Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Watching: Daily Bird Pics (and conversation) #447

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 116, Views: 1,433
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9333181

Great pictures on that last one everyone. You can see them all here-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285041/

Think I'll start off with a cooper's hawk that I had the privilege of releasing back to the wild yesterday. Our local vet has taken over as the wildlife rescue center too and she calls me when the birds are ready to be released back at the site where they were picked up for various reasons. So far it's been two hawks and a long-earred owl which took off so fast when my hubbie opened the cage that I didn't even get to see anything but brown feathers. Here's a couple photos of the cooper's.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9333186

I forgot to add that our vet wasn't sure what happened to this particular hawk because she normally does the doctoring on the birds and then sends them out of town to a rehabilitation center outside of our town to get well. Once the bird is recovered, the rehab center calls her to come pick it up and release it.

Congratulations to everyone that participated in the photo contest. There sure were some beautiful photos this year.

Continuing, here's a white pelican, a dark-eyed junco and a northern flicker.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2012 10:20 PM

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln      

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9333327

Exceptional photos, duc. Fantastic clarity. And, lucky you to get close up opportunities as the rescued birds are being released. Nothing beats close up ...
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

November 14, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9333440

Wow duc, those are amazing!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 14, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9333455

Fantastic shots, duc, and what a privilege to be there for the release of the birds following rehab.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9333856

Gorgeous duc!!

Crow enjoying the suet...

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9334033

Thank you Duc for the new thread, Cooper hawks are some striking birds but I do prefer your intergrated Northern Flickers. Thank you Resin on the i.d. of the YBSS from the previous thread. Those mid-size woodpeckers seem to be fond of the dogwoods' berries, Northern Flickers too enjoy those berries this time of year. Here are a few photos to share;

Northern Flicker's hanging on the limbs for dogwood berries;

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9334075

It has been more than a little bit since I've participated in one of the Daily threads. I tend to get overwhelmed with online stuff, so back off a bit from various sites.

Those are beautiful shots, Duc. What an experience to be able to release the hawks. The closest we've done is transporting a Cooper's to a rehabber from a vet in town. We didn't get a good look at it because it was in a box and it was dark out. They suspect it hit a window and was released the next day.

Nanny, do you have crows visiting every day? There are a few out our way, but they've never come near the house.

Lily, very nice Flicker. We haven't seen any since summer. I miss them since they were such regular visitors then.

We're still busy watching the birds at home and away, but home is always my favorite place. :)
The first is an away bird- we never get Chickadees here. We get some amazing birds, but never these guys.
The second is a bird that got him/herself into a predicament and needed my assistance. I had my son take a quick picture before I let this Harris's sparrow go. Those birds are too curious for their own good. I didn't know if I had a biter, so I put a glove on first. But it was a docile little thing; I hoped it learned to stay out of trouble. .

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean         

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

November 15, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9334324

Duc, thanks for starting the new thread.
Those Crow are quite intelligent! I saw one manipulate the suet cage, to get to the goodies inside. Good shot Nanny!
Lily_love nice setting for the Flicker pic.
Congrat on getting the BC Chickadee at your feeder, Chillly. And hope that little Sparrow learned a lesson. He was fortunate to have you around that's for sure.

A few Grosbeak, Pine GB, Evening GB,
A Grackle decided to brave the winter here.
A Mourning Dove resting in the tree,
And the Redpolls have arrived!!!

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9334478

Yay Redpolls!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

November 16, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9334554

lol, yes,yay happy danse here, Mrs_ ED

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9334569

Chillybean, yes our crows are here everyday!

Keep hoping this will be my year for a redpoll and an evening grosbeak!! lol

Gold Finch & Tufted Titmouse

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56         

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9334578

Chillybean, I'd be glad to send you some of those Flickers, they're lovely birds. Nan, I would love to see some Goldfinches around here, but haven't lately. Burn, love your various Grosbeaks, the only kind I saw every so often are the Rosebreasted. Guess I'm too far South to ever get to see the Redpolls? I'd so love to see one.

I was glad to have found a male Eastern Towhee this morning but no pix. I begun to recognize some of the birds' call, and the Towhee is one I can identify. That makes me happy.

Here is a male Northern Cardinal hiding behind the suet. Then my fav. ducks a Mallards couple.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9334740

Nanny, great shot of your crow. Mine love the suet too but they're particular where the suet cake is-if it's hanging from a pole, they don't touch it, but if it's on the fence where they can stand and eat, they'll devour it. They have me trained-one cake for them, one for the other birds-hanging.lol Loved your pictures of the goldfinces and titmouse too-so cute.

Lily, that flicker in the dogwood is just beautiful. I didn't realize they had that many berries on them. Glad you're enjoying the cardinals and the mallard pair too.

Chilly, love your little chickadee and that sparrow was very lucky. Glad it made it.

Burn, love those grosbeaks and that grackle is so beautiful. Congrats on the gorgeous redpolls arriving.

I had a new life bird fly up to this tree as I was photographing a downy woodpecker. It's a townsend's warbler. It was pretty far away but I managed to get a couple photos of it.
Here's one of several black phoebes that are enjoying the fruit in my neighbors yard.
Here's a nuttall's woodpecker that came up on the deck looking for peanuts.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9336448

That warbler is a great bird, ducbucln. And congrats on the Redpolls, Burn.

Hairy Woodpecker (If you remember a conversation this summer, this is one of those feeders I bought with the fluff), Downy Woodpecker looking a little funny and a Cedar Waxwing. The Waxwing was seen in town. My son took this one and I had never seen the tail flared like this before.

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean      

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9338013

Great photos Chilly, including your son's!

I know some of you are going to be traveling this week so I wanted to wish all of you a Happy and safe Thanksgiving. \
We have ten wild turkeys that come to raid the birdseed under the feeders. The deer don't know what to think of them and seem more curious about them.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9338429

oh my gosh, that deer is adorable. What kind of deer do you have out there?

Here is a belted kingfisher I was lucky enough to see. Not a lifer, but first of 2012.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9338465

awwww...love the turkeys and the deer!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9338553

Good catch with the Belted Kingfisher, Mrs. Ed. Oh duc, how adorable is that little deer with the wild birds!

Here I've couple of Mallard pair, then Mallards and friend the American Coot. Then to my delight several of the Eastern Blue Birds were taking turn to check out a new Nestbox DH has put up and they even explored the gourd houses that were intended for Martins. I got a glimpse of a gold finch in the back yard, as well as a pair of Ruby Crowned Kinglets. I was sure they were, but didn't stop for a photo op. I was tickled pink to have seen them though.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

November 21, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9338941

I seem to be having trouble uploading pictures so I will just tell you that the Northern Flicker is still coming around, he is so pretty and he is not scared of us at all. When the page lets me, I will post a picture of him, he is so beautiful and I have tried so hard to entice him that I can't help taking pics of him.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9339184

Mrs. Ed, we have the black-tailed aka mule deer in our area. That is one great photo of your kingfisher.

Lily, cute photos of your mallards and I love the gourd houses!

Emptyeyes, glad you're still seeing your flicker.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9339441

Thanks duc, the Gourd houses were meant for Purple Martins, the Blues birds are much loved, but I hope they won't claim those houses.
1. Red Bellied wp
2. Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
3. Downy wp.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love      

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

November 22, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9339850

I have a quick question, if the pileated woodpecker has visited your suet cake feeder on the tree twice, do you think he will come back? Right now I have a starling that has discovered the suet and is trying my patience. Unfortunately they are not of the mammal family so hot sauce will not bother them. I think when that suet is gone I will leave it emply for a couple of days and see if he goes away.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9340009

Lily, loved your photos and am especially glad that red-bellied is still coming around your feeders.

Emptyeyes, I don't know if taking away the suet will stop that starling from coming around. Our three just stay most of the year in the same area of trees. Can't answer if the pileated will return but my downys and nuttall's woodpeckers all return for our peanut butter log each year so I'd say there's hope for you.

Here's a downy woodpecker enjoying a persimmon and a white-crowned sparrow.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

November 22, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9340123

Just one pic from me, actually got some shots of an American Kestrel sitting on the power line in the neighbors yard.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9341141

Nice one gardenpom!! I am seeing so many Kestrels this fall!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9341199

Haven't seen any Kestrel here, so glad you've seen them. Love those wp and the sweet looking white-crowned sparrow Duc.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

November 24, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9341228

I seem to have an abundance of house finches this year, and the northern flicker keeps coming back. I still have not gotten any of the pileated, if he shows up it is usually when I am not home. I had a video of the northern flicker eating the suet, but I can't upload it to this page because it is too big, so I will just have to settle for still shots. So here are some I took today and as you can see my winter birds are showing up, thankfully no Juncos yet, they usually mean a lot of snow, and I don't want any of that. 1.Of course the first is the male northern flicker,2here are the house finches,3.and last but not least the Cardinal.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes      

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9341250

ducbucln, We'll be getting a couple persimmons in our organic bin this coming week, I guess if we don't like them, I'll set them out for the birds. :) I'd have to figure out a way to hang them or bring the uneaten overnight, so our neighborhood possum doesn't partake.

emptyeyes, If only the Juncos heralded in the snow... We've had the dears since October and not a single flake in the air. :(

We've been doing nothing but feeding mostly HOSP, so everything has been brought in except for what the HOSP haven't figured out yet. The sock feeder for finches, peanuts in the shell, and the various woodpecker feeders. The house sparrow numbers have drove most of the other smaller birds off. Today, they keep coming to scout for food, and I don't think we can get them to totally move on because we have such great hiding spots for them and liquid water. Our Harris's sparrows have moved on. I really liked those guys and were about the only reason I tolerated the HOSP, since they flocked together.

That is mostly a groan, not really seeking advice. We've tried just about everything we can think of to discourage them. They've eaten Nyjer, safflower, suet in a Starling stumper, etc. etc. etc.

Here is a happy-to-see-bird when we went birding on Thanksgiving day. It took more than a year, but now I finally have a decent Chickadee photo for our life list album. I don't remember if I posted this second one. This little Junco dear figured out how to eat the seed/nut/fruit ball thingie.

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean         

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

November 24, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9341260

I have a seed bell and I would love to put it out but have to figure out how to do it so the squirrels don't chew the tab that holds the bell to the shepherds hook or whatever we put it on. Thought of dipping it in the crushed red pepper flakes or pouring hot sauce over it, any suggestions?

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9341272

emptyeyes,
From audubon.org... "“Use no additives in seed or nectar. Capsicum [the genus for hot peppers] irritates the eyes of humans and is likely to do so with birds as well. We do not recommend adding capsicum to bird seed.”" Though prior to this the site said no studies have proven this. But then subjecting any animal to this type of study wouldn't be good, either.

I always tend to be on the cautious side. Could you use vaseline or something on your shepherd's hood to keep the squirrels off instead, or put up some type of baffle?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

November 24, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9341285

I would have to wire tie the smaller shepherds hook to the bigger one, the larger one only has one hook on it and we were thinking of attatching the smaller one to it and there have another hook, I think I could smear some vasoline on it, I sure don't want the birds to get their eyes irritated with the red pepper.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9341867

Fantastic shots folks.

Emptyeyes, I enjoy all of the birds and squirrels that come to my feeders. They are all God's creatures and enjoy a good meal. It matters not who eats what, they are all enjoyable to photograph and to watch. Try it, it may just make the birding adventure more enjoyable for you.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9342089

Well said GG. Besides I'm too lazy to try and fight the house sparrows. I can't wait until the woodpeckers show up more often to deter the sparrows from the suet. My squirrels are pretty well-behaved.

A sad weekend as we finally had to shut the pump off in the pond, so not as many birds flitting around the stream.

And an interesting note, Friday was a huge day in the Chicago area for Sandhill Crane migration. The bird listserv was all abuzz and reported about 10K to pass through that day alone. I would like to have been in that flight path!

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9342097

Re. the Sandhill Crane migration, being IN the flight path would be great--being UNDER it, not so much fun. LOL

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9342123

Hahaha, love your sense of humor GG. emptyeyes, I agreed with the two ladies. There must be abundant for all to enjoy. I do have my favorites, but I wouldn't try to irradicate one species over the other. In fact, I try to lure the squirrels away with left-over bread. Is that acceptable, will they be sick on eating bread, anyone knows? Thanks.

Mrs. Ed. I wished if I could see those cranes in person. How lucky can one get? But like GG already said, [quote] ... being IN the flight path would be great--Being UNDER it, not so much...[/quote] ROFLMHO

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

November 27, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9343763

I don't mind squirrels on the ground eating spill, but don't like them on a feeder. We have a baffel on our tube feeder & DH cut a small bit of the tree from which they were jumping on to it. the higher branches are at the wrong angle for them to cling to the baffle.

Purple finch has shown up & red bellied woodpecker returned to the suet feeder.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9343873

OMG...would love to see 10K Sandhill Cranes!!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

November 27, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9344091

I saw a small flock in WI about 3 yrs ago. I had never seen them before.
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

November 27, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9344147

Taken at Tule Lake yesterday.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9345566

Well said GrannyG. All critters are welcome at my feeders too.

I can't imagine what that many cranes would sound like but I'd sure like to see them.

Adel, that eagle closeup is spectacular. I sure wish our eagles would come that close.

My birds started coming back after the last hawk attacks and now another one showed up yesterday. It managed to scare off all my small birds and then sat in a distant tree and enjoyed a shower in the falling rain.
Still several northern flickers here enjoying the persimmon tree.
This ruby-crowned kinglet is enjoying the peanut butter/nuts log on our deck.
Here's a female nuttall's woodpecker enjoying some of the peanut butter too.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9346116

Oh...love that kinglet shot duc!!

A Blue Jay has learned how to land on the feeder that GG mad me(designed for small birds really!)and pick out the peanuts!

Blue Bird

One morning we had 3 Hairy Woodpeckers out here at the same time! The 2 males in the tree and the female on the suet.

And we still have at least 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch around!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9347002

Wow Nanny, three woodies! Good for you. Loved seeing all your photos and wish I could get our bluebirds to come to the water like this.

Here's my yearly visitor and still considered a rare bird in our area, a slate-colored junco. I know most of you see these every day, but we don't.
I was out on the deck practicing with my new 300mm f/4 lens and the teleconverter when this Anna's hummer landed nearby.
Here's a different view of our female nuttall's woodpecker that loves the peanut butter/nuts log.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9347543

Wow duc...sweet!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9347601

Duc, those shots are fantastic!!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9349682

Thanks Nanny and Granny.

I'm having a good time with my new Canon 300mm f/4 lens. I can finally add my Kendo 1/4 extender to this lens and get pretty decent photos. Here's a few...
An anna's hummingbird, a sharp-shinned hawk, a dark-eyed junco and a ruby-crowned kinglet looking at me through the window.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9349752

Fabulous photos duc!!!!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9349817

Duc "pretty decent" is a really lame description for these fabulous shots! Love them. Just look at their eyes!! Wow!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9350381

WOW...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9350450

May I call upon "Santa Baby" for an early present i.e the Cannon 300mm f/4 lens, plus the said Kendo 1/4 extender to complete the package? Wishing upon a star. Lalalalala. I just can't get over those beauties, now credit has to go to the photographer behind the science, but at least I can wish for the equipments that help make the photos possible. Thanks duc.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9350666

You're all so sweet, thanks for your comments, but where are your pictures?

I was taking photos of birds farther out in the garden when this little lady landed not 4 ft. from me. I told her she was naughty when she stuck her tongue out.
I'm getting a little closer to the eagles in "their" tree.
Here's a California towhee.

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9350701

Love that "naughty hummer" shot. All are fantastic.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9350868

Congrats on your new toy Duc. You have some really great shots. And It's so nice to see some hummers again!
Nanny, I'm seeing more HairyWP here too. They have this danse for dominancy for the territory, and they can be quite loud, fun to watch. Wish I could get a Bluebird in my yard.
Adel, lovely head shot of the Eagle.

I had an unsual visitor yesterday and today, it was the White-winged Crossbill feeding with some Redpolls. The Redpolls will be entertaining me this winter, I had two Red-winged Blackbird show up at the feeder yesterday, which is quite late for them, to still be around.
The Hairy and BlueJay agreed to have lunch together.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2012 10:36 PM

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 5, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9350922

A hairy has been coming to our suet feeder. It has a woodpecker tailboard so perhaps it feels comfy there.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9351152

Dear Santa. Ditto to LilyLove's request. Oh and please send me a bunch of Redpolls like Burn has.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9351558

Gee, I sure wish the redpolls would come our home too. They are beautiful Burn and congratulations on the new white-winged crossbill. That female red-winged is a pretty one too.

Here's one of our intergraded Northern Flickers with the yellow tail with a red-tailed flicker which is normally found in our area.
The ruby-crowned kinglets are sure enjoying the peanut butter log on our deck.
Lots of dark-eyed juncos are here every day.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9351844

Vicki what is that tree the kinglet and junco are on? I feel like I've asked this before.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 7, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9351971

Burn, your Redpolls are so beautiful.

Duc, fantastic shots. I'm glad we all get to enjoy your new lens.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9352369

Thank you Margaret. Mrs. Ed, that's a manzanita tree branch that we recently found and my hubby carried home for me. That red will last for a long time and make my photos a little more colorful-I hope.

Yahoo, the first two robins finally arrived today. They're in the area year round but just come to our house when the berries are ready to eat in the trees. That bad part was we're socked in by a heavy fog so the photo not too clear.
Here's a downy woodpecker enjoying the remnants of a persimmon-upside down.

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9352415

Hi, duc. Don't let a little fog deter you ... Quite often the Conowingo Dam is engulfed in fog. What is frustrating is that the place has become so popular that one has to arrive early to get a decent parking space. So, I leave home in the morning dark, drive 50 miles as the sun is just coming up. A beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky. As I start down a winding one mile road to the dam, the sunlight begins to diminish and when I arrive at water level you can't see a thing. So, I get a nice parking spot at 7:00 a.m. and sit and wait for the fog to burn off around 10:30 a.m to 11:00 a.m. That is, unless you want to get an occasional shot like these. Autofocus doesn't work too well in the fog ... The eagles must have x-ray vision since there are power lines all over the place.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum         

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9352615

That manzanita is really gorgeous. I just looked it up and now i MUST have some. hahaha.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9353144

Linth, despite the fog I love your photos. I had to laugh at what you said about the long drive and the fog. We're going about the same distance on Monday because the weatherman predicted sun just that day. I'm crossing my fingers he's correct because my husband hates the long drive over the mountains and it's very hard to get photos of snow geese in the fog.

Mrs. Ed, the hummers love the manzanita blooms!

Here's a couple Anna's hummers I got yesterday.
A scrub jay is waiting for a turn at the seed feeder.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9353375

okay Duc, i'm reinstating my claim to moving in with you. I"ll take a spot on the deck, thanks much.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9353505

Hahahaha, Mrs. Ed. Please make room for me in the corner of Duc's garden as well. Please, please, please. I must see some of those western hummingbird is my claim. lol
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

December 10, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9355091

Great shots everyone. It has been a long while since I have seen any Eagles...always hopeful when I am outside.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9357215

Thanks Mrs Ed and Lily, you're always welcome!
We took a short trip over the mountains to the Colusa Wildlife Refuge in search of the rare Falcated Duck that I got photos of last year. I was glad to see it was reported to have again returned but unfortunately it must have gone farther back into the marsh where we couldn't find it. Oh well, I did find some-
NorthernPintails-2 photos just because I love the pose in the second shot.
Northern Shoveler
and a Snowy Egret

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 13, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9357441

fantastic
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 14, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9358431

Duc, love the Pintail duck, Shoveler and Egret, and all your other birds.
Thanks Margaret. Hope you get your wish Mrs-Ed. :)

I have a few from this week during some snow and ice
A Mourning Dove, Common Redpoll, Pigeon couple, Evening Grosbeak and female White-winged Crossbill.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9358440

burn, what's great variety! Ah for Mrs. Ed. to complete her wish list, you've got to send her some of your handsome Common Redpolls too. LOL. Duc, your waterfowls variety are so beautiful! I so loved ducks. lol I do, I do.

These are the few that I see down here most often.
1. Grebe
2. Residential Pekin Ducks couple
3. The newly arrivals; Canadian Geese

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 15, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9359457

Nice Grebe, one to add to my lifer list eventually. And Peking duck too.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9359986

Burn, you do have several birds that I'd love to see. The redpolls, evening grosbeaks and that crossbill are just a few. Wonderful photos of them and the pigeon pair are adorable.

Lily, I do hope you get the hear the pied-billed grebes-always sounds like you're in a jungle when they're around. Glad the pekin ducks are back-do they stay all year? Cute one of the geese.

Here's a juvenile bald eagle that I took through the fog.
A few robins have started showing up.
A yellow-rumped warbler
A ruby-crowned kinglet
And, the cedar waxwings are arriving.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 16, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9360070

It looks like it getting a bit chilly at your place, Burn. I would also love to have some redpolls. They are a really pretty bird, as is the waxwing.

You must always be seeing something different on your lake, Kim. Nice geese.

Duc, the variety of birds you see is amazing and the quality of your photos is superb.

From a few months back, a Laughing Kookaburra sitting on the deck rail. Then, a baby Grey Butcherbird on the rail, also being fed by a parent. Last, a Little Corella.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 16, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9360074

The Rainbow Bee-eaters are back. I find them really difficult birds to photograph. They are quite shy. Then a couple of shots of a Singing Honeyeater. (I hope I haven't posted these before as they were taken a few weeks back.)

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9361578

Margaret, all your birds have such beautiful colors and show so much personality. Well done on each of them. The Little Corella is just gorgeous. My hummers would sure love those purple blooms, is that a tree or bush?

The yellow-rumped warblers continue to keep me entertained.
This white-throated sparrow is considered an uncommon arrival in our county.
Here's a couple of the nuttall's woodpeckers that also keeps me entertained every day.

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 18, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9361846

Yes Margaret it's been a bit chilly the last couple of days. But today was pretty mild at -2C. A snow storm of about 35 to 40cm is headed our way for tonight and tomorrow. I expect it to be very busy at the feeders tomorrow.
Awesome birds you have, like Duc said, just love the personality and colors of them all.

Kim I have enough Redpolls for everyone ;).

Duc , glad your being entertained by your birds as well. Your Nuttall WP is showing quite a bit of personality too. Love it.

My little lady Cardinal showed up during the day, just when the sun peak through the clouds. She usually only show up , early morning or late evening, when the light is to low for pictures.
This is the Grackle that wants to brave the winter here.
Mourning Dove, resting in the tree .

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007      

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 18, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9361942

Only seen the cock cardinal here. Glad to see our downy woodpecker interested in the suet feeder rather than doing holes in the house.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 18, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9361981

Thanks, duc and Burn. Duc, I think it's a morning glory creeper.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
3:01 AM

Post #9362028

Beautiful birds Margaret and everyone. I've a brief visitor yesterday to our neighbor's backyard. The Bald Eagle-- The Crows however, were quick to let the Eagle know he isn't welcomed here... the Eagle then took off.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 19, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9362047

well, we prefer the eagle to the crows. They should know that.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 19, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9362055

What a treat, Kim. I really like that first shot.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9363936

Burn, cute photos. I hope that grackle sticks around. They sure have pretty colors. Love the raised crest on that cardinal.

Lily, great job with the eagle photos. Our crows do the same thing. It always amazes me that the eagles will go after the ducks on the lake buy not the crows which are relatively the same size.

We counted 16 house finches in the trees yesterday. Here's some of them.

Now that the persimmons are gone in the trees, this downy is enjoying the apples. I heard some good news, the people that bought the house next door with all these fruit trees have promised me they wouldn't cut all the trees down.

Here's a bewick's wren searching for goodies.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9365068

Adorable wren!

It's another good year for Bald Eagles here. When we first moved here in 2003, there were maybe 5 at the most. Last year we were over 20. I just about stopped breathing when I saw these eagles sitting in the river. Usually they are always in the trees or in flight.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 22, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9365166

Fantastic, Mrs Ed! Enjoying the new lens?

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9365284

Why yes I am. And I'm also enjoying the sun!
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9365321

Excellent Bald Eagle images, Mrs. Ed. Nice and crisp. MY Bald Eagle "season" is basically over. I'm just about "eagled" out ! If that's possible ... It's been a fairly decent "season". Glad to hear that your eagles numbers are increasing.

Duc, great photos, as always. I really like the Downy Woodpecker photo.

Lily ,also glad to hear that you had some eagle visitors. Many of the Bald Eagles have started to build or reconstruct their nests. In fact, some are already nesting. Here is a link to a webcam in Fort Myers, FL. She is currently sitting on two eggs.

http://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9365325

It's so weird Charlie that your season is ending when ours just begins. Thanks, as Margaret mentioned, I finally got a decent lens. It sure does make this hobby more satisfying.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9365402

Wow Mrs Ed, those are beautiful photos of the eagles. Glad they moved down to the water for you. Is that ice melting on the rocks already? Glad you're enjoying that lens.

Got this hummer when the rain clouds opened for a couple minutes.

A small flock of western bluebirds enjoyed some berries on the toyon trees.

Merry Christmas everyone, please make it a safe one!

This message was edited Dec 23, 2012 6:51 PM

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9365407

good grief those are colorful photos Duc!!! That's not Ice melting on the rocks, that's Ice forming on the rocks. It is right below a small dam. It's from that storm we had with a couple inches of snow.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9365498

Thanks Mrs. Ed, sorry it's so cold there for you.

Linth, I forgot to thank you for the eagle cam link-mom sure is busy straightening up the soft nesting materials.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 23, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9365521

blue & red berries are certainly colorful.
f_chisolm
Richland, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9366448

Merry Christmas everyone
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 25, 2012
1:36 AM

Post #9366504

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9367017

Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to everyone. I need to borrow Duc's photos of the blue birds and red berries (above) for greeting cards. :)

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9367336

Hope everyone had a nice holiday!

I have seen this Red-shouldered hawk a couple of times now.

Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56         

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9367419

Hope Santa was good to all of you.

Nanny, looks like that crow will do its best to chase off the hawk. Wow on so many woodies coming for your suet cakes.

It's been pouring every day here but that just makes more birds come around closer.
Here's a scrub jay, a bewick's wren and a couple with robins that arrived yesterday.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9367651

That's some mighty fine exposure work for rain! I just love that wren. Oh and I'll take the Toyon bush too.

Nan, it's good to see the downy and hairy together like that.

I don't usually see a Flicker at the suet, so this was a surprise.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed         

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9368352

Mrs. Ed, look how different your Flicker's "whisker" compared to that of Duc's intergrated Flicker's! Nan, I still can't tell the different from the two woodies, though I know one is slightly bigger than the other.

I've a visiting flock of sparrows, I think perhaps White-crowned? The reason I think white crowns instead of white throat is that I don't see the yellow marking on these, but it was so nice to see one discovered the feeder, then it came back with 4 or 5 of its kind. Duc, love those Jay, wren, and even the Robin looks more colorful than I can ever capture them.

Other backyard's birds at the feeder this fine morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

December 27, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9368376

The first picture I am not too sure what the name of this bird is, the second of course is the male cardinal, the third is the female and the last but not least is the wren, he does not stick around long so to get this shot was not easy. It is strange, I always thought the Junco was a winter bird, but since it snowed this time I have not seen any!

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9368498

Kim, those are Female Purple finches in your first two photos.

And EE, looks like you've got a AmericanTree sparrow there with your Female cardinal. First picture just looks like female house finch to me.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9368540

Kim, love your purple finches and cardinal pair. Looks like they'll all stay around to enjoy the seeds.

EE, cute photos of your house finch, cardinals, sparrow and Carolina wren.

Here's a black phoebe, a cedar waxwing and a ruby-crowned kinglet with its eye on an apple.

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 27, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9368648

Duc, some really great shots you got there. love the close up of the Phoebe.
Hawk season under way there, Nanny. They have started to make their round here too. I've seen the Cooper a few time. Like how you took the Hairy and Downy together.
Lily is the Purple finch a new one for you? Glad you got a shot of it for your record if it is.
Mrs-Ed, your doing a fine job with that lens. Wonderful!!!
Empty Eyes, you seem to be getting a nice assortment of birds at your feeder.

Some Crossbills has been coming to the yard, the past week. And have had a few Hoary Redpolls.

The first is the Red Crossbill male, second is a Common Redpoll, Third is the female Red Crossbill, fourth is the White-winged Crossbill female. And last is the Hoary Redpoll

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9368766

Oh mine, oh mine! So I do really get purple finches. I've had a hard time differentiate them with housefinches. Many thanks Mrs. Ed and burn for the positive I.D. I knew I get them, but this apparently was their first arrival for the season. Love the Black Phoebe duc. I saw that very bird when I visited Sacramento a year before last. Looks like I need to return for another visit to California. Love that Waxwing and the Kinglet eyeing the apple, terrific shots! Burn, the crossbills and the various Redpolls are so lovely. I don't get to see them around here ever. :(

I have two types of woodpeckers frequenting the suet cake, the Red Bellied, and Downy, also saw a female Pine Warbler today.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9368768

p.s. A redwinged blackbird suprised me today at the feeder. Usually they travel in large flock, and forage the ground rather than flying high in search of feeder.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9369004

Enjoying all the pics!

Congrats on your P. Finches Lily!!

Nice shots as always duc...jealous that you see the kinglets so easily and often!! I love the Black Phoebe too.

Burn it is always a treat to see what shows up at your house during the winter!

Not really much here. Lots of Juncos now with the cold and snow and I finally have seen several White-throated Sparrows. The Cooper's hawk does pass by pretty regular this time of year. One did get one of our Hairy Woodpeckers, which upset me. But that is nature.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9369145

Burn, I just love those crossbills and that redpoll is such a pretty bird.

Kim, you're so lucky to see the red-bellied wps and a pine warbler too. Cute photos of them all. I love the red-winged blackbirds and have just a few come to my feeder each year. I always hope that more will come up close for the sunflower seeds. Guess it's that hope with all the birds every year.

Now that the hawks are staying away, the Calif. quail are beginning to again come out of the brush, this is a female.
The lake looked so blue in the background for this robin picture.
Here's another robin picture and last is my friend, a nuttall's woodpecker.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9369297

YAY Quail!!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9369488

What nanny said. Can't get enough of those cute things.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9369531

Those are really cute! What's cuter is I can see the detail on Duc's photos that I did never see before in my close up photos. I'm at awe. Thanks Nan. The female purple finches didn't return this morning for some reason. I'll be looking for them this weekend.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9370719

With the cold and snow I have had American Tree Sparrows show up. Sorry the quality is so bad but bad light & thru a dirty window doesn't make for a good pix!!

Also have had the Carolina Wrens coming due to the weather.

And last is a shot of a Starling, Red-bellied Woodpecker and a Red-breasted Nuthatch.

oh...almost forgot the Tufted Titmouse!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9370796

Hah, I did see one female Purple finch today before I went and looked at the Eagle nest. No Eagle found, but the nest appears intact. I was tickled pink with this cute practice shot (of my new Canon camera) of the Carolina Chickadee.

Nan I can see the Starling all puffed up due to the cold on that first pic. once it's enlarged. The second one Sparrow, is that the Tree Sparrow? Love both of the Wren and TT.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9370818

Yes...The second one is the American tree sparrow...sorry the are out of order!! lol

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 30, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9370995

with snow overnight, the juncos showed up today. Perhaps their other food sources were covered up.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9371100

Oh and a little red-breasted nuthatch! Congrats Nanny on a cute collection.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9371232

Thanks Mrs. Ed! We have at leat 2 of the RBN's this year...i enjoy watching them so much!

I feel I am out of my league anymore with my little P&S and it is getting harder for me to take photos with my balance issues. So a decent shot is rare these days. I am almost to the point of having to get a tripod as I am unable to hold the camera steady enough some days.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9371244

try a monopod first. that might be more mobil. but a tripod is good too.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9371323

Great shots all. Nanny, I too am way outgunned also on this Forum. LOL I get to see the great shots others take.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9371677

Great pics everyone!

This thread's getting a mite long now so I'll start a new one for the new year in a few minutes. I'll close off with a Great Black-backed Gull.

Please head on here for 2013: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292419/

Resin

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 12:12 AM

Thumbnail by Resin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America