-
AuthorContent
48flash
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9333270

I confess to an infatuation with agaves and have a few in my yard and also some in pots. Not a super collection like Germanstar, but enough to keep me happy. My favorite agave is A. parryi. I love the form, the color, the size, and the fact that it does well here with little attention. My favorite of the parryi are the truncata variety.
So yesterday at HD I happen on this 15 gal beauty. What really caught my eye is that this is not a solitary plant, but rather three equal size heads growing out of a common center. Can't say I have seen this before in truncata, in fact I don't think I have ever seen pups on a truncata. I assume the core of the original plant was damaged, either by accident or intentionally, and this is the result. Now to find a suitable place to plant it--------

Thumbnail by 48flash   Thumbnail by 48flash
Click an image for an enlarged view.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9333366

That's a pretty one!

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9333415

Same here falsh, I now have 10 and A. parryi is one of them. If I would have seen that, I would have had a bakers dozen. Nice find.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2012 9:27 PM

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9333427

Very nice, if a bit sun-starved. Very few Agaves pup more prolifically that A. parryi truncata, provided they receive supplemental water. Grown hard, like all Agaves, they're more likely to live the solitary life. The good news is that IMHO, no Agave is better suited toward life in the VOTS. They take full sun, are reasonably hardy, and are nearly vermin-proof. Nice find!

Thumbnail by GermanStar
Click the image for an enlarged view.

perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

November 15, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9334123

I am sure there are far more Agaves that survive in your area than mine which is a shame cause I quite like them.

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9334127

I'm sure that's true. Get a lotta wet there, do you? Texas is too big to keep track of, but I know a lot of it is fine Agave country. Our biggest issue is sun/heat; I'm always pleased as punch with any Agaves that can take full sun here, because most require afternoon shade, which is in short supply.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

November 16, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9334522

Yeah this time of year is nearly a sure death for all but the true natives from this area. With the cold fronts comes the many rains and then the nearly freezing temps with soggy cold ground. I know there are Agaves that survive well for my area but grow so slow that I'll be dead before I see it big.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 16, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9334800

Perko, you get almost 4 times the rainfall we do. I guess that puts the arid garden in some perspective.

Four pictures of A.p.t. plants around here tell a little story. First picture was taken today, second is the same plant 2 years ago. Third picture is the eldest offset today, fourth is the same plant 2 years ago.

I don't water the mother plant very much and it's been several months since we had proper rain. That plant has only pupped once since I put it in (and I whacked it on first sight). Once it gets to a reasonable size, I'm going to stop watering and see what happens.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

48flash
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9334958

All of my in ground agave, including the parryi plants get no additional water beyond what rain we receive. I assume that as natives of the Sonoran desert they have adapted to a very dry climate. My parryi plants each produce 3-4 pups per year with the exception of truncata which has not produced a pup in over 10 years.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America