Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.
Thank you melody for the new thread. Could you please connect this thread to the previous one? Post this link to the previous thread, that's would be much appreciated. As Fall is officially here, I've cleaned out last year nest boxes, and set out new ones. It's apparent to me that most of the White-breasted Nuthatches have left the garden but just a pair remained, every now and then, I noticed one of the two will stop by their own nest box as if it was inspecting it. Here is one regularly came by the grain feeder.
Although nesting season isn't quite here yet. I'm so looking forward to that time of year! Last year was my very first year experiencing with hosting Eastern Blue Bird's. This year, I've added another nest box. Blue Birds have been seen frequenting the nest box and guarding their territory. I just now saw (probably a BB) bird chasing after a squirrel. The sight is hilarious!
Mallards too are pairing up, these mild manner birds are a joy to watch especially during nesting season. I'll post more photos as the season progresses.
Today there were a bust of activity at the backyard's nest boxes;
1. White-breasted Nuthatch is seen checking its 'own house' while the neighboring Eastern Blues are working on theirs.
2. The commotions was triggered by meal time as I set out mealies treat out to the feeders. I was delighted to see Pine warbler, Cardinals, Mockingbirds as well as other songbirds enjoy the treat. There are plenty for all. ^^
3. Mamma Eastern Blue was seen entering the nest box, while her mate guarding outside.
4. There are two pair of Blue Birds; oh oh, competion! Who will win out?
5. Not to worry; there are other nest boxes in the garden as these pair of BBs have discovered them. This is the 3rd nest box that I've seen BBs actively checking 'em out this year by far.
This early morning I was delighted to have seen birds activity in the garden. Blue birds, White-breasted Nuthatches, Chickadees seem to be busy checking out potential nesting sites. I'll share more photos on the new thread.