Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Zone Gardening: p.coronarium

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
myherbs
ipoh
Malaysia

November 12, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9331107

Like to share some of my Platycerium thats grown from spores. My first post here.

Thumbnail by myherbs
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 13, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9331733

Welcome, and those look really good. They look like bifurcatum. I've only ever grown from spores of superbum. Not really difficult if you look after them and keep up the humidity.
myherbs
ipoh
Malaysia

November 13, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9331809

tropicbreeze wrote:Welcome, and those look really good. They look like bifurcatum. I've only ever grown from spores of superbum. Not really difficult if you look after them and keep up the humidity.


hey tks. They are actually P.Coronarium. My superbums are the slowest growing platycerium of the lot, still only 2" diameter. I think it is bit too hot for them here.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 13, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9332373

Can you see any differences between coronarium and bifurcatum? Looking at the photos I can't pick the difference. I grew the superbum from spores further south, the climate is milder there. Although I've seen them in tree tops in Madang, PNG, (in town), and they seemed to do well. Recently I got some small plants from a friend but they're struggling here and some have died. We're in the build up season now so it probably wasn't the best time to try. I'm hoping to get a few through to the monsoon and then hopefully they'll manage. Our dry season is a killer for them. I have got a small bifurcatum that I've managed to keep for a few years and it's just only now seems to be coming good. Also recently got a small veichii and hoping it will cope better than the others in the dry.
myherbs
ipoh
Malaysia

November 13, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9332601

tropicbreeze wrote:Can you see any differences between coronarium and bifurcatum? Looking at the photos I can't pick the difference. I grew the superbum from spores further south, the climate is milder there. Although I've seen them in tree tops in Madang, PNG, (in town), and they seemed to do well. Recently I got some small plants from a friend but they're struggling here and some have died. We're in the build up season now so it probably wasn't the best time to try. I'm hoping to get a few through to the monsoon and then hopefully they'll manage. Our dry season is a killer for them. I have got a small bifurcatum that I've managed to keep for a few years and it's just only now seems to be coming good. Also recently got a small veichii and hoping it will cope better than the others in the dry.


Yes they are difficult to tell when they are young. When the fertile fronds of the coronarium grow longer then there is a big difference between coronarium and bifurcatum. The plants are about 3 years old. I'll post more pics of young platys in a new thread.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 14, 2012
1:56 AM

Post #9332720

Very interested to see more. I checked coronarium on the Platycerium site. It does look very different when it gets larger, looks fantastic really.

I'd like to get more different Platyceriums but you never see any around here other than the native ones. Some of the others are really great too.
myherbs
ipoh
Malaysia

November 14, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9332960

I'd like to get more different Platyceriums but you never see any around here other than the native ones. Some of the others are really great too.[/quote]




Check out my friend's platycerium. They are beautiful.

http://foongexotic.multiply.com/

I think the site(multiply) is shutting down on dec. 1st.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 14, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9333359

He's got some very nice plants there. Where do you get the spores from? I know coronarium is a local for you but I notice you also have elephantotis.
myherbs
ipoh
Malaysia

November 15, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9334386

tropicbreeze wrote:He's got some very nice plants there. Where do you get the spores from? I know coronarium is a local for you but I notice you also have elephantotis.


I got them from my Thai friend who grows platycerium. - fernbangkok.com

You cannot post until you register and login.


Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM


We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.
 

Hope for America