Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Texas Gardening: Anyone growing bananas?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cr0ak
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9331694

Was back by my veggie garden the other day, looked up, and saw this. Looks like I'm gonna have some bananas - IF the plant doesn't get frozen out this winter. I've been trying to do some research on just how long it takes for bananas to mature (not ripen), and I'm discovering it depends upon the variety. This one, as I recall, is called Vanilla Ice. But I can't find any info on this particular variety.

I'm really surprised that it's going to produce, since we had those freezing temps way back when (although I did wrap the plant with some heavy blankets and also covered it - when it was only about 6' tall at the time). Don't know what I'm going to do if we get below freezing weather before the 'naners mature.

Anyone else growing bananas in south/southeast Texas?

Oh... and I discovered that they only produce once, then they die. I guess that's a good thing because I've been chopping the suckers out because there's so little room for more "trees" to grow. (The plant is off to the left inside the half-moon garden - by the galvanized container.)
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 8, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9352918

I did.. I have few kinds here and my Blue Java banana finally ripen enough for my hubby to taste them..he says: that taste like banana pudding..lol..
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9354267

I grow some for the tropical effect only though. Would not get big enough to mature and fruit. I dig mine up, wrap the root base in newspaper and store for the winter, then replant in the spring.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 21, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9363789

I have a 'Little Prince ".
Krispi
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9366020

I had a banana tree in Houston, that produced bananas one winter when we had had a mild winter the year before. It took the entire year for them to grow, By November, we cut the stalk and placed it in a black garbage for a couple of days, took it to the deer lease during hunting season. The bananas turned yellow, were short, about 4" and pink inside, very sweet. My neighbor had brought some banana plants from Columbia, and shared some with me. One thing I also learned, was the trees and stalks repel fleas in your yard. I lost my trees to the freeze in the 80's. I have tried to grow them here in Canyon Lake, but so far they have not made it, due to the freezes, especially if the temperature dropes below freezing fore several days.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America