Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Canning, Freezing and Drying: floating fruit

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 2, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 13, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9331908

I made some pepper jelly yesterday and the little chunks of pepper all floated to the top of the jar. I know there must be a solution to keep the pieces suspended more evenly in the jelly. Can anyone help? I have lots more peppers and would like to try again.
Also I used a Paula Dean recipe that called for cider vinegar and not much pepper. (1cup chopped pepper to 6 c. sugar) It tastes more like vinegar than pepper although the jalapeńos give it a bit of a kick. Is that how it usually tastes or is there a more flavorful recipe out there that someone could help me with?
I am not a regular to this forum. Forgive me is these are already well hashed over topics.
Thanks.
Helen
fleuriste
Marciac
France
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9348790

Hi! I can't help you on the recipe versions but the floating thing is easy to solve! Don't put the finished jelly straight into the jars, wait a while as the jelly will start to thicken and the peices will not be able to float through the thicker jelly. It is exactly the same as when making Strawberry jam or Marmalade. Both of those will suffer from the floating problem if put into the jars as soon as setting point is reached. How long you wait is a bit tricky - it really is down to trial and error. My first marmalade was like hacking through a straw bundle before getting to a rindless interior *grin* I hope that helps a bit.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9348808

This is going back 35 years but I think my mother just turned the jars upside down when the fruit started to float. By the time it got back to the other end the jam had cooled enough to stop it from moving further. She also "canned" jelly by pouring molten wax on the top.

I know if we had a jar that didn't seal that was put in the frig and eaten.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America