Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Some kind of palm?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
peppermintplant
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 13, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9332156

I woke up this morning to find my cat gnawing on the leaves of this. After talking to my vet and examining the ASPCA guide to toxic plants, I think she's probably OK, but I still want to know what it is, just in case. I've had it for about 8 years and have lost the tag that came with it. I'm thinking it's a kentia or cat palm, maybe?

It's about a foot and a half tall, but was maybe six inches when I got it. The leaves are quite a bit greener than they look in the (sideways) photo (sorry, my cellphone takes terrible pics) and new leaf/frond things look like spears for a week or two, then unfold. It likes wet soil. I'm in NorCal near Sacramento, and it seems to do alright during the winter even though I have no heat, although it does seem pretty dormant during the cold. I can take more photos if they're needed.

Also, while I'm here, I had to put it outside for about a week while my building was fumigated in August and the heat and sun almost killed it (or at least, not being acclimated to them did). It was in pretty bad shape for a while. It's starting to bounce back, but is there anything I can do to help it recover faster?

Thumbnail by peppermintplant   Thumbnail by peppermintplant
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9332173

It looks like what I use to know as Neanthe bella Palm. I think it is now Chamaedorea elegans? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

The change in environment, I'm sure could cause it to take a turn for the worse, but returning to the prior environment and conditions should allow it to 'bounce back' with out permanent damage. In my experience they do not like to dry out completely, or very bright light. They do very well in med. to low light conditions.
Good luck with it. :-)
peppermintplant
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 13, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9332179

That name actually sounds super familiar, and since this is the only palm-type plant I've ever owned, that may be it. :) Thank you!

And they're non-toxic to cats! I'll still be moving it somewhere she can't reach it, though, lol.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9332184

Glad to help, and Welcome to DG!
peppermintplant
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 13, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9332187

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America