-
AuthorContent
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9332300

I have visited this fourm, before, but didn't have any pictures. I am a chicken (Nut ), and felt that a home was not really a home, without chickens. Two other friends were talking around me, about ordering a shipment of chickens.I was ask to join them, to help with shipping, and the order.I did all this, being very secretly, and a little sneeking, but they came on the first Fri., in march, and it was cooler, than I had expected, so I moved them to the back porch, where it was warmer, and muck handier. Just imagine the shock. I want to point out, that I have a very understanding wife, and lucky me, for having her, it sure could be worse.
I have since built two complete chicken tractors, and have given away more eggs, since I started with them, and soon after I got them, DW had to have a knee replacement, this was Apr. I use to tend a large vegie garden, but this year I had to leave it go.DW says it was the chickens, but I says "Driving Miss Daisy ", was more accurate. On the other hand, I have not found time for another thing, like wood working, and Black smithing .I still enjoy my chickens, but did agree with her to get rid of all, but three.I feel like I will be able to do all my activitites next spring, but I agreed to let five hens, and the rooster go, and more certin the rooster. The neighbor who shovels her dog poo, over on my natural area, and scrape all their greese, from the skillet, is the one complainning about the rooster. Always. Mike

Can you imagine this, I'm going up to N.C. to visit my Bro, who has advanced cancer, and my sister's husband has been talking about getting chickens, and just called, and wants me to bring the five give-a-ways to him. He has a place prepaired. Do wonders never seese Mike

This message was edited Nov 13, 2012 5:00 PM

Thumbnail by mqiq77   Thumbnail by mqiq77   Thumbnail by mqiq77
Click an image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 13, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9332556

Welcome back to chicken addiction! Your girls look very happy in the coop and tractor. Sorry to hear that your brother is ill, but what luck to find such a good home for your spare birds!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

November 14, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9332734

Welcome back,chickens are like chips you can`t just have one.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9333030

That is a nice looking chicken tractor! Hope you enjoy your chickens for years to come!
gardenpaw
Brownstown, IN

November 14, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9333128

Hi Mike,So glad to hear you got your chickens back after years of not having them.

The same thing happened here also, I had chickens years ago and something got into the coop and killed everyone of them...I was so upset, they were all named and I could pet all of them so they were really tame.
I told DH that I would`nt have another coop unless it was varmit proof...long story short, this past
spring my son and his wife were getting chicks from the feed store and I just could`nt wait any longer I bought
six chicks and brought them home and kept them in a cardboard box in the house, they were about two
months old and DH built a really nice coop, varmit proof, then I went to an Amish auction and bought
ten silkie babies, we have the coop seperated, the silkies are pretty shy so they all have there own
space.
Your chicken tractors look great!

Karen
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9333148

Thank you all for support, and encouragement.I enjoy my retired time so much, that I don't have enough of it.As far as varmit proof goes, these two pins are varmit proof, except for a wesel, I know it can get through.However, I have incorporated traps, inside the structure, that would catch from racoon, to wesil.I have caught 4 possiums, and 2 racoon.All thaught they were breaking in, to get chickens.
Karen, if an animal got in to kill all, in the coop, it must have been the racoon, because they kill for the spot, I guess.
When possium goes for chicken, it will start eating wher convenient. In my former years of keeping chickens, I once saw a RIR that looked sick, and troubled. I found that her insides were eaten out, and it almost destroyed me, I'm not the killing type, but I had to put her down.
Where pets are concerned, all mine are pets, and one RIR will get in my truck, or the 4 wheeler, caus she knows treats will follow.My wife even likes Mable, because when I sit on the bench, and she is out, she will get next to me hoping for special treatment. Mike
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9340776

I now have three RIR hens, and no rooster. I gave 2 rir, a buff orphington rooster, and hen, and a barrard rock to my bro.-in-law. He is having the times of his life, and has them in a insulated building, with all the comforts you can imagine.He says he sits out there, and talks with them. He is 86 y.o., and is like a very responsible child with the chickens. He wants to raise baby chicks. i think all men go through different phases of childhood. Mike
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 23, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9340785

"Go through different phases of childhood" yes, but do they ever grow up?
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #9341053

Lets hope not. Mike
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9341075

do they ever grow up?

No.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9343825

I sure enjoy my chickens.

Your chicken coops look awesome. Congrats.
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9344388

Thank you, I'm a wantabe wood worker.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9351634

Skunks will kill for the sake of killing. I have no chickens now because a skunk killed my whole flock in 2 nights. I will start over in Spring. I am glad you were able to get back to "chicken farming". It is very soothing.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

December 7, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9351981

I have four night eyes and night gurards up and I am here to say they work.I have lots of skunks and racoons.you can see where the skunks tear up the lawn come late summer and fall looking for grubs but they stay at least 20 yeards away from the coops.Have had them up for two years now.They are $20.00 a piece and sometimes you can get free shipping.I bought two one year and two the next.They are solar and have had no trouble with them
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9352108

Green, where did you get the night eyes? I'm interested in them...
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

December 7, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9352194

I seen the add in backyard poultry.If you google it you will come up with them.I get mine from randel burkey.If you sign up for their emails they have freen shiping on some holidays. For nite eyes this is the number 800-889-0870 and the website is http://www.solarniteeyes.com
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9352252

Thanks a bunch. I've seen them through dealers or re-sellers but did not realize they sold direct. I ordered as a Christmas present to the goats. We lock them up at night, but they will be bred soon and baby goats are pretty tempting to coyotes! If they work out (and I think they will) then I will get more for around the chicken coop!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9352582

Is it a light?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 7, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9352593

Cajun check the link, it is pretty clever.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9353249

I'll give it a look see.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

December 9, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9353461

Yes its a blinking red light,you put it at the hight that the varmits eyes would be,mine is low to the ground for the coons and skunks
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9366182

Merry Christmas, chicken growers, hope the best for you this comming year.I kept out 3 chickens, and gave my bro-in law 5, that I had, and had them getting use to being turned out to forage.I now have 2 hens, because my next door neighbor called me to inform me of his dog bringing one over.
Now these neighbors are the most GOOD people you can find, but something is missing.They have a perfecly layed out back yard fence, with more than enough room for a dog. The son of the woman came over to make amends, and I told him that sometimes things like these happen.I told him they are my pets, and why was his dog running loose.He told me that his mother wants the dog to get exercise, and run trucks up, and down the road.He also said that he beat the dog, with a broom handle, and was going back, and beat him with a 2x4.
Any body else live near people like this? Mike
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 24, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9366224

I have several rather red-necked neighbors - a little like yours. Poor dog!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9368270

Yesssss, poor dog! I hat hearing about stuff like this.

We had some real problems with very nice neighbors across the road who thought their free range Great Danes (around fifteen of them) were really just trying to protect us as part of their family. They were wreaking havoc with the local cows and chickens. I hadn't seen them for about a year now and I thought it was due to my DH putting up electric fencing and the rancher behind us shot one of them. But just found out another neighbor was having the same problems with these same neighbors (good people, foolish with dogs). Turns out the dogs had been bothering his goats but he has guardian dogs so there was only really problems along the fence lines. Then the Danes jumped the fence and killed the daughters' two 4-H calves. Threaghts were made involving guns. The Great Dane herd has been trimmed down to three--I believe. The things you find out at Christmas parties =8~0. Anyway, now we only have to wory about the other neighbor's free range show Sharpeis (sp?).

mqiq77, I think I would "rescue" that dog and find a no kill shelter to take him in. Sounds like they wouldn't miss him and he would find a much better home.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9368844

I have to say first that I have good, responsible neighbors who are "rednecks". But, I do have a neighbor such as you are describing. He is well-to-do, educated, and seemed quite nice when I approached him. I let him know that his dogs (little dogs, nothing scary) had been climbing thru my fence, bothering my chickens. He was less than helpful. Told me in a very friendly way that if his dogs were going after my chickens to "thump em". Well, I didn't think it was my place to discipline his dogs. Apparently, neither did he. "Thump" means shoot.

I didn't.
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
9:07 PM

Post #9372859

I once was a dog person, and my weimarainer, was as well trained, and showed manners.She knew the border, and stayed on her property. The neighbor in question wanted to buy that bread, because mine was so well trained. Does anyone know how much time you put in a hyper dog, like that, to accomplish the training necessary for that bread to just stay off the ceiling ?
The neighbor came over with an apple pie, witch hismother made, and a $20. gift certificate. I looked at him, and said, " I'll soon be 71 YO, and I'm just now finding how much a RIR chicken is worth" Would you believe it went striegth over his head. He ment well. Mike
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9416552

I'm jumping back into eggs again myself, after about a 20 year hiatus. When we last ran chickens, I used sawdust for bedding, which was very dusty but free. This is no longer available. What have you used effectively? My new coop has a 4x8 footprint and I plan to first lay down some vinyl flooring before adding whatever I end up using for bedding.

Also, has anyone used those new fangled light sensitive chicken doors with any success? I'd like to get my birds rigged up to be left overnight on occasion without having to ask a neighbor to let them in and out (if possible).

Thanks for any tips or insight.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9416654

I'd be interested in learning about the light sensitive door, as well.
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9417281

Thats a new one on me, if it is what I imagine, it would take all the work out of my chicken business.I let my two RIR out in the morning, and close the door, after dark. They come into the pin, to lay eggs, and have free range of the property. NICE !! Mike

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America