Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Cucumber plants wilting

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Hello, everyone. I am very discouraged with my cucumber plants. First off, I'm in North FL, zone 8b.
My cucumber vines were doing great, then the bottom leaves started yellowing and dying. I attributed this to being in the shade of the top leaves. They continued to grow and produced lots of male flowers. Well, now the majority of my vines are wilted and flowers are shriveled up.
This morning I discovered 2 tiny little cukes on a good vine. I took a picture of it. Just about 5 hours later, I went to check again and now that plant is wilted! In just a matter of HOURS! I took another picture so you can see the difference.
I took out a bunch of bad looking vines and watered the rest.
Is there any hope for these little cukes?

Thumbnail by kw_lakecity Thumbnail by kw_lakecity
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

The first thing that pops into my mind is Spider Mites or Root Knot Nematodes. Do you see any webbing or are they planted in sandy soil?

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

I checked for bugs very closely and only found 2 green worms, which I got rid of. No webbing present and they are planted in miracle gro soil. I just can't understand how the whole plant wilted in a matter of hours. It wasn't from the sun because it was overcast today. I hope I can report better news tomorrow.

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, I think all the cucumber plants are a bust. The cuke pictured now has a hole chewed in it. Ugh..so frustrating.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 8a)

Are they in a container?

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

No, I have a small 4' by 4' garden plot out back. Hoping to expand next year.

Delhi, LA

Look at the plant at soil level and see if you have a small hole bored into the plant. I have lost some over the years to bores. To check for nematode damage, pull up one of the plants and see it there nodules on the roots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.