-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9331818

I can't believe nobody's started a thread for what we are cooking for Thanksgiving dinner. Here's the thread. Let's post our menue's and recipes here. I need some thoughts on something sweet this year. We're going traditional. with the Turkey, dressing, mash potatoes, sweet potatoe cassarole, ect.

Nothing special here lol
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9332483

Spicy Rosemary Nuts
Stilton Cheese Dip with Crudites and Lavash Crackers

Roasted Fresh Turkey with Herbed Crouton Stuffing (H&F bread) http://hfbreadco.com/
Hot Smoked Hickory Salmon with Honey Whole Grain Mustard. House made.
Corn Bread Dressing with Fresh Roasted Corn, Roasted Red Peppers, Vidalia Onions and Chipotle Chilies.
Baked Korean Sweet Potato Wedges served with butter and brown sugar.
Cranberries and Apples in Orange Juice and Zest
Iron Skillet Pole Beans & Slow Roasted Garden Tomatoes with Garlic.

Fresh Fall Apple Pie
Fresh Georgia Pecan pie
Homemade Long Pie Pumpkin (from our garden) & Ginger Pie
Fresh Whipped cream
Almond Bark

Teas, Waters, Rose & Cava with dinner. Cognac with desserts

No time to share recipes. I'm taking this on the road.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9333464

Can I come? sounds divine!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9333797

Laurel, sounds wonderful!

We do traditional here too
hubby is smoking the turkey again this year, so good!!!
mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, green been casserole, corn bread casserole, (another veggie, deciding between cauliflower or carrots)
cranberry sauce, stuffing(of course!!!)
apple pie and pumpkin pie

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9334093

Fried Turkey (hot & spicy)
Baked Honey Glazed Ham
Dirty Rice
Oyster Dressing (this & cranberry sauce can keep me happy from Nov. to New Year's)
Mac & Cheese
Green Bean Casserole
Mixed Greens (mustards/collards/spinach/turnips)

Cranberry/Orange Relish (tried it from last year's thread -- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!)
Cranberry Jello (for the kids)

Buttermilk pie
Lemon Meringue Pie
Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Sour Cream Filling

Got a 5-gallon bucket of LARGE pecans, and a large Kitty Litter bucket of SMALL pecans. Might try Bubba's Glazed Pecans or Drunken Nuts Recipe this year (from last year's thread)...

Hugs!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9334148

Sounds like there are several Thanksgiving options to chose from, Kathy_Ann. Are you looking for a sweet dessert or something sweet added to the main menu? Aren't pecans a crop in Arkansas as well as south GA? Have you made a chocolate pecan pie? There are a bunch of online recipes. Here's an easy pie from your home state. http://www.katv.com/story/15722851/butternut-squash-pie-10192011 If you expect kids at your TG, bar cookies or brownies are good to add to the sweet list.

Jen, we have a wood fired oven and smoke meats for dishes during the year. We love smoked turkey. On the cauliflower and carrots; you can pan saute the carrots to just crunchy and hold them for up to a week, then add them to the cauliflower at the last minute to heat. Best of both. I sometimes do medleys of many veggies displayed on a large platter and serve at room temperature.

Linda, dirty rice and greens alone can keep us going through the New Year. My mom always made fresh key lime and lemon meringue pies for Thanksgiving. Her meringue was glorious. Citrus was in season during Thanksgiving in south Florida.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 15, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9334173

Two new babies and a terrible family tragedy = Very simple Thankgiving.
Roasted turkey with mushroom stuffing (sauteed: mushrooms, sweet onions, sweet red pepper, bread, egg, celery, cheese, and seasoning)
Sweet potato and mashed banana casserole
Mashed potato and gravy
Mashed brussels dill and bacon. ( crazy family likes brussels finely chopped / mashed )
Corn
Deviled eggs ( kids would have a fit if no deviled eggs on table just like the corn has to be GREEN GIANT BOIL IN BAG WITH BUTTER SAUCE -- we have come a long way in culinary skills but they want that corn! )
Fresh cranberries
Eggplant parm - this is not definite as some want baked ziti and I am not doing both
Roasted chestnuts
Rolls
No word on dessert (s) yet but will pick up a box of chocolates and someone will bring a cheese cake
Fruit

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9334228

Missingrosie, a happy welcome to your family's new babies and sorry to hear you are celebrating a holiday while grieving a loss. My condolences.

Just a curious comment here but I've always wondered how many starches can be presented at one TG? This must be based on a version of pot luck TG where everyone brought a dish and there were large numbers to be fed. But today a single cook is expected to make multiple dressings, potatoes, mac & cheese, and pastas. Wow! I've had invited guests tell me that they always have a certain starch at the TG meal. I tell them they can bring it. For instance, potatoes were never at our TG table and I don't make them for the holiday. Love them but with two dressings and the rest, including crusty desserts, don't see the need for more.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9334239

I think we're overdoing the starches this thanksgiving for sure.

We're having turkey, dressing, mash potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoe casserole, macaroni and cheese, not your traditional green bean casserole, maybe one other veggie, not sure yet. also having pumpkin pie and pecan pie bars. I suppose that will be all for us, except the home made yeast rolls.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 15, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9334253

14 siblings = lots of tastes and each has favorite carb or two. Thankfully not all at the same table as years go by...but sibs tend to want to serve 'little brother johnny's favorite' and over the years the food traditions are formed -- and lots are carbs! But the save is that even tho presented, not everyone eats everything! It is a holiday of excess for sure.
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9337440

Sadly, my nephew and his family moved to Boston this summer, so we won't see them until Xmas. My sister flew in yesterday to share Thanksgiving with them. So it's just five of us, plus three friends who were invited to share. My family loves to cook and we do a potluck at all events. T-day tends to be fairly traditional for us...we go wild and creative at any other time!

We make lots of vegetables, as two people are vegetarians.

Homemade sushi
Goat cheese & red pepper mini-quiches
Artichoke heart appetizer
Mushroom soup
Traditional roast and brined turkey with gravy
Rye/whole wheat dressing (vegetarian)
Cranberry sauce: canned, homemade chunky, and homemade sugar free
Slow-roasted mixed veggies
Mashed potatoes
Lemon cheesecake
Sugar-free pumpkin pie custard
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 19, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9337456

Sounds wonderful . Mushroom soup...hmmmm...Great idea.

Ok don't gag - the cranberry sauce...got a wild hair. Started the usual way with fresh berries and used a great apple cider as the liquid...but I wanted a little heat so I added some homemade hot pepper jelly --- sweet and hot, local honey, and then I stirred in some cream cheese. Tastes great! But, it looks a litthe wierd color-wise.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9337873

Traditional Thanksgiving dinner here, brined and butterflied turkey, ham, all the fixins. Desserts are pecan pies and pumpkin cheesecake.
Thought of changing it all up this year, then realized it has become the expected, even in my mind. Blessed with having family here for the weekend so it's become my favorite holiday.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 20, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9338593

Ok I did it - I made mushroom soup today and added to it pureed sweet red pepper. It was good. Bet that cream went straight to my hips!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9338823

I love homemade mushroom soup!

My TG dinner will be lower carb than most years, although that's not saying much. My sis needs the carbs as she's grossly underweight, but I sure don't!

Roast Duck au jus
cranberry-orange savory (homemade, low sugar)
Broccoli with lemon butter
Baked sweet potatoes
mock waldorf salad
pumpkin custard (low sugar)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9338866

Oh, Darius, I envy you your duck! I just bought one at the supermarket because they had two dollars off a Maple Leaf Farms whole duck, but it's not for Thanksgiving. We're having

Amuses Bouches – Brie en Croûte, Garlic Olives, Carrots

Creamy Chestnut Soup

Kosher Turkey (actually regular turkey, because the supermarket didn't have kosher this year, but it's brining as we speak)
Lemon-Peach Gelatin Mold
Cranberries with Port
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Warm Cider
Vinaigrette
Chestnut and Cranberry Stuffing
Salad, Mixed Spring Greens and Avocado

Pumpkin Pie
Berry Pie

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9338922

We have a pie shop here called "The Flying Pie". There were over 200 people in line when they opened at 7 am. Most started lining up last night, and say they que up more as a holiday tradition than anything else, because the place doesn't usually sell out before closing at 7pm. They're fired up all day long, making pies that range from $10.50-$12.50.

Best seller is a Strawberry pie. Whole strawberries with a whipped creme topping.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9338969

mmmm, pie...I like pie...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9339037

All TG dinners sound sooo good.

here in Sarasota we have two menonite Restaurans and bakeries. Their speciality is peanut butter pie but many others. People come from all over, know someone from Tampa area, she picks up as many as 20 for neighbors and such. Unbeliveable busy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America