-
AuthorContent
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9332787

These images were taken yesterday (13 Nov 2012) at Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge - on the Texas Gulf Coast. There are some freshwater ponds in the Refuge, but some of the water is brackish. I'm not sure about these ponds.

1 Sanderling?
2. I don't know
3. I don't know
4. Are the ducks marked correctly? I also see Greenwing Teal, White Ibis, American Avocet, Northern Shoveler (maybe) and American Wigeon (maybe)
5. Chipping Sparrow?

Patti

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 4a)

November 14, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9332894

I'll leave the shorebirds and ducks to another, but yes that is a Chipping Sparrow. So that's where our little fellows went! :)

The black line going from the bill through the eye is a good identifier for the Chipping.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9332900

Thanks Chilly! And thanks for the ID tip. Much appreciated.
Patti
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9332942

you Pintail looks like a Wood Duck Drake to me
Yes Northern Shoverler
behind the front row of ducks the fartherest out in water toward middle kind of looks like a Scaup hen(white around bill)

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9332951

#1 - probably a Western Sandpiper - best to catch them with their bills out of the water if possible ;-)

#2 - Dunlin

#3 - Least Sandpiper

#4 - Mostly GW Teal; one Pintail, two Redhead (m & f), and in the front row, at least 2 Blue-w Teal (just right of the r.h. White Ibis) and at least 1 Shoveler (near-front far right).

#5 - ditto

Resin
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9333198

Thanks Donna. I cropped in closer to the pintail - pin isn't developed yet, but you can see the white streaks on the head clearly. Not sure about which one might be scaup.

Resin, Thanks. I looked and don't have that bird with bill out of water. I was way off on 2 and 3. Shorebirds are still a mystery to me.

On the closer crop, is the one I marked the one you are calling the Redhead hen?

That brings up another question ... What is the duck in photos 2 and 3 here. Same duck flying and landing.

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9333293

Yep, that's the female Redhead. The new ducks are Gadwall - the small white patch is a good pointer (though some diving ducks also have white wing patches too), and the males being mostly grey.

Resin
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9333314

Okay! At least I got the flying Gadwall right. I mistakenly thought that the duck you have ID'd as the female Redhead was a Gadwall.

Thanks much, Resin!

Patti

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America