Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lettuceman
Dayton, WA

November 15, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9333892

I was given some goat manure mixed with a little straw last Summer. I made compost using the manure and shredded leaves. The end result was beauftful looking compost. My question is, what is the best manure to use in composting? I've been told that Sheep manure is tops. Anybody??
Opa_In_Ga7b
La Grange, GA

November 16, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9334995

curious myself as i have found a local source for rabbit manure. anyone?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9335010

Manures vary in nitrogen content. You can probably find a table comparing them. For me, best = cheapest.
DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9337759

Yes, all manures have different N, nitrogen, levels. Compost whatever you can get from non-meat eaters and you will have gold. Poultry produce hot, high Nitrogen, manure so it should be composted quite well. Everything else, goat, cattle, sheep, lama, alpaca, it is all good. I have raised a lot of animals, composted all of them and they all do well. Some, however, carry more seeds and need to be hot composted to kill those oats, wheat, weed seeds, etc. I like to stick with the ruminant animals, having a stomach divided into four compartments and chewing and regurgitating partially digested food. Why? Well because ruminants chew regurgitate and chew again, processing their food multiple times. Thus, less weed seeds because they are mostly crushed and grinded multiple times, pre-composed if you will. However, I still compost them in the end, so to speak. No meat eaters! Stick with, lama, goat, sheep, deer, alpaca etc. and all will be good.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America