Photo by Melody

Article: Have You Tasted A Persimmon?: persimmon cake

Communities > Forums > Article: Have You Tasted A Persimmon?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Have You Tasted A Persimmon?Replies: 5, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maggiemudpie
Golden Gate, IL

November 12, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9331040

run persimmons thru colinder to amount to 2 cups pulp in large bowl combine three and one third cups flour three cups sugar two teasp. baking soda one and one half teasp. salt one teasp. cinnamon one teasp. nutmeg make hole in center of flour mixture and add one cup veg. oil two cups pulp two thirds cup water four eggs mix well. bake at 350 use a greased and floured bundt pan for a pretty cake. I sugar my pan in place of flour can . also add nuts raisins citrus fruits .will also make three loaf pan cakes. I use same recipe for pumpkin and zucchini bread.I think you will agree it is the best you ever ate!

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9331543

Thank you for sharing your recipe! I'm sure DG readers and my family, especially my mom, will just looooooove it!!! I usually bake and have been so busy lately everyone has been deprived of goodies. I'll have to treat everyone to Persimmon Bundt Cake :-)

Enjoy baking with Persimmons!
~Diana
martka
Laguna Hills, CA

November 15, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9334403

Thanks for article, Wind. And thanks for a recipe, Maggiemudpie. Who knows? Maybe I'll make it on Thanksgiving.:))
A persimmon is my favorite fruit. It grows in my backyard and if happened I can make it before wild birds do, I can also enjoy some. It is Fuyu, non-astringent one, and yes,it might be eaten as an apple but also, when the fruit is more ripe, you can eat it as a delicious dessert using a spoon, since persimmon becomes a pulp. I prefer Fuyu over Hachija for never being astringent and for lack of stone.

Sometimes, when birds have a mercy on me and leave me some extra fruits, I would like to bake a pie, but first I'd be sure about amount of sugar in Maggiemudpie's recipe.Should I use 3 cups of sugar or it's a mistake?
I'm not very good with baking for me it seems like a lot.
I'd be very thankful for your answer, Maggiemudpie. Thank you in advance.

Thumbnail by martka   Thumbnail by martka         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9334476

Hi Martka,

Wow, you're so lucky to have your own persimmon tree in your backyard!! Great tip on eating with a spoon when real soft. Thanks for sharing your great photos too! I hope Maggiemudpie responds to your sugar question as well. For me, I always try and use recipes with the least sugar and fat when possible. And, just fyi, there is a link at the bottom of my article to another persimmon bundt cake recipe that you may also want to check out if you haven't already.

I think it may be based on this Fuyu Persimmon Bundt cake recipe:
http://www.sdfarmbureau.org/fuyu/recipes.html

Enjoy your delicious persimmon fruits!
~Diana
maggiemudpie
Golden Gate, IL

November 16, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9334575

yes the sugar measurement is correct.It is a moist and very delicious cake or some call it bread.Also just as good using pumpkin or zucchini.Also freezes well.I make loaf size breads and freeze but they dont last long.Would love to hear if anyone likes the recipe.
martka
Laguna Hills, CA

November 16, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9334618

Thank you very much for answers. And for additional recipes.
Sometimes, during fall I use persimmons in my daily lunch salad [lettuce, tomato, avocado, some nuts or seeds, persimmon (or any other fruit), feta cheese, olive, balsamic]. Tasty and, what is more important, healthy and nutritious.

I also try to avoid excessive sugar and fat intake - I'm enough sweet and fat myself;))) - but from time to time I can forget some rules.;)))
Of course, I will let you know.
Thanks again.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Have You Tasted A Persimmon? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Persimmons wren107 2 Nov 7, 2012 4:18 AM
Never knew... womanonamission 1 Nov 12, 2012 4:47 PM
persimmons reil 1 Nov 12, 2012 4:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America