Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu): Happy Tree for my garden! :)

Communities > Forums > Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu)Replies: 1, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9333284

Can it be found in the USA, now? I have maples, green willows, magnolia, weeping cherry, and Red Lace Leaf Japanese maples growing in containers. I don't have the area to plant them, but I have lots of sunshine. Beauty in smaller stature! Could I do that w the Happy Tree?
This year I bought my first pink Shrimp Plant. I love it! But never heard of a blue one which I will be looking for info about it! Have a good day!:)
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9339272

C. acuminata may now be more difficult to find in the USA because I think China put a ban on export several years ago (apparently for environmental reasons, due to reduced numbers of Happy Trees in their native habitat). I have successfully propagated C. acuminata from cuttings for a friend in Georgia that wanted some. It might be a bit too cold in winter in your neck of the woods (Staten Island) for the Happy Tree. They prefer the warmest tropical areas of China and are really only marginally hardy (dies back in winter freezes, but returns each spring) in my Zone 8b/9a garden.

Happy Gardening!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jeremy always a delight! "Happy Tree" chrissy100 5 Nov 6, 2007 1:57 AM
Camptotheca acuminata onsmith 1 Sep 28, 2009 10:49 PM
happy tree WELLSDRY 4 Oct 5, 2009 11:06 PM
happy tree lavender49 1 Sep 29, 2009 12:59 PM
Happy Tree EFGeorgia1 4 Oct 3, 2009 2:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America