Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Help with Shorebirds and a Sparrow, Please

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9332787

These images were taken yesterday (13 Nov 2012) at Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge - on the Texas Gulf Coast. There are some freshwater ponds in the Refuge, but some of the water is brackish. I'm not sure about these ponds.

1 Sanderling?
2. I don't know
3. I don't know
4. Are the ducks marked correctly? I also see Greenwing Teal, White Ibis, American Avocet, Northern Shoveler (maybe) and American Wigeon (maybe)
5. Chipping Sparrow?

Patti

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9332894

I'll leave the shorebirds and ducks to another, but yes that is a Chipping Sparrow. So that's where our little fellows went! :)

The black line going from the bill through the eye is a good identifier for the Chipping.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9332900

Thanks Chilly! And thanks for the ID tip. Much appreciated.
Patti
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9332942

you Pintail looks like a Wood Duck Drake to me
Yes Northern Shoverler
behind the front row of ducks the fartherest out in water toward middle kind of looks like a Scaup hen(white around bill)

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9332951

#1 - probably a Western Sandpiper - best to catch them with their bills out of the water if possible ;-)

#2 - Dunlin

#3 - Least Sandpiper

#4 - Mostly GW Teal; one Pintail, two Redhead (m & f), and in the front row, at least 2 Blue-w Teal (just right of the r.h. White Ibis) and at least 1 Shoveler (near-front far right).

#5 - ditto

Resin

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9333198

Thanks Donna. I cropped in closer to the pintail - pin isn't developed yet, but you can see the white streaks on the head clearly. Not sure about which one might be scaup.

Resin, Thanks. I looked and don't have that bird with bill out of water. I was way off on 2 and 3. Shorebirds are still a mystery to me.

On the closer crop, is the one I marked the one you are calling the Redhead hen?

That brings up another question ... What is the duck in photos 2 and 3 here. Same duck flying and landing.

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9333293

Yep, that's the female Redhead. The new ducks are Gadwall - the small white patch is a good pointer (though some diving ducks also have white wing patches too), and the males being mostly grey.

Resin

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9333314

Okay! At least I got the flying Gadwall right. I mistakenly thought that the duck you have ID'd as the female Redhead was a Gadwall.

Thanks much, Resin!

Patti

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America