Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: NOVEMBER What are you working on Part 2?

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 247, Views: 1,465
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9332241

We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286483/#new

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 13, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9332269

I'm first!! yaaaaaaaaaaaay
Betty - I KNOW what you meant, but I chose to agree with your "unedited" comment, cuz Everything you do is "top of the line"!!! :-)

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 13, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9332281

I'll post this in the proper area too but thought I'd put it here too.

Does anyone have a use for muslin scraps? There are about 30 pieces, 25" to 36" long the width varies but the least is 14".

I just finished cutting out the inner bags for bean bag chairs for most of the kids. I always keep a bit of muslin on hand but I know I'll never use this much.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 13, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9332291

I could always use muslin scraps...
btw - I went to the "want/have something" thread, and it brought me to the "edit post" screen

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 13, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9332296

I fixed it Susan. Okie Dokie if you want them I'll send them on to you. I'll have polar fleece scraps too as soon as I get the outer bean bags cut out if you can use them. I can let you know later on the sizes but they are all kids prints.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 13, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9332335

kewl on the kids' polar fleece! I can make more quilt blankies for the church "cry room" at the back of our sanctuary! I made 2 before, but didn't have much in the way of kiddie prints.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 13, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9332345

I won't know for a couple days just what sizes I will have in the polar fleece until I get them cut out. I don't know if I can cut tomorrow. I cut 10 bag liners of the muslin today and my hands are really angry with me.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 13, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9332354

oh oh oh... don't want to overdo, Karen! Use some aloe vera type of hand cream... make your hands feel better, I'm sure.
I always soak them for a few minutes in warm'ish water so get them more receptive, then use the hand cream...
It doesn't matter about the sizes of the polar fleece - I cut them into 4" squares (approx) and just join them all together. I have some polar fleece I found in my "stash" yesterday. They have all kinds of tonal values, some dark some light, and I'll just put them all together.
btw - I used to think I couldn't sew polar fleece on my machine cuz it would "fuzz up" the machine and stop it working. I've been told on one of the DG threads that this isn't so... that I should be able to sew it on the machine (good thing, cuz hand sewing took forever!).

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9332423

Momma's quilt is sitting at her post office, waiting for pick up...I sure hope she goes to check her mail tomorrow...if you look really hard you can see the quilted flowers

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9332425

this is the quilt design I am doing with the strips from the strip swap. I did black and whites, red, pinks

Thumbnail by barefootT
Click the image for an enlarged view.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9332429

got my little sunflower hanging up, to go with plate Momma made...look at the cute little cup I found at the habitat store :-)

Thumbnail by barefootT

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9332460

Love Momma's quilt!! that black background with those colors... wow. Those are the similar colors I was going to use on the tumbling block for my niece, but decided to make one for me instead. Her red, blue and yellow quilt suited her much better, I think.
Thunder, you're really going at it! I'm still plugging along on this baby quilt..LOL

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 13, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9332470

Such a beautiful quilt for your momma, Thunder! I'm a fan of black contrast, too!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9332495

well I don't know as if Momma's quilt counts as plugging along...it took about 8 years to do it!!! she showed me a picture one day and said could I make this?? I could not find a pattern, so I made up my own... I did all of the quilting by hand, worked on it here and there...took about two hours to quilt one large flower, there were large and smaller ones...to many to count...
she just moved, and I wanted to get it to her for use in her new home. My sister said it is a lovely shade of blue, and she thinks the quilt will look really good in there.
her birthday is next week, we are buying her new jammies, (silk from llbean) , and giving her a gift card to get new sheets...those things you need, but hate to spend the money on!!! me, two of my sisters, and my Waylon...are chipping in.
my hubs bought her a bunch of marbles, I made a bag for them...they have a joke between the two of them about losing your marbles...ya know like in peter pan??
she usually goes out on Tuesdays, so thought for sure I would get phone call today...I know the box is at her PO.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 13, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9332599

Oh, so what I thought was black, was actually navy blue?
It's really gorgeous, and shows a lot of love in those quilted flowers.
I remember the quote in Peter Pan, about Toodles losing his marbles LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9332684

WOW some great work going on & Thunder the cup was good find!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 13, 2012
10:33 PM

Post #9332699

So pretty Thunder, bet your momma is going to love it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9332732

Thunder your mom will just love it..it's the inside family jokes that bring families together..you've worked hard a creating the perfect birthday gift for her.

Finished the piece I started yesterday, Missy has decided it should be hers..guess I will go back into scrap bag and make her one lol

If you hear me say I'm using up leftover fabric to make a top..stop me right there..tell me I must quilt all the ones I have before starting something new..please/please...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9332739

Betty - well you could bring the tops to FL, leave them with me to quilt this winter, then pick them all back up in the Spring!!!!!

Thunder - your Mom is going to love that quilt.

Still raining here so I guess I'll be "forced" to hang out in the Studio & sew all day!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9332762

Betty, these FL ladies are really giving you an easy path...LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9332796

I am at a lose for words about your mom's quilt Thunder. Such love, such beauty for a special lady in your life.

Betty, I get startled every time you mention "Missy" loving something. That is what all my Canadian family calls me so I keep thinking did I say/do that...no wait! It is the cat. LOL

Jean please send us some of that rain...it is so dry here.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9332798

They sure are..omg what generosity, it has no bounds, they just keep giving/giving.

I'm sure if I get at it they will all be done before Christmas..don't really need as many as I have so the last of them can wait until my return..

You didn't slap my fingers girl, thought ok I would cut squares for Suzanne's 2 rag quilts today, that would keep me out of mischief and what did I do, saw the pattern 'Take Four' placemats..thought now wouldn't they make a nice easy gift so in my bag is fabric/batting and lining..let's hope they stay in the bag.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012

Post #9332799

LOL..will have to call you Missy then
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9332808

I most likely would answer. My late birthday started that when I was very, very young and it just stuck. In fact, a great niece hear someone call me "Marion" and asked "who is that?". Ross never, ever called me by my given name unless he was upset...then I knew to "shape up fast".
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9332821

Marion - maybe this rain will stay intact across the state. Sure is a large orange/red blob approaching from the Atlantic.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9332857

Guess I need to check the forecast as we certainly could use some now. My water bill is going to outrageous.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9332872

Lordy Marion, think in October we had something like 22 days with rain. Never did get all the raking done then this weekend I'm off again so come on snow, at least if it hides it I won't keep fretting that it's not done.

Well, 10:00 a.m. and got the blocks cut..knew I should have brought in the accuquilt/rag'ing die..still got all day ahead of me.

Not colors I would have chosen but then I'm not the grandma with a little girl aged 5

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9332946

Not quite the entire day..shoulders are so pain'ing that if I move around a bit I'll get through the day..cut enough fabric that I'm hoping to make 2 sets of 6 placemats..cutting was easy now lets see..they are all done with same fabric but differently

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9332977

Karen - on the home page today I noticed that there is a new member to DG from Travers City MI.!!!! Name is flagrider...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9332980

Saw that as well, wondered if it was someone Karen knew..

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9332983

along with Bella's quilt, I've also been finishing these: pot mats, and crocheted dish cloths from cotton yarn. I actually played around on the mat for FMQ, so I'm keeping this one!
The crochet pattern is 1 triple, 1 sc repeating across. Really worked my arthrititic joints... had to take a break every so many rows! But it makes a nubby texture that are wonderful for doing dishes!

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 14, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9332985

oh Karen - won't that be nice, to meet a member on DG in same city?!?!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9332988

O Thunder, that quilt for your Mom. Just fantastic on so many levels.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9332990

OK...so all three of those posted at once. Love the crochet.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9332999

wow, can't you just tell we are getting in the Christmas spirit, we're all working overtime..absolutely lovely..bet you make hand made items every year and family are looking forward to seeing what treasures you will give

My kids about October always ask 'what new craft did you learn this year mom?' know that whatever new project is that is what they will get lol

I am doing those placemats and for the amount of time I'll be putting into them (least amount of work) that's what I should have done for everyone..that and Barb's tree skirts..

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 14, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9333003

Was the person from Traverse City in the sewing forums?

Love all the things your making Kiz. I have a pattern for a really nice thick crocheted pot holder easy and quick to make too. I have a lot of the dish cloths too love them.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9333016

think she/he was listed as a 'new membership'
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9333066

I just won an eBay auction for a ceramic Christmas Tree. After seeing the one yesterday, and losing it in that auction, I did some checking on-line this AM. New ones are going for $100+. Decided to check eBay and there was one with 45 min left and in my price range. I waited till 1 min before the end and snuck my winning bid in. It will be perfect on the foyer table!!!!!

Got my estimate for the kitchen cupboard doors, counter top, etc. A bit more than I was hoping to pay. Need to sleep on it for a nite or 2. Would be nice to have a pretty kitchen for Christmas...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 14, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9333068

Good for you, Jean!! What was the winning bid?

aaaaah a "pretty kitchen" Would be nice, wouldn't it?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9333130

I've been playing with the presents today. Not complete but getting close!!! Making two!

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9333137

Kathy, that is sooo funny. I actually came up with making similarcrochet patter, Dbl C, than slide dbl C than slide turn and do all dbl c. etc. very pretty, for an afghan. Crochet with cotton is hard on your hands

Barb presents very pretty.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9333147

Barb is the BIG box mine????

With shipping the tree was under $40. I'm hoping it looks as nice in person as in the pics. Seller has a 5 Star rating so pretty sure it will be fine.

Heading to the studio to work on a top.

Here is a pic of the Jungle quilt I just did for a customer. The animals were a laurel Burch panel.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9333149

Taught ceramics for years and one of the first projects everyone wanted to do was the Christmas tree..so much so that I bought a trio mold for one that once was fired was 3ft high..you will just love it Jean.

Barb, excellent, weren't the pressies fun to do..gee whiz, we should send your wallhanging and my pressie quilt to the same person..lol

have one hour to finish the tops of 2 sets of 6 - christmas placemats..so much fun think I shall try to finish the quilting tonight. my thoughts is to put kittie fabric on the back..have meters and meters of that fabric so they could be reversible

Think I may have given some of you the pattern..yikes, throw it away..don't need instructions..they are confusing and go through so much detail that I simplified..easy as 1 - 2 - 3 -4 and 5

off to sew them together

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9333150

Beautiful sewing and quilt work..you must hate to give them to the owner after you quilt them

drats, Suzanne told me to stop typing and go sew or they'll not be together before we leave at 4:30 lol
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9333151

I made coordinating Halloween shirts for my friend & I while in TX. We wore them tot he quilt show. If i would have made 30, i could have sold them all. People even stopped us to get pics of them.
Pic of front & back. Both have the same back panel. I'm wearing the purple cow girl hat.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9333152

Very nice place mats, Betty.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 14, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9333157

What fun shirts Jean, I think I used some of those same fabrics for the trick or treat bags i made the kids.

Love the present place mats Betty, sure look easy enough and fun to make.

I can't begin to remember how many of those Christmas trees I made way back when in my ceramics phase. Green ones and white ones too. Probably have one or two still hanging around someplace.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9333190

Remember the mother of pearl with red or blue birds put in for lights???

Fini and 10 minutes to spare..got to clean my mess

Don't think the place mats are pressies but the christmas fabric makes them look like that

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9333191

ok..forgot the photo..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9333231

...and all I have to show for the day is one large sheet cake and a big pot of chili. Hummmm, something wrong with this picture. LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9333243

Pot of Chili...what time is dinner????
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9333277

about 6:30 ish. Shall I set some more places at the table? ;-)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9333282

Darn, don't think I can get there in time.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 14, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9333298

Oh yeah, Pearl with birdie lights too. I moved into porcelain and made and dressed dolls for several years.

I thought the place mats looked like presents at first but I guess not, they are very nice and will make great gifts.

I just got done churning (in my blender) butter from the cream we get off our milk from a local dairy. Two gallons of milk gives 6 cups of cream which makes almost a lb. of butter and then there is the yummy buttermilk left. Hubby's favorite part.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9333399

Marion any left overs???
Haven't eaten yet
DON'T you say ALL you got done today was the cake and supper..lordy, wish I like cooking, envy those who do.

Suzanne just left..she did the rag'ing with accuquilt and I did the 'x's
staying home tomorrow so will put it together for her and knock that off my list

tired, turned on the fireplace, made a hot chocolate and toast and off to bed

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9333402

I love to cook. So much so that we have an organic garden to grow and preserve a lot of food we eat from year to year. I clabber our buttermilk, make yogurt and paneer and almost never tire of standing over a fire whether gas, electric or wood. Likely more quilting would get done if things were different but our homes have always been a place for friends and family to fress.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9333458

Yes, there is chili left over. Cake will be going to school tomorrow for Kim's students who are celebrating birthdays...plus for herself.
Chili was okay but I have run out of fresh canned tomatoes and used canned from the store. They were sharp to me. What does one do in this case? I have told to add a little sugar but that didn't seem to cut the acidity.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9333533

My Moms quilt is black, her new room is blue. thanks for the compliments...it was definitely a labor of love !! she called tonight while I was at work, hubs told me about it when I called him at lunch time, and I called her back...she is VERY happy to have it for her new room...and she was thrilled with the marbles!!! she is going to keep them on her desk, so she can look at them and smile :) every time she sees them!!
Missy looks so very beautiful on that quilt...really her colors!
nice stuffs there Kiz, I love the crochet.
Marion, I usually add a bit of white, and a bit of brown sugar to spaghetti sauce...hubs then make chili, if there are leftovers.
I have green ceramic trees, that were made for my boys...only two tho, one of them got broken...any one know where to get those little "lights" ?? we have lost a few over the years.
I also have a white one that was hubs grandmothers, it has blue crystals for lights, really very pretty.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9333622

ebay has the "lights" from many vendors. Might also check a hobby store.

Marion - is it raining on your side yet? Still has not stopped over here.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9333659

I put brown sugar in my chili to help with the tomato situation.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 15, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9333678

I always put a bit of sugar in my tomato based sauces, seems to cut the tartness a bit. I tend to cook them for several hours too, it also helps.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9333735

Also just a tsp of baking soda will cut the acid in tomatoes.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 15, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9333737

Mornimg all, break time
Couldn't sleep, ended up putting rag quilt together and am quilting the placemats, friend called, made myself a coffee and almost tempted to put my head down but won't!

I always put sugar and Worchester Sauze to take away bitterness..kids say I make the best spaghetti sauce and what is my secret. Lol

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9333771

I'm participating as a Team Leader for the Sandy Quilt Project. This means that I receive finished blocks from other volunteers and then assemble, quilt, and ship the finished quilt. One of the ladies in my office has novice sewing skills, but I assured her that the Wonky Scrappy Log Cabin blocks was well within her skill level. I'm loaning her my scrap box so that she won't have to buy any fabric other than the one she'll need for the dark borders.

Want to volunteer? As the number of block making volunteers go up, more quilts will be made. The number of blocks needed on this webpage are only the number needed to finish up another quilt, so don't be discouraged if it says they need 2 more and you wanted to make 4. Sign up!
http://quiltinggallery.com/quilters-fun/sandy-quilt-block-drive/

Thumbnail by lanakila

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9333772

I only use "San Marzano" tomatoes, no need for sugar in them. Make sure the salt content is balanced though.

In brown gravies such as pork based, chicken based even au juis, I always add 2T catsup or 1T sugar makes them smooth.

Great tip here, make your base for your turkey gravy now with some turkey wings and Vegt.

Roast your turkey pieces, add celery, carrots, a piece of brocoli stem or cauliflower or pc of cabbage, 1 tomato, 1 potato peeled,lrg. whole onion skin and all pepper corns 1 bay leaf and salt to taste, cover with water and cook for 1 hr. Make your gravy 1 or 2 days before TG and than just add the drippings and 2T catsup. Stress free TG.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 15, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9333860

Great recipe..with all the talk of Thanksgiving yummies, almost tempted to cook some myself..

You think you have a lot of fabric until you go looking for something..decided to border the placemats so the back which I've used up of Christmas kitties, seeing kitties lay on the tables I sew on so that it frames both front and back sides..no can find, guess it's back to the fabric store while doing craft shows Saturday.

Did manage to find I hope enough 'blue' fabric to do this throw..if I can accomplish the quilting by nightfall I'll have reached my Thursday goal..I'm mega into Christmas and you are all preparing for family..sure hope it's the best Thanksgiving yet!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze      

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9333913

What a great productive day Betty. I love the kitty fabric - it's so cute!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 15, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9333924

Thanks Barb...

just sprayed adhesive to back and front of the throw I need done by Saturday morning..might be a double gift, me glued to the top as well.

Time for a break, wish you were here working along with me..still smile when I think of Norm sitting patiently doing a floor mat while we did our crafts..what a guy!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9333979

wow lanakila. Thats a big job to be the team leader. Good for you!! Especially this time of the year.

I did sign up to make some blocks. Scraps...I can do it!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 15, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9333997

Lanakila, missed your post..prayers for you and your earthly angerls..
Will check out the link this evening and see if I too can help out

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 15, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9334013

Lanakila, I keep getting error message with that link.

I cook turkey wings ahead too but that's for the broth to cook the egg noodles in. I know we're having goose, duck, turkey and seeing my granddaughter has two deer now, probably some venison too.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9334023

I just had to email them, because I had trouble registering. She wrote back and said I actually had registered. So there is something amiss someplace. She would probably like to know you had trouble too, just so they can fix it.
Glad I didnt keep hitting register, because I couldnt have made all those blocks.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9334081

Thanks so much for joining in the effort folks! I decided to volunteer as a leader because my family no longer gifts (all adults) and I have no children (other than furbabies), so I get to benefit from all the fabric sales purely for pleasure. I'm glad that the Sandy Quilt effort chose a simple block that uses scraps. That makes it easy for folks of all skill levels and stash sizes participate. It looks like maybe the url for the link got shortened last time.

Go to http://quiltinggallery.com and look for the square with the doggie in it that says Sandy Quilt Block Drive. Right now it is on the right near the top of the page.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2012 4:55 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 15, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9334098

DRATS, I'm not a happy camper..
Never stopped but for 2 little breaks..another 1/2 hr. and the binding would be on and I could sit quietly watching t.v. and sewing the edging..ran out for one side edging..

Lordy it makes me mad..guess I could jump in the car and head to Midland but wether I want to do that or not is the question..

Got as far as unpacking 1 Christmas tote, gee after a year in the back shed I open the lid and I'm like a kid with the 'oooh's and ahhh's' don't know why, most I've had for an eternity..lol

deep sigh, its either Midland now or early in the a.m. what to do/what to do

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9334106

I believe that is one of the groups I'm making the quilt for. Sewed log cabins all day. They are to be "wonky". I'll hopefully finish them up over the weekend. We are meeting again next Tues. Was disappointed than only 4 ladies participated today.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9334160

Beautiful quilt Betty, I hate it when I am short for one piece! Hope you can find mor of the same fabric.
I looked at the site for log cabin blocks, but I can't commit right now, but if I find time to make blocks, I will mail them to you Lanakila.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 15, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9334172

LindaKay, ran out of blue thread..couch won out, trip to Walmart will have to wit until morning!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9334196

Jean, when you were doing the blocks, did you do a block at a time or bunch of middles then move on and do a bunch of sides etc.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9334462

I chain pieced. And since they are to be a bit "wonky" (used strips 2.5", 2", and 1.5") I didn't even square up after each round.

Annie's is having a sale and then 15% off any purchase: http://www.anniescatalog.com/fabric/sale.html?mode=list&offset=0&limit=21&cat_id=1433&filter_id=1

DH & I are off to the Shop hop at 8:30. Was hoping the weather would be nice since some of the shops are near the beach. Thought we could go put our toes in the sand. But is to be chilly & drizzly all day.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9334471

Yea, I wanted to pressure wash the patio, but looks like sunday is the first sunny day coming up.

I had been using my chain pieced scraps and it seemed to be working well, glad to hear you did it and it works for the whole block. I was just squaring the side I was sewing the next piece to. Ill see how that evolves.

Have fun shopping, there is always eating ;-x, if its to cloudy for the sand.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9334538

Pretty much the same yucky weather in this part of the state too. Enjoy the day everyone.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 16, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9334547

Cold but clear here..was at Walmart at 7:00am..lots of company dropping in today so will sew in between..

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9334580

Couldn't sleep this morning so I finally got up and altered the last 2 pair of pants for #2 son. My DH will be there (an hour away) later today and can drop them off. I got off REALLY lucky, I could just take a seam up on both sides in the front and turn them into "pleats". Son got the waist taken in and didn't lose the extra room in the thigh he needed. Thank goodness the pants HAD been flat front so i could pleat them!!! LOL

I'm looking forward to trying the wonky log cabin, it won't be this weekend. We're headed out of town and I'm on call until 8AM tomorrow.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 16, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9334655

Productive morning then Pat..good for you

DIL dropped in, saw placemats and fell in love with them, into my stash she went, needs a few gifts for friends..all cut out, off to drive Noah into Midland and will come back and sew

In the meantime I'm embroidering names/dates on baby blankets..ahhh to have such a MIL lol big time

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9334695

Your DIL knows a good thing when she sees it!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9334715

I agree.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9334717

does any one have a cup cake pin cushion pattern made with fabric rather than felt

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9334728

http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/just-finished-putting-up-my-produce-t138963.html

Lovely canning jar cupboard

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 16, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9334734

How's this?

http://quilthome.com/product_info.php/products_id/6751?gclid=CJ-60qWh1LMCFYYWMgod6xoAKg

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9334777

I saw this on google TU

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 16, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9334826

Well finally the ladies left, I'm totally exhausted but still need to sew binding to a quilt that is being delivered tomorrow to godaughter.

Melanie with the help of Aunt Muriel (89) ironing, me doing some batting and backing cutting and Melanie sewing got 2 sets of 6 placemats done..In our travels tomorrow, yuk, leaving for the city at 7:30 a.m. I'm sure we can pick a fabric for the binding that is suitable for her 2 sets and my 2 sets..should because we used my fabric lol

close your eyes to sewing room mess, sure needs some tender loving cleaning for sure

Better find the white thread or blue thread and head upstairs and get that binding done before I fall asleep..two other friends said they would drop in for a second tonight, would it be masty of me to hope they don't???

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze         

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9334942

Was I the only one who took advantage of the 65% off Christmas fabrics at Joanns today? I went online this morning, put 6 or 7 fabrics in my cart, got to looking at the counted cross stitch kits (50% off), by the time I went to check out 3 of the fabrics had sold out. Still got enough CHristmas flamingos and tropical santa to make a lapquilt for my sister in Florida.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9334950

I have SO Much Christmas fabric in my stash...

So 10 hours; 230 miles; and 8 quilt shops later, I'm back home and still had enough $$$ in my pocket to stop by the Chinese restaurant before coming home!!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9335045

WOW... even enough $ left to EAT afterwards!!! GOOD JOB!!! LOL

NO, it would not be "nasty" of you to hope they do not stop by, it would be HUMAN!! Poor lady, you sound ready to drop of exhaustion!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9335064

The shop hop was $6 for the entry fee. Each shop gave out 2 fat qtrs and a pattern. All but 2 shops allowed you to choose your fat qtrs. 4 gave "real" patterns - ones you would buy. And I won 2 fat qtrs in a drawing. So that was like 4 1/2 yds of fabric & 4 patterns for the entry fee.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9335081

That is cool... Great, now I have to add SHOP HOP envy to list of problems!! LOL

I need to check with a SERIOUS quilter in Tri-Cities (an hour away) and see if she knows any such event in our neck of the woods.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 17, 2012
2:54 AM

Post #9335247

they sound like a lot of fun..have one in our region, believe it is held late September..will have to investigate as well.

goig to have sewing withdrawals today lol but will add in Lens Mills (fabric store) to the Markham craft show, Ganz and International Center craft show..maybe someone will have interesting sewing project I can buy and dissect..hmm

Here's hoping I will also come back with $$$ in my pocket

Best get a move on, girls are arriving at 7:20 and I want to go wash and vacuum car before we set out

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9335348

I can not even remember the last time I went to a craft show??? and to think I used to be at one every weekend!! Hope You have a great adventure !!
what is every one else up to?? I will soon be off to work, odd shift today. 11 - 8 it is another cold and dreary day, temp is around 50*...I am cold when it goes below 70 LOL... I know 50 probably sound warm to some of you...

hope Y'all have a great day :-)

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9335392

for anyone that's interested, and for FB people, there is a great page from Ben Franklin Crafts of New Albany IN that features craft ideas on their Facebook page that are cheap, easy, cute, recycled, etc. The guys that run this store are from a family from my hometown and went to our church. Lovely family, parents retired out of the business after they moved to New Albany, then their boys took it over.
Ben Franklin used to be our local 5-10 store, a family business from way back when. Can't hardly find them anymore, but Ted and his brother keep their facebook page interesting! For all you craftsy people, it may be worth taking a look for ideas!

[HYPERLINK@www.facebook.com]

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9335393

My best friend is moving to AZ so Ben & I are driving to Everett WA (over 4 hours over mountain pass) and picking up her freezer and all the contents. We'll drive over today, spend the night with Ben's daughter & husband, then load up the freezer and a trundle bed and come back. I'm praying for "good weather", IE not icy, not pouring rain.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9335394

good luck driving thru the mountains, Pat!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9335397

Kathy, those crafts are adorable!!! I can hardly wait to send the vampire pumpkin to my freind next year! LOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 17, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9335398

Don't know if they are connected, but we do still have a Ben Franklin. It's small and mostly crafts.

Yes Pat, do have a safe trip.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2012 10:33 AM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2012

Post #9335448

Pat, added wishes for a safe trip also. Nice getting a freezer with it's contents...assuming it is things you want and use. Envy you the trundle bed...sister has one I keep trying to talk her out of for my sewing/craft area. Haven't had any luck so far. She also has a beautiful wrought iron glider that is just sitting outside for her cats to "lounge" upon. Haven't given up yet...maybe soon she will trade something with me.

Karen, lucky you! I love Ben Franklin. There was one for years in Gainesville, albeit small, it had wonderful craft items...mostly hard to find things. That was what surprised me the most.

Jean, what shops were on the hop? Really interested in know where you went...sounds like so much fun.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9335502

We had several Ben Franklin stores here in NH and now we are down to only one. I LOVED that store and miss the one that was near my home...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 17, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9335509

Pat - too bad you're not coming the Canadian side! We're just north of you...
Safe travels!

Kathy - those are cute, and so inspiring!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9335552

Waiting on my Sweetie, I have the clothes & meds packed... the big garbage sacks purchased, 3 loads of laundry done... *sigh* That song "waiting on a woman" was soooooo not written for us! LOL

Jean, the Stars & Stripes pattern arrived, thanks so much. It will certainly be easier than doing all the math and yardage estimates myself.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9335617

I'm sure the Ben Franklins are connected. You can google the website and do a store locator. At the time that Wayne and his family moved, the BF stores were undergoing a downsizing and the company offered him a store in New Albany. The town really missed him, as it was the 'go to' place for almost everything; crafts, high school projects (crepe paper for floats..LOL) fabrics, glassware, comic books!, etc. At Christmas, Mom would give us spending money to buy gifts and she would drop us off there to shop. Our town was very small, the main street ran past the clothing store, restaurant, general store, bank, drug store, the "Fair Store" where my Gma worked which was directly across from the BF, dress shop, nursing home, post office.. oh yeah the tavern and a grocery store. The rest of town was houses and various small businesses, like hair salons, flower shop, meat processing plant, car dealership. Very small. They were big community promoters too.
If you happen to go to Facebook, you can click on their photo album to see other things, you don't have to 'friend' them. But you can see that their crafts are easy on the budget and fun too, not like Joann's where stuff costs a fortune to make.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9335650

DeLand, Orange City, New Syrmna Beach, Daytona Beach, Palm Coast, Ormond Beach, Bunnell, St Augustine

I was wondering how far I was from Mittsy at the furthest point.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9335714

That is really neat Jean. I can only imagine the fun you had...not to mention all the goodies you found. Enjoy!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #9335996

I had planned on sewing all day yesterday and only ended up with 2 hours of free time. Today I plan on making up for that.
The weather people are "promising" some sun today and I do need to go out & pay some attention to the lawn & front gardens.
Have a book-on-CD 2 days overdue from the library since I've not had time to listen. Really do need to finish it & return it today.

And all my plans of making items for Christmas...well still have not started anything.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9336092

Craft fairs are really dangerous for me. I end up wanting to make half of what I see! Pinterest is just as bad, especially since I follow some serious quilt fans and crafty folks. Yikes!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9336100

I woke up this morning telling myself just to 'clam' down. Even tho a long week ahead, this time next week, God willing, everything will have gone well and I have about three weeks for a replay.
Ive got lots of fabric cut for my wonky blocks, some made. I ended up making a duplicates. I had all the scraps from the charm swap so I made a block with all the different fabrics I had used. Liked it so much, pulled out fabrics from previous swaps and added them. It just makes me feel so good to look at. I even have the fabrics from the three blocks I still owe from last year that I havent finished and or mailed yet ;-x.

Jean, did you use different fabrics in more than one block. With about 17 different strips in each block, not to repeat a fabric in any block, thats alot of different fabric. I got about four blocks done, thats 68 different fabrics, and now Im thinking Im just going to have to use some of the same strips just mix them up differently.

GOT to do some dusting and floors, just have to. Wanna do blocks. Funny, I never want to sew more, than when I know I really cant.

I started Tia Chi and QiGong yesterday. The teacher told me I had a monkey brain and that I thought to much. I needed to just relax. Um yea...lolol. I thought about that when I got home and I was taking forever on the wonky blocks because I wanted to match everything up instead of just pull a strip from the bag. ;-)

Everyone be safe and have a good week

This message was edited Nov 18, 2012 2:20 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9336154

Yes, I re-use fabric strips. I have over 40 blocks. Am FINALLY on the last strip. Now I remember why I rarely make log cabin blocks. They seem to take forever.
A "Monkey Brain"??? At least they acknowledge you have a brain.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 18, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9336238

Bit of a change not sewing this weekend, but one can only do so much!

Left at 7:30am yesterday mornimg and didn't get home till almost 9pm..very disappointing craft shows, bought some specialty items but not what I wanted.

Think when you sew, have woodworking equipment, tole paint and stained glass not much to buy you can't do yourself..praying the Lord will give me an idea to teach Saturday..family/friend workshop and ive no direction..need to order wood by tomorrow..oh sooo is me, I really should have cancelled this year but I started it the year Roger died, 21 years ago and don't have the heart to ..am sure tonight when I go through primitive design books something will come to mind.

Put up my Christmas tree, re-designed into a snowman. Lol, cooking myself a turkey dinner and almost at the point of calling it a day but much cleaning to do, how come when you take Christmas treasures out and have to find room for existing treasures you make such a mess??
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9336339

Betty - I can relate tot he "mess".

I just finished my 40+, 12", wonky log cabin blocks. Took a lot longer than I had hoped. The sun did come out so I was able to get out and get all the nasty mushrooms out of the yard. They grow from the decaying tree roots. And if i don't get them up before they start rotting they smell like dog poop.

Now to roust DH & see where we are going for dinner. Also need to buy a new lock set for the new back door we are having put in tomorrow.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9336446

We are off to D.C. early early to share TG with DD, and new DH, plus relatives from both sides. It will be their first time hosting. They were married this past July. I am chief chef so I've been racing around this past week preparing for TG on wheels but I wanted to check in before we took off and wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9336486

Thank you for the holiday wishes Laurel and the same for you and yours. Have a safe trip and we will look for you after...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9338143

Pat - how is your weather? Saw the WA storms on WC this AM.

Well, the re-organizing out in the Studio is almost done. Moved the larger cabinet to under the front window. Had to re-charge my battery for my small circular saw then trimmed the 2" off the bottom of the small cabinets. Slid those underneath the long arm table. Swept the floor. Now I'm actually going to do some sewing.

Dropped off my 40+ wonky log cabin blocks this AM. The shop owner was not in so not sure how they will be put together.

Marion - my wonky blocks did not follow a pattern. I just "trimmed" them off center when they were over 6" and then again when I was done.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9338172

Does that mean you squared them at 6". Mine are all different sizes and that makes it more time consuming as you get towards the end and have to make everything fit. If I did it again, I would make all the strips the same size and be done with it. Ive got so many strips left and cut, I might do 10 more after I send these in. I will have more time too.

My team leader, that is putting the blocks together is from Lancaster Pa. I would love to see some of her stuff.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9338187

We had high winds yesterday here but nothing to get excited about. Not sure how the rest of the state is fairing. I get so busy at work and never watch TV so sometimes I am clueless.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9338321

Yes, after a few rounds, I squared them up. Then kept going and did the final square at 12 1/2". I agree, wonky is more difficult that a normal log cabin. And using the skinny strips it takes forever to make a 12" block.

Lots & lots of quilters in the Lancaster area to go with all the GREAT fabric shops up there.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9338843

Jo Ann's has free shipping for $25 orders so I saved myself the trip out there!!!! Day is off to a very good start. Gives me more time to get some quilting done.

And it just dawned on me that I wanted to make Kayla a Christmas stocking. Was going to ask a friend to embroider the name for me and too late now so I'll just run it off on the printer. So will get fabrics for that out today.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 21, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9338877

DIL had me embroider names last Friday..

also wanted to make a stocking for a swap Christmas gift, was at the craft show, they had the most beautiful stockings (large) with fibreoptics throughout the poinsettia's so I could resist..saved me some work and am sure the individual will be thrilled..

Sitting here doing bindings on the 2nd set of 6 placemats, lordy, next batch might consider doing some decorative stitches vs. hand sewing

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9339103

This is what we've been working on
Annabella Faye, 7 lb 10 oz, 19 1/2". Hasn't figured out how to getmilk from Mommy yet, but sure works that tongue a lot. LOL

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 21, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9339107

Annabella is just too adorable..how wonderful to have a new addition to the family in time for Thanksgiving..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9339147

Congrats Grandma Kathy!!!! Look at those cheeks...what a cutie.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9339183

Beautiful- just beautiful!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 21, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9339215

Annabella Faye is ADORABLE!! Congratulations! I know that she will be spoiled, but so cute that I can't see her being spoilt! Thank you for sharing, GMa Kathy!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9339237

How cute is that. Wonder how long Mom can keep those fingernails looking like that ;-).
Congrats to all.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9339246

Adding my congrats also. Welcome to the wonderful world of being a grandparent...best journey you will take other than becoming a mom.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 22, 2012
1:45 AM

Post #9339628

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9339672

Gobble Gobble...

I'm usually the one who is up & cooking by this time. I'm now thinking of all the sewing I can do this AM since I'm not doing any cooking.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 22, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9339720

Bonus...lol

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 22, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9339726

I'm sewing too, our celebration is on Saturday. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9339752

Happy Thanksgiving!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9339906

Karen, us too! We have had celebrated our Thanksgiving on the Saturday after since before I was born. This tradition in my family was formed in response to having LOTS of family with 2 sides of the family in the area and wanting everyone to be able to celebrate with BOTH sides. This works for us! I'm on-call today. I volunteered since we will celebrate on Saturday.

I have not been able to sleep (guess I should have taken an Ambien last night) . So I got up and started sewing. SEWING is my plan for the day along with getting the bulbs organized and the planting plan made. My best freind gave me 280 bulbs to get planted... 10 (2 @5) hyacinth, 60 (4 varieties total) Daffodils and 210 tulips. (19 varieties)

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 22, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9339918

We put Christmas on delay too for the same reason. We then have a day when we can ALL get together and no one has to run off to another dinner or visit.

Just finished the last of 10 bean bag liners. WHEW!! Sure not gonna try making this many at a time again. Now though I'm believing I'll get them all done for Christmas. K mart and Meijers (local) both have the pellets for them so I'm sure I can get enough. I'll start the outside bags next Monday.

Starting some of my cooking this afternoon, actually most of what I'm making can be done or mostly done ahead. Last minute stuff in the morning, Tank up the birds dishes inside and the feeders outside, load up and hit the road by noon at least. Takes 4 hours and I cannot drive after dark.

Saturday I get to see everyone and I can't wait. It gets pretty lonely up here by myself.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9339927

Just got a top quilted & found a pile of left over squares from a baby quilt. All pinks & purples. So I sewed them all together & they will be the front of a stocking for Kayla. It is big enuf that I think she will fit in it!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9339934

She is sooooooooo cute, and a picture of her IN her new stocking would be even better!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 22, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9340028

Pat - you sure have a lot of planting in store for yourself!! 280 bulbs?!?!

Karen - sending a BIG hug to you. Sorry you're feeling lonely...

lol - picturing Kayla in the stocking - would love to see That picture!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9340185

We had our get together today. Wonderful day with my son and his family plus my DIL's brother. This is the first time in 3 years that Kim and I have had Thanksgiving dinner and oh it was so good to have turkey. My sister got meals from Cracker Barrel for her and mom so everyone had a good day.

For those celebrating on Saturday, I hope you enjoy the day with family, friends and who ever is lucky to be at the table.

Off to eat my piece of pecan pie I didn't eat at lunch. My DIL makes one "wicked" pie!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9340210

Pecan!! OH my favorite!!! It would be, it's the highest calorie pie there is!!! LOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 22, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9340242

Oooooooh Pecan pie...It was my dad's favorite and nobody but nobody made it as good as my mom. If I could have just a tiny taste...

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9340433

DH and I found a red velvet cheese cake, everyone loved it!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 23, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9340492

ok - somewhat excited, but reining it in...
Both Bob & I are starting Temporary jobs on Monday. We found out yesterday when he went to an interview with a gov't office who place people in "training" programs doing painting & construction.
They were going to involve ME in this, until they realized I was registered with their Champions program for disabled peoples... Anyway, he'll make minimum wage until he can find a perm position.
I got a call from an Employment Agency and the company wants someone from Monday until Dec 28th. It MAY Potentially become perm, but I'm not getting all excited about that possibility.
It IS employment for both of us, and $$ coming in for now, and I'm very happy about that.

s'funny that we both get jobs that start on Monday, eh? LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9340506

Great news on the jobs!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 23, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9340507

Thank you!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #9341022

What I nice way to bring in the Holidays, with a job and MONEY!!! Yeah Team!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 23, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9341025

yaaaaaaaaay indeed! well, it's not a volunteer job LOL so, hope it means $$ LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 24, 2012
3:40 AM

Post #9341062

Wonderful news Susan..holidays are difficult enough without having to worry about jobs and income..praying they fall in love with you and you will be asked to stay on..as for Bob, he loves construction, I'm sure it's a plus for him as well..will indeed be a great Monday.

Been up early, instead of cutting fabric I've been cutting wood for workshop today and the 6th Annual workshop, talk about sawdust..even though I've a room especially for cutting, dust seems to filter through the rooms..done dusting, washing floors, making sure all the materials I need for today's workshop are in order and looking at the clock, have a Dresden tablecloth to finish, could get a few hours in before they arrive.

All are coming from out of town, snowed last night, roads are slick, wouldn't hurt me in the least if the cancelled..in fact, would do the happy dance and get the tablecloth finished..

Bet you are all tired out from Thansgiving festivities and looking forward to a day of relaxation/sewing..

For those of you celebrating today, enjoy!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9341077

Morning all...
Yesterday I was motivated to clean up the scraps that have been accumulating. Now have a full box of 2 1/2' strips, pile of 1 1/4 (rug strips) and a nice bag of selvages started (to make a spider web quilt). Put all the UFOs that I really have no desire to work on is a plastic bin & pushed to the side; all the fat qtrs are in 1 place (I think); and I have a cleared off cutting surface. I need to clean up every now and again or feel I'm losing my "sanity" in the mess.

Today I need to do some non-quilting sewing.

But 1st, I'm going to get me 2nd cup of coffee, the quilt that needs binding, and put a movie on. Will have at least 1 cat in my lap.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 24, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9341131

Soi DS like my kind of day..did the same a few days ago, amazing how 5 tables get filled with projects, gets overwhelming, tidy up and new lease on life..want to accomplish something..

Car load of girls were (are) coming..we're to be here at 9am for the day, mega accident on 400 ..we're told at least an hour before traffic would start moving then another hour here..likely won't get here until 10:30-11:00

Meanwhile watching t.v. With feet up

Had I had known I wouldn't have put the sewing machine away.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9341194

Just got back from my second day of hel at joanns. It was total chaos yesterday, not so bad this a.m. Not they they had the ott lites I wanted either day, in the store or online. Did get some storage bins, new cutting mat, fork pins, that kind of stuff, it was worth it with 50% off and take another 25% off that. So glad I got a 5 pck of the olfa 60 blades, at 54.99 for 5 . Yesterday they had none out, today they had one pack. When done with these wonky blocks Im going to follow Jeans lead. Its the pieces that are a little smaller than a fat quarter but still have some life left in them, that I have so much trouble with.

Marion, I hope your still a Gator today, I would be out in my orange and blue, I dont care how much of that awful maroon and gold I saw lolol. ;-)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2012

Post #9341195

I think we all have been on a sorting, cleaning mode. I have mine now neatly stored in plastic boxes, labeled and stored. Great feeling. Need to go outside and add some more mulch around some of my plants as they are predicting 30 tonight.

Sorry Pam, but in all the 35 years I lived in Gainesville, I never learned to say: " Goooooo Ga..." That is as close as I came.
However you will find me in garnet and gold doing the "tomahawk" chop! Still friends tho...:-).

This message was edited Nov 24, 2012 11:09 AM

This message was edited Nov 24, 2012 11:10 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2012

Post #9341224

Michael's has a nice Ott lite with LED bulbs on sale for $19 then they have a coupon.
And they have the 13" plastic storage boxes that I like for blocks & projects for $3.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 24, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9341237

Thanks Betty - you're so right - this should be a less stressful holiday.

speaking of sports (I don't follow them, but this is interesting). It's Grey Cup Sunday tomorrow, and Calgary & Toronto are playing. Our mayor and Toronto's mayor are betting the win of the game so that the winner's city will get the losing mayor to donate their weight in food to the Food Bank. The Toronto mayor is over 300 lbs lol Our mayor isn't saying what his weight is, but it's certainly not that much. This is one time when I care for our city to win the Grey Cup :-)
Think of all the people that will be helped in whatever city wins!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9341398

In a world of greed, THAT sounds like sweet bet!

I went to JoAnn's and did buy the Ott light set in behalf of my Sis. I also bought a "few" yards of Quilters showcase, hard not to when it's discounted $1.99 another 25% off!! Also bought fleece for a couple of donated projects I need to finish up.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9341825

Has anyone used the forked pins. I keep reading some good things about them, so got some yesterday. I dont get the point ( no pun intended). Just wondering what Im missing, or if they are going in the trash.

Marion...friends for sure!!! Been around long enough to realize, some years its the chop and some years its the chomp.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 25, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9341838

Productive morning,
Got most of the gifts near the tree, thing I need a bigger living room..

Now that I've finished that it's a sewing day, don't need to be in Midland until 11:00 to pick up crosses that I had engraved for grandsons, if I time it right it will be my break time and I won't lose out of sewing time..lol

Hoping to get that 2nd Dresden place table cloth done and quilted so I can spend tomorrow at work hand sewing binding..hoping!!

Did you gals leave me goodies at Joann's..stopping in on Friday and don't want to walk into empty shelves??

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9341850

Joanne's should be re stocked by now, from my last shopping trip !! have not been in a few weeks...definitely not brave enough to be there after thanksgiving...and besides, I had to work. I have been having a very nice visit with all of my boys, DIL, and GD...

Sailor just left to head back, and I believe the rest will go a bit later, off to DIL's mom's house for a few days.

I work today, and tomorrow, have Tuesday off.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012

Post #9341904

gardenglory, not for sure what a forked pin is?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9341929

Pam, ditto. Link?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 25, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9341930

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tools/Fork_Pins_______________D81346.html

fork pins. They are hard to work with. I like the flat head pins and it took me a long time to accept them. Probably because I am like a trained horse, what I have used is what I like...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9341932

Oh, I have seen them, but they were usually used in crafts, like holding things in Styrofoam. Never new they were for sewing. Let us know how they work please?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 25, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9341963

Pam, definitely still friends. Congrats on a game well played!!!! A very clean game I might add, that was a refreshing change for the teams!!

I have only used the fork pins for crafts like LK mentioned. Kim uses them to secure the bands she puts around her cake pans when she is baking large cakes...bands dipped in cold water, squeezed out and wrap around pan make the cake bake more even and usually avoid the rise in the middle. Took me a long time to remember to do that when I bake the cake for her orders. Like Helene, don't always adapt to new tricks to easily. :-)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9341990

I tried the fork pins a few years ago and I was not overly impressed with them They were demonstrated to use when matching up seams when quilting and I didn't care for them. I never thought to use them in crafts!!! I must remember to put them in the craft basket!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9341996

They were in the quilting section, and on the front says" for quilting and sewing". I think the other ideas for crafts are a better idea. They probably have the same pins in the craft section and the package says "for crafts"

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 25, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9342029

right. I used to make many pine cone ornaments with folded ribbon and fork pins worked great...pearl topped long quilting pins my fav. bbut like I said the flat once are growing on me. Als bought smallish with round head for applique. Did like those when i made the Dresden quilt.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9342062

I've never seen those pins before but I don't do a lot of "craft" stuff.

Just cleaned the house...seems I do that a lot. Got a new Shark vacuum and it seems to do wonderfully on carpets & hard surfaces. I'm always amazed by how much nasty stuff comes up from vacuuming. Just have 3 little indoor cats.

I had hoped to get some sewing done today and it's already after 2PM. Need to check & see what our dinner plans are. We usually go out on Sun but now it gets dark & cold so early that I'd almost rather stay home.

Got the suitcases out...now to decide what to put in them. Darn New England cold weather!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9342150

I went to the connecting threads site and had a good time looking at all the free pattern downloads and other goodies. FUN TIMES!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 25, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9342171

Got home a couple of hours ago. Our family Thanksgiving/ JoJo's 1st birthday was a great time. Waaaay too much food as usual but it sure was good.
Drive home was mostly good until I got to my usual exit. There was 8 inches of snow and the road was bad. I drove on it for about a mile and decided it wasn't for me. Turned around and went a bit further up the expressway and took a more traveled way home. It's a bit longer but the road was clearer. Strange but here there was only a bit under an inch of snow. Usually we have more because we get "Lake effect snow" due to our proximity to Lake Michigan.

Now to get back to work on Christmas presents.

This message was edited Nov 25, 2012 5:08 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 25, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9342205

Forked pins
http://shiny4444.blogspot.ca/2010/05/clover-fork-pins-review.html
Shows "how to"

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9342219

For a change there was NOT too much food!! Maybe because we got so many more people who came that generally didn't make it. Don't get me wrong, there was enough, just not endless 2nds AND leftovers like usual!! EXCEPT dessert, holy cow... only served up less than 20% of the dessert that was there.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 25, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9342227

Just a little tip from my mom many years ago...When she would be knitting, she would from time to time run the knitting needles through her hair. I thought she was itching her head until I asked about it. Turns out that running them through her hair makes them slide easier. Did you know that way back a dresser accessory was a hair catcher. When you had hair in your comb or brush it went into the hair catcher. Now, the reason for this...the hair was saved until there was enough to put into a pin cushion. Human hair makes a very good pin cushion. Now I'm not sure if its the friction of the rubbing or the hair oils. but it does make pins and needles slide easier. My kids were born B.P (Before Pampers) and I can remember running the diaper pins through my hair as it made them slide through the fabric easier. All this is because these forked pins look to me like they could benefit from being run through the hair as they look longer to me. I do this with my straight pins also if they get a bit hard to push through the fabric also.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 25, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9342230

We have enough singles and college kids that there are always plenty who like to pack up left overs. We plan for them in fact.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 25, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9342234

Karen - what a wonderful idea - hair! Maybe I should talk to my hairdresser about getting some cuttings for my sewing room?!?! lol
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9342266

Susan, thanks for the link, those are the exact ones I got.

Good luck to you and your husband tomorrow.

Hair...how interesting.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 25, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9342269

Thanks for the good luck wishes :-)

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9342941

This is a quilt I am making for my sister Debbie. She always watches the Grinch and she and her husband are going to see the play on Sunday. The colors look a bit washed out, really is brighter, (almost too bright, lol).

Next up is a tropical Santa and pink flamingo Christmas quilt for another sister. That one might not be made until next year, depends on if I get their presents done first.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9342953

oh... I saw that fabric and it is BRIGHT!! very nice
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9342979

Neat Grinch fabric.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 26, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9342985

adorable..she will love it I'm sure!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 26, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9343357

Great quilt!! My DD watches the Grinch every year too - it's a tradition!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 26, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9343365

Beautiful
http://www.andiesisle.com/creation/magnificent.html

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012

Post #9343367

Susan, my computer kept stalling, I never did get to finish it but it was beautiful what I saw! thanks for sharing.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 26, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9343370

It really is awesome, what God has wrought...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9343595

Im in a bit of a dither. I finished my Sandy blocks and your have to make a label. I have gone up not once, but twice to get a fabric pen and they are so sharp it pulls the fabric and they are impossible to make a label with. Could anyone give me the name of a permanent marker that actually will write on the fabric and not act as a pin. Im on the verge of loosing it...bad. This is ridiculous.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9343621

Just choose a scrap of a regular piece of quilting cotton in a light color or print. The weave on that fabric is tighter so it shouldn't pull as much. A regular Sharpie works well too if you need something with a thicker point. Thanks so much for donating your time and talent to the Sandy Quilt project. I'm a team leader and my blocks are starting to come in so I'll be making tops and pinning this weekend!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9343658

If you have a piece of fine sandpaper, put underneath the fabric and it will hold it somewhat. I found fabric pens at our local crafts store that have dual points, so can be used from either end, much easier to write with those fine tips
The sandpaper trick came from here on the board

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 27, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9343663

type your label on the computer and print it on white cotton.

Iron 8 1/2" x 11" freezer paper on to the same size white cotton(same size as your printing paper). Place it in the printer cotton side to where it prints (up or down depending on your printer) print your label and only now remove the freezer paper. Works beutiful.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9343669

Thanks everyone, I dont have any freezer paper but might try that if I ever make another one. I decided to just pack the blocks up and told my team leader to just put my blocks with another label from other blocks. I just dont want to use something that might run, and ruin a whole quilt and others work. I tried the sandpaper, and that would have worked if the pen had not been so fine. I would love to know what, if anything, this pen can actually be used for. I didnt do the blocks to have my name on it anyway.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9343699

Pam, freezer paper is a staple in my quilting bag. You would be surprised how many times I use it...learned that when there was a quilting shop in Cross Stitch and More that was in Thornebrook. Kathy's suggestion of the sandpaper is great and works wonderfully. I haven't tried printing a label so far...printer touchy at best. Guess I need to add that to my "wish list" for Christmas. WAIT!!!! I am Santa Claus so that might not work. :-(

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 27, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9343720

Morning,

brought in my black white charms to work and am hoping to make a tote bag with them..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9343818

I use the F&P markers. They don't have a sharp point - more like a Sharpie.

Some of the fabric markers come with a regular (instead of fine) tip. They are also easier.

And, in a bind, a crayon will work. After you write it, put a piece of wax paper over & iron. That will set the crayon into the fabric.

BTW, packing for a trip is just NO fun. It is 75 here today & I'm packing for temps 40 deg colder.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9343885

Annabella is getting over her jaundice, in a better mood today for Gramma..

Thumbnail by Kizmo

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9343944

Jaundice is quite common in little ones. Glad to hear she is doing OK! She is so cute!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 27, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9343999

Sure is a cutie Kathy.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 27, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9344008

What a sweetheart!!
Both of my boys had jaundice, kept them a few days longer in hospital and both are the healthiest..
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9344070

I've been OOT for TG. It will take me a while to catch up but many congratulations to Kathy on your new grandbaby. She is a very pretty little one. I can say that professionally as I've seen thousands. I'm a maternal child specialist. I've also trained as a lactation consultant.

Some babies are jaundiced at birth because a newborn's liver may not be fully developed, especially with early babies. The liver breaks down bilirubin, a yellow component of red blood cells. Red blood cells are constantly dieing and made anew but it sometimes takes a while for baby's liver to be able to handle the job. We protect the baby's eyes and put them under bili lights for a few days because the lights help with absorption of bilirubin. Years ago nurseries used to be on the south side of the hospital and had a wall of windows. Lots of natural light. Jaundiced babies were placed in bassinets by the windows because natural light has the same effect as the bili lights. If you have a "pumpkin" (bili baby), and they are still a little yellow when they come home, try to include time in a naturally brightly light space. I have had two pumpkins myself.

Okay, this is long, but I wanted to post that some interesting fabric jumped into the car on recent travels. Nothing big mind you. Need to stick to current projects. Some fabric came from the Amish/Mennonite area of PA and some from Virginia's Shenandoah Valley where there are many brethren communities. And I did learn that a quilt project is a hard thing for me to travel with because I'm bad about settin' aside sitten' time.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9344111

Laurel - glad to hear you made it up to PA. Just love those stores.
Need to search for some up in MA. Perhaps the Quilt/Textile Museum in Lowell will be open.. Always seems to be closed when we are up.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9344253

Glad you are back from your Laurel. Sounds like it was a GOOD one!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9344553

Color me green with envy Laurel!! A trip to PA and the quilt shops happens to be on my "bucket list". Now if I can talk my daughter into such a trip.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9344603

Thanks for the info, MPLaurel. She has gained back 5 oz of original weight that she lost, and the jaundice levels are decreasing. She goes back Friday for another checkup. The nurses told Kristen to feed every 2 hrs, so mommy isn't getting much sleep at night. By the time she feeds her, then pumps to bottle some, Bella is up again. She is feeding good, so no problems there.
We're planning a trip to CT in the Spring, I would love to see that textile museum! I like reading books on the old cotton mills and such too, very interesting...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9344632

Baby is looking good!

I would love love to go to those quilt shops too Marion.

Honestly, I could ring my own neck. After all of that stress over the pen and label, I was cleaning this morning and found not one not two but three different fabric markers that would have worked just fine, instead of going out and buying the one I tossed. Even worse, I just came upon a package of quilt labels and I could have used those. I did stumble on two pairs of those little ginger (sp) scissors with the flowers on them, I was jazzed about that.

Totally off subject, I just started getting my Dr. and hospital bills, for which I have 'insurance'. For the last 'episode' I was self pay. Honest to goodness. It was cheaper on self pay than with insurance. The dr. and the hospital charges the insurance co SOOO much more that even only having to pay a percent is more...and the deductable on top of that. Very depressig...and I was so excited to have insurance like a 'real' person. This is not really a complaint, I feel so grateful, but something just aint right ...

Off to do some Gangnam style, for exercise of course tee hee...hope no one has a hidden camera around here. Even Pastor Rick Warren has it as his ring tone, so I guess I can come out of the closet. ;-).
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9344673

Thank you for the welcome home. So good to have landed. Good thing I stayed skinny on the shopping. I had completely forgotten about the many (yes many) garbage bags full of fabric brought home from the Miami trip a few short weeks ago. Mom has been gone fourteen years and I'm still unloading fabric. Every time I open an old trunk or suitcase there is more. The garage has walls of storage drawers and every drawer is stuffed. She had a sewing room crammed full to and she empty nested by filling every spare room closet and furniture with more. Yikes! Don't get me started on the trims and boxes of elastic so old and stored in the Florida heat that they are melted. Discovered a variety of cool old buttons; bone, wood enameled and mother of pearl. Some are hand carved. Would make lovely jewelry.

Jean, went to Zooks and made it to the museum across the street. It's a bit confusing because several places list themselves as having a museum and then there is a site that says the museum has been closed and moved. I think perhaps the museum has been moved because there were no historic quilts there and most were machine made versions with many modern and some traditional patterns. So, I think this is an interim display. We had been there before (my Amish quilt comes from there) and to Zook's, which is fantastic. I couldn't find the old quilting barn that was the best place I'd ever been to. I visited a nice shop, Patchwork Plus in Harrisonberg, VA, on the way home. http://www.patchworkplus-quilting.com/

As for babies and their weight loss after birth, it's nature's way of getting rid of excess fluid, bilirubin, etc.. A weight loss at birth makes for less work on baby's heart. My last baby weighed barely over one pound. When he dipped down below it was scary. He was tube fed only breast milk and I stayed on a pump for six months. He was able to breast feed on his own at three months.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9344740

WOW Laurel, that is incredible and I'll bet it was SCARY!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 28, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9344744

Oh wow, how lucky you are to still have him with you..

Was able to do all the projects I set for myself today..

put 1 rows on Suzanne's rag quilt (she thought it a bit short)
put deer hyde on knitted dickie for godson (it's snowmobile time, wind cannot penetrate the hyde)
made a pocket pin cushion for the couch to include in a gift

an hour to spare, off for a perm tonight then home to relax..wonder if that's possible lol
Perhaps some of you will recognize some of the fabric I've used up..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze         

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9345037

I have no idea how you get so much done Betty.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 28, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9345111

WOW Laurel - lucky indeed to still have him with you - 1 lb?!?! and below that?!?! yikes...
Betty - couldn't really see the fabric...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9345202

It is COLD up here in MA!!!! form 80 in FL to a high of 30 here yesterday. And there were these white things flying around in the air for awhile!!!! Took awhile to get the room warm but now it feels nice in here. Need to go to the restaurant in a bit for our FREE breakfast, but that involves going outside for a bit.

Baby is so tiny but alert and moves her little arms & legs like crazy. I think she will be a marathon runner. 1 month and not even to 8 lbs. She has been switched to formula so she can get more food. Hopefully this does the trick.

DH & I are baby sitting this afternoon so Mom can get a long nap.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9345215

How wonderful for you! I just sent you a dmail! Enjoy the baby - they don't stay that way very long...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9345238

Enjoy your time with the newest member of the family Jean...stay warm. I think we are to get into the 70s today but not sure. Having some bad early morning fog today but should be clearing before long.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9345244

I told Kathleen that we need to read the dictionary to Kayla. We will start with the 1st word & definition & just keep going. WOnder how many years that will take? And we will all learn a thing or 2.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

November 29, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9345252

Funny I had told my granddaughter to read to her baby girl right from the get-go. Doesn't matter what you read it's the voice & words. She would read aloud what ever she was reading even a crochet pattern. Noelle is coming up on two and talks a blue streak.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 29, 2012

Post #9345253

Morning all..

Blizzard last night but nice and crisp this morning, real Christmas Postcard kind of day..especially travelling through the back roads where fields of pine trees have branches covered in snow..the most brilliant of red 'sunrise' sure wish I had a camera..

Pretty well caught up but always worried I am forgetting someone so brought in some fabrics, am hoping to make 2 runner tops that way should I have time in the next week or so, will quilt and put them aside..

Do you do the same, have several pre-wrapped boxes with tags on them and should someone drop in and you think oh/oh you just quickly pen in hand mark their names..lol bet you do!!!

Finishing my Timmies breakfast/coffee and off to sew
what a job/what a job

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 29, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9345256

you are both so lucky to have little ones...miss that!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9345261

I always have a couple small items in gift bags under the tree for the "just in-case" needs. I've also had extra Christmas Cactus "just in case".

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9345274

Oh, thanks Jean, I had forgotten my Christmas cactus...need to check on it today. I noticed tons of buds the other day so I might just have some blooms.

Great idea of keeping extras on hand "just in case". I have a niece that does that but somehow I always forget.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9345282

I like to keep a few extra things on hand too. Usually something live, or something to eat. In the live department, here is something I look forward to every year

http://www.gatorpoinsettia.com

My favorite from last year, a varigated variety, actually made it thru to the year. My orange spice did not . Its the ones they dont sell, and have on display that just make you nuts with wanting them. I guess like daylilies or anything you have hybridyzed, you only start with one and it takes a while to build your stock.

sun today...finally

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 29, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9345283

There is always someone dropping in during festive season and I like to give them something seeing as they made a special effort to share their time with me..

Another thing I've done is purchase cheapest christmas fabric possible, made large bags with pull rope, hand them in the back closet..each bag has a name and throughout the year when you see that something special or gift on sale that you can't resist then put it in their bag, that way you always know exactly what you have on hand for each loved one..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9345298

I'm wondering if I can make it over to the Poinsetta sale. I get back home on the 4th. Maybe I can grab one of my friends to drive over with me. I like "unique" poinsettas.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9345316

Either you ladies will start a new thread or wait for me when I get back on Sunday and I'll see if I can LOAD a picture with a new thread.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9345324

Oh, I don't mind waiting for a new thread, if it means your going to post a picture!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012

Post #9345337

Jean, it is well worth the effort...but, be forewarned take oodles of money. LOL That is the one thing I really miss. Another is in the spring when they have the test gardens open...oh what a wonderful event that is to attend.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9345342

I hear the oodles of money part...its worth it for me just to see them all...well not that I have ever gone home empty handed. lolol
The icing on the cake is that the gator citrus club has their sale the same days and they are right around the corner. I have always gotten excellent fruit, you can taste first. Clearly the weather has alot to do with the citrus, not sure how sweet it will be this year with the warmer weather, Im sure gonna find out tho.

I was gunna start a new thread, but trying to eek out the last few days of Nov. Plus, I cant find the cord to my camera to get a quilting picture on.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 29, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9345469

Sure hope your weather in Florida stays will I've been and gone..can't wait to get into the citrus juice.

Got the 2 runner tops done, 1 already spoken for lol just got to find time to quilt one and put the border on before I leave for Buffalo tomorrow..

Thought I had everything including border fabric but did not bring it along with me..didn't take SIL Suzanne who I work with to tell me there is a large bag of flannel blocks waiting to be put together

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9346125

Does anyone know how to get a joanns VIP card if you dont own a business or are not an interior designer?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9346131

I don't know about the VIP card, but you can join this site for the same discount. 10% off. $25.00 to join per year.

http://www.americanquilter.com/member_resources/
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9346151

all signed up. Its worth it for the magazine, plus it supports the society. Bonus is the VIP card. Thanks
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9346165

I got mine from the JoAnn.com site.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9346169

Now if you are a teacher Pam, you can get their discount card that gives 15% off..even sale items. Atleast Kim's does...oh so nice to take her shopping with me...use their coupons then her teacher discount. Insert huge grin!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9346219

I tried to get one straight from joanns and they wanted my vendors certificate...sales tax exempt form...teacher certificate. Well...I didnt have those :-(.
Nice sunny day...still no rain, but Im gunna go out and clean up the yard a bit, and mow. I know the dr. said no to that, Im going with the odds. The sun alone is just what the dr. ordered...been so gray this week.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 30, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9346234

Interesting, will have to check the link..

brr it's a cold one, 400 series highway was closed due to black ice this morning, guess who is travelling to Buffalo 3- 31/2 hrs drive..sure hope bad weather waits till later before starting..got all the boxes for the workshop at the door, got to get them shipped..was asked to do a favor for a dg friend who is feeling unwell and needed a gift send, was glad I decided to do two runner tops yesterday, was up early, got it quilted, binding on and already in a box for shipping..

shhhh don't tell, elderly Aunt knows I have phones transferred to the house on Friday, she dropped in for a visit, quicker she spoke, quicker thread and needle worked..lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9346543

PP christmas ornaments for "just a little something" need 8. Tedious but lovely

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9346572

quilters club of America has similar offer...

Betty, very nice runners...Helene, just beautiful :)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9346752

Head over to the December thread - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289524/

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9355918

Well, I'm back home for awhile, but it sure isn't the same... missing my little BellaBoo! She has changed so much since she was born, and very strong. At 3 weeks, she's turning herself over in the bassinet and holds her head up. Here's a pic of Bella, the day I left, in her favorite position... and the other is her daddy's favorite outfit.

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo         

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 11, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9355925

Oh I know so well how hard it is to leave a little love behind.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012

Post #9355929

Kathy she is just so very adorable. What sweet pictures...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9355933

VERY cute and I LOVE the combination of denim and roses, just perfect pairing.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9355941

You will need to get your hands on that outfit when she out grows it!!!! make her a little purse, for when she gets a little older...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9355943

good idea Thunder!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9355980

Awe, love those pictures! They sure do grow fast!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 11, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9356010

how very adorable she is! Favourite position, eh? Bet it's Daddy's favourite too!!
Love the denim & roses - so adorable... and they grow up so fast!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9356311

What a beauty!! Isn't it funny how dads prefer the feminine denim items of clothing.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9356331

yep, Mommy likes the 'princess' type frilly dresses, Daddy is more the practical one. Just found her a denim & roses jumper on Ebay, still looking for a holiday dress for pictures. Been to stores here and back in IN, newborn dresses aren't just to be found, unless you want black, and those are few. I did manage to find some sales at Kohl's, a couple knit dresses w/sweaters, but the holiday dresses were more in the larger sizes into 2-4Ts. The pageant type dresses are pretty, just more than what I wanted to pay for this year...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9356338

Hop on over to the Dec thread; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289524/

I found a cute American Girl red coat I was going to get for Kayla but new Mom already had an outfit for her Santa outing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America