Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: Hawk in front yard

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8a)

I saw this Hawk in our front yard this morning. I've noticed over the past few weeks that the birds at my feeders have been dwindling in number, I think this is the reason. Can someone help me identify this from this poor photo. I was in a hurry as it was time to leave for work at the same time as my wife saw it feeding on a Dove. Possibly I can get a better picture tomorrow if it's around.

Chris

Thumbnail by chris1948
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Cooper's Hawk

Resin

Thanks Resin, before I close the thread, is this an adult or a young one? Also, would it be normal to see more than one in a tree?

Chris

Looks like an immature. Unusual, but not impossible, to get two in a tree at this time of year; typically this late in the year they are fully independent of their parents and each other. Perhaps most likely two siblings.

Resin

Just one more question, in the attached photo are these Coopers Hawks or something else? They were pretty far up in a tree in our back yard and there was actually a total of about 6 in the tree. They appear too large for Doves or Pigeons but I could be wrong.

Thumbnail by chris1948
Concord, NH

shes right there cooper hawks the other are just young ones

So, I've got a yard full of hawks, what do I do about my bird feeders? Take them down to see if the hawks will leave if no food is around? I guess they picked me because of the abundant food source?

(Zone 5a)

If Cooper's are hanging out there day after day, I would for sure stop feeding the birds for a time. They will find other food sources. We've had Cooper's come pretty regularly in the winter months, but not every day or even every week, so we always left them up. It's hard to stop as we have when we saw sick birds. You see the birds looking around wondering, "What happened?" But they probably already have another place they visit and will get what they need.

Looks like White-winged Doves in the tree. Def not hawks!

Resin

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Ditto to White-winged Doves

Thanks, I'll close the thread now as the hawk has been identified. Appreciate all the replies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.