Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: overwintering

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9331165

My eggplants did not have enough time to bloom/grow this summer and a couple of tomato plants have not finished their cycle. Is is possible to root some tomato stems or grow the eggplant indoors for planting in the spring?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9336329

tomatoes, you can, but easier to repurchase than baby thru the winter, eggplant, ummmm, don't think I would try that. They cant be put out til soil temps hit 50* to set fruits...many take cuttings from spring tomatoes to grow for the fall garden, they have to wait so long for spring you may lose them...

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

November 18, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9336373

Hi, dun1kirk,

I've had a different experience with your plant situation. My tomatoes all got hit with an early frost, so I dug them up and put them in pots, took off all the frost-bitten leaves, and put them in the new greenhouse that was still under construction. They survived and are putting on fruit like crazy, with nights, so far as low as -1 degrees. I have eggplant starts in my little bookcase greenhouse (a bookcase on each side with a piece of plywood resting on 2x4 boards spanning from each bookcase shelf. Above the plants is another 2x4 with a 4-foot grow light attached. It's in the living room, where temperatures are fine for plants, in front of a window which also helps to warm it. There's a sheet thrown over the top to help keep in heat and humidity. Works great. I just set out some Brandywine tomatoes into bigger pots today from the little 'bookcase greenhouse'. Any plant that's living is worth trying to save, in my opinion.By the way, I grew them all from seed. Where there's a will, there's a way, and fresh vegetables are worth the effort (watering two or three times a week). With a little effort up-front transplanting, I'll save money all winter on tomatoes and other vegetables that I could keep inside the house by raising the board that holds the light as they grow. Not only that, I'm already harvesting yellow pear tomatoes and lettuce with extraordinary flavor not usually found in grocery stores. Not to mention, they're organic. I have a watermelon, some anaheim chiles, eggplant, and tomatoes growing in the house and they look pretty happy.
1. Indian corn popcorn starts, in the bookcase greenhouse
2. pear tomatoes and brussel sprout starts in the b/g
3. Moon and Stars watermelons (with moons and stars on the leaves!)
4. Another shot of the bookcase greenhouse. I used lattice under the sheet to keep kitty out. He's an opportunist, obviously. :)

It's not hard taking care of the plants, this way. When they're young, I use a two-liter soda bottle and water once or twice a day, depending on how damp the soil feels. No problemo.

Thumbnail by Solace   Thumbnail by Solace   Thumbnail by Solace   Thumbnail by Solace   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mraider3
Helena, MT

November 24, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9341065

dun1kirk, I have never grown egg plant, however it is on my list for next season. In reading about growing egg plant I came across a suggestion for placing a few egg plants in your sprawled tomato rows which I was planning on trying. Plus, I came across another suggestion for ripening late season tomatoes by hanging the plants much like pepper plants. I am building a place in my shed for hanging pepper plants, tomato plants and my dried beans which are still not fully ripened So why not hang egg plants??? They are the same family as tomatoes...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America