ready for hot coco as soon as they come in
looking at the new plants for 2013 and found a pretty blue clematis. can't wait !

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9372316

Funny, Sue...I was looking at plants this morning, too. I'm putting off taking the tree down. Sigh...just not a fun job.

I got two ham bones gifted to me over the holiday. I made split pea soup with one and I'm simmering the other one right now. I will freeze it. I'll make split pea soup again in a month or so. I just LOVE it!!!

Bonnie, that pork will taste yummy all year!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9372723

It is so funny, we cut up all the meat, packaged it, had the fat to be rendered, and the lean parts to grind into sausage. The neighbor woman asked me how much I thought it would weigh as her recipe to season the sausage was for 18 pounds of meat. I looked at it and said maybe 28 pounds, so that is what we seasoned it for. DH weighed it after we had done that (why he didn't do it sooner is beyond me) anyway we had over 70 pounds of meat. Had to go back and season it again!

Yes, Joyce it will be good. There are chops, ribs, roasts plus the sausage. Probably couldn't buy it in the store for $300., and we paid $100. for the hog. The hams were about 40 pounds each, with the shoulders about 25.

Sue, we don't have that much snow for kids to play in. It started melting today, and it is just brown and nasty now.

I did get Mr. B in the shower and he is a very nice white clean dog again. I put him in the shower enclosure, close the doors, and use a bucket instead of the shower head, wet him down, shampoo, rinse and then use a pet chamois to partially dry him, and a towel to finish the job. Spritz on some Adams flea spray and then open the doors so he can get out and run. He did go under the bed, which is his usual pouting place, but he came out in about 5 minutes, and has been on the couch since then. The first time he has even remotely acted like a bath made him feel better.

Well in addition to losing my voice, I have started coughing, and wouldn't you know, not a drop of cough syrup in the house. I am taking teaspoons of honey, and will make it through the night, with a trip to the drugstore first thing in the morning. I am supposed to preach Sunday, and judging by the cough ratio today, don't think that is going to happen!

Joyce the hambones sounds like a good gift to me. I love to use them to make bean soup. I don't think I have ever had split pea soup. You need to send me some!

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 9:30 PM
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 2, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9372975

Our family hasn't killed hogs in forever. We still have all the stuff to do it including the lard kettle and lard and sausage presses but my three siblings are too lazy to do that without either me or my parents to spearhead the deal and I'm not getting it together and then doing 90% of the work. I do miss my sausage and lard though. I got Granny's recipe for sausage off the pole in the basement where it was taped for the last 40 plus years though. I guess if I wanted to make sausage I could always buy a bunch of pork butts and go from there. They still have the big Hobart grinder that I plan to make sure stays close to home even if I won't use it much.

DD and her husband left early from my SIL's this morning for OK. Those visits never last long enough. It was nice to have her feet under the table the last couple of nights even if my DS had left for parts unknown. I'm a little ticked with him right now. He never showed up last night and I'm assuming he's alright somewhere since he posted to Facebook a few hours ago. I thought he had to go to work this morning but maybe I misunderstood.

Split pea soup is good stuff. I don't make it nearly enough. I made some broccoli/ham/cheese braids yesterday afternoon and must have done something wrong because the dough was hard as a rock after baking. I guess we'll have to dig the filling out when we eat it and throw the rest away. I'd hate to break a tooth on something like that!

Better get moving. Y'all have a good day!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9373029

Happy New Year to everyone!!!
We always stay home on New Year's Eve too. I don't like to be on the roads with all the drunks!!
Yesterday..on New Year's Day...Dave had to work...as Tuesday is his normal work day..and the grocery was open...so I just sat around here. Made a blackberry pie...a big one...had two quarts of blackberries that needed to be used out of the freezer.
Fixed a pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, saurkraut, and blackeyed peas for supper..so we are in good shape for the good luck this year...LOL!!!!!
Bonnie..hope you are feeling much better, and anyone else that has the "sickies" too.
I woke up at 6 am with a terrible "charlie horse" in my leg. It ran all the way up into my hip...wow...I don't get those often...but sure wish I didn't get them at all!!!
Well...I read what you all been doing...sounds like you are keeping busy...so guess i best get busy too!!!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9374667

Good evening. Woke up at 3:45 this morning hacking like crazy. Tried to go back to sleep but couldn't, so started my day very early. Did laundry, paid bills, cleaned house. Had to be quiet until DH got up, but by then, I had quite a bit done.

WL are saying some more snow over the weekend, not that it makes any difference, not going anywhere that I know of.

I think I have been out of the house exactly 3 times in a week and a half. Probably won't be going anywhere until I get over this danged cold.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2013
5:09 AM

Post #9374939

healing energy to you Bonnie.
still cold here
no snow for us but may get up to the 30's and sun this week . so basicaly the snow will melt during the day and refreeze at night . not good
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 4, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9374974

We got some hay moved yesterday before the ground got slimy. It didn't get cold enough this morning to get more moved. Hopefully there'll be another day here in the next few days to do it again.

Then put the sheep out and thought I'd be nice to the ram and tie him closer to the girls so he'd have the benefit of a little bit of company which I've discovered that sheep crave, and before I could get back to him with his tie out block he'd hopped right across the fence and buried himself right in the middle of the flock of ladies. Then it was a half hour of stalking them around various pieces of machinery in the lot while trying to grab the lead on his halter. Happy he was not when I finally nabbed him. That was fair cause I wasn't very happy either.

Bonnie, hope you get to feeling better. DD got back to OK and started with a stomach flu. It appears that she picked it up at a New Years Eve party as one of the other families that attended there is also sick. I sure hope she didn't bring it back to us. My MIL certainly does NOT need that. She's a little frail woman anyway and while she's relatively healthy for 91 we certainly don't try to push the envelope. Better get moving. I want to get some turnips today. Has anyone ever tried to ferment them like sauerkraut? It must be the new rage as I had several people ask about it at market. Well, I have plenty of them so I just might give it a shot. I just hate the thought of peeling all those suckers...

Made some kraut yesterday in the jars instead of in a crock. Anybody do it that way? I put it in pints and it's in the basement so we'll see how it does. Sure was a lot of tamping in jars for 11 pints. At least all the cabbage is now out of the fridge. It wasn't nice enough to sell so maybe it'll be more palatable this way.

Got to get moving...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9374997

Janret, never heard of the turnips fermented. If you find out how it is done, let me know as DH is a big fan of anthing turnips.

Sounds like the ram was in 7th heaven for a bit. You old meanie you! That stomach virus is horrible. I think it hung on here for about 3 full days. Nothing to eat, just drank, lost weight, but don't recommend the diet!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9375055

not much to report here.
still cold brrrr. 19 this morning.
need to go to TSC so im off and walking slow LOL
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 5, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9376447

Did market today. It was kind of strange. The gun and knife show was in Rupp Arena and there was a memorial service for the New Haven children outside in front of the building at 12:30. Got home and haven't done much since. Guess we'll spend the night at my MIL's house with her as Miranda has gone to Bowling Green to meet friends. It's the first time she's gotten away in probably 2 years so she was well overdue.

Kate put up new fence for the sheep today. I've determined that sheep don't like tall grass, they like it short and tender so they aren't real happy about getting some clean up duty out around the barns. I guess they'll just have to deal.

Got some apples that I need to do something with this coming week. I'm running out of jelly jars rather quickly. I may end up freezing the apples for apple butter until the stores get in more jars.

A blackberry pie. Haven't made one in a while. Last year the blackberries were pitiful. I hadn't fertilized them for the past two years and it really told. There weren't as many canes and then with that frost last spring, the berries were almost nil. I imagine we'll have a short season again this year but I plan to get the fertilizer going so we can get back on track.

I think I'm going in and spending the rest of the evening on the couch watching mindless TV...

Not much else happening here.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

January 6, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9377723

Janet, I put kraut in pint jars some years ago and it turned out fine. This year I pickled sugarsnaps in pints, too . Stored in fridge and they were good, too

Not much happening around here. I try to keep busy, did get to the gym twice last week and worked in the back yard one day. My sinuses were feeling stuffy one morning until I stuck my nose in a jar of horseradish and cleared that up. Hope Bonnie and others get rid of all the bad germs.
Herman
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 7, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9377855

Herman, did you hot water bath it when it was done fermenting? I made kraut last year in the crock and then put it in jars but this is the first time for straight jars. I've only got 11 pints. Exactly what did you do?

Got two bushel of turnips I want to get peeled and shredded to try my hand at fermenting them. A few people have been asking for that kind of stuff at the market. I have no idea how many it takes to fill a 10 gallon crock. A lot of cabbage, that much I do know.

Got to make a run into Frankfort this morning to deliver some meat and produce. I wish I had a run like this to make every week and maybe someday it will.

Sue, what'd ya get at TSC? The Rural King that opened up here is slowly killing TSC down here. Had to laugh, a few weeks ago I decided I was buying a pressure washer and went to Rural King, Lowes and TSC. Long story short I went with TSC because the engine on the thing was a Briggs/Stratton and it didn't say "Made in China" on the outside of the box. Asked them if they'd take less on the thing and they knocked off $20. We've gotten to the point that whenever we buy something big there or buy a lot of something we just flat out ask for a discount and so far each time they've given us one. Never hurts to ask. $20 here and $20 there will eventually add up.

Better get moving.

salix_man
Barberton, OH

January 7, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9378508

Janet, "In 4 or 5 days when no more liquid is running out and bubbling has subsided, fermentation will have ceased. Wash the outside of the jars and tighten the bands. It may happen that the lids will have become misshapen. If so, replace with new lids.

Process in jars in a steam or water-bath canner for 15 minutes"

From The Country Gourmet Cookbook--S & G Roth.

Hope that helps. Herman

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 7, 2013

Post #9378608

I need to get over my fear of fermenting food.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9378634

I have heard of the kraut fermenting method in the jars, but have never tried it. I wondered if you added any salt, or just leave that till the time you open and cook it?

Janet, didn't realize that I needed to run to Frankfort today, we should have met for lunch! I had some church errands to run and took DS to pick up some meds and to visit with a former neighbor. Got my stuff done and ready to head home at about 2:00

Had enough left overs that I didn't have to do much for supper. Baked some sweet potatoes and cooked some corn, with a left over chicken/dressing casserole.

Herman, I am over the the crud, just have a cough left over. Seems it only bothers me at night. Not contagious, but must sound horrible.

Celene, do you eat kraut? There is some cheese that is fermented to, pickles. Just don't think about it!

Everybody else doing okay? I am getting several seed catalogs. Haven't ordered anything yet, but it will soon be time to get the tomatoes and peppers etc started.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 7, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9378696

I know kraut is fermented and I like it, I like sourdough and make it myself, but homemade pickles and kraut, I just need to get past the squick factor.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

January 7, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9378769

Bonnie, the salt is mixed with the cabbage before putting it in the jars and it is packed tightly, and sealed. As it ferments, it oozes and needs to have a plate under the jars. I was at the Ashery today and saw what you need, Horehound drops. I didn't buy any because I really don't like the taste and would only eat them if I needed. I went there to get molasses. I got qt for less than 12 oz in the supermarket.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9378914

when i do kraut i use a food safe bucket, layer cabbage and salt. squish it down .cover with a plate and brick wrapped in foil. to keep it pressing.
4-6 wks its good. nibble on it through out the season. have not done it in a few years but it has worked out pretty good. But i don't sell it as the state won't allow it. But i have wanted to try jar method .
heading off to visit cookie today.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 8, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9378945

OK this is the third time I've started a post. I get almost finished and it disappears. I don't know if I'm hitting something on this laptop or it's just doing whatever it wants to.

So far I don't know if I'm impressed with this jar kraut. My instructions said after the 5th day to put more brine in the jars. When I did this last night most of the jars were a little brown on top and soft. I'm hoping that it's crunchy a little further down in the jar. I guess I'll probably take the soft stuff off the top and repack the jars with only the good stuff when I HWB. I know I packed the jars tightly when I was putting it in. Not sure what's not right.

Bonnie, I was leaving town just about the same time you were. I had 6 stops to make and spent 4 hours. I hate going to town like that because it seems to ruin the rest of the day.

Guess I'm going to be spending the next couple of nights at my parents house. DB called me Sunday night and asked if I would stay with them because he was going out of town. Couldn't say no as he's there all the time but it's funny that there's two other children that live on the farm that could stay just as easily as me who lives 22 miles away but I might as well not go there. I'm usually the one that spends the night at the hospital when they're in there and apparently when DB goes out of town. I just hope he's not going to pick up some internet floozey to bring home like he did one other time. I suspect if he did my parents would blow a gasket this time. If they wouldn't, I would.

Sue, I have a big crock that if I have enough cabbage, I use. When I made pickles I went out and bought some new plastic buckets and they worked wonderfully. I guess it really doesn't matter just as long as it has a clean place to ferment.

Better get going before this post disappears too.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9378973

I ferment kraut, and lots of other veggies from asparagus to cauliflower, carrots and beets (but never green beans) in quart and half-gallon mason jars. I have 2 large fermenting crocks but they make too much for just one person (except garlicky dill pickles aka half-sours).

The advantage of fermenting is the added nutrition from the enzymatic actions of fermenting. However, if you then heat (as in canning) the ferments, you destroy all the goodness you have added in the process of fermenting.

Once the fermentation is complete (just a few days), I tighten the lids, wash the jars, and store them in my root cellar (a cool basement would work too). They keep all winter, and I just take out a small amount for a meal at a time. I try to consume them all before late spring temps make the root cellar too warm, but will resort to using my spare refrigerator generally used as a cheese cave if necessary.

If your kraut got brown and mushy on top, it probably wasn't fully submerged under the brine. I use some kind of weight to fully submerge the contents.

Sandor Katz has the best book on fermenting I've ever read. His new book is on my Wish List.
Wild Fermentation
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Fermentation-Flavor-Nutrition-Live-Culture/dp/1931498237/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357656660&sr=1-1&keywords=Wild+Ferments
The Art of Fermentation
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Fermentation--Depth-Exploration-Essential/dp/160358286X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357656660&sr=1-2&keywords=Wild+Ferments
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9379027

Hi everyone!
I've made kraut both ways..in jar..in crock. Much prefer the crock method as ..like Janet...got soft n brown on top in jars. I took that off and the rest was ok. Yes, Darius, and btw...good to see you!!!...I do think it was because it wasn't submerged completely.
Janet..do let us know about the turnips! Sounds good to me!
Not much going on here...just trying to keep warm and sane through the winter...lol.
It's been ball games..ball games...ball games...which I love going to! Ash's team has won all but one game...and are now 9-1! And that one game was only lost by 1 point! I probably already told you that, but was too lazy to go back and look...lol!
She has an away game tonight, that I am going to have to miss...boohoo! It's at 5 pm...and by the time I would be coming home it would be dark. Dave can't go because he works till 5. I don't really know the area well..and I don't like driving after dark in a strange area..sooooooo...I will miss it. First one I've missed.
Well..have to get lunch for my "ole man"...lol. He has to go to work at noon.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9379032

Marcy, congrat Ashley for me. That is a phenomenal record. I know she doesn't do it all by herself, but it does say much for their teamwork.

I do not drive after dark anywhere. Just can't see that well. I am filling out some church forms on line today, and having lots of vision problems today. Just as soon as I finish this report, you can bet, I will be resting my eyes (another name for a nap) and not doing any more paper work.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9379341

way to go Ashley on the win's. Hi Marcy !
got some girl time in with Cookie today. I returned a necklace Tim got me for christmas... yea i know poor me. I m picky and he gives it a good go at it.
Got lunch at PF Chang's it was very good. I did find it a bit much for me in the sodium dept. but well worth it !
we had great converstation too.
Hi Bonnie. i hope your feeling better and are on the mends.
Herman how is the gym going ? i have yet to make it this year yet LOL but there is a yoga class and a zumba class i want to take .
Janet yep that is family for you... we can pick our nose, but we can't pick our family LOL . :)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9379576

Thanks Sue, I think I am just about over whatever. I am feeling pretty good, except for a coughing fit every now and then.

I have been working on year end church reports today, and their website where I am supposed to enter figures is so contrary. It freezes up, I have to sign off, then sign back on, enter a few numbers, and then it is the same thing all over again. I didn't finish them but I will make another attempt at it again tomorrow.

Talked to DGD tonight, and she is driving here on Friday afternoon after she gets in from school. I told her to call me before she leaves home, so I can sit and worry til she gets here! This will be the first time that she has driven here, and I will be on pins and needles. I am sure that she will expect me to put gas in her tank before she starts back home on Sunday afternoon. Probably one of the main reasons that she is coming!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

January 8, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9379678

Sue, I had been going to the gym twice a week, but the last 2 weeks of the year I didn't and gained almost 10 pounds. Yoga stretch class started back last Wed and Fri, so that gives me an incentive to go. I try to do a few minutes on the treadmill before class and try to wear out the resistance machines after, but it works the other way, I get worn out first. You can keep the Zumba, that is for young folks, not arthritic old men like me.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
4:57 AM

Post #9379802

good morning
raining here today.
Herman this would be my first attempt at zumba. LOL don't know if i will enjoy it but , we shall see.
driving kids to school today. The loggers semi's are blocking our driveway and its to wet and mushy out to attempt driving the truck in the feild to get stuck.
BOnnie that is frusterating with the computer acting up .
so not much going on;
kroger had a buy one get one free meat so i got plenty of meat to cook today. may do jerky too.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2013

Post #9382402

Hi all. Well Ashley's team won that away game tooo...in an overtime no less! Jeannine said it was a great game...darn...sorry I missed it! Actually...the 8th grade girls have won every game too..as have the high school girls...and also the high school boys at Tri Village!!! Isn't that phenomenal????? I think it says a lot about our coaches!!
LOVED the warm weather we had today...and hopefully tomorrow...even though it rained. The sun did come out later.
Bonnie ...glad to hear you are feeling better too.
LOL Herman..about the Zumba...I hear that too! I'm sure I couldnt do it!!
Had a bad sleepless night last night...a pinched nerve in my back or shoulder..and sent intermittent pains down into my foot! I could not get comfortable laying. First the bed...then the couch...then the recliner. And of course the cat had to have her say! She absolutely can't stand for something to change in her house...geez...what a pain in the butt she was!
Anyway..it was better today..so hope i sleep tonight!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9382412

Marcy, when I have one of those nights, it is miserable for me and Mr. B too, because wherever I go he goes too. One night, I think I actually heard him hurumpp. It was a sneeze but happened at just the right time. I told him I voted that way too!

Gosh that is phenomonal all the teams winning. Hope that they got to divisionals, or sections, or whatever it is called in your state. Here it is district and regional, then state. Anyway that would be great if Ashley got to do that. Talk about having a fan for life, bet she wouldn't give it up for anything.

Sue, I tried zumba, and it is NOT for folks older than 35-40. It moves too fast for me. I got my membership card for SilverSneakers today, which means my health insurance pays my health club membership. I can go an unlimited number of times each week. They have organized exercise classes, and pool aerobics, and you can go use any of the gym equipment, or walk or whatever you feel like doing. I am phyched, and plan to go check it out and will probably make myself go and exercise.

Janet it is the FAC in Shelbyville, or Curves that honor the membership. Are you eligible for the silversneakers program age wise? Probably not. Darn, I was hoping I could convince you to meet me there, and we could exercise the rest of the winter. When gardening starts, I am sure both of us will get more exercise than what we need.

Herman, DO NOT TRY ZUMBA! I bought a video and tried it at home where nobody would watch, and it is good exercise, but moves so fast that I couldn't keep up. I ended up just standing in the floor giggling at myself. Sue, let us know how you do. I know a lady who enrolled in a class and stuck with it a full year, and dropped 100 plus pounds. She looks great!

Tomorrow have a bereavement luncheon at the church. Our oldest church member passed away and the church put together volunteers who will bring food, some will stay and serve and clean up. We went to visitation tonight, or late afternoon, and ate out at Cracker Barrel. Their cod fish dinner was really really good.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

January 11, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9382415

Marcy, I have had a pinched nerve for 25 years. Mostly there is no problem, but when my back acts up, I get the pain in the back of my knee. I usually use an ice pack while in the lounger. If you sleep on your side, try placing a pillow between your knees.

The snow is almost all gone. We had rain in the AM Thu and today, then it cleared off. Temp was 50 last night at 10. If the winter doesn't get any worse for the next two months, I'll make it through the Winter. I wonder why the gym is so crowded in Jan. By the end of Feb it will be back to just the regulars for the most part.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9382430

Herman, New Year's resolutions!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 12, 2013
12:41 AM

Post #9382512

If Zumba is too hard for you, Nia won't be. It's designed to be doable by people of varying fitness levels. There are 70 year old women in my class, but the instructor teaches it so it can challenge me, too. It's not going to pound your joints, either.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9382603

well this class is a senior class . its in the morning hrs so only the silver sneaker folks go to it or people who are overweight already. I do agree it can be fast paced as i did watch a class one time at the YMCA and i thought ... uhg no way for me .
but i do like the group of people
there is a yoga class at 9 am and then the zumba. if i don't like it i may do the cycleing class on the other days
they canceled the aerobic class that i used to do which was a great class ! The other aerobic class is a high power class and i ain't going there ! LOL
so i m limited . no pool at our gym :(
emotional eating got me into this mess :( so i have to get myself out . pants dont fit anymore .
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9382830

Back from the bereavement dinner at church. We served 54, and most everything was eaten, only a few bites of this and that left, so workers didn't get anything. I did have a piece of cake which was delicious.

Tired and I think I am going to rest now.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9383212

Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away the Pounds" walk-in-place workouts are a good way to get started. They progress from 1-mile to 5-mile workouts. I put together a playlist on YouTube so I wouldn't lose track of them. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuTK5ZZFZXspfZy-iiaHisY2hX8piR1aE&feature=view_all
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9384833

The pinched nerve eased up..thank goodness. Problem is...I always sleep on my left side, as i can't lay on my right side because of a pinched nerve in my neck there. Can;t lay on my back very long as my stomach starts to complain about that! And now...had THIS on my left side! I can lay on my stomach with a pillow under me..but again..not too long. I'm a mess!!!!~!!! LOL!
Anyway..I slept good the next night...and since!
Hate to see the cold weather come back again...geez...those warm temps were sooo sooo nice!
Bonnie, explain to me about the Silver Sneakers thing..will you???? I'm sure if you have to be old...I qualify..!! But I haven't heard of it?????
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9385246

Marcy, I have a supplement insurance furnished free to me by my retirement system. It is always a "bid" thing, and never the same insurance company gets the contract every year. However this year the supplement is managed by Humana, and this is a perk from them. It is called SilverSneakers, and gives you a free gym membership to use. I am sure that research has found that people who exercise are way healthier than those who don't. My main insurance is Medicare, and the supplement helps with prescriptions, and then this year this gym membership. I can use the Curves center in the town close to me, or the Family Activity Center, which is a multipurpose activity center. They have weights, all kinds of machines, a walking track, an indoor pool, classes in aerobics, etc. I have an appointment to go Wednesday to look at what is offered under this program, so am hoping that I can get signed up and use the facility a couple of times a week.

Have been working on end of year church reports so have been busy with that. I got a call tonight, to fill in for a pastor this coming Sunday. Sure am glad that I have a sermon all ready, and all I have to do it to look it over and and to go over it to see if the entire thing makes sense. Also preaching at another church on February 3, so gonna get my sermons polished up next week too.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 14, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9385302

They had a Zumba class that met at lunch where I worked but getting sweaty and then going back to work didn't appeal to me. Shoot, anything that resembles exercise doesn't appeal to me! Guess that's why I'm in the shape I'm in. Best thing I could do for myself right now is put my mud boots on and walk up and down these hills. I helped get some cows in the lot a few weeks ago and by the time I'd hoofed it to the bottom and top of a couple of hills I felt like a horse that had just run the Derby. Definately out of shape. Funny how fast that can happen.

No Silversneakers here. The problem with gym memberships around here is $3.25-$4.00 a gallon gas. That makes a trip to town and around cost about $5 a trip. Doesn't take long for that to add up big time.

Tomorrow is carpal tunnel surgery day. I'll get the right one done and an injection in the left. Hopefully that will take care of the numbness and pain at night and the numbness during the day. Right now my middle fingertip is somewhat numb just typing.

I got some turnips in a couple crocks Sunday. They're doing something down there. Exactly what I'm not sure. I guess if it doesn't turn out all I've done is waste a couple bushels of turnips. I did see a recipe for pickled turnips the other day and it actually looked good. A young turnip is pretty crunchy and if it held on to that crunchiness it could beat out a cucumber. I'll probably try that one next fall. I think I'm done peeling turnips for this season.

Beddy bye for me...Later y'all
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9385318

Janet, sure do hope that your surgery goes well. Anybody going with you for it? Hope that you have a DH who will drive you and bring you home. Sounds like maybe people in your house better be self sufficient in getting their own meals, until the surgery sites heal.

You know if you need anything, just call, or have one of the girls call me, and I can be there in a jiffy.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

January 14, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9385398

I have had Silver Sneakers through United Healthcare medicare complete for about 5 years now. My AARP plan cost $0, but has some big co-pays. It is offered in selected counties in OH. Check your Medicare booklet. My Y has Yoga stretch and MSRom classes conducted under Silver Sneakers, plus all the other amenities in the Y are available. Their goal is to keep us oldsters healthy and out of the hospital. It works for this old f__t.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2013
10:55 PM

Post #9386721

Celene, what is Nia?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 16, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9386848

http://www.nianow.com/
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 16, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9387382

We got back yesterday afternoon and pretty much laid around for the rest of the day. The anesthesia always makes me a little sick to the stomach so Laying low seemed to be the right thing to do. No pain last night and none to speak of today. I'm not turning cartwheels with the hand but can at least type. I'm starting to get some stuff together for income taxes. At least it's something I can do with a minimum of effort. Otherwise it's rather boring around here.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9387548

Thanks, Celene!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2013

Post #9387710

Janet, glad that your surgery went well, and I hope that the relief from the pain is immediate. You need a mini vacation anyway, so use this as a good excuse.

I just about lost it today/tonight with a blasted church report that I had to do online. Well, that normally wouldn't be a problem, but the web site was screwey and in frustration sent an email to the person who is designated as troubleshooter. Well, turns out he is a "high ranking" official in the Kentucky conference, and he called me to see if he could help me over the phone. I am so embarrased that I spouted off, instead of taking a long break and coming back to it later. But I felt I was under pressure to get it in under the deadline, and I was running short of time. He was so nice, so now am going to compose and send a nice thank you letter to him, and an apology. My red face is not becoming to me at all.

Instead of going out today to get groceries and to visit the Family Activity Center, due to the weather, I elected to stay off our slippery roads, and will go to the grocery tomorrow.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 20, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9391575

Yeah, I bet you did feel a little small after he called! LOL! I would have!

Not much going on here. Market was so so yesterday. People talk eating local but the only time they want to is in the summer when the tomatoes, corn and green beans are around. The true local eaters are the one's that are showing up now. We pulled a good one yesterday. While DH was running a man's debit card through the reader he forgot to give it back to him and we didn't find it laying there until the end of market. We ended up having to come home and do detective work trying to find this fellow. Luckily we did and got it back to him last night. When we called him he didn't even know that he didn't have it. I guess if I had to leave a credit or debit card somewhere a farmer's market would be my first choice. I can't think of a vendor that I know that wouldn't try his/her best to notify the person and return it.

Been going through some apples that I still have and picking out the ones that are starting to wrinkle or get spots. Since I'm not up to peeling a bunch of apples, I'm just quartering them and freezing them to make apple butter later.

The dogs rolled in skunk spray this morning. That meant everyone was getting major baths before 8 o'clock this morning. I guess I'll be stocking up on peroxide, vinegar and soda plus that deodorizing shampoo. Apparently skunk season is already here.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9391791

Janet, on Thursday I had just come out of Walmart when my phone rang. I answered it and it was the Fraud division of First Bank asking about 2 online purchases made that morning. We I didn't make any online purchases, so they cancelled my card, said they would be sending me forms to fill out, and would reissue me another card with a whole different number. Guess times are hard, and the thieves will try anything to get money or a credit card. It usually happens this time of year.

Our county market shuts down in the winter, actually at the end of October, and doesn't open again till the last of April. So I guess they know that there are very few who eat locally all year long.

What is the estimated time of your recouperation? Hope that you don't get to feeling really good and decide that there are things that just have to be done. Remember, if you damage it, it will only just have to be redone, and probably a longer healing time.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 21, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9392177

Skunk-Off is my favorite deskunking product. I can't believe it's a preference that I have, but I do.

I am looking at making some bamboo trellises. Should I do anything other than polyurethane on the parts that stick into the ground?
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 21, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9392786

My SIL was looking at her bank statement last week and noticed a $200 plus withdrawal from her account from Dell Financial. It listed a check number that was in a series that she used over 7 years ago,. Unfortunately she purged those checked about 6 months ago but she knew she it couldn't be right because she's never bought ANYTHING from Dell. She's spent probably 20 hours on the phone this past week trying to get her money back and has talked to every Indian customer rep that Dell employs. She was a little hot under the collar that the credit union was doing so little to try to get it straightened out. She's had to do all the leg work before the credit union would do anything to try to help her.

Bons, they told me not to lift over 8 pounds and I think I've probably held to that. If it starts stinging I give it a rest. And it's doing less of that each day.

Better get some supper on.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9392806

Hi folks.
Thanks for explaining that Bonnie about the Silver Sneakers.
Janet...glad your hand is doing better each day.
Ashley's team won again this past Saturday! I'm so proud of them...and the rest of our school's teams too. All are undefeated this year..except of course, Ashley's 7th grade team...they had that one loss by one point...but still..!!
I don't remember if I had said...but Ashley was picked to be in the Darke Co. Honors band too! She is one busy lil girl!! Grandmas' have to brag you know!!!
Not much going on here...just trying to stay warm...and make it through the winter.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9392912

Marcy, if it weren't for grandmother's how would everybody else know what great grandkids they have? I have done my share of bragging about mine. She has been in the honors program since she was in the 3rd grade, but she never wanted me to tell anybody about it because it embarassed her that she was so smart. Nothing wrong with that, as far as I know. She is planning on going to school to be a vet. It is such a long education, but guess they will make the cost of school back with the fees they charge.

That is so good about the basketball teams, and you and she have a right to be proud of that record.

Janet, it seems like you have no cooperation or help from the companies you deal with anymore. Seems like if you have a bank account or a credit card, they just throw you to the wolves if anything goes wrong.

I guess I am lucky as my problem is with a visa card and the fraud division called me, saying that they noticed some unusual activity on my card. Glad that they do keep a close eye on things. as it would have been the end of the month before I got the bill and noticed the charges.

Have an appointment tomorrow with my macular specialist. I hope they say this cataract is to the point I can have surgery, as I am getting to the point that I am having to use a magnifying glass to do just about everything. Couldn't be on here, except I have the print as large as it will go. Guess the next step is a seeing eye dog.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 21, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9393010

FWIW, in today's veterinary economy, the average new grad veterinarian makes $56K, and pays $800-$1500 per month in student loans.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9393017

Puts a different spin on things huh!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 22, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9393343

Yup. Veterinarians do many of the same things that physicians do, at 1/10 or less of the price, and a fraction of the salary, with the same education expense. My 100 lb. mother's spay was over $10,000, my 100 lb. dog's spay was $260. And the pain rx to go home and all surgical rechecks were included. When they used the same anesthetic, I actually laughed.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 22, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9393355

Unfortuately the large animal vet is working with folks that don't have much spare change and there's fewer of them out there any more so it's certainly not as well paid a position as it used to be. I'd say that the small animal vets in the cities can do better than the large animal vets that have to travel as well as do the work. I think our trip charge now is $80 and if he's there over a certain amount there's an hourly fee so you can be sure that when we preg check everybody's in the barn waiting when he gets there and it's get in there and get the job done. We can usually push 20-30 heifers through to preg check in an hour or less. We cut, worm and vaccinate ourselves.

Don't you all worry about bragging on children. It's so much better to hear about everyone's children being smart and having talents and hobbies than it is to hear that you've had to go to juvenile court and you don't know what to do with defiant behavior. We usually only hear about the bad ones so you all just brag away. I know I've griped about my kids a lot but I've never had to go to court with them and to my knowledge there's no drug or alcohol problems so I think we need to hear about good as much as possible.

Bonnie, your granddaughter might want to consider KSU in her college plans. They have an agreement with the Auburn to take a kid or two if they meet qualifications without as much competition as there is with the rest of the state schools. Or at least they used to. They also have one with the three state law schools and the two state med schools. And she'd also probably get full tuition at KSU with her good grades. I think Kate is headed to Murray. I'm not wild about it being such a drive to get down there and back and I think UK probably has a better hort program but I let the other 3 choose their colleges and the more I'd say the more determined she'd be to go so I'm trying to keep my mouth shut. I think she probably knows what I think anyway regardless of what I haven't said.

Celene, a vet professor I had in college worked for Eli Lilly before he came to UK and he once told us that the production line would just stop, they'd change the dosage, bottles and labels and they'd go from human meds to animal meds. Which doesn't surprise me at all.

Better get moving. Everybody stay warm. I have water in the kitchen but the cold water in the bathroom appears to be froze this morning Forgot to put it on drip last night.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 22, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9393376

I agree, I'd rather hear about the accomplishments of kids, grandkids, etc. than see them having trouble. Brag!

There are few drug manufacturers, especially in the USA. They all make veterinary and human drugs. Almost all generics and most other meds are made overseas, human OR animal.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 22, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9393385

Well, we were talking about 35 years ago. :-) Sounds like thinks have changed like everything else around here. Not surprising.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9393783

crazy part is for the price of that vet visit bill , you can buy another animal in most cases. I m refering to farm animals. not pets.
i guess that is why so many large animal vets are a dying breed. ?
savannah is officially a vegetarian . she proclaimed this last week . when i told her she has to eat vegatables , she gave me a strange look LOL
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 22, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9393864

Sue, in some cases you are absolutely right. Sheep are selling $125-$225 apiece around here and it doesn't take long for a vet bill to rapidly get out of hand. There have been times that we've put animals down when they're bad, bad sick or chronic instead of pouring money into a black hole. We just can't afford it.

Cold water was froze in the bathroom this morning. Kate said it had thawed when she got home from school. I have to make sure I set it on drip when we go to bed tonight so we don't have a rerun tomorrow morning.

I'm starting to work on the taxes. I HATE that job with a passion and would put it off forever but I know the sooner I get it out of the way the better and I have this splint on until at least Monday so I should be able to get a lot of it done.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9393904

sad but true isn't it.
savannah wants to be a large animal vet. Hopefully they're still is a need for them . ?
we don't take our farm animals to a vet nor have one come to the house , sad to say .
well it sure is cold today. feeding goats and chickens in this weather is the pits ! :(
I hate taxes too. I never have any idea what i m doing. since last year was such a ... well... i have no idea where any reciet is ? uuhhg.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 22, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9393924

Well, it sure teaches you to do a lot of things yourself. We do all the worming, vaccinating, castrating and have all the chains and pullers to deliver calves. If the vet gets called for a pulling you can bet it's going to be a bad one and Doc will earn every penny he gets.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9394048

i m sure in time we will need to call upon one someday. Once we start kidding next year and get more involved in goats and other larger critters.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 22, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9394197

Good thing about those smaller critters, you buy a large dog carrier, throw them inside and take them to the vet. Saves a trip charge!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2013

Post #9394208

Well, I was gone most of the day with an appointment with my macular specialist. They did another test that I had never had before, and couldn't see squat until about 5:00. Never the less, I made dinner.

Cataract isn't quit ready for surgery so will have to endure the poor vision for a little longer.

Having inlaw problems. Deceased DBIL's two daughters who don't know squat about farm animals or farming, fired the hired hand and asked him to move immediately. I called them last night and asked who was going to be going out in the zero weather to water and feed horses? Long silence, then I said not my DH. And the conversation was finished. Ball is in their court, so will see if DH caves, or if they rehire the guy.,
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2013
10:06 PM

Post #9394357

I should be in bed, as I have to drive to Middletown tomorrow for a funeral... but the computer is much more interesting than sleep. I had to go to court with my DS twice. One speeding ticket, and one time when he wasn't even driving age but he got into the car and put it into gear and knocked over a stop sign. Not an experience I would like to repeat, ever, but I'm glad it wasn't anything worse. I called my DS earlier and told him that I was going to make a videotaped will just in case we hit a snow squall tomorrow going to the funeral, as it would leave him with two extra houses, four additional cats and 2 extra dogs. He was all wierded out, but I said that I wasn't going to spend my last few moments of life wishing that I'd made out a will so he wouldn't have to go through probate. He said he had two sister in law to take care of the houses and pets and a wife who'd graduated from law school, but he'd really prefer that I not get in a car accident. That would be my preference, too, but looking at all those cars strewn all over the highways yesterday made me more concerned than usual. I've got experience driving in whiteout conditions, where you'd like to get off the road but don't know where the side of the road is. Actually, if it gets that bad, we'll just stay home.
Janet, I'm amazed that you're doing so well with your surgery. Keep it up!
Bonnie, good luck with the inlaw problems. People just get more than a little crazy after a close loved one dies--- all the while thinking that they're being perfectly reasonable. I'm wincing thinking about stuff I said or did myself after my parents died.
Funeral is for a cousin who was a year younger than I am, with many years of chronic illness. A real sweetheart. too. Please remember Wally in your prayers, and his wife MAtrine, and children Heather, Jon, and Siobhan.
Pat
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 23, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9394455

So Bons, who fed the horses this morning? Sometimes I just don't understand people. They wouldn't let Fifi or Tinkerbell go without their supper and a warm place to sleep but they just assume that because a horse or cow grazes in the pasture that they are no maintainance?

They won't do the surgery when you say it's affecting your daily activities? That's what my MD did. He said he'd do it when I decided it was interferring enough for me to want it gone. He also said it was easier to remove the lens before it got totally hard. The second one he did was a lot harder than the second because the lens was harder and he had to chip it out of the sac that holds it. Don't know, just relating mine. Sure do see better after it's done though. But other than the cataract the eyes are doing ok?

Pat- too funny! Now, is the will you made going to be the last one or are you going to put one on paper now? We have one but haven't had it updated in years. So long ago that we had my SIL raising the kid if anything happened and the last one just turned 18 in August and I'm not sure she was even born when it was written. It pretty much says pay the bills and divide equally so I guess it hasn't changed much.

Think I pulled a few stitches in the hand day before yesterday. Cut up a bunch of apples to freeze to make applebutter later and the incision was a little tender yesterday. Didn't do much yesterday and won't do anything more than some typing today. That should take care of it. It's around 15 here this morning so I have no desire to do anything outside that I can get someone else to do!

Later all. Hope the day is good.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9394525

Happy Birthday Marcy. Your ice cream to go with the cake shouldn't melt too fast!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2013

Post #9394551

Good morning all!
LOL Bonnie...that's been the story of my life...since being born in January!!! And thanks much!
Just glad to still be here, and not in too bad of shape..compared to many others!
Almost forgot I need to go get driver's license this year..plus plates! Hope we can get there n back before the snow hits this afternoon.
Thanks all about the bragging...lol. Yep..I would much rather brag about them doing good things than bad things! None of my 3 kids were ever in trouble either...and I was so very thankful for that.
I think they have all turned out pretty good...and have good kids too! And that's not to say that some who have been in trouble, still turn out good later!! I know that...I've seen it happen!!
Pat...that pileup was awful to hear about. I've been in white outs before too...and they are just blinding.
My vets are a young couple..husband n wife. She does the small animal care..he does the large farm animals. I started with them when they were first out of college..in a small milkhouse behind their house. They now have built a nice large clinic on some of their land...and have a very lucrative practice!! I really like them both...especially her..because she is the one I deal with. She is so very caring with animals.
Well..i best get moving...Dave is cracking the whip here...LOL..shhhh!!!!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9394963

Happy Birthday, Marcy! Hurry up and get your license renewed because now they charge you extra if you haven't gotten it by your birthday (at least in this county).

So far we've only had 3 snowflakes, so hopefully I won't need a will, updated or not. My dad died when he was just 44, and I remember going to the paint store he owned with my mother, because he'd left the will in the safe there, along with some cash if necessary. I was really grateful for his foresight, as he had pretty much dropped dead from a heart attack in the pre- heart surgery days, trying to finish the back nine on the WIldwood golf course in Middletown. He made it to the hospital but died from another MI two days later. Now I worry about passwords and account numbers and all that, but part of me worries that if I get it all straightened out and down in black and white, the Lord will take it as a signal that I'm ready to go!

I just looked at my previous post and I managed to maul Wally's wife's name: it's Martina, not Matrine (sounds like twins, Latrine and Martine).

Still feels bitterly cold here, despite the supposed higher temp. They're talking 52 here next week!
Pat

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9395315

Happy Birthday Marcy !
Pat sending healing energy to you and your family. I m so sorry to hear of the news of you cousin.
Ky sure hope you don't pull out anymore stitches. take care of that area. course you know that already.
BOnnie hope the girls can get in the " real world " .
not much going on here. cold and just grocery errand day here.
got some snow on the ground but not much maybe 1/4 " or so .
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 28, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9399926

Darius, these turnips were supposed to stay crunchy weren't they? They fermented but they were soft and mushy. I threw the whole mess out. I was very surprised though, the ram thought they were fine. He started eating them. I wish I'd given the ewes some too. At least something would have gotten some good out of them. I'm not sure I want to try that again. There was a recipe I saw for pickled turnips I might try next fall.

Not much going on here. I get my stitches out today and I'm ready. I have a list of stuff that needs to be done and this splint is getting in the way. Going to SAM's too. I don't like the Lexington store as well as the Louisville one. It seems to run higher on the prices than Louisville for some reason.

I think some of my ewes are bagging up. They built some maternity pens in the barn so we're ready.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9399976

Kydaylilylady, I've never actually fermented turnips, but I believe they should stay crunchy like my cauliflower and carrots do. I just remembered last night that I have a few turnips from a neighbor stored in the root cellar that I should check. If they are still okay I will try to ferment a few.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9400125

Janet, sorry that experiment didn't work. I would think that they would have to be sliced as thin as cucumbers, like making pickles. I bet you could use them in relishes. I have a pepper relish that calls for cabbage, and I bet that you could substitute some of them for some of the cabbage. Hope that the stitch removal goes well, and that the splint is a thing of history. If you need to still wear it, I hope it is at night so that it isn't bothersome during the day.

It is a rainy old day here, and I had plans to work out in the garage on painting a sign for the church, but I fear that it 1) isn't warm enough and 2) that I couldn't position the sign by myself, as it is huge. It blew down in a wind storm and is here for some repair, and I thought since it was down already, it could stand some paint.

I am so bored I have straightened my sock drawer, my underwear drawer, gone through my jewelery box, and still looking for something else to do.

I made an apple cobbler to stick in the oven after while, and I have a pot of northern beans on cooking. Could tackle the mess on the desk, but I am not into sorting paper, not that bored yet.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9400337

Hey, folks, thanks for the good energy from last week. We didn't die on the road, and in fact, never got as much as a snowflake on the way there or back. The funeral was wonderful --- surely a phrase you don't hear too often, but Wally's life was well celebrated, and the family was included. The minister was an 80+ year old charmer and there was a really good turn out for such a cold, cold night. Afterwards, abt 20 of us headed to Frisch's and took over a section so we could swap stories and plan some visits.
Friday I went to the container store and ended up buying some Elfa shelving for the laundry room. Now I have drawers and a hanging rack and a space for the ironing board and stepstool where they won't fall over but they're still accessible. Now all I have to do is catch up on the laundry!

Talked to Chele last week and their washing machine is on the friz. She said she can still do laundry if someone sits there during the rinse and spin phase with a shop vac to suck up the water on the floor.

It's warm, wet and windy here today. Over and out!
Pat
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 28, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9400399

I think the recipe for turnip pickles would work. Course I was expecting the turnips to come out crunchy too. I sure did hate to waste 2 bushel of turnips though. Darius, do those turnips. What I was seeing was that some folks were making them into sticks like french fries. I sliced them thinly like sauerkraut.

I don't know when I'll be bored enough to go through my drawers. Not that they don't need going through. I know I have knee socks that won't stay up that could stand new homes. There's also those that are a percentage of polyester that the toes and heels are threadbare but they won't get a hole in 'em so I won't throw them away.

The stitches pinched a little coming out but otherwise fine. It feels a little tender like it need a bandaid over it at least. The MD told me not to fall on it the next week or two because it'd pop open. Now I'm obsessing on not doing that!. They gave me two sponges to squeeze. A pretty pink one that's not so firm and a blue firm one. I was supposed to start with the pink one but I think I can go on to the blue one now. There doesn't seem to be anything majorly wrong with the old grip strength.

Pat, glad you got back in one piece and that the funeral was good for the family. Now days there's so much going on in people's lives that they have little time for their families and I'm guilty of that too. That and the fact that some of them I don't really care to see! The space organization stuff is great as long as we don't collect another bunch of stuff to overflow.

Better get to thinking about some supper. I think it's leg of lamb tonight.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 28, 2013

Post #9400630

I am probably going to make some bread dough tonight, and mushroom soup that looked good in Fine Cooking, to go with leftover roast beef sandwiches.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 28, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9400643

Oh, that sounds good. I haven't made real biscuits or anything that required gooey hands since the CTS surgery. The incision cite is a good bit tender but I think biscuits can go back on the menu tomorrow night. The lamb was really good. That pesky bottle lamb that we had last spring eats pretty darned good.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9400678

Janet, lamb is something akin to deer or rabbit to me, the visual is just too much for me to even try it. I get the mental picture of a little lamb nursing a bottle, and his little tail a twitching. Couldn't do it unless I was near starved. But so glad that you can and it was good.

Would you believe that the apple cobbler was barely touched. The big attraction to DH was the cornbread and milk. He has already had one glass of it, and will probably do another before bed. Eeew. Don't care for milk, and my cornbread I like hot with butter!

Pat glad to hear from you, and glad that the weather didn't interfere with your travel plans. It is such a comfort to have a "good funeral" for the family. There are no words necessary really, because the person has preached his/her funeral by the way they lived. Wayne's DB was sort of like that, and several people shared memories they had of him. At his DM's funeral the long time minister who had known the family for many years told stories of her and bringing the 11 kids to church, all clean as a whistle and outfitted maybe in not the best but washed and ironed like they were the finest of the very rich. You could just visualize the kids all lined up with shiny clean faces and clothes. And knowing the boys, you knew it wouldn't be long before the clothes needed another good washing and hanging on the clothes line.

Janet, be very careful of jumping on the firmer sponge too soon. That is why you got a soft one and a firm one, silly, they meant for you to start out slow. Had to laugh about your drawers, I had one sock that didn't have a mate, and I couldn't bring myself to toss it. I figure just as soon as I do that the other one will show up.

Chele, if you are reading, please know that I keep your family in my prayers. Sooner or later things just have to make a turn around. ((hugs)) to all of you.

Celene, if you miss some of your bread dough, it has escaped to me south of you! That is my weakness, and I very seldom make homemade yeast bread, because I could eat a whole batch. I have a very delish recipe for refrigerator rolls, and you can have them every night for a week. Just pinch off what will make a meal, roll them out and let them rise about 45 minutes, and they always taste just as good the last of the dough as they did the first!

Sure hope that I am better satisfied tomorrow than I was today. Finally this afternoon sat down to watch some stupid tv (there is nothing on in the day time with even over 100 channels) and fell asleep. Guess that was the turning point because after that I had settled down and was very content to make supper and clean the kitchen. Sat and read after supper, while DH watched a stupid basketball game. I think he is going to NY next weekend, and while he is gone, I am going out to buy a new tv for the bedroom and a recliner or a nice comfy chair where you can get comfortable to watch. Now if I go to the bedroom to watch tv, I have to sit/lie on the bed and that is just not comfortable.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 28, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9400710

Defoecat, that is my problem with all meat. lol

Kydaylily, wish we lived closer, I make a gallon of the no-knead bread dough at a time. I'd just give you one, all you have to do is plop it onto a pan, shape it a little, let it rise and bake. Biscuits would be a lot easier on your hands, though. How about soda bread? It's pretty soft dough.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
11:15 PM

Post #9400894

Well I'd be happy to have cornbread, yeast bread, no knead rolls, and anything else in the bread family. I love my bread and I look like it too. My younger sister makes my mom's old yeast bread recipe into dinner rolls for holidays. It's labor intensive because the rolls are small, abt a 2 bite size. We all fight over the leftovers like crazy. I don't have the touch for bread that both my sisters have, so I guess I'll just stick to the stuff I can't mess up so easily. Hot cornbread sounds pretty good, too, tho.

I forgot to tell you all about a Xmas present from my DS. It's a "postgarden," a postcard that is folded into a seed tray with a very absorbent sheet of paper in the bottom. It comes with a packet of cress seeds. My card looks like a conservatory, with columns and pillars. As long as the seeds sprout, it'll look great. I'll keep you posted--- sorry, I couldn't resist.

Pat
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 31, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9404238

Well, Pat, I guess the spring planting bug is about to hit if you're ready to sprout seeds. I'm getting ready to seed some spinach, chard and lettuce to see if I can get a jump on the market.

Right now I'm sitting in the hospital with my MIL. Last night she was getting up from the kitchen table to head to the bathroom to get ready for bed, she goes to bed at 7:15 each evening, and she fell in the bathroom door. We were there eating supper and when things like that happen, they really do look like they're moving in slow motion, and so are you. None of us could get across the room fast enough to keep her from going down so she smacked her head on the door jamb and had some finger lacerations. We decided she was going to the hospital to make sure she didn't have a concussion and when they got through, they found out she'd fractured her hip. We're thinking it broke before she even went down. Anyway, they've done a partial hip replacement and she's sleeping it off right now. They said they'll have her up walking tomorrow, which is good due to the possibility of pneumonia. We'll be here with her until probably Tuesday. At that time I don't know where they'll send her for rehab. She wants Cardinal Hill in Lexington. Hopefully that'll work out.

Got home and helped get some sheep netting moved so the girls can have new pasture tomorrow. They're getting some ungrazed areas around the house. Hopefully they'll help with some of the trimming and weed control around the buildings this summer. They sure do like the old fashioned honeysuckle and Queen Anne's lace and chickweed appear to be favorites too.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9404249

Janet, so sorry to hear of your DMIL's fall. I know what you mean about slow motion. Seems like it is recorded in molasses. I would imagine that the hip snapped causing her to fall. My DMIL did practically the same thing, and she recovered in record time, and went back to work. Of course she worked until she was 79. She was a feisty little thing. You may have found a smaller version of the goat for the weed control. I didn't have a clue that they ate things like that. I thought that they just liked green grass!

Pat, put your seeds away. Have you looked outside today? Hehe, think it is going to be a good while before any seed starting happens here. They are talking about at least an inch of snow overnight.

We have had winds that for about 3 days. During the night last night the wind blew the rain directly at the bedroom windows and it sounded like it was hail. We have had enough rain for awhile, as the grown was frozen and the rains are just creating ponds where it can soak into the ground.

This inside stuff is really getting boring. I have done all the paper work that is around, and the only thing left to do is housework. If it was just a little warmer, I would start some spring cleaning. Not that I am so much into cleaning.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9409449

I guess I didn't explain myself very well: the postcarden is a postcard sized box that you open & fold. The bottom has an absorbent paper. You add seeds and you have a little indoor cress garden. It's kind of cute. Here's a link to what it looks like:
http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/noted/postcarden.cfm?source=google_base&utm_source=google_base&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=cse_February&gclid=CMLQzMiIoLUCFVCd4AodRA0AdA

Chele called last night and had hit a skid on the way home from school. She said they travelled sideways, then turned around again so they were facing backwards and ended up in a corn field. One of the girls ended up with a goose-egg on her forehead, and everyone was pretty shaken up, but it looks like nothing was broken. Car was driveable with only a few dings on it. I bet it will be hard to get into the car and drive today, just from the shake up.
It was wickedly slippery even here. I was on my way home from DDIL's house and was planning to cruise around a bit and enjoy the snow, but quickly saw that everyone was slip-sliding, so I put it in low gear & went home.
Janet, hope your MIL gets the rehab place she wants, and heals quickly. The times to be most watchful,imho, are when she makes sthe transition from hospital to rehab, and then from rehab to home.

Well, my cat is sneezing up a storm, so I just booked a vet appointment. Baby sis has the flu but is on the mend. Beloved childhood music teacher has died, so we have to go to a funeral in Xenia on Saturday. Seems like this winter has been full of sickness and dangerous weather! I'm praying for things to calm down a little.

Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9409735

Oh, sending hugs and clean underwear to Chele and her family. Bet they need both, and yesterday the underwear.

Pat, I understand, and did before you posted the link. I think I have seen them in a gardening magazine or somewhere. Sorry about your friend. Seems when you start attending funerals the come in bunches.

Janet are you staying with your DMIL at the hospital? That is not a very good place for rest. Sure hope it is a long time before I have to make another in facility visit, as in be a patient.

Today was the first day of my nursing home ministry. It went well, and I really enjoyed it. I met the resident cat, forgot his name, but he smelled Mr. B on me and I think it will be awhile before we become friends. I said something to the effect that he was bigger than my dog, and the activities director asked what kind of dog. She told me they had a resident dog, and if I could bring an updated health record so they could see he had had all his shots, Mr. B was free to come with me on my visits. Isn't that neat? Probably won't take him every week, but if the residents like him and want to see him, I will try to work him in a couple weeks a month at least. I am sure that Mr. B will enjoy it.

Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 8, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9411860

MIL was transferred to Cardinal Hill on Monday. They are working her behind off with therapy but she's determined that she's getting out of there ASAP so it's ok. They're top notch there as far as rehab. They're also giving her some more therapy on the right side where she had her stroke years ago so that's good too. I anticipate her being home in 2-3 weeks. Especially since they don't have one of the channels that gets UK ball games!

Had to go to my parents yesterday. Dad called and said that Mom just didn't have any energy, just wanted to stay in bed and didn't want to eat anything. Got down there and she was in bed. Told her to get up and come to the den because I wasn't going to spend the entire time leaning on the door jam talking to her. In the course of the conversation she said she'd go to the doctor. I've never seen my father move so fast for the phone. He got an appointment before she could talk herself out of it so I'm going down this afternoon to take her. I suspect her sugar is out of whack and I know she's depressed. Having that itch back in the house would be enough to do it to anyone. And my brother can't carry on a conversation without getting super loud and disagreeing with everyone. Part of me would like to feel sorry for them but my other brother and I gave them options on not having the woman back in the house.

Got a short market in Frankfort tomorrow in addition to the Lexington one. One lady there has two high tunnels and raises lettuces all winter so she has some now. I've been telling Paul that if we had one and were doing the same thing in Lexington that we'd have more people coming to market. I think he's almost convinced but since we don't have one up or have ground prepared at this point it's only a dream.

Pat, hope your weather is better. Please tell Chele to stop in here and visit. Or at least get word through you how they are. I'm glad no one was hurt in their little scare.

Bonnie, visiting the nursing home will be something those folks will look forward to. I know the days are so long for these folks. I used to see some of them gathered around the nurses station at Crestview and I know it was because that's where there was some action and they wanted some human contact. Take Mr. B. I bet he'd love it and so would they.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9411864

Raining this morning, but I don't have much planned, so that is good that it will force me to stay inside to get some things done. I changed the sheets on DGD's bed and just dumped them when they got dry, so that is the first order of the day, getting that bed made. She requested a meatloaf for supper tonight, so will get that done. Otherwise, I guess that leaves me to ponder taxes, and I guess it is time, I have put it off all week, and I don't want to have to avoid them all next week.

Janet, glad that you talked your DM into going to the Dr. If I were you and the other brother, I would team up and if necessary force the DB and his floozie out the door with force. For heaven's sake!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9412101

Hi everyone!
I see that I haven't been here for a while again...shame on me.
No excuses...just..here i am again.
This has been a hard winter for most everyone I think...me included. I just cant see spring soon enough!
I am so anxious to get out and scratch in the dirt!
Other than that...we are both well here..and hope it stays that way.
Just been running to ball games for quite a few weeks now...but they are over as of last night. The girls lost their second tourney game...and as it is single elimination..they are done.
They really had a great season. Only lost 3 games total...1 didnt count .as it was out of our conference...and the other 2 ...both were lost by only 1 point! Better luck next year!!
Well..I'm headed out to the grocery...so take care all. I will try to read n catch up later.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9412263

Hey Good to see you Marcy. Gosh they did have a great season. I am sure that as the team grows and matures that next year will be better. I am hoping for a flawless record for them. Do either of the kids participate in any summer sports? I am sure that it is so exciting watching your grandchildren compete. Mine has never been athletic, but she can sure knock out the academic competitors. She participates in something like a quizz thing. Don't know what it is called, but she slays them with her smarts! she doesn't want anybody to know how smart she is and always is fussing at me when I tell somebody how smart she is.

Nothing much going on. I do have the taxes in order, and ready to take to the tax preparer. Whoopee, and I did it all without DH.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9418156

Had to have my all time favorite kitty, Patch, put to sleep today. :-((

Thumbnail by goshsmom

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9418267

Oh, Pat, I am so sorry to hear that. ((hugs)) to you. I know that it is very difficult to part with them, even if we know that it is the right thing to do.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 13, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9418380

I'm so sorry, Pat.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 14, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9418579

So sorry to hear that Pat. You know you did the right thing though even though it's hard.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9419005

He was almost 13 so I can't complain that he didn't have good mileage... He just had an exceptional personality. Plus he was a big cat. He could have given some pygmy goats a run for their money. Finally, an excellent mouser, which we've sorely needed since I put all those grasses in by the driveway. Of course, there was that night when he brought me a mouse at 3 AM. At first I thought it was a catnip toy, then: EEKAMOUSE! Not crazy about sleeping with live mice. He used to scare the dog just by lumbering into the room, then sitting on the dog's puff just to establish who was really in charge. So now we're down to just Bruiser as far as cats go, and Bruiser would really like to live outside all the time, or anywhere in or on my car. When I'm unloading groceries, I have to be careful not to shut him in the car. He sleeps on top of the car, in the garage, in the summer, and has gotten stubborn about getting off, even when I back the car out. He would probably drive if I let him (shades of Toonces!). Lord, I love my critters.
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9419186

Pat, he sounded like he enjoyed a long life and a good life with you. Just be glad that your paths crossed in this lifetime.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 15, 2013
4:19 AM

Post #9419590

Anybody ready for a new thread? Looks like this one is getting a bit long..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298366/

This message was edited Feb 15, 2013 7:21 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America