Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Why do trees reject their leaves in the autumn?: A different idea.

Communities > Forums > Article: Why do trees reject their leaves in the autumn?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Why do trees reject their leaves in the autumn?Replies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KnuttNHoney
Seattle, WA

November 13, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9332032

It seems to me that a very important element in the falling leaf scenario might be the physical protection of the tree. Since most plants in a cold or temperate climate go into dormancy when the cold dry air develops it would seem that that would prevent transpiration. I have a number of plants that when they go dormant do not loose their leaves but don't seem to suffer from drying out. It seems to me that most deciduous trees loose their leaves to protect against the damage done by snow fall. For example I have two magnolias, one looses its leaves each winter and the other doesn't. Every year the one that doesn't loose it's leaves looses several major branches from snow; the other, none. However, neither suffers from the dry cold weather. The Magnolia Grande Flora is a more tropical plant (what I have) so it developed in a climate where snow is not an issue, therefore, it doesn't need to drop it's leaves. Any thoughts?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9332092

I have never had a magnolia, but I know they occupy a unique place in evolution. Bear in mind also that your two specimens are hybrids (as our most of our garden plants) and don't, sadly, tell us much about evolution.

Thank you for your fascinating comment! (Anything that sends me back to my primary sources for more information is interesting.)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Why do trees reject their leaves in the autumn? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Marvelous! abbeyrooney 1 Nov 12, 2012 6:49 AM
leaf mania reil 1 Nov 12, 2012 10:15 AM
Yay! Finally!.......and a question, too. SoooSirius 4 Nov 12, 2012 3:44 PM
leaves. odingod 1 Nov 12, 2012 12:27 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America