Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Computer Talk: browser: Firefox or what?

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 14, Views: 217
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9332372

I've been using FF since Dave suggested it back in 2008? Seems like forever ago. I had been having a lot of problems with worms/viruses and FF got rid of everything. I had XP and a laptop I adored and everything was groovy after I switched from IE to FF. Plus I like that it's freeware.

Past few years I got a different laptop (DH dropped my baby on the floor). New computer has 64 bits and Windows 7. I've been muddling along, but Adobe Flash Player and Firefox really do not get along at all. FF wants me to go back to an older version of Adobe; Adobe wants me to go back to IE. DH suggests Chrome! Suggestions? I can't find an old Adobe, and I got tricked into downloading the latest Adobde to register some new software which could only be done on IE!!! Now I can't see any sites the right way (you tube, news videos, etc). Grrrrr.
Ithiel
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9332682

I personally prefer Firefox, but Chrome is pretty good too. IE has come a long way as well, but still not up to par in my opinion, it just isn't given enough attention my Microsoft.

Lately, I haven't had any trouble with Firefox or Adobe Flash. Do you have the latest version of both Firefox and Adobe Flash? I know Flash and Firefox are notorious for having a bad relationship but in recent years those problems seem to have cleared up a lot.

I have both the latest versions installed and have no problems. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 too, so I'm interested to hear if you have the latest versions installed also.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9332958

When I have the latest (Adobe 11.6 I think and FF 16.0.1 they just DON"T get along. I can't play videos and I get that sad-face saying "your flash drive crashed. Do you want me to send an error report?" I feel like I'm finally getting to a point where I can function with Win7 without wanting to pull my hair out all the time. (I was so happy with XP.) I would prefer not to have to learn a new OS (ie I don't want to switch to Chrome). Other advice?
Ithiel
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9333710

Try uninstalling your current flash player:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Then download this zip file and extract it somewhere you can find it:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_11.4.402.287_archive.zip

Once it's been downloaded and extracted, open the folder and find the "11_4_r402_287" folder (the one without _debug at the end) and there should be multiple files in there. Find the one named simply "flashplayer11_4r402_287_win", there probably will be two and either of them will work I think. Once you open that file, the installer should guide you the rest of the way.

Hopefully this helps.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9333732

Joy!

I'll try! Thanks.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9333751

I think it worked! This problem has plagued forever -- how can I ever thank you enough? Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!
Ithiel
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9334465

No problem! Glad to help you out. :)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9335557

Adobe Flash player started crashing again after the computer did an automatic restart! Maybe whatever I did on the 15th didn't totally take effect until it restarted -- anyway, I'm back in the same pickle. :(
Ithiel
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9335938

Hmmm, is there any chance that the flash updated again? Or is it still the older version?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9336255

Maybe the automatic restart a few days ago updated the flash drive. I always say "yes" to updates because I was told that you're supposed to. Should I redo what I did, above?
Ithiel
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9338111

Try it, it couldn't hurt. Sorry for the slow reply, I was out of town.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9338135

Haven't had a chance to try it until (I hope) today, but this thing is driving me nuts!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9453985

Thank you, lthiel, I just repeated the whole process--and this time I knew where to go!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9643245

My goodness, I'm not sure why I have to un-install and re-install adobe once every few months--but I'm glad I know where these instructions are! Eternally grateful.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9643355

Oh, I take it back. Uninstalled Adobe, re-installed Adobe, and it's still not working.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America