browser: Firefox or what?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've been using FF since Dave suggested it back in 2008? Seems like forever ago. I had been having a lot of problems with worms/viruses and FF got rid of everything. I had XP and a laptop I adored and everything was groovy after I switched from IE to FF. Plus I like that it's freeware.

Past few years I got a different laptop (DH dropped my baby on the floor). New computer has 64 bits and Windows 7. I've been muddling along, but Adobe Flash Player and Firefox really do not get along at all. FF wants me to go back to an older version of Adobe; Adobe wants me to go back to IE. DH suggests Chrome! Suggestions? I can't find an old Adobe, and I got tricked into downloading the latest Adobde to register some new software which could only be done on IE!!! Now I can't see any sites the right way (you tube, news videos, etc). Grrrrr.

Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6b)

I personally prefer Firefox, but Chrome is pretty good too. IE has come a long way as well, but still not up to par in my opinion, it just isn't given enough attention my Microsoft.

Lately, I haven't had any trouble with Firefox or Adobe Flash. Do you have the latest version of both Firefox and Adobe Flash? I know Flash and Firefox are notorious for having a bad relationship but in recent years those problems seem to have cleared up a lot.

I have both the latest versions installed and have no problems. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 too, so I'm interested to hear if you have the latest versions installed also.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

When I have the latest (Adobe 11.6 I think and FF 16.0.1 they just DON"T get along. I can't play videos and I get that sad-face saying "your flash drive crashed. Do you want me to send an error report?" I feel like I'm finally getting to a point where I can function with Win7 without wanting to pull my hair out all the time. (I was so happy with XP.) I would prefer not to have to learn a new OS (ie I don't want to switch to Chrome). Other advice?

Try uninstalling your current flash player:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Then download this zip file and extract it somewhere you can find it:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_11.4.402.287_archive.zip

Once it's been downloaded and extracted, open the folder and find the "11_4_r402_287" folder (the one without _debug at the end) and there should be multiple files in there. Find the one named simply "flashplayer11_4r402_287_win", there probably will be two and either of them will work I think. Once you open that file, the installer should guide you the rest of the way.

Hopefully this helps.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Joy!

I'll try! Thanks.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I think it worked! This problem has plagued forever -- how can I ever thank you enough? Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

No problem! Glad to help you out. :)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Adobe Flash player started crashing again after the computer did an automatic restart! Maybe whatever I did on the 15th didn't totally take effect until it restarted -- anyway, I'm back in the same pickle. :(

Hmmm, is there any chance that the flash updated again? Or is it still the older version?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Maybe the automatic restart a few days ago updated the flash drive. I always say "yes" to updates because I was told that you're supposed to. Should I redo what I did, above?

Try it, it couldn't hurt. Sorry for the slow reply, I was out of town.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Haven't had a chance to try it until (I hope) today, but this thing is driving me nuts!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank you, lthiel, I just repeated the whole process--and this time I knew where to go!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My goodness, I'm not sure why I have to un-install and re-install adobe once every few months--but I'm glad I know where these instructions are! Eternally grateful.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I take it back. Uninstalled Adobe, re-installed Adobe, and it's still not working.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images