Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Is My Alocasia Leaf Confused?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9332463

What is up with my Alocasia Mayan Mask leaf? I have been growing it indoors for about a month now and the center leaf keeps going up and down. It starts going up around 6pm and by 10pm, it is pointing straight up. The next morning, it is still straight up, but by around noon, it slowly starts descending lol It's weird.

1st pic: The middle leaf is flat
2nd pic: It begins ascending
3rd pic: Pointing straight up

None of the other leaves change, so what is up with this one?

Thumbnail by SavvyDaze   Thumbnail by SavvyDaze   Thumbnail by SavvyDaze
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9332811

If I remember correctly, some plants do that as a means of trapping dew/condensation over the course of the evening and channeling the moisture down to the roots by tipping and letting the dew run down the stem.
SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9332864

I take it that's a good thing, Moon? :-)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9332874

Yes Ma'am...it is a survival technique...it helps the plant survive when water is scarce.
SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9333333

Hmmm, guess the leaf knew I was talking about her cause she has stayed pointing up all day long! Don't know if this is a factor but...this leaf is about to give birth to a new leaf. My teen son joked with me and said the up and down motion of the leaf was it having contractions ha ha

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9333449

LOL...maybe so...who knows what our plants do when they think we aren't watching...grin
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 18, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9336375

It could also be a temperature thing too as the plants are very close to a glass window, when I have plants inside I give them a mist every few days as these plants don't really like a dry heated indoor situation so it's up to us to try replicate the conditions they require, these plants don't like dry soil either but NOT sitting in wet soil so it's finding a happy middle ground.
Good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America