AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9332031

Are there DG members forcing bulbs such hyacynch, crocuses, paperwhites ect. for the Holidays? If so please join in. Everyone is welcome.

Here is what I've thus far. Paperwhites bulbs on rocks and water only; soiless container growing/forcing methods. I've started out with 8 bulbs; devided into two batches, then stagger them out for successive blooms. First batch was initiated last week, by goly! One of the bulbs is taking off and I could see a little bud is being formed. So I initiated the second batch today. These are fun projects to do. You can see the root system being formed in matter of days. Then the green leafy growth, and in no time; flowers!

Let's see yours. If you haven't explored growing/forcing bulbs before, and you're curious and interested. Your questions are welcome.

1. For bright light; I placed the bowls in my kitchen window with supplemental light. I learned in the past. If I didn't give these enough lighting, they tend to be leggy and the flower stalks will be weak, and flop over easily. So give your bulbs as much light as you can. ^:-)^

2. Same setting without light just to see the contrast.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click an image for an enlarged view.

This thread has 54 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Bulbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing Tuberose in CA SteveK 2 Aug 27, 2007 3:24 AM
hyacinth bulbs debi_z 12 Oct 31, 2007 11:48 AM
Supplier for caldium bulbs Bulk??? plantsdirect 10 Dec 28, 2010 9:42 AM
what are these and why don't they bloom? woodspirit1 24 Jun 25, 2009 7:40 PM
gardeners......... help!!!! stephanie_74 12 Jul 7, 2011 5:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America