CLOSED: More mostly shorebird help, please

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Got these at the same place as my last thread, also got them on 13 Nov 2012

1 and 2 - Dowitchers maybe? If they are, any way to tell which. I was too far away and there were way too many birds to hear their sound - not that I would have known what I was hearing anyway. ^_^
3 and 4 - ?
5 - Best of the horrible photos of this bird. Cropped severely. Am Pipit?

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

1-4 all look like Dowitchers-GUESSING Short-billed

5 looks good for a dark American Pipit

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Ned. There were a lot of these birds that looked like Dowitchers to me out there and they would raise a racket and jump up and fly whenever this Northern Harrier would do a low flyover. But, so did all of the other jillions of shorebirds out there, so I couldn't pick out the sounds. I was leaning toward Short-billed since it the bill is relatively short, but book says that's unreliable, so ??? I don't know. I appreciate the help.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd suspect more likely Long-billed, given the freshwater habitat. But, . . . who knows! Well I guess they know themselves, but aren't letting on.

Nice harrier!

Resin

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Resin, LOL. Well kept secret, then. Thanks for comment on harrier. They were out in force and putting on quite a show.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.