Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cacti and Succulents: succulents under lightts

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 15, Views: 217
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

November 13, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9331852

Just wondering if it would be ok. There is more room in the basement where I over winter the geraniums under lights. It stays between 50 and 55 degrees there in the winter. What do you think?
GeminisGreen
Central Coast, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9332088

Hi, I've grown some succulents under lights when I lived in Montana. They did get a little lanky, but for the most part they lived! I guess it depends on what type of succulents you're talking about. I grew Jade cuttings, sempervivum and sedum under lights. Those 3 are kind of hard to kill. Good luck!

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 13, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9332417

I've never grown succulents under lights and my indoor experience is limited, but I wouldn't expect much growth if the temperature doesn't get above that range during the day. Our typical winter daily low is about 50 degrees (which poses no problems for any of the plants I grow) but during the daytime it does warm up a bit (to about room temp).

I would imagine you could make it work as long as you are careful not to overwater, because your plants will probably take the opportunity for a nap. Some succulents are more active during the winter (like Aeoniums for example) and those will probably not do as well in the basement. Just a guess.
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

November 13, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9332459

Guess I'll give it a try, with some at least. Even in a sunny window here in Mn. they get lanky and most seem to rest during the winter. At least they'll be growing up not slanted towards the light. Thanks for the help.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 13, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9332643

This is my second year keeping succulents under a grow light in the basement. So far so good. There are some annoying little flying insects that seems to part of the deal but I haven't noticed anything causing damage. They do better under the light than straining in even a sunny window upstairs. My lithop bloomed earlier and others are blooming now. It keeps the succulents compact.
Its cool downstairs but not 50. More like 65.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9332701

I have been growing my succulents under lights during the winter for several years. I have mostly haworthias and assorted ascleps as well as some euphorbias a handful of misc. plants. I use 4 foot shop lights with regular tubes. I arrange my plants by height on each shelf and place the lights very close to the top of the plants to prevent etoliation which works quite well.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9332883

I also have numerous succulents under lights in my laundry room. The temp is about 65 degrees, but I think yours will do fine. As plexippus says, put the lights as close as you can to the plants. I have the little fruit flies also Helen. They are just a nuisance.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9338098

Where would I be without lights? I only use T5 HO fixtures. 6500K bulbs. HTGarden supply is one good source - they have a store on eBay as well. HydroFarm has excellent fixtures. Very efficient, less heat. Cool to the touch bulbs means you can get the plant as close as you like to the source. Since light falls off as the square of the distance, a leaf 3" away from the lamp is only getting 1/8th the light as a leaf 1" away. I have some identical succulents in windows as I do under lights and the most healthy ones are under lights this time of the year. No etiolation here.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2012 2:28 PM

This message was edited Nov 20, 2012 2:53 PM

Thumbnail by gasrocks   Thumbnail by gasrocks   Thumbnail by gasrocks   Thumbnail by gasrocks   Thumbnail by gasrocks
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9338102

All of my larger cactus and some succulents are in cold storage for the winter = dormant in rooms 45-50 F. But for the smaller ones, and the ones I want to see daily, lights work very well indeed. I do have more than what I just took pix of but I think you can get the idea. I am up to a total of 20 light fixtures.

Thumbnail by gasrocks   Thumbnail by gasrocks   Thumbnail by gasrocks      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 20, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9338110

Wow, thats a lot of lights gasrocks! And plants. Do you take them outside in the summer?
You are a dedicated collector. It must take quite awhile to water plants under 20 lights. I admire your diligence. ^_^
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9338115

About 90% get a summer vacation outdoors. Roughly 1200 house plants as of this week. 48 known species of Aloe, 39 Agave, 50 Sanseveria, 31 Haworthia, 24 Gasteria, 8 GasterAloe.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2012 2:29 PM
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

November 20, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9338449

gasrocks, you spoke of cold storage. Can you explain exactly how you do that. Cool temps of course, no water? No light? Some light?
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2012
12:49 AM

Post #9338789

2 extra bedrooms, NE corner of the house, closed doors, heat and A/C off (vents taped over.) Temp stays from 45-55F during the winter. All my large cactus and some succulents are in there, dormant. Agave, Pony Tail Palms, Brown Turkey Fig. Light does not matter. They get a little water once a month or so. Temp keeps them dormant, they do not try to grow. Outside for the summer. No etiolation. Great way to have beautiful plants without a greenhouse. Been doing this for 14 (?) years. The light fixtures are a much newer idea.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2012 2:51 AM
cactusloverlady
Menasha, WI

November 21, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9339284

As I've said in earlier conversations I admire your dedication. Everything looks well cared for and healthy. Plant collecting is a great hobby and your passion for it is obvious. Have a great Thanksgiving and keep in touch. Diane

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9340144

Are most of those lights in your basement? That would be a big job to move them all out for the summer! They sure look healthy now! I just have to ask what that tin can is doing in the last photo.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9340215

I have no basement, only one small south window. Wonderful thing about having all the lights is I now use space/rooms I never used before. So healthy to be able to sit and enjoy all the "stray" light on a gloomy winter's day.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America