Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tomatoes: Special magic tomato seeds from Rome

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 41, Views: 543
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 13, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9332406

My daughter swears by them. Hot off the air from la Bella Paese

Who knows?

If they produce I promise to share seeds.

And they're off!

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DoGooder
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9332420

flyboyFL, those tomatoes have an interesting dark color. I hope the plants are bountiful. In Feng Shui they say different sides of the house have different energies every year. The south side of the home is a place for great harvests next year, so maybe you can plant the tomatoes there.

DoGooder

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 13, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9332535

DoGooder~

That poses a problem. My home does not have a "south" side.

My choice is limited to "southeast" or "southwest."

But I think that I am already locked in because the "southeast" side already has the "running" (tidal) water adjacent to it.

And, by the way, how do you manage he fact that the whole world already knows that you live exactly 26.2 miles from Copley Square?

Be well

(o_O)
GrowingNVegas
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9332539

Well by my calculations SE and SW both fit into the South Feng Shui. Hooray!
DoGooder
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9332672

flyboyFL, yes Feng Shui poses problems for me too. Our South garden is mostly shady, so I'm hesitant to grow tomatoes there next year. Regarding Copley Square, it's a nice place that has a farmer's market during the warm season. No one has mentioned my proximity to Copley Square, and I guess outside MA not many people know about it.

DoGooder

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 14, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9332917

Growing

Thank you, that is a load off my mind.

and. DoGooder

I guess that's going to be our little secret.

Be well

(0-0)

This message was edited Nov 14, 2012 12:53 PM
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9333073

Those are pretty cool looking. Are you growing them this winter?

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 14, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9333120

terri~

Yes, ma'am:

There are three "magic" seeds luxuriating in each of the three red cups, above.

I will post a photo when any hatch.

Be well

(o_O)
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9333632

Do Good:
There is a children's clinic in a neighboring town which must harbor a Feng Shui addict. Every side of their house is painted a different color! Now perhaps we could induce those energies to inhabit our tomatoes by painting each side of their cages a different color?

Flyboy:
I tried looking up that variety in DG plant files. They list a "Red Pomodoro" but a comment says it is heavily ribbed and the package pic doesn't show that, so that must not be your seeds.
DoGooder
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9333722

DonShirer, the children's clinic owners might have colored each side of the building a different color for feng shui, but the energies move their location every year:

http://buy-fengshui.com/articles-flying-star-feng-shui-2013.php

...so they would have to paint the walls every year to enhance the Flying Star energies. I think the owners probably were trying to make the building look like a childrens' building block. So the color of the tomato cage should suit the location. For example, the water star is in the North section of the house next year, so if tomatoes are planted in the North one could paint the cage white which symbolizes metal which feng shui experts say creates water, or black, the feng shui color for water.

DoGooder

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 15, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9334030

Don~

PomoDoro = Gold Apple = tomato

The name on the package is Tondo Nero = Round Black.

That is about my limit in Italian.

Be well

(o_O)
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9334524

fly
     I had tried a search on "Tondo Nero" and got dozens of references to radishes and wines, but the only tomato link I found was to a seed swap, and gave no details on that variety. I guess you're going to have to give us the scoop when they grow out.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 16, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9334682

Hang in there and pray for good weather.

Be well

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 16, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9334802

Now you know everything I know about these magic seeds,

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 17, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9335636

Stand back.

Three seeds have already sprouted. (Out of nine -- so we're batting 333, so far.)

Can you spot them?

WOW

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9337187

Very cool!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 19, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9337242

Very cold, too.

Last night it was in the 50's

Be well -- and warm

(o_O)
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9337437

Don't know too much about Fung Shui or whatever, but I am mighty curious about how your tomatoes are doing! Carolyn, who is our wonderful tomato lady, has had problems with her computer. I am sure she would know something about this variety.
Here in Montreal, it's cold!!!!!! I can only dream about my seeds!
Sharon

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 19, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9337574

hugobee~

When I think of Montreeal I think of "smoked meat." Is it still as delicious as I remember?

It is cold here, too. Mid-50's tonight. So my "Tondo nero" seeds are back in the garage, getting a little warmth and rest. They'll be back out in the sunshine tomorrow.

I am proud to reort that another one has sprouted, so they seem to be doing just fine.

Sorry to hear about Carolyn's computer bugs. She really is the "Tomato doyenne" of Dave's Garden.

So, be warm -- keep the "Montreal Express" back above the border.

(o_O)

This message was edited Nov 19, 2012 9:45 PM

This message was edited Nov 20, 2012 2:06 PM
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9340001

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I should be making a turkey, being an American from good old Syracuse, NY, but my house is under reno's so will have to wait till Christmas for the bird!
Yes, the smoked meat is still delicious. Always a debate about who has the best - Lester's or Schwartz's. Plus we do have really great bagels here too. Actually, there is a lot of good food going on in Montreal. It's just too bad it gets so cold! Today was a nice day - actually fairly mild.
Don't stuff yourself, haha!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 22, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9340033

I find that turkey is like eggplant.

If only it tasted as good as it looks. After a few slices the rest of it winds up as turkey salad or tetrazzini.

It is the side "comfort food" that really hits the spot.

The only real turkey extravaganza we ever had was when our daughter took her junior year in London. We brought a giant cooked one over in the overhead bin -- for her and her friend classmates. We lived in Boston -- so it really was a short hop. Pity the other passengers who had stowed their coats nearby.

So far -- we do have a great deal to be Thankful for.

Be well

(o_O)

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9340107

For REALLY tender and moist turkey breast, I use a combination of two techniques. The first step is to chop celery, onions and apples into coarse chunks (1/2" to 1"), mix with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and a stick of butter also chopped into small pieces. Fill the body cavity and neck cavity with the mixture. Pin closed with wooden toothpicks if skin allows. The second step is to place the bird on the roasting rack upside down, with the breast meat in the rack and the back up. Dry the skin with paper towels, then rub with more butter. Sprinkle with coarse salt, pepper, and your favorite seasoning mix. Any extra chopped mix can be distributed in the roasting pan around the turkey. Cook covered until breast meat reads at least155 degrees with an instant-read thermometer, remove from the oven and allow to rest. The turkey will continue to cook to reach the safe temperature of 165 and juices redistribute. If you keep in oven until the breast reaches 165, then the turkey will overheat and dry out.

David

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 22, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9340130

David~

You've got it -- by gosh you've got it. (With apologies to "My Fair Lady.")

I don't know about the stuffing -- maybe next time. We keep the stuffing separate. But, removing the bird at 155 degrees is the magic secret. It does keep cooking! Our mistake, today, was using a pop-out thermometer -- programmed for 165..

Live and learn.

Be well

(o_O)
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

November 22, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9340186

FLASH:

Butternut squash makes the best Pumpkin Pie. I had an abundance of BN squash this year, so I asked Linda to use some in place of pumpkin for TG dinner. Usual spices, of course, and it was by far the best Pumpkin pie i have ever had. The texture was much better, and i am not sure if that was because of the difference in texture between home cooked and Canned, but for whatever reason, it was wonderful.

Ernie

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9340256

The apples, onions, and celery aren't eaten. They provide mosture and flavor. We cook our stucfing/dressing separately too.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 23, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9340466

Now that we have the male gardeners involved with food and cooking -- maybe we could use this thread (while thhe Tondo Nero are growing) to put forth some of the secrets we use (when our Dear Dear Wives allow us into the cooking mystique).

We guys should claim a little more credit for, and get more involved with, what we eat. (If we get the courage.)

Personally, I get embarrassed when it takes me so long when having to pick grapes or a melon or a roasted chicken or a steak off of the supermarket counter. Contrariwise, the ladies quickly just make their choices and move on. They do not have to prove to their husbands that they made the best choice. It is unfair!

Any volunteers?

(o_O)
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9340712

Okay, not to be unfair, but my DH has bought many an item, and I had to bite my tongue because it wasn't fresh enough or ripe enough or too ripe - he gets his feelings hurt easily. SOOOO! What can I say?
Regarding turkey, I have been dry brining mine - kosher salt and chopped herbs in an oven bag at least overnight, then rinse it off and cook! Makes a crispy, brown skin and juicy turkey. I don't usually take mine out at 155 deg. - I'm always too worried about samonella...
As for breast side - I've done that, but its a bugger flipping it over afterwards, especially if it's a big bird. I also stuff it with onions, carrots and celery. Always do the stuffing on the side.
Love turkey, but only in small doses. It's one of those "too much of a good thing" kind of food.
Hope you all had a good one!
Sharon

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 15, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9359009

It's been cold -- and I have been away, up North. Getting the usual head cold from friends, relatives and co-passengers on Jet Blue.

But, we are finally off!

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 15, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9359227

http://www.google.com/#q=pomodoro tondo nero&hl=en&tbo=d&ei=M_fMUImfGdCr0AGer4Fo&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=4cb8b13d38ba68b9&bpcl=39967673&biw=1031&bih=376

Above from a Google search, but I already knew that a black cherry was developed in Italy. What I don't remember is if it's an F1 hybrid, or not, but see the one reference from Franchi to an F1 Tondo Nero.

Yes, I've been off line for almost three weeks, just got my new computer a week ago yesterday and it's all so different from my previous one which went down with a bad transister, which my computerr man and friend had warned me about a year ago last Fall. When I went back online there were 365 e-mails and lots of PM's to deal with, which I'm still trying to do.

Wayne was right about my computer, I just didn't listen to him. LOL

Carolyn

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 15, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9359307

Carolyn:

The link disn't work -- but i went exploring.

I found this site: http://albertocane.blogspot.com/2008/07/pomodoro-nero-ma-quale-novit.html

Look what i got translated from the Italian: Bing did it!

From several days runs on a News Network that is peddled as an absolute novelty. They recovered paper newspapers sites and also blogs very beds, last night in the newscast of eight has also fired the Tg5. The fact would be that professor Anant Perata della Scuola superiore Sant'Anna di Pisa was obtained after a black tomato hybridizations. The first Tomato black history.It so happens that the friend Seve, who had been at the annual event at Royal greenhouses of Racconigi where you can find unusual plants, I had brought four black tomato seedlings. Paul planted them in my garden and came out as black tomatoes like the ones you see in the PIC above. Very tasty but had a defect, just collected it retained firm only for a day or two, then rammollivano. So this year we planted them. Damn I photographed them. Some people saw them several elderly told me that were once prevalent then had lost, as they say, the seed. In fact here I readFrom the picture seem derived from black tomato, old varieties that had disappeared from the market for 40 years. Are again the black tomato seeds from seed savers and quality Ingegnoli.And hereIt is a native of Crimean tomato, some years you can find selections even in Italy. The company Milan he sells Ingegnoli seeds. Its dark color confirms a good amount of antioxidants; the most important is lycopene, which appears to have an active prevention against various types of cancer, particularly against those of human prostate (already established) and that of the breast for womenIt would be interesting to know from professor Perata who has done this hybrid as a stunning result, "headlines the Tirreno" black tomato, Elixir of youth ", and if this variety has substances that other don't have. So to give appropriate weight to things and even science to be such that it doesn't need sensationalism.

Hope I luck out.

Be well

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 15, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9359310

Here is another site: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http://www.semilandia.it/product_info.php?products_id=2263

This is actually the variety I have planted.

And this is what it says, translated, again, by BING

Description

Excellent variety of dark red colour tending to "black". The berries are cherry and the plant produces throughout the summer many fruits rich in anthocyanins, which, as is well known, given the strong antioxidant, contrasting the formation of free radicals and slow down the aging process.
The fruits are delicious with a sweet and rich.

Sowing: March-June
Harvest: October-November

Be well

(o_O)

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 15, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9359453

I just went back and clicked on the Google link I gave and it worked just fine for me and one of the first links is accompanied by pictures of the variety that you yourself showed viz, the same packaging.

So as long as I can see it, and hopefully others, I don't think I need to go fetch it again.

It must be the "magic" with this new computer software that I have, or it needs cookies I have and you don't, or the reverse. LOL

Carolyn

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 16, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9359794

Not a problem.

We are definitely in sync.

Be well

(o_O)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9360525

That "black" cherry sounds so interresting, flyboyFL. Hope Franchi or another will make it available to US market soon...

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 17, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9360805

Don't hurry until I manage to eat some of its fruit.

If it is a success I will be happy to spread some seeds around.

Be well

(o_O)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9361335

LOL! Johny Tomato Seed?

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 18, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9361359

It'd be my pleasure.

These little guys are racing against Jack Frost.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9361365

They're so cute at that age!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 9, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9412965

Finally -- but waiting for the color to change.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9416502

The photo is ALMOST good enough for me on this chilly, rainy morning in NE Texas. Not that I'm complaining about rain or anything...

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 25, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9430910

No red. How black will it get?

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 28, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9434409

I think that the are ripe for picking. They look like the envelope.

And this is how they compare in size to the Campair's

Tasting set for lunchtime.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL   Thumbnail by flyboyFL         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America