Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-South Gardening: Rust (I think) on hydrangea

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sassyfras
Mount Juliet, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9333714

I purchased 2 endless summer hydrangeas this year. I planted one in the front yard, one in back.They both developed a rust color to their leaves and brown circular spots. I went to my local nursery and described these symptoms and he gave me a product to control rust, fungus and black spot. I used it faithfully but did not see any improvement. I mulched last week and stripped the plants of any remaining leaves and raked thoroughly to remove any leaves that might be on the ground, then mulched. I am not sure if I can cut this plant back or if it reblooms on old wood. Can anyone give me any pointers? It will be much appreciated

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 20, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9338558

I am not that familiar with sick hydrangeas, but maybe someone will come along with the answers you need.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9339772

I'm not familiar with the disease, but you shouldn't cut back anymore now as you won't have any blooms next year. Wait until they bloom and then cut back. I'll try to do some research and see what it may be and what you can do. Could be a leaf spot and something that won't really affect it much.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9339788

Here is one explanation:

http://www.tlehcs.com/recommended plants/shrubs/endlesssummer.htm
There is a photo you could compare to. An extract from this article says:
Finally, don't be alarmed if the leaves of your `Endless Summer' become covered with purplish-edged spots in mid- to late July through the end of the season, below left. The spots are caused by a very common disease that infects young leaves as they're expanding during wet weather in early spring. The disease is harmless and may not occur in years when spring weather is on the dry side.

And another article says you can prune in later winter and after blooming. ES will bloom on new and old wood.

Carolinaflower8

Carolinaflower8
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2013
3:33 AM

Post #9478459

It is probably cercospora leaf spot. Unfortunately, it is pretty much impossible to get rid of...you just try to control it. You have done the right stuff, so far. Another help is try not to water overhead. I start spraying mine at the beginning of leaf development. It is harmless, but can look bad if it gets too abundant.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America