Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cacti and Succulents: My Aeonium

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 11, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GeminisGreen
Central Coast, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9332082

Just wanted to share this photo that I took this morning...this is the first time I've lived in a place where I can keep my babies outside during "winter". 50-65 F is a pretty sweet winter :-)

This pot was planted in June with 4 single-stemmed schwarzkopf aeonium with a few other succulents...and it has exploded!

I'm loving this coastal weather so far.

Thumbnail by GeminisGreen   Thumbnail by GeminisGreen
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 13, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9332266

Lovely plant, nice highlights. The Aeoniums are really waking up this time of year. That's not a Zwartkop (original name is Dutch) because it's not purple, but it's certainly no less attractive in the glow of the light.
48flash
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 13, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9332350

That,s a nice looking plant. I really like aeoniums but here they turn to mush in the desert heat so I have to raise them as annuals. The same is true for echeverias which are also a favorite of mine.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9332391

GG, those are lovely. I am just beginning to learn about aeoniums and love yours!!
GeminisGreen
Central Coast, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 14, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9332974

Thanks everybody! I love aeoniums, plantsforpeg- they're addicting! 48Flash: WOW! Mine used to turn to mush in Montana, lol. I would definitely turn to mush, melt or something if I lived in AZ, haha. Whew! Never felt heat like that in my life, had to drive through in July one year.

Baja: YAY! You seem to know alot!! I hope you can help me figure out the color issue. See, they *were* all dark purple when I planted them and stayed purple until they began to grow so much. The rosettes were tight and flat until about August and then they just sort of "poofed" out, having babies :-) It's weird because they seem to be getting the right light, but all of my Z's have lost their color since I've moved to Cali. Hmm. These photos might show the color as a maroon on some of the older rosettes, but I don't get it. I lived in Montana until this summer and my Z's were always a dark *black* with just a hint of purple until I put them out in the summer, but as soon as I'd bring them back inside around September, they'd darken back up. They don't even look like the same plants anymore, seriously. Do you think it's because they're getting so much sun? That's confusing to me as well because I thought the sun brought out the coloring in most succulents. If they're not Z's, what do you think they are? I wonder if it's a cross with atropurpureum?

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 14, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9333057

Quite possibly. But there are so many different varieties and hybrids that I would not know where to start. The color has to do with season and light and it can vary a lot. Summer time is sleepy time for Aeoniums and then they come back with a big spurt in the fall, which is what you're describing.

The purple and red Aeoniums tend to be a greener color in the shade. This is something you can experiment with by moving the plant around to different exposures. If you want strong color, put the plant in full sun. The leaves at the center of the rosette also tend to be a greener color than the ones at the edges. Some varieties are more consistently colored (eg. Zwartkop) but even these often have green highlights at the center of the rosette when they're actively growing.

First two shots show Aeonium "Cyclops". In full sun in the summer it's purple and flat (first picture). I cut a head and restarted it in mostly shade and you can see there's a little purple left over from before but it's mostly green (second pic). Third picture shows all the green you'll ever see on a truly purple plant growing in full sun. Last two pictures show a reddish Aeonium that I restarted a couple of months ago, first in all shade and second in mostly shade with a bit of sun. Again, on the really green plant you can see the residual color at the end of the leaves showing what it looked like in full sun.

If you want to really explore Aeoniums in detail, there's a great book by Rudolf Schulz.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

GeminisGreen
Central Coast, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 14, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9333291

Thanks so much for all the helpful info! I guess since I live almost literally on the coast (1-2 miles from the shore), the gloomy sea mist might have a lot to do with it. When I thought about it, I realized that they're actually not getting as much sun as they would like. I'm definitely going to move them now that we seem to be out of "fog" season.

That book looks interesting, I'm going to check it out!

I've attached a photo of one of the rosettes next to my hand for size comparison. I'm 5'10 and have long hands, these are definitely larger than I've ever had anywhere else I've lived. Thanks again, you were a great help :-)

Thumbnail by GeminisGreen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 15, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9334014

We are about 200 yards from the Pacific here. Aeoniums really thrive in our mild coastal climate. All that moisture in the air, no temperature extremes. You get considerably more rain than we do, but we share the same general pattern (dry summer/wet winter). Not too far from the climate in their habitat, actually.

More pictures here for kicks, since we had good light today. First two are "self-shading" plants with a green center. Third picture is a green (only) plant. Last two pictures are front and back sides of a plant which faces NE (the color difference is mostly due to the relative exposure).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

November 15, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9334301

There is an Echeveria native to TX. I keep threatening to find and order one but so far haven't. I see it on the Mesa Garden list but find it unlikely they actually have any. I do love both genera but sadly they do not love me here.
C
GeminisGreen
Central Coast, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 15, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9334423

Baja- I love the photos, they're beautiful, happy plants! This is the first time that I've been able to grow my succulents outdoors during fall/winter and they're amazing! I am hooked :-) I would think your temps get too high for aeoniums, but I guess being so close to the water helps keep the heat down? I'm having a hard time with the watering thing...in MT, it was almost *too* dry and I had to water a lot. Here, I haven't really watered more than once a month all summer and I think I'm going to have to go even longer now in between watering. I've already overwatered quite a few semps and some echeveria cuttings. They're done, I rotted them. Lesson learned, I have to stop myself from watering.

Newtons- I read that there's a "native" echeveria that grows here on the coastal dunes. I've tried looking, but the area in which I live is protected and some places aren't accessible. I'm still looking tho! When I lived in TX, I saw a lot of crazy looking agave-types growing wild. I snatched a few and kept them going in pots for a few years but they were confiscated with a bunch of other plants when the USDA robbed me, lol. They were really cool looking :-( good luck on your search!
GeminisGreen
Central Coast, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 15, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9334424

USDA theft refers to the agricultural checkpoints when you enter California. When they saw my 30 ft boat, 42 ft RV and tow vehicle packed with over 100 plants, they sounded alarms. I held up the lane for almost an hour because we picked up an ant or two in Vegas. I remembered worrying that it might be an issue- I had to roll down windows while we were parked there ( during my move) because it was so hot. "Welcome to California Ma'am, hand over your favorite plants"...so sad, but I understand how important it is.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 16, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9335196

C- The Echeveria that's native to Texas is reputed to be difficult, though maybe it isn't if you're growing it in the right part of Texas. :) The Echeverias do work pretty well as house plants by a bright window, if that option is available to you.

GG- The "native" coastal Echeveria you're talking about on the central coast is probably a Dudleya. Similar looking rosette succulent but separate genus. Some of my favorite plants, also somewhat summer dormant. A considerable variety can be found in nurseries grown from seed.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America